Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,806 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? (42498 Views)

Bunch Of USA Used Desktop Computers For Sale / Request For Quotations For Supply Of Desktop Computers / 600 Pieces Of Dell And Fujitsu Siemens Desktop Computers For Sale. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by bimbor(m): 2:05pm On Feb 21, 2007
Does a desktop have any advantage over a laptop?
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by Seun(m): 9:18am On Mar 25, 2007
1) A desktop computer tends to be cheaper than a laptop computer of similar specification
2) A desktop computer is more easy to upgrade. There's more space for new PCI cards and IDE disks to fit into.
3) Faulty accesories and components on a desktop are easy to replace, sometimes without even opening the case!

2 Likes

Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by cyprianjr(m): 12:23pm On Mar 25, 2007
well i think desktops are more rugged than laptops, anyway you need a lapy when you are the"browsing on the move" kinda person.
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by software(m): 2:58pm On Mar 25, 2007
Desktop computers do have more power than a laptop computer does.

The desktop computer has bigger monitors.

The desktop computer has more comfortable keyboards with it.

The desktop computer has a nice mouse with it.

A desktop has more nifty parts and features in it than a laptop computer can.

A desktop computer doesn't get stolen very much compared to a laptop computer.
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by mowapa(m): 3:06pm On Mar 25, 2007
The biggest advantage of Laptop to me is portability. I can show my portfolio easily.
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by otokx(m): 3:43pm On Mar 25, 2007
How about the NEPA factor?
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by Coleslove: 7:08pm On Mar 25, 2007
otokx:

How about the NEPA factor?

Get a UPS for it then, or an inverter, that will make it stay like a lappy. They've said it all. Desktop ar better dan lappy.
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by dtwsola(m): 7:52pm On Mar 25, 2007
How about performance. Notebook computers have always lagged in that area. Desktop computers have more transistors = more heat = faster performance. It isn't practical for laptops to use the advanced processors, video cards and ram that are used in desktops because 1. battery technology is just not up to task, and 2. there is not enough air flow in a laptop to dissipate the heat generated from additional transistors . In other words, laptops are hindered in their performance by the need for portability. Also I have a 22" monitor with my desktop, and I can go as large as I want. Anything above 15" looks stupid with a laptop.

Of course, you won't value the performance difference unless you are a computer enthusiast i.e. a gamer/power user. Hence most people would prefer a laptop.I do value the difference, and only use the laptop when I don't have access to a more powerful desktop.
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by Bossman(m): 3:02am On Mar 26, 2007
Okay, the desktop has all those advantages. But the major advantage a laptop has is the mobility factor. I saw someone mention monitor, mouse, etc. common people! we are talking about a laptop here. You cannot even compare them, considering the mobility advantage of a laptop. I am surfing the net using my laptop on my train ride (just like about 30% of the others on the train) in and out of downtown Chicago. On my last cruise, I was sending pictures I took as soon as we got on the ship from the balcony of my cabin as we to the western Caribbean, on the plane, at airports, I fire up the laptop and I am surfing, listening to music, watching a movie. Heck! On my last trip to Lagos last October, I was able to burn all the pics we took on to CDs and give them to family members immediately we took the pics. On way out I fired up the laptop and picked up a free wi-fi connection at the Murtala Muhammad airport, so I kept myself busy for the hour and half wait for my flight, I can go on and on.

The laptops of today are very powerful so the difference in power between a laptop and desktop is decreasing. If you look at it the other way around, I would say a laptop has more advantages over a desktop. At leasts in my humble opinion.
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by roflmao: 3:04am On Mar 26, 2007
SMH @ "more heat = faster performance"! And what has keyboard, mouse, and monitor got to do? You can easily get your desired ones and plug them into your laptop just like you do your desktop. Battery life is a dodgy claim as well. My laptop runs easily for 3-4hrs on battery and I've watched two full length DVDs back-to-back on battery.

The legitimate advantages of a desktop have already been stated: cheaper, easier to upgrade or replace components, and less appealing to a thief! But that's price for portability and mobility. The only area desktop owns laptop is advance gaming and other processor intensive applications! Any else and certainly for the average PC user(i.e 90%+ PC users!) the laptop can do as desktop.

