Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,996 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice (49794 Views)

My Room Transformation Progress With Cost Breakdown(Photos) / 4 Bedroom, 4.5 Baths Construction With Cost Breakdown / For Sale: Newly Built 20 Rooms Self-contain Hostel, With Borehole For N25M (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 2:44pm On Oct 23, 2017
Mrjaz:

8million naira for what na
visit the builder's market bro
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 2:51pm On Oct 23, 2017
Mrkumareze:
toastedbread:

i wld NEVER advice a client to do a lintel and tie it all round the structure because like they say; its gives the building strength, prevents cracks or helps carry the roof etc etc... so many reason ppls give.

A lintel isnt same as a beam? in-fact unnecessarily putting lintel all round is an added load on the structure (in places like Ajah with water-logged land) it cld collapse the building under weight...

IF YOU'RE SURE OF YOUR FOUNDATION, BLOCK SETTING, WHY WORRY?

Lintel i repeat is just a bridge, the only reason it was designed into a building is because of the void created by windows and doors - its not a structural element.

NO STRUCTURAL ENGINEER DESIGNS A LINTEL, I'm yet to see one - what they design is beams and columns - I'm sure there must be a reason why?

U can use L Sections steel, wood, flat bars etc for you lintel - CARRY GO.... (just do it right using a professional)

Thanks....

6 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by jamal230(m): 3:11pm On Oct 23, 2017
Edison design for you floor and walls call 08037688028

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by sonety2k(m): 3:14pm On Oct 23, 2017
saydfact:

@ Daboomb - Did u also notice the builder here also didnt introduce the beam you're talking about? experience on building shd tell one when and when not to introduce certain feature -ITS JUST A BUNGALOW, WHAT FUNCTION WLD THE BEAM BE SERVING?

At Gbolex - i tell u, considering those pple cant pay much, i cant advice my client to do the secone phase ooh...

Please What's the rate of self contain going for per year
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 3:19pm On Oct 23, 2017
sonety2k:

Please What's the rate of self contain going for per year
at Ilese its 54k max
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Jointhemiltons2(m): 3:19pm On Oct 23, 2017
modelmike7:
GOOD GREAT JOB.
KEEP IT UP Bro.

Total cost is over 8 million Naira and less than 9 million Naira... That's a very reasonable amount.
Now, I'm having some new ideas.

Great job Op, hoping to get in touch with you soon!!
God bless our hustle!
So the total amount for building dz is just 8/9mil? Wow nice

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by kingxsamz(m): 3:32pm On Oct 23, 2017
Nice

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by kopell: 3:42pm On Oct 23, 2017
Daboomb:

I love your sense of colour!
The combination is really exquisite.

BTW: Nigerians dont like to read at all or how come more than ten people keep asking the same question that has been asked and answered, over and over again? (How much did it cost to build this house?) grin grin
My brother thanks for picking that up, not only reading oh. They don’t listen or pay attention to details too.

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by delishpot: 3:48pm On Oct 23, 2017
Lovely. More blessings
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by gbolex(m): 3:51pm On Oct 23, 2017
Your client will be spending over 23 years before ROI
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 3:53pm On Oct 23, 2017
gbolex:
Your client will be spending over 23 years to before ROI

He's not in the country, he built to honour those asking him to do something on his dad land... lol
he's yet to see the building except through pics i sent to him..

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Nobody: 3:57pm On Oct 23, 2017
@saydfact, how much would it cost to build a four flat two bedroom ensuite on an half plot in the suburbs of Lagos?
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by cooljoe7(m): 4:05pm On Oct 23, 2017
That's nice.
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 4:06pm On Oct 23, 2017
ollah1:
@saydfact, how much would it cost to build a four flat two bedroom ensuite on an half plot in the suburbs of Lagos?

4 bedroom flat with 2 rooms ensuite - depending on finishes shd be around 5m-6m

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by ogoplus: 5:25pm On Oct 23, 2017
saydfact:
I went with different colours for the flats, to give it a unique look different from all other hostel in the area.... at this stage everyone wanted a room in our new hostel.....

I was also busy with new works in Lagos and couldn't travel to take final pics of the project; but what we have here is close to the final pics.

Lalasticlala for a project in Ilese, Ogun State beside the School of Health - what do you think?

Thanks for following - Let's discuss.

Money well spent!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Petitol(m): 5:31pm On Oct 23, 2017
Nice work
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by PTNL: 6:02pm On Oct 23, 2017
Well done bro. This is a nice job. Could u plz lemme have your number on 08035094801

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by eddyline(m): 6:16pm On Oct 23, 2017
saydfact:
Our wiring was done with Nigeria Cables.....

this is one product you cant compromise on - for whatever reason..

Dont just try it...

I noticed tour stand for the tank is not welded but rather... Dont know the right word. screwed together. how strong is this compared to the welded version?
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 6:44pm On Oct 23, 2017
eddyline:

I noticed tour stand for the tank is not welded but rather... Dont know the right word. screwed together. how strong is this compared to the welded version?

Believe me when I say it's stronger and more expensive... On of those anchor is 4500 naira.
(the right name is Salford clips)

It's the standard method used in erecting scarfold in multi storey structures

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by piagetskinner(m): 6:47pm On Oct 23, 2017
very nice op...I'm guessing each room will go for around 150k
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by okikigsm: 7:00pm On Oct 23, 2017
Good work op.you economised to the extent of not having a plan.agbari na everything.
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 7:02pm On Oct 23, 2017
okikigsm:
Good work op.you economised to the extent of not having a plan.agbari na everything.

I'm an Architect... We even did approval and survey plans...

