Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,762 members, 7,817,105 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? (23019 Views)

Atheists Scared Of Ghosts. / This Is For Those That Believe God Does Not Exist Because He Can't Be Seen / Jehovahs Witnesses that believe they are the only True Christians.Please come in (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by Daviddson(m): 2:28pm On Oct 28, 2017
I compiled this in response to varying disbelief held by many Nairalanders whenever stories of witches and the likes are "published" here. Nigerians can be very hypocritical. Many of those who are quick to dismiss the possibility of witches, ghosts, demons, etc, never fail to pray against the activities of witches and wizards, in their closet. They only want to appear modern and Behind online, whereas they believe spiritual powers exist.

Are Americans becoming less religious? While church affiliation is probably declining, don’t expect the atheist revolution anytime soon:
Over one half (63 percent, to be exact) of young Americans 18-29 years old now believe in the notion that invisible, non-corporeal entities called “demons” can take partial or total control of human beings, revealed an October 2012
Public Policy Polling survey that also showed this belief isn’t declining among the American population generally; it’s growing.
Now, PPP was among the top five polling firms in terms of accuracy in forecasting the 2012 election results, so there is good reason to take the survey finding seriously.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4163588
More to come..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by Daviddson(m): 2:48pm On Oct 28, 2017
About three in four Americans profess at least one paranormal belief, according to a recent Gallup survey. The most popular is extrasensory perception (ESP), mentioned by 41%, followed closely by belief in haunted houses (37%). - http://news.gallup.com/poll/16915/three-four-americans-believe-paranormal.aspx

TRUE LIFE STORIES OF HAUNTED HOUSES IN THE US
A haunted house or ghosthouse is a house or other building often perceived as being inhabited by disembodied spirits of the deceased who may have been former residents or were familiar with the property.
Parapsychologists attribute haunting to the spirits of the dead and the effect of violent or tragic events in the building's past such as murder, accidental death, or suicide. - Wikipedia

1. Pittock Mansion
Address: 3229 NW Pittock Dr.
City: Portland, Ore.
A 22-room French chateau in the hills overlooking downtown Portland built in 1922, the Pittock Mansion was the site of only two deaths (original residents Georgiana [1918; age 72] and Henry Pittock [1919; age 84]) and one political scandal (Pittock was able to get a water line installed to the mansion at the city's expense, despite the property being outside city limits), but since being opened to the public in 1965, it's been host to a number of ghost sightings, including floating old ladies, boots walking without legs, portraits moving of their own accord, windows opening and shutting themselves, and, perhaps most improbably, a tree with a face in it. The Mansion was also where the 1982 slasher film Unhinged and Madonna's 1993 answer-to-Sharon-Stone's- Basic-Instinct clunker Body of Evidence were filmed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by Daviddson(m): 2:56pm On Oct 28, 2017
2. The White House
Address: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
City: Washington D.C.
After his 11-year-old son Willie died of typhoid fever in 1862, Abraham Lincoln is said to have suffered aural and/or visual hallucinations wandering the WH halls, and his wife Mary Todd held seances in an effort to speak to her dead son (only to be visited by Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson instead). After Lincoln's assassination, Ulysses S. Grant continued that tradition and believed that he had contacted the ghost of Willie. Theodore Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, and Jacqueline Kennedy (among others) claimed to have seen Abraham Lincoln's ghost, and most recently Michelle Obama reported being awoken in the middle of the night by strange sounds.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by Daviddson(m): 3:04pm On Oct 28, 2017
REAL LIFE GHOST EXPERIENCES
1. Writing's on the wall
"After living in my new house for five months or so, I decide to take a shower. One of my friends had just slept over. I had taken a crap ton of showers in that bathroom already, so it's not like it was anything new. So I take my shower, get out to dry off, and look at the steamed up mirror.
On the mirror, in PERFECT writing (no human could do with their finger) read something along the lines of "Dear father, please forgive me" I completely forget the rest because I was just so freaked out. But it was terrifying. The bat door was locked the entire time, and no one could have got in. It had also never been there any other time I took a shower."
2. Mirror, mirror
"A friend of mine moved into a new home. One day while cleaning, he accidentally knocked down a hanging mirror, shattering it into hundreds of pieces. He laid the mirror frame on the kitchen table and went down to the basement to get a broom to sweep up the glass. When he got upstairs, all of the pieces had been lain, exactly to the last piece, back into the frame. My friend had only left the mirror for a minute and there was no one else in the house.

- http://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/reports/a12785715/ghost-stories-scary-spooky-reddit/
Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by Daviddson(m): 3:21pm On Oct 28, 2017
To all the post-modern and nothing-like-spiritual-powers sayers, come and see the truth. Belief in the the existence of spiritual powers is not held by "poor Africans" only!
MODIFIED

Many Europeans and Americans are highly into the occult and blood sacrifices, even whilst still claiming atheist.
cc: Analice107, Hopefullandlord, KingEbukasblog, GodsMopol

3 Likes

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Oct 28, 2017
but Africans carry am 4 dere head like gala tongue

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by Rosskii: 6:02pm On Oct 28, 2017
Riko2:
but Africans carry am 4 dere head like gala tongue

That is not true either. Americans spend billions of dollars per annum on consulting spiritualists like tarot readers, palm readers and psychics who help them communicate with their dead relatives. They even have TV programmes televising it! In fact Africans are the ones dropping all those things due to Christianity and Islam.

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by NPComplete: 7:37pm On Oct 28, 2017
Paranormal belief is different from paranormal paranoia.
How many of those Americans do you reckon kill innocent birds because their dumb arse pastor said so?
How many of them do u think see an animal they can't name and begin to shout like they just saw a ghost?
How many of them do u reckon believe their grandmother is behind their failures and drug habits?

It is one thing to believe in the supernatural, as a matter of fact, you can hardly be religious without believing in the supernatural and since most Americans are religious it is only expected they believe in the paranormal too, but it is another thing to constantly believe the supernatural are around u everywhere and are out to hurt you. Americans don't explain everything away with the supernatural as a matter of fact, they welcome scientific investigation of such things. But these backwards asshats in Africa will just say "it's not everything science can explain" without first trying to explain it with science and blocking every attempt to investigate it because they are comfortable in their delusions.

This thread is another failed attempt at justifying the pervasive proclivity for supernatural paranoia that is currently gripping Africa and fueled by fake pastors.

Fail!!!!!

48 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by Daviddson(m): 9:24pm On Oct 28, 2017
NPComplete:
Paranormal belief is different from paranormal paranoia.
How many of those Americans do you reckon kill innocent birds because their dumb are pastor said so?
How many of them do u think see an animal they can't name and begin to shout like they just saw a ghost?
How many of them do u reckon belief their grandmother is behind their failures and drug habits?
You may not know, but all these things happen too, over there. I've read at least 3 books written by an American containing true life stories of people, which included these scenarios.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by Daviddson(m): 9:27pm On Oct 28, 2017
Adaumunocha:
I'm sure you've seen grim, supernatural and the likes.... Europeans wouldn't burn millions at the stake during the enlightenment period if they never believed in witchcraft.
So the whites carry all these things for head for and now... Go on YouTube and search about ghost bustings abeg
That's it. If these things are just African stuffs, where did Hollywood get the inspiration to write horror movies involving supernatural power depictions?! Nigerians who deny these things on Nairaland are being hypocritical.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by NPComplete: 4:14am On Oct 29, 2017
Daviddson:
You may not know, but all these things happen too, over there. I've read at least 3 books written by an American containing true life stories of people, which included these scenarios.

What are the titles of the 3 books? No be only 3 na 17. And it still doesn't count.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by Daviddson(m): 10:29am On Oct 29, 2017
NPComplete:

What are the titles of the 3 books? No be only 3 na 17. And it still doesn't count.
The books are: Prepare for War, He Came to Set the Captives Free and Unbroken Curses — all by Dr Rebecca Brown.

Lalasticlala, what do you think?

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Oct 29, 2017
Witchcraft is the ability to manipulate people in a way that is pleasing to the manipulator.

It's not until you use jazz.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by gentlechyke(m): 1:26pm On Oct 29, 2017
white man creates a phone and you video chat with your brother you call it technology but when your Grandmother in the village use a mirror to see you in the city you call it witchcraft. No value for african products. smiley

63 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by livinbygrace: 1:26pm On Oct 29, 2017
No,even the white believes in witches and wizard.
Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by kay29000(m): 1:26pm On Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, white people believe in ghosts and witches, but they don't believe one witch or the other in their village is doing them. When they fail, they take responsibility for the failure, they don't blame witches and wizards.

10 Likes

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by CzarChris(m): 1:27pm On Oct 29, 2017
The word witchcraft isn't African in origin, is neither necromancy. Infact in summary, Africa dey learn work when it comes to the other side.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by ATIKUisCOOL(m): 1:28pm On Oct 29, 2017
Even if they do exist,Africans kind of witchcraft is as backward as Africa itself.
At least,we've seen what the whites had done with their witchcraft, it brought for then uneven development second to none.

8 Likes

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by Jarus(m): 1:28pm On Oct 29, 2017
It is the interpretation of the phenomenon that differs.

In Islam, we believe in an invisible creation called Jinn who share the earth with us.

The evil ones among them can be used by evil humans just as some of them can be independently mischievous.

Jinn possession is real. Jinn can be interpreted as demon in English but not exactly as some of the attributes of demon as used in English are different from the attributes of Jinn.

So anyone with good understanding of Islam, irrespective of whether African or European or Asian, will know this phenomenon.

I believe it is the lack of understanding of this phenomenon is what Africans attribute to witches

16 Likes

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by EWAagoyin(m): 1:28pm On Oct 29, 2017
There's a saying which states that: person wai never born before no go know how he dey feel to get pikin

Someone that's lucky not have encountered anything spiritual before will find it so easy to type and call people who believes in witches and spirit "backward, illiterate and so on..... Whenever I see them I just look at them like someone who ignorant of his/her environment.

If you think witches and ghosts doesn't exist go to osun river and kill a fish... The rest they say will be history.

16 Likes

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by emeijeh(m): 1:28pm On Oct 29, 2017
I don't recall Nollywood producing Ghostbursters

2 Likes

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by virus05(m): 1:28pm On Oct 29, 2017
lol, na until witch attack person the person go know say witch exist. so no jus bother yourself, They wont just believe

1 Like

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by slapandfall(m): 1:29pm On Oct 29, 2017
G
Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by Sunnycliff(m): 1:29pm On Oct 29, 2017
Chinese, Indians and some European countries believe in it too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by Flexherbal(m): 1:30pm On Oct 29, 2017
Sunnycliff:
Chinese, Indians and some European countries believe in it too
Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by chineduemmao: 1:30pm On Oct 29, 2017
Gan gan gan gan! the show is about to start mak i book space
Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by uchebest2006(m): 1:33pm On Oct 29, 2017
White witches of England! grin
Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by Silentscreamer(f): 1:33pm On Oct 29, 2017
whites believe in witchcraft but not as much as africans.
Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 29, 2017
Thank you!! Even though I believe that the superstitious -ness is too much sometimes, I find it laughable when people comment on such threads, suggesting that Africans in particular are too superstitious and "backwards". All you have to do is look beyond your nose. It's inferiority complex to believe that white people don't think like us and therefore are better than us. Shame

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by Desyner: 1:33pm On Oct 29, 2017
OP is missing something. People who deny existence of these things are mostly into one form of practice or another.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by tosyne2much(m): 1:33pm On Oct 29, 2017
Even though we are not the only people in the world who believe in witchcrafts, they do not allow that belief to dominate every aspect of their lives and fall backwards like Africa

I think the issue of witchcraft is particularly peculiar to Africans and it has colonized our minds in such a way that every misfortune is attributed to witchcrafts which has brought perpetual standstill to this part of the world.

We believe in witchcrafts but we aren't progressing, some countries don't believe in it yet they are better than us in all ramifications

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? by BrutalJab: 1:34pm On Oct 29, 2017
Only Nigerians tend to know more than their parents and ancestors whenever an issue bout there heritage and traditions are mentioned.

It baffles me whenever I see small children on NL here saying that there is nothing like Witchcraft.
Cos of little education, they believe the Whites are their saviours.

Leave Ignorant Nigerians alone. Even Seun from Ogun state dey claim rubbish. SMH

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Become An Atheist / 6 Types Of Members You Find In The Church / Mbaka: Buhari Working With Those Who Will Pull Him Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.