Things are even getting better with laptops: I read that battery capable of running for 8hrs could soon be in the market, Core Duo and Core 2 Duo and similar porcessors from AMD are already finding their ways into new ranges of laptop, and wireless networking is becoming the standard so laptops are becoming more popular than ever before. Laptops have been outselling desktops over the last 2-3 years as performace gap between closes up to insignifance.

Laptop = New Testament, Desktop = Old Testament! grin
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by texazzpete(m): 10:23am On Mar 26, 2007
dtw_sola:

How about performance. Notebook computers have always lagged in that area. Desktop computers have more transistors = more heat = faster performance. It isn't practical for laptops to use the advanced processors, video cards and ram that are used in desktops because 1. battery technology is just not up to task, and 2. there is not enough air flow in a laptop to dissipate the heat generated from additional transistors . In other words, laptops are hindered in their performance by the need for portability. Also I have a 22" monitor with my desktop, and I can go as large as I want. Anything above 15" looks stupid with a laptop.

Of course, you won't value the performance difference unless you are a computer enthusiast i.e. a gamer/power user. Hence most people would prefer a laptop.I do value the difference, and only use the laptop when I don't have access to a more powerful desktop.

You clearly don't know much about the advances in processing power in laptops. there are many 'desktop replacement' laptops out there, the new Core 2 Duo processors on laptops can outperform all but the most powerful desktop processors. There are lots of gaming laptops out there, some even with dual dx10 GPUs in SLI configuration and these will play even Crysis without any problem.

17 inch laptops are commonplace, and very many of them look really good. go for a 17 inch VAIO and see if i doesn't amaze you with its beauty.

@topic
with a little bit of thinking even you could figure it out yourself. dunno why loads of people want others to think for them.
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by agnesoseka: 10:28am On Mar 26, 2007
I prefer ma laptop anyday anytime, easy access, portable list goes on,
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by carpenter(m): 12:44pm On Mar 26, 2007
It depends!

If u are usually on the move and need a system to work with, a laptop is ur best bet. But in the real sense of it, a lot of peeps under utilize their laptops. For such peeps, a desktop would have been more appropriate.

I have seen individuals that seemed convinced that they needed a laptop only to sit them down and realize they dont even know what they want. It happens all the time. Consider the cost, replacement parts, service charges, scalability, use (is it for u alone or ur football team @ home).

For most Nigerians, a desktop is most appropriate (although PHCN kinda reduces the effect of this argument). It is more rugged, easily scalable, and much easier to dispose (u could dispose in parts) and of course ur football team can use it.

Finally, why purchase a top grade system for running word processors, in my own opinion most peeps spend too much buying what they dont need. If u would be running processes that require such speed good but if u wont, why tie the money down?
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by nkc(m): 2:03pm On Mar 26, 2007
laptops r better, i stand to be challenged, it's not when u buy a crappy lappy, then u blab, peeps like us that buy highly pimped out lappys running on serious pwower, even desktops fear our presence
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by deejay1(m): 7:53pm On Mar 26, 2007
also it bad 2 shop on laptop coz its on a wireless connectivity 2 the network. your data's and account stuffs can be easily stolen. i mean other people with laptop beside you can easilt have asses to your data. however its more saver on desktop
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by deejay1(m): 7:56pm On Mar 26, 2007
but i still stand on laptop is better than desktop depending on its purpose. its mobility its very easy init and can be used anywhere
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by dakmanzero(m): 10:35am On Mar 29, 2007
tp abeg dont claim laptops can even smell desktops in terms of processing power

desktops are more powerful period. We have powerful laptops out there but they can never match the power of a similarly priced desktop

laptops are for portability, desktops are for power and customizability
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Nov 23, 2007
here's what i'll say. since getting our laptops my bro and i hardly touch our home desktop. it's just there gathering dust.

the mobility that laptops bring kills the competition from desktop! grin
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by Ralvy(m): 1:04pm On Nov 24, 2007
I like a Desktop for Power!

A Laptop for Portability!
Re: Advantages Of Desktop Computers Versus Laptops? by arvindsco: 4:53pm On Nov 11, 2011
I think desktop computers are more advantageous and very comfortable to use it. I am planning to build a new highspeed desktop computer. Please give me some ideas on the same. You can also post comments on my blog:

http://arvind-desktopcomputers..com

Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Difference Between Celeron, Centrino And Pentium? / Thread For Cisco Networking / How To Remove The Win32 Virus That Turns Files To Shortcut On Ur Hdd,flash,mcard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.