Approval cost about 400k and that's not part of the 8m spent on the building itself

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Glocal1: 7:22pm On Oct 23, 2017
saydfact:
Hi NL Property Followers,

I just completed this project some months back and I purposely followed my advice to you all on how to save / reduce cost of construction (see my signature - if you missed those threads) and its time to share them with you....

For each stage, I'll be explaining how cost was saved where we did, and other advice along the way....

Lets start with DAY1 pics below where againt my expectation the 'bushes' on site had not been cleared 100% - so we had to get to business and quickly so.

Lesson 1: Always make sure the site has been cleared days to; on this day we were lucky there was no trees, just overgrown bushes.
What is your profession bro? A builder or and architect.

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by rajman4001(m): 7:24pm On Oct 23, 2017
Nice one. Good Work. ..
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Sunnyja: 7:44pm On Oct 23, 2017
Daboomb:

Too much cost savings, is not good in the long run.

It is always, mostly "penny-wise, pound-foolish".

I understand you are trying to manage cash-flow but there are BASIC thing sin building that you should not compromise!
At least, get Concrete Pillars in the four corners of the building, (and maybe at some in-between Points.
That wont kill you now?

I like it that you did a german floor and did not try to save-save on that one too.

Breaking walls for Pipes and Wiring (after erecting the building) really annoys me as l feel it weakens the whole structure. If you must do conduit then plan it from the onset
It was a grate concept, but using scaffolding pipes for overhead tank! What happens when those clips starts to rust? Also, it means that there was no plan to have gate in the self contain considering the span of each unit. These are my few observation. Once more, grate work.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 9:58pm On Oct 23, 2017
Glocal1:
What is your profession bro? A builder or and architect.
Architect
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 10:02pm On Oct 23, 2017
Sunnyja:
It was a grate concept, but using scaffolding pipes for overhead tank! What happens when those clips starts to rust? Also, it means that there was no plan to have gate in the self contain considering the span of each unit. These are my few observation. Once more, grate work.

Ur comments on scalford clips implies u maybe do not have adequate knowledge of them... They last the life of the building and can easily be replaced without calling any workman to do same...

For as long as 20yrs.. You're covered and even beyond... Its like saying the piped wld rust and the tank wld fall...

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by saydfact(m): 10:05pm On Oct 23, 2017
Sunnyja:

Ur comments on scalford clips implies u maybe do not have adequate knowledge of them... They last the life of the building and can easily be replaced without calling any workman to do same...

For as long as 20yrs.. You're covered and even beyond... Its like saying the pipes wld rust and the tank wld fall...

Where I live, my landlord has installed his for close to 20yrs without replacing..

1 Like

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by true2home(m): 10:42pm On Oct 23, 2017
Hi, you did a good job on this project in terms of neatness.

That said, pls dont get offended when people ask you questions on your project. They are trying to understand your methods and the reason for them.

On piler issue, this particular one level project can do without it. The reason beening that there are lots of divider vertical wall such that it can support the roof both horizontally and vertically... we also dont experience seizmic condition much in Nigeria too. So you are good. Six units, with Kitchenettes and toilet wall, all cramed into one small build.

quote author=saydfact post=61709412]

For as long as 20yrs.. You're covered and even beyond... Its like saying the pipes wld rust and the tank wld fall...

Where I live, my landlord has installed his for close to 20yrs without replacing.. [/quote]
Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by Daboomb: 11:48pm On Oct 23, 2017
saydfact:

Firstly we didnt do conduit its all surface
secondly pillars at the corners for what? - did u see the heavy rocks we dug out of that floor? even gravel sellers were asking me to see to them.
lastly putting pillars where we have blocks on the terrace and beam - pls what function wld this serve?

i just told you we didnt put any load on those blocks - THE COST SAVING I WAS REFERRING TO IS DROPPING THE UNNECESSARY AND FOCUSING ON THE NECESSARY..

If we didnt have any block on the terrace wld the building fall? NO - we only introduced it to separate the apartments - its has no other function, remove that singular function and its a waste of time and money.

thanks for your sincere concern and advice.... maybe u shd check out my post on properties sections - I dont compromise quality

Below is a picture you supplied on page zero.

What do you call this sort of Piping?

Conduit or Surface Piping?

Again, you seem not to remember that "forces on a Building" are not just vertical?
They could be vertical, Horizontal and even sheer forces (that pull things apart)

The building elements themselves themselves (including weight of Blocks and Mortar, wood noggins and roofing sheets, e.t.c) all introduce different forces due to their weight, no matter how small (especially sheer forces) that can only be counter-balanced by adequate linking/chaining together.
And to think that because your ground is "Rock" therefore the building does not experience "ground forces" is like saying Earthquakes can NEVER occur where the ground is hard!
The Earth's crust is in continous motion and upheveal, that is a fact

Anyone who has done a little Physics would have encountered all these in a section called "Moment and Froces". (Basic level physics).

Most of us talking about adding pillars at specific points in thebuilding at looking at the "long-term" stability fo the building, not the short term.
Blocks wear and disintegrate over time, it is the concrete elements that last longer.

Anyway, what is done, is done.
We are not here to argue but to commend your work and encourage people like you even further.

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice by eddyline(m): 12:47am On Oct 24, 2017
saydfact:

Believe me when I say it's stronger and more expensive... On of those anchor is 4500 naira.
(the right name is Salford clips)

It's the standard method used in erecting scarfold in multi storey structures
I've learnt something today. will keep this in mind until such a time when am blessed

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

7-Storey Building Collapses In Banana Island, Workers Trapped / What Is That Diabolical Sign To Look Out For While Renting An Apartment? / Having Issues With My Landlady, I Need Your Honest Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.