Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,138 members, 7,821,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:57 PM

Is This Greed Or What? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is This Greed Or What? (872 Views)

Is Campus Prostitution A Sign Of Desperation Or Plain Greed? (pics) / Ican Is Sure Playing On Peoples Greed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Greed Or What? by irohadis: 1:01am On Mar 18, 2010
I employed a cousin of mine 6 months ago in Nigeria as a sales man. Before then he lived in one room without a proper bed, never had a job and barely lived hand to mouth. Now I pay him NGR37,000 per high value item he sells for me. He has a constant supply of at least 5 of these every month and all he has to do is contact our dedicated buyers, close deal and pay cheque or cash in company account. He could do this in a week and have the rest of the time off. Now see the problem, he has now started withholding part of my money without even informing me. First one was 145K. I wrote it off as advance for his housing. Next 74K and I said ok, that's your advance on future commission. Then last week we sold a unit at barely breaking even price and he deducted 60K. I am mad. The lunacy in this is: does he not know that I will see the difference between sale price and amount deposited in account? I complained and he told me how hard he works and how he will move on to another firm if I insult him.

He is my cousin. What do Nairalanders suggest I do? I am pretty miffed.
Re: Is This Greed Or What? by Nobody: 2:03am On Mar 18, 2010
@poster
even though he is family,you are trying to run a business therefore you have to treat the issue like you would with a stranger. this is a business not a family cash cow. sometimes its better to let go and NOT involve family with business(less hassle and more professional).
Re: Is This Greed Or What? by netotse(m): 2:13am On Mar 18, 2010
fire his ass and then tell his parents why, or you can tell them first. . .but either way, FIRE THE CLOWN! heaven knows what else could happen if u tolerate more nonsense
Re: Is This Greed Or What? by Godalone(m): 10:42am On Mar 18, 2010
netotse:

fire his backside and then tell his parents why, or you can tell them first. . .but either way, FIRE THE CLOWN! heaven knows what else could happen if u tolerate more nonsense
I can't agree more than this.
Re: Is This Greed Or What? by okeyz(m): 11:29am On Mar 18, 2010
U VE HEARD IT ALL!!.fire the motherfucker he wants to ruin u, being his cousin and all is emotional blackmail,if u let it to come into ur business ur competitor will win and u loose becos of one ungrateful tramp, the choice is urs, i had an uncle who was doing this kind of good samaritan gesture,in the end he has nothing to show for it but ingratitude from the same people he lifted up from the hands of poverty,cousin and cousin nig plc, today he is regretting, so the ball is in ur court afterall u r still the boss,if u want the company to thrive,take decisive decisions and remove emotional sentiments, i bet ur cousin will not try this nonsense with an INDIAN!!!, or a CHINESE.
Re: Is This Greed Or What? by Onyeara: 2:51pm On Mar 18, 2010
Is really bad to hear this kind of info from your hard earned money. This kind of situation occurs when relatives are involved in a business. This is because they will never take you serious and think they are doing you a favour.
Should in case you need professional logistics representative, we are situated in suit 8 Ayeni plaza off awolowo road
Ikeja. we can handle all your logistics deals,close business and carry out what ever instruction you might need.
If you are interested ping me here pls
Re: Is This Greed Or What? by irohadis: 4:10pm On Mar 18, 2010
Thank you all for your insightful and kind suggestions. My inclination is to aim for a middle ground since the business is also expanding and taking in more staff. Since I had big plans for him (company car, increased capacity, responsibility, income, equity etc), he has severely limited his real options for upward mobility in the company. I will allow him to maintain his contacts with his pool of clients. However, I am completely taking away his responsibility for managing payments or contributing to managerial strategy, that is, he can now function only as a salesman - strike the deal and then refer the clients to a cashier (non relative). Payments now can only be accepted as cheques or receipts and confirmation of bank deposits from clients prior to releasing their goods. He will also report to a (non relative) manager with higher authority and compete with other (non-relative) salesmen/women for sales and consequently, commission. I think this treatment would humble him without destroying him or my goodwill at home. No one will listen to complaints at home if they know he still has a job and I am sure he will be miffed as my relative to have to report to layers of authority he thinks he should be in or above. Where he gets angry and refuses to make sales, then he will go hungry. His call.
Re: Is This Greed Or What? by violent(m): 6:54pm On Mar 18, 2010
irohadis:

Thank you all for your insightful and kind suggestions. My inclination is to aim for a middle ground since the business is also expanding and taking in more staff. Since I had big plans for him (company car, increased capacity, responsibility, income, equity etc), he has severely limited his real options for upward mobility in the company. I will allow him to maintain his contacts with his pool of clients. However, I am completely taking away his responsibility for managing payments or contributing to managerial strategy, that is, he can now function only as a salesman - strike the deal and then refer the clients to a cashier (non relative). Payments now can only be accepted as cheques or receipts and confirmation of bank deposits from clients prior to releasing their goods. He will also report to a (non relative) manager with higher authority and compete with other (non-relative) salesmen/women for sales and consequently, commission. I think this treatment would humble him without destroying him or my goodwill at home. No one will listen to complaints at home if they know he still has a job and I am sure he will be miffed as my relative to have to report to layers of authority he thinks he should be in or above. Where he gets angry and refuses to make sales, then he will go hungry. His call.

Smart idea dude!

My two cents: Peeps like that tend to become really jealous of your success over time, he might even look for ways to bring down your business or worse, come after your life. . .pigs will always remain pigs even if build them a mansion
Re: Is This Greed Or What? by Nobody: 8:47am On Mar 19, 2010
violent:

Smart idea dude!

My two cents: Peeps like that tend to become really jealous of your success over time, he might even look for ways to bring down your business or worse, come after your life. . .pigs will always remain pigs even if build them a mansion

you are absolutely right!!!!!
Re: Is This Greed Or What? by dubem3(m): 8:59am On Mar 19, 2010
family and bussiness dont mix
cos its never "bussiness as usual"
no your brother is ur brother.
this is africa and u cant kill him
take him off the job
Re: Is This Greed Or What? by omojasper: 6:14pm On Mar 20, 2010
I saw ur complain about ur cousin.You used ur good mind to help him,but he dose'nt value ur help to him.If i had seen a family person to have shown this kind of help i will av gone far today than where i am.Business is Business when it come to that.U just av to keep him out if u want to make it.By the way if it d kind of business i will like to do with my job here in Abuja,let talk am a Sales man.U can reach me on omojasper@yahoo.com or 08056410197,08067834730.Take care.
Re: Is This Greed Or What? by aieromon(m): 6:58pm On Mar 20, 2010
***Kick him out,i'd say***
Punishing him within your company structure will only mask the real problem:lack of responsibility.That's a big minus.
Re: Is This Greed Or What? by CATLANTIC: 5:40pm On Mar 22, 2010
Thinking through this again, I agree with most of the posters. Thanks a lot. I will follow your wise advise and let him go. To be humane, I will arrange a severance package - also just to deal with the 'political' fallout.
Re: Is This Greed Or What? by irohadis: 5:42pm On Mar 22, 2010
The above was my post. So thanks again.
Re: Is This Greed Or What? by Mobinga: 9:18pm On Mar 22, 2010
My father always told me something "There is no emotion in business"
Re: Is This Greed Or What? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Mar 24, 2010
@ Poster : Fire him. . . .

Keep your family and business completely separated
Money and blood don't mix like 2 di.cks and no bit.ch
Find yourself in serious sh.it

The Ten Commandments - Notorious B.I.G

(1) (Reply)

Electrical Wiring Diagram Interpretation / Need For A Mechanical Engineer In Port-harcourt To Partner With. / Happy New Year In This Section(career).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.