Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,188 members, 7,818,614 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

All You Need To Know About Geographic Tongue - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / All You Need To Know About Geographic Tongue (840 Views)

Indian Man Cuts Off His Tongue As Sacrifice To God To Prevent Covid-19 (Graphic) / White Tongue After Unprotected Sex: Please Doctors In The House I Need Your Help / Tongue Of A Woman Bitten By A Poisonous Spider (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

All You Need To Know About Geographic Tongue by martynsnet: 7:49am On Nov 04, 2017
I decided to create this thread to educate people on the subject of Geographic tongue, I have this medical condition and recently found out that two other people I know have got the condition without knowing what it is.

Most of us don’t know what our tongue look like, that’s because people don’t usually go about looking at their tongue in a mirror. When the condition first manifested, I usually fee a burning sensation on my tongue but didn’t looking at it. It was my GF who noticed it and panicked, when I looked at it in the mirror, I noticed it looks reddish, with some sort of light white coating around it. Some part of it looks like it was bitten off, I quickly Google it and saw things like mouth cancer and other scary stuffs. The following day I went to see a doctor and he told me he had never seen anything like that. Am sure at this point you can begin to imagine my fears, in fact I had died even before the condition will kill me.

The following month I went to England (UK), where I was diagnosed with geographic tongue, the name alone sounds funny, never have I heard of such a thing. The doctor further told me it is not life threatening and it is not contagious or communicable. At this point I felt a bit of ease, the sad news however is that doctors don’t know what causes it, neither do they have a cure for it. I can however manage the situation, I have to monitor what I eat and find out what aggravates it. I would also need to visit a dentist to take care of my dental.

Since doctors don’t know what causes it, I have been able to identify what aggravates the condition for me, NB: individuals are different. If you notice having any of the following issues, you way want to check out your tongue. If you have the condition, you may want to avoid the following things and also see a dentist.

1. Do you always feel the food is too pepperish? Even when everyone else says it’s OK?
2. Do you feel a burning sensation on your tongue after using certain tooth paste
3. Orange juice seems to burn your tongue (you need to pay attention to notice, it’s not supposed to feel that way)

I have been able to take care of my condition by avoiding a popular toothpaste and sticking to sensodyne , apple juice instead of orange and brushing twice a day. Now you won’t notice I have the condition except I stick out my tongue for you to inspect. Thankfully my GF is no longer scared of kissing me. I hope I have been able to help someone out there.....

Lalasticlala

Re: All You Need To Know About Geographic Tongue by martynsnet: 7:57am On Nov 04, 2017
lalasticlala, millions of Nigerians get this condition every year without knowing what it is. help spread the word.
Re: All You Need To Know About Geographic Tongue by martynsnet: 8:16am On Nov 04, 2017
Sissy3 , dominique
Re: All You Need To Know About Geographic Tongue by aysnoopy(m): 1:18pm On Nov 04, 2017
thanks for educating me about this.
Re: All You Need To Know About Geographic Tongue by Ugo4hotish(m): 6:32am On Oct 01, 2019
martynsnet:
I decided to create this thread to educate people on the subject of Geographic tongue, I have this medical condition and recently found out that two other people I know have got the condition without knowing what it is.

Most of us don’t know what our tongue look like, that’s because people don’t usually go about looking at their tongue in a mirror. When the condition first manifested, I usually fee a burning sensation on my tongue but didn’t looking at it. It was my GF who noticed it and panicked, when I looked at it in the mirror, I noticed it looks reddish, with some sort of light white coating around it. Some part of it looks like it was bitten off, I quickly Google it and saw things like mouth cancer and other scary stuffs. The following day I went to see a doctor and he told me he had never seen anything like that. Am sure at this point you can begin to imagine my fears, in fact I had died even before the condition will kill me.

The following month I went to England (UK), where I was diagnosed with geographic tongue, the name alone sounds funny, never have I heard of such a thing. The doctor further told me it is not life threatening and it is not contagious or communicable. At this point I felt a bit of ease, the sad news however is that doctors don’t know what causes it, neither do they have a cure for it. I can however manage the situation, I have to monitor what I eat and find out what aggravates it. I would also need to visit a dentist to take care of my dental.

Since doctors don’t know what causes it, I have been able to identify what aggravates the condition for me, NB: individuals are different. If you notice having any of the following issues, you way want to check out your tongue. If you have the condition, you may want to avoid the following things and also see a dentist.

1. Do you always feel the food is too pepperish? Even when everyone else says it’s OK?
2. Do you feel a burning sensation on your tongue after using certain tooth paste
3. Orange juice seems to burn your tongue (you need to pay attention to notice, it’s not supposed to feel that way)

I have been able to take care of my condition by avoiding a popular toothpaste and sticking to sensodyne , apple juice instead of orange and brushing twice a day. Now you won’t notice I have the condition except I stick out my tongue for you to inspect. Thankfully my GF is no longer scared of kissing me. I hope I have been able to help someone out there.....

Lalasticlala

Good morning, please can I talk to you about geographic tongue....can I have your email or please have mine, manuel.Ugo@yahoo.com
Help a brother biko
Re: All You Need To Know About Geographic Tongue by Nwaotu10(m): 7:04am On Oct 01, 2019
Thank you

(1) (Reply)

17 Signs That You May Not Be As Healthy As You Think You Are / DR Advice On Zobo, Kunu , Yogurts / This Wearable Airbag​ For The Elderly Could Help Save Their Lives During A Fall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.