Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,318 members, 7,829,776 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Was CALABAR Ever The Capital Of Nigeria - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Was CALABAR Ever The Capital Of Nigeria (680 Views)

PHOTO: Evergreen Part Of Abijan, The Capital Of Côte D'ivoire / Oba Otudeko’s 4-star Radisson Blu Hotel Turns Glorified Brothel - The Capital / Photos Of Beautiful Child Beggars In Calabar Go Viral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Was CALABAR Ever The Capital Of Nigeria by yousouf1(m): 8:16pm On Oct 30, 2017
I have read so much about the history of Nigeria and I am yet to see where and when was the city of calabar the capital of Nigeria.
What my research revealed to me is that calabar was the capital of Oil Rivers protectorate (1884-1893) which later became Niger Coast Protectorate (1893-1900).
In 1900, the Niger coast protectorate merged with the Royal Niger company below Lokoja on the Niger River to form Southern Nigeria protectorate (1900-1906) with its capital still in Calabar.
In 1906, the Southern Nigeria Protectorate merged with Lagos Colony to form COLONY AND PROTECTORATE OF SOUTHERN NIGERIA(1906-1914) with its capital in Lagos.
In 1914, this protectorate was amalgamated with Northern Nigeria protectorate (1900-1914) to form the present day NIGERIA.
So, when was Calabar the capital of Nigeria?
Over to you the historians in the house.

(1) (Reply)

Forum Website for sale With $871 Estimated Worth For 30k Only Call Me Now / Hello I'm Buying All Gift Cards / Fake ‘burn Victim Beggar’ Busted In Anambra (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 5
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.