Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,142 members, 7,821,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

Lagos To Cotonou In 2 Days (pictures) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos To Cotonou In 2 Days (pictures) (2472 Views)

Abroad-based Nigerian Man Dies 2 Days After Landing In Nigeria (photo, Video) / Free Lagos-ibadan Train Rides Record 6 Passengers In 2 Trips (pic) / 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos To Cotonou In 2 Days (pictures) by OBALORLA(m): 3:34pm On Oct 29, 2017

From whom do I make my findings about my proposed trip to Cotonou?

I noticed her, related with her on few occasions and requested that she be featured on the blog. She not only sent in her draft earlier than agreed, she ensured every needed picture was well understood.

For a mother of one who’d stop at nothing in getting happiness through wandering, Uwonano is sure leading a life which still is a dream to many.

Here is a conversational report on her trip to Cotonou.

Getting into Cotonou

I’ve heard tons of story about crossing the Seme border from different people at varying times. While some narrate how tedious a task it is crossing the dreaded border, others recounted their sweet experience crossing this notorious demarcation. Uwonano is one of such.

Hear her.

“It wasn’t my first time of traveling to Benin Republic so I had learned a lot from my previous outings. 7am was the exact time I set out with my son (who happens to be my only trusted travel partner). We took a shared cab from mile 2 straight to Seme border where unlike many travelers, we didn’t pay a dime for crossing the border because my son got on the right side of the border officials.

Aux Martyrs Du Dimanche: The monument stands as a memorial to the victims of the coup d’état that Bob Denard and his mercenaries tried in 1977. The monument features three statues of soldiers with weapons in their hands and a flag behind them.

Welcome!

With disappointment well spelt on my face, we changed our cash immediately on crossing the border. Things have really gone bad for our dear Naira (our 1,000 is now worth just 1,500CFA). I had to stop brooding, my son mustn’t detect my state of mind since I told him we would be off to have fun.

On Getting to Cotonou

The shared cab we boarded from the border charged us 1000cfa each for taking us into Cotonou.

Brief fact about Cotonou
Aside being the country’s largest city, Cotonou is where the Benin Republic’s only seaport and international airport is. This is why it’s more popular than even the capital (Port novo)?

We again took another cab which showed us around Cotonou. As travelers, this is one of the most important things to do.
While I instructed the driver to take us to some places, he suggested others, and we ended up seeing few churches, a mosque, plazas and even culture centres.

Arts and Culture Centre

Arts and Culture Centre

Chinese culture centre

After the sightseeing, we took another shared cab to Ouidah (@ 1300cfa each), a journey which took about an hour.
On getting to Ouidah, we took a bike (1000cfa) straight to Casa del papa (one of the most popular resorts in the country).

Here’s a short one on Ouidah:

Ouidah was once a prosperous kingdom located on the Slave Coast of West Africa in what is now Benin. It rose to prominence as an exporter of slaves in the late 17th century and flourished for about sixty years before falling to the inland kingdom of Dahomey in 1727.

Casa del papa
They have a beautiful pool, a lake and kayaking is also available.

Front view of Uwomano’s room (facing the beach directly)

The cheapest rooms were about 35,000cfa but we opted for the one of 45,000cfa. It was a beautiful room which enabled us have a good view of the beach.

The next day, we went to the point of no return and Memorial Du Grand Jubile de I’an 2000).

point of no return.

Memorial Du Grand Jubilee De Lan 2000

Communication problem as travelers

Majority of the citizens speak Yoruba and a few speak English too, so this made communication easier for me even though the country is of a french colony.

“I WOULD RATHER OWN A LITTLE AND SEE THE WORLD, THAN OWN THE WORLD AND SEE A LITTLE OF IT.”

Traveling tips for those intending to Travel to Cotonou

– Travel very light. Don’t take along anything you wouldn’t be needing.
– Always be you.
– Traveling is very expensive now especially for Nigerians, so save as much as you can as that’s my secret+my husband usually helps too.
– Be happy and responsible.
– Always have your passport or Id card with you to avoid stories that touch.
– Lastly, to save cost, do more of street food, take public transport because this is one of the easiest ways for you to know the locals well and feel their culture first hand.

Uwomano’s budget for the trip was #120,000 and her infinix zero3 took care of the pictures.

Her Instagram handle contains loads of amazing pictures. Please it out via @uwomano

Please don’t forget to vote for my Blog at the 2017 travel blog awards.

Follow me on twitter and Instagram for witty and relevant updates @nomadic_negro

Don’t forget to subscribe to this blog too, as I usually send fresh posts firstly to subscribers before every other group.

there are loads of amazing adventures on the blog @ www.nomadicnegro.com

4 Likes

Re: Lagos To Cotonou In 2 Days (pictures) by Bestchisom(m): 3:41pm On Oct 29, 2017
ok
Re: Lagos To Cotonou In 2 Days (pictures) by hisgrace090: 3:54pm On Oct 29, 2017
You try.
Re: Lagos To Cotonou In 2 Days (pictures) by chukxie(m): 5:11pm On Oct 29, 2017
Nice. I'm sure you had a great time in Cotonou. I've never been there before. I'd like to visit there, and a host of other African countries in the future. Generally, what's the place and people like?

(1) (Reply)

Help! I Need To Get Work Invitation Letter For Turkey... / Online Dv Lottery Status Confirmation / Hotels Near Embassy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.