Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,315 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:44 AM

What Is The Role Of Traditional Leaders (kings, Precisely) In Igboland? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Role Of Traditional Leaders (kings, Precisely) In Igboland? (1376 Views)

Ogun To End Idolatry In Installation, Burial Of Traditional Rulers / A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland / Names Of Traditional Rulers In Yoruba Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Role Of Traditional Leaders (kings, Precisely) In Igboland? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Oct 25, 2017
I made the comment under a post but got no answer, I thought I'd make a thread so I could get answers directly from Igbo's.

So. Back in secondary school I learned that Igbo people are traditionally Republican, due to their historical belief that Chukwu is the only being that deserves to be bowed down to/submitted to without question. And, for this reason, Igbo hamlets/villages usually had a council of elders that made decisions (typically comprised of important/influential members of society). And that it was for this reason that British indirect rule couldn't work on the Igbo's (as opposed to the Hausa's who had a caste system already in place) because there was no 'king' who had an absolute say over his people.

Then apparently the word 'Eze' is supposed to mean 'king'. (I stand to be corrected) but later I learned on Nairaland that the title Eze Nd'igbo is just a title given to the leader of an Igbo community outside Igboland.

When this whole Nnamdi Kanu saga started, I saw people saying he's a Prince, his father is a king, etc which contradicted my earlier knowledge about Igbo's.

Then we have the Obi of Onitsha.

So my question is, could someone please kind of explain to me how these all relate and where kings actually stand. Are they just ceremonial leaders? Or are there different 'sub ethnic' groups within Igboland with completely different cultures?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Role Of Traditional Leaders (kings, Precisely) In Igboland? by 4kings: 12:43am On Oct 26, 2017
KingEbukasBlog Analice107 butterflyl1on johnydon22 bennyann MrPresident1 come and answer this.
Re: What Is The Role Of Traditional Leaders (kings, Precisely) In Igboland? by johnydon22(m): 12:48am On Oct 26, 2017
4kings:
KingEbukasBlog Analice107 butterflyl1on johnydon22 bennyann MrPresident1 come and answer this.

Gonna reply this tomorrow

1 Like

Re: What Is The Role Of Traditional Leaders (kings, Precisely) In Igboland? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:45am On Oct 26, 2017
4kings:

Ceremonial leaders
Re: What Is The Role Of Traditional Leaders (kings, Precisely) In Igboland? by 4kings: 7:01am On Oct 26, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Ceremonial leaders
Are the positions hereditary or through appointment?
Re: What Is The Role Of Traditional Leaders (kings, Precisely) In Igboland? by Nobody: 8:53am On Oct 26, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Ceremonial leaders
Is it after the arrival of democracy or before that the title of a King became ceremonial? Are there ancient history attached to it or is it a new development? Is there any sort of folk tale on how kings lost relevance? On how the Republican system replaced monarchy in Igboland or have Igbo's always been republican? If they're just ceremonial kings what is the relevance of the throne? The crown? When the topic of the Obi of Onitsha made it to the front page, I saw people bowing to him. Doesn't that contradict the 'no kings in Igboland' I learned earlier?

(Forgive me, I'm just very inquisitive)

1 Like

Re: What Is The Role Of Traditional Leaders (kings, Precisely) In Igboland? by Nobody: 8:54am On Oct 26, 2017
johnydon22:

Eagerly awaiting your response smiley
Re: What Is The Role Of Traditional Leaders (kings, Precisely) In Igboland? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 26, 2017
smiley
Re: What Is The Role Of Traditional Leaders (kings, Precisely) In Igboland? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:31pm On Oct 26, 2017
AnonyNymous:

Is it after the arrival of democracy or before that the title of a King became ceremonial? Are there ancient history attached to it or is it a new development? Is there any sort of folk tale on how kings lost relevance? On how the Republican system replaced monarchy in Igboland or have Igbo's always been republican? If they're just ceremonial kings what is the relevance of the throne? The crown? When the topic of the Obi of Onitsha made it to the front page, I saw people bowing to him. Doesn't that contradict the 'no kings in Igboland' I learned earlier?

(Forgive me, I'm just very inquisitive)

I really don't know exactly . But I think the introduction of a system of goverment, the unification of a country etc normally weaken the authority or power the monarchs have . It's just the same thing everywhere .

1 Like

Re: What Is The Role Of Traditional Leaders (kings, Precisely) In Igboland? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Oct 27, 2017
johnydon22:

cheesy
Re: What Is The Role Of Traditional Leaders (kings, Precisely) In Igboland? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Oct 28, 2017
Still awaiting a detailed response from an Igbo Nairalander

(1) (Reply)

Centuries Between Obatala And Oduduwa / Otun Ekiti: Ile-iyaba Will Produce New King,Dismisses Odunlade Adekola Selection / Anambras' Stand Up!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.