Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,313 members, 7,822,541 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? (1981 Views)

Why Are There Too Many Poor People Who Cannot Take Care Of Their Families? / The Poor People In Nigeria Are A Terrible Lot- Nigerian Lady Says, Gives Reasons / 11-year-old Marriage Dissolved Over Wife’s Dirtiness, Waywardness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 25, 2017
Let us come together, and brainstorm.
Note: meaning comments only.
No insults. Thanks.
Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Heloct(f): 6:16pm On Oct 25, 2017
Some rich people are stinky and very dirty too.

Money doesn't determine neatness. It all boils down to your sense of personal hygiene.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by babythug(f): 6:19pm On Oct 25, 2017
While I get what you mean I won't say it's majority maybe we can say some?!

Could it be due to not neing able to afford top range cleaning products? Or
Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Florblu(f): 6:36pm On Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with the OP.
Only some uncivilized poor people appear dirty. C'mon, you can't be poor and be dirty.
You don't have to live a complicated life
Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Florblu(f): 6:37pm On Oct 25, 2017
Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Florblu(f): 6:37pm On Oct 25, 2017
Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by BiafranYouths(m): 6:49pm On Oct 25, 2017
Most of them are not dirty, they were worn out clothes that looks dirty because of their financial status.

Except some that are purposefully dirty.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by temodent(m): 8:41pm On Oct 25, 2017
I quite agree, most poor people are dirty, but I guess it has a lot to do with their their attitude than their poor state. We once had a driver in my office, a casual driver for that matter, he fell ill and because he was a bit close to me I had to visit him at home.
I visited and met the wife and I was quite astonished, they both stay in a one room face me I face you apartment and by the way let me mention the man is about 60+, their single room was kept very neat I was able to seat comfortably on their fabric chair.
I could tell there are others if you dear visit them, if they offer you anything you abruptly refuse and even find the slightest excuse to leave their house as soon as you can.
it is basically, an attitude and not necessarily the state of the pocket.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Nobody: 8:42pm On Oct 25, 2017
some of the poor people are very dirty but not majoriy.the cause is not because they are poor but depend on the level of dia personal hygiene
Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 26, 2017
temodent:
I quite agree, most poor people are dirty, but I guess it has a lot to do with their their attitude than their poor state. We once had a driver in my office, a casual driver for that matter, he fell ill and because he was a bit close to me I had to visit him at home.
I visited and met the wife and I was quite astonished, they both stay in a one room face me I face you apartment and by the way let me mention the man is about 60+, their single room was kept very neat I was able to seat comfortably on their fabric chair.
I could tell there are others if you dear visit them, if they offer you anything you abruptly refuse and even find the slightest excuse to leave their house as soon as you can.
it is basically, an attitude and not necessarily the state of the pocket.
U deserve a bottle of Jack Daniels for your commen.
Barman, give him 1.
Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by LewsTherin: 10:36am On Oct 26, 2017
I think the OP has slums in mind. Slums and areas that have a predominant population of poor people are generally dirty when compared to high brow or even middle class areas. This may be the cause or may contribute to the impression of poor people being dirty.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Nobody: 10:50am On Oct 26, 2017
I agree with the OP.. Poor people tend to appear more dirty generally than middle class or Rich...
Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Kizyte(m): 10:56am On Oct 26, 2017
Izuogu1:
I agree with the OP.. Poor people tend to appear more dirty generally than middle class or Rich...
No money to buy soap na, bro.
Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Nobody: 11:07am On Oct 26, 2017
Kizyte:
No money to buy soap na, bro.
soap na How much?
Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Kizyte(m): 11:17am On Oct 26, 2017
Izuogu1:
soap na How much?
Some people are poor to that extent bro, don't blame them, they'll rather use that money to feed than to buy soap. I hope to touch Millions of such lives positively someday.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Nobody: 11:41am On Oct 26, 2017
Kizyte:
Some people are poor to that extent bro, don't blame them, they'll rather use that money to feed than to buy soap. I hope to touch Millions of such lives positively someday.
Diz one weak me.
Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Acidosis(m): 11:56am On Oct 26, 2017
OP, some poor people appear dirty because they mostly acquire more than they can care for.

They acquire more children, more junks, etc. They place emphasis on quantity, instead of quality. In an attempt to keep up with a high lifestyle, they end up acquiring plenty junks, too many than they can cater.

Same logic applies to the eating habit of the poor. Many poor people actually eat more. Whether the food is healthy is not their business, as far as they are eating plenty plenty food, they're competing with the rich.

They born plenty children, but since they need to go out there to hustle, they have little to no time to groom these kids and they end up looking haggard and dirty. The rich and the lower and upper middle class on the other hand have enough money to outsource their chores to maids.

I don't believe the gospel of not having enough money to buy soap. A lot of dirty people can afford 100 cartons of bar soap. They simply won't buy it because buying soap "won't add anything" (quantity) to their life.
Buying soap won't make them look rich. They spend a larger part of their lives studying the outward appearances of the rich, they fail to understudy the cleaning processes behind the appearances of the rich.

Instead of spending a little fraction of their earnings on maintenance... maintenance of the little they have; they spend more buying unnecessary things to keep up with the rich. This attitude leaves them in more financially-pathetic situation.

To cap it all, the poor believes and hangs on too much on irrelevant inheritance (junks). This wouldn't have been much of a problem if they have the money to acquire a larger space. Accumulation of junks (quantity) only worsen the whole situation. Some moms would be like: Tunde, keep your clothes very well, when your brother, Emeka, grows old, he will use them. Mind you, Tunde is 17 years old and Emeka is just 3.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Oct 26, 2017
[quote author=Acidosis post=61786176]OP, some poor people appear dirty because they mostly acquire more than they can care for.

They acquire more children, more junks, etc. They place emphasis on quantity, instead of quality. In an attempt to keep up with a high lifestyle, they end up acquiring plenty junks, too many than they can cater.

Same logic applies to the eating habit of the poor. Many poor people actually eat more. Whether the food is healthy is not their business, as far as they are eating plenty plenty food, they're competing with the rich.

They born plenty children, but since they need to go out there to hustle, they have little to no time to groom these kids and they end up looking haggard and dirty. The rich and the lower and upper middle class on the other hand have enough money to outsource their chores to maids.

I don't believe the gospel of not having enough money to buy soap. A lot of dirty people can afford 100 cartons of bar soap. They simply won't buy it because buying soap "
Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Kizyte(m): 12:42pm On Oct 26, 2017
Womanpleaser:

Diz one weak me.
Yeah, but that's the truth.
Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 26, 2017
Kizyte:
Yeah, but that's the truth.
Acidosis killed it. @no_money_for_soap. Soap
Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 27, 2017
Womanpleaser:
Let us come together, and brainstorm.

Note: meaning comments only.

No insults.
Thanks.
Poor people have the most exhausting (sweating, long walks, long hours), tiring jobs.

Those jobs pay the least so the can't hide their body odour with expensive perfumes and deodorant like rich people (who are not all clean) do.
Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 27, 2017
Muafrika2:

Poor people have the most exhausting (sweating, long walks, long hours), tiring jobs.

Those jobs pay the least so the can't hide their body odour with expensive perfumes and deodorant like rich people (who are not all clean) do.
We are not discussing body odour here.
What is discussed was about dirtiness.
Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 27, 2017
Womanpleaser:

We are not discussing body odour here.
What is discussed was about dirtiness.

You missed the point. In simpler language:

That you associate poverty with dirt is a show of short sightedness.
Re: Why Are Majority Of Poor People Dirty? Is Poverty A Major Reason For Dirtiness? by Nobody: 10:32am On Oct 27, 2017
Muafrika2:

You missed the point. In simpler language:

That you associate poverty with dirt is a show of short sightedness.
Well did you sit on your brain?
Check the thread topic again.
Now tell me Mr.
Did I associate dirtiness with poverty or was I asking a question if poverty was related to dirtiness?

(1) (Reply)

The Best Of Interlocking Stones In Nigeria / What As Life Taught You So Far? / Money I Planned To Cook A Pot Of Stew And Soup With

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.