Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,463 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:03 AM

Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum (1596 Views)

Daily FX Turnover Jumps To Record $857 Million As Naira Gains Momentum / Tinubu Receives Petition Against Dangote Over $3.4 Billion Siphoned Through CBN / Boeing Gives $100m To Help 737 Max Crash Families (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum by Nobody: 8:59am On Nov 05, 2017
A petition against the poor security of GTB's 737 service has begun to gain momentum.
The petition is being signed by customers of the GTB who feel that their monies are being exposed to fraud as the 737 service does not require any secret password or code.

Read the petition below and add to he signature if you agree that GTB is endangering your money.

Do you know that your money is now accessible to people who do not even have your pin number or token or even your ATM card? Of all the other standard banking securities we have seen, the GTBank 737 service is the poorest? It allows anyone who has your phone or your phone number to gain direct access to all of your money, without you ever knowing.

And NO, the person does not need to know your PIN number or your account number.

Well, somebody reported a very sad story of how his phone lost network and he didn't know that a hacker had simply swapped lines with him. The hacker withdrew 260,000naira and that was the end of it. But what if yours is not as complicated as that? What if your phone was snatched away from you. Then the person simply dialled *737*5000# GTB will debit you of 5000 naira and send the phone 5000 airtime. Then the person can use Me2U transfer to send it to his number, and this can continue until you reclaim your line.

Well, it doesn't always have to be a thief. Your best friend can decide to punish you. When your salary is paid, he can sneak in and dial *737*10000# once a day for five days, delete the sms alert and you would never know how come you never run out of airtime. Wait until you go to the ATM and be shocked to see what you have left in your account.

Again, it doesn't have to be this way. My story is a rather sad one. I travelled out of Nigeria, I thought my MTN line was still active. I had no idea it had been sold to a new MTN customer. This person started using *737* to recharge his line. I lost 65,000 naira in ten days before I discovered it.

What do you think happens to GTBank customers who die, and their lines are re-sold?
What about the old man who mistakenly entered a wrong phone number when filling his GTBank form?
What do you say about the fact that the thief doesn't need your pin, Token, Password, Account Number or even your name, yet he has direct access to your money?

But GTB is not concerned. They said that it is your duty to protect your phone. Let us ask them a questions.

When we were filling the account opening form, did we give them the phone number as "CONTACT NUMBER" or as "ACCOUNT PASSWORD" ?

When we were opening our account, did we authorise them to replace our token, PIN , secret answer, password, online username, long card number, cvvc code etc with ONLY phone number?

A serious bank takes security very seriously. They operate TWO-LAYER AUTHENTICATION. They either ask for:

ATM card + PIN
USERNAME + PASSWORD
SECRET ANSWER + TOKEN DIGITS
etc

But the 737 service only asks for one layer authentication - PHONE NUMBER.
They do not care who is authorizing the payment.
They do not care if the person is doing so to frustrate the account owner or not.
They do not bother that such things are irreversible and must therefore be thoroughly verified.

Of all the banks in Nigeria, GTBank is the one that has exposed people's money to this very porous loophole.

And what do they do wen you fall victim?
They blame you for being careless with your phone.

A customer care attendant said to me "your phone should be your private property, we will accept any request from your phone without further verification", yes, even if it is a request to wipe out all the money in my account.

Today, I call on every one to sign this petition to call GTBANK to stop this 737 service or we close our account. It is not helping us if they cannot afford to