Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,529 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

Religion : Christianity Or Islam Find Out What You Have Lost - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion : Christianity Or Islam Find Out What You Have Lost (364 Views)

I Have Lost My Zeal For Attending Church / Perfect Religion: Why Do Some Pastors Emphasise Mala. 3:10 More Than James 1:27? / 4 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Christianity And Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion : Christianity Or Islam Find Out What You Have Lost by renzhen: 10:46pm On Nov 01, 2017
There are a lot of questions for theists, believers, and people of faith and religion that need answers. If a man goes out on rampage killing and maiming, eventually attacks me and I kill him, in order to defend myself. I have killed someone out of a clear conscience and noble conviction of doing the right thing but the Bible says “you shall not kill”

Judging by the literal meaning of the word ‘kill’, how then do we explain these scenarios;
A person who kills someone accidentally
A person who is trying to defend him or herself and prevent his or her own murder (self-defense)
A person who is trying to prevent someone from entering his or her house to commit some violent felony
A person who is trying to prevent the murder of someone else (Protecting the Innocent).

Should it be ‘You shall not KILL?’ or ‘You shall not MURDER’

Several passages in the Bible and Qur’an refer clearly the above scenarios as exceptional cases. Even those who do not believe in God or the authority of these holy books recognize the importance of such “moral distinctions” which have been with us right from the beginning.

Generally speaking, anything a man does out of self conviction, adjudged to be right, does not infringe on the rights or privileges of others and within the confines of moral law is not a misdeed.
Men as higher animals are by so expected to act with the highest level of civility. This is compounded by religion and the growing belief in a supernatural being.

I have never doubted the existence of a God, an omnipotent being, the k.n.o.w.e.r of all and CREATOR of the universe, yet there are times I wonder if religions have not been extended to supplement traditional laws where they fail to conceal and also the personal and political interests of its originators or prophets.

The existence of more than one religion with different teachings and beliefs alone should be a reason to worry. People practicing a singular religion often believe with stern conviction that they are the ones serving ‘the one true God’ or ‘gods’ and hence the only righteous being’s to make heaven. This is only a resultant effect of INDOCTRINATION from childhood.

People act a lot, pretend to be holier than others, beat up and burn thieves, even stone a fellow human to death because she was caught in the act of adultery, yet the people who perpetrate such acts are no virgins.

Criminal acts like rape, theft and even murder are now carried out by Religious people for a supposedly justified course. Why? They say they are directed by their ‘prophet’ to do so, or it is written in ‘the book’. Sometime in the past, we all heard about the atrocities committed by one of the respected ‘MOG’ Reverend King with the active support of the members of his Church.

Surprisingly, people still attend these Religious houses and listen to the preaching of these so called Men Of God with conviction that what they preach is from a higher authority.
“Question not my anointed, He was ordained by God himself” So they say.

Recently, I do not know which is more awful, Is it the two storey church building unlawfully extended to six storeys that collapsed killing more than a hundred people, the pastor who strangled his 18 month old baby because God told him to, the fraudster who is busy collecting taxes for God on the life in which God himself freely gave Or that terrorist who shouts “Allahu Akbar” before blowing himself and others to hell. All these in the name of Religion (not God).

There are so many questions unanswered. If a Muslim extremist shouts “Allah is great” before carrying out murder or a Christian Pastor harbours criminals, rape female members and extort money from his poor followers, yet they say “Islam is a religion of peace”, or “Christianity is a religion of love” Then why did the foreigners term collectively our Traditional Religion as “Idol Worship”?
Why is it regarded as an act of blasphemy to recount the atrocities committed by people in the past in the name of RELIGION?

further read

https://chofam.com/2017/09/religion-christianity-or-islam-find-out-what-you/
Re: Religion : Christianity Or Islam Find Out What You Have Lost by erifeoluwasimi(f): 10:49pm On Nov 01, 2017
Ogbon ori kO le sa we olorun.
Re: Religion : Christianity Or Islam Find Out What You Have Lost by checkolatunji: 10:55pm On Nov 01, 2017
I just.....

Re: Religion : Christianity Or Islam Find Out What You Have Lost by engrtee(f): 11:29pm On Nov 01, 2017
kini ele in

(1) (Reply)

"I Am The Lord, I Change Not." / 30 Biblical Rules To Keep Your Husband. / 7 Reasons Christians Are Not Required To Tithe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.