Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,639 members, 7,813,124 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:28 AM

Americanized Africans - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Americanized Africans (1519 Views)

What Is This Xenophobia With The South Africans / How Many Non-Africans Are On Nairaland? / Africans Slangs And What They Mean (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Americanized Africans by Kenya(f): 6:46am On Jun 08, 2005
Why is it that so many sisters from Africa seem to buy into this American or European way of thinking and living when they come into the U.S or other European countries?

I mean it's as if they too like a lot of African American have an identity problem of wanting to look and dress European. We have a hard time accepting our true selves.

I am starting to see allot of African American women who wrap their heads and wear African clothing and even starting to learn more about African culture's, And I am starting to see allot of African sister's with blue eye's wearing orange & blond straight hair.

It makes me mad sometimes because so many of us African American women try hard get a deeper understanding of who we are as African women in general. We have an understanding of who we are as African American's but not African's.
Deep inside we look to our African sister's as apart of our selves that we do not know. I understand that some part's of Africa was and some still are colonized by the European's, yet and still there is lot's of rich culture in Africa that's not here in America.

Being modern is cool I just think it is also just as important to represent your own identity.

1 Like

Re: Americanized Africans by bolasho(m): 8:47am On Jun 08, 2005
Really what i think the problem is here is that Africa/Africans are not appreciating and accepting the values and rich cultures that we have here, some good reasons is that we dont have good leaders here in Africa, things are not working, corruption everywhere, standard of living is very poor, the rich are getting richer and the poor getting poorer. So you can imagine yourself in another part of the world where things work, I tell you, you will want to be associated with the ways of life of that part of the world especially if you are in the US.
though am not in support of the idea of trying to copy the Americans or the Europeans, but here in Africa we need to put our hearts together and our so called leaders should wake up to their responsibilities and our people will be proud of the fact that they are Africans.

1 Like

Re: Americanized Africans by Vieira(m): 9:14am On Jun 08, 2005
People always think the grass is greener on the other isde of the fence.
Re: Americanized Africans by ugphil: 6:22pm On Jun 09, 2005
I guess the problem is lack of identity on our side as Africans, especially Nigerians, we don't have the Nigerian dream, we don't have focus, we don't appreciate our heritage at all, and worst of all we don't like each other at all...the problem is basically because of the wrong environment and upbringing, our leaders could not inculcate the patriotic heart into us, as the government do not care about its citizens why would the citizens be proud to associate itself with the national image? Its a pity but the good thing is that some of us are beginning to change and we are in training to come back home to change everything for good, we will clear all the old legs and old ideas and bring fresh blood and ideas that will save this special and peculiar nation called Nigeria.....we will get better and we will find that Nigerian dream and bring it to pass......God is on our side.....philips. sad cheesy smiley
Re: Americanized Africans by kemmy(f): 5:12pm On Jun 14, 2005
Yes o,Phil!You can't imagine doing all you can(legally) to get atop of things in your class at school or at work abroad and having to come home(naija) and have one spoilt brat who's dad has used "man know man" to get him a post at one of the most prestigous postions in any lucrative biz.It kinda makes you wonder whether one would actually make it at home or..... abroad.....so to blend into the foreign culture people tend to change their personality too...(psychologically,it makes the process of change faster).Anyway, only the strongest of us stilll retain that African identity and ideology,so whether dem like am......, whether dem no like am,........we go make am....."GODFATHER" or not!God willing.
Re: Americanized Africans by obong(m): 4:09am On Jun 15, 2005
Basically out leaders have invested in our oil, gold and diamonds, but everyone forgot about our heritage which is unique and can spit out gold if we handle it right
Re: Americanized Africans by kemmy(f): 12:22pm On Jun 16, 2005
Obong,which kain invest?

Dem no invest in anything!The only people who have done the investing are the companies who bribe one Govt. official or the other to get licences for jobs to be done anyway.
Re: Americanized Africans by obong(m): 6:56pm On Jun 25, 2005
You're right kemmy. But even if we did that sort of investment in our culture, we'd be much richer today.
Re: Americanized Africans by pkrix(m): 9:39pm On Jun 25, 2005
Africans who deny Africa in a foreign land are not worthy anyway. But if only they know how must white people wish to possess some of the natural endowment with which God has blesses us then they will take a rethink.

But for Nigeria in particular, its people have the right and the go-ahead from me to reject the country because I can't imagine poorer countries of Africa whom we got independent before advancing at a faster rate than us.

In deed like Idris, pointed out "Nigeria jaga jaga."

1 Like

Re: Americanized Africans by WesleyanA(f): 4:02am On Oct 11, 2005
Kenya:

I am starting to see allot of African sister's with blue eye's wearing orange & blond straight hair.

good halloween tips.
Re: Americanized Africans by hotangel2(f): 6:25am On Oct 11, 2005
This case is a big case ooo. BUt i guess they said "if you are in rome, act like a roman". But anyways sha, that don't mean we should forget where we came from. smiley
Re: Americanized Africans by goodguy(m): 7:31pm On Oct 12, 2005
u mean, where everyone is naked, u have to go naked too? rolleyes
Re: Americanized Africans by nike4luv(f): 7:41pm On Oct 12, 2005
mhm.you guys are right..we cannot forget home now, see some people who are not even nigerians want to copy our culture because of how some great nigerians carry themselves..dont forget home jo..i know i wont rolleyes
Re: Americanized Africans by Oyinhoney(m): 9:52pm On Jan 15, 2006
@kenya...mahn dats so true.its makes me angry too...its a shame sha...well i call ppl like dat amerifaken.i hate seenin ppl dat come from africa d otha day tryin 2 act a certain way i speak a certain way i get so angry cuz its like their tryna their best 2 act like wat their not.at d end of the day the best is jus not gud enuff at all.
Re: Americanized Africans by Kenya(f): 8:44am On Feb 04, 2006
Yeah it so main stream here in America. What I'm starting to learn is that these American trends exsist within Africa already. It's seen on T.V and more.

(1) (Reply)

What Song Is Anyone Listening To Right Now? / Best Female Poster For The Year 2009 / Sugar Mummy And Sugar Daddy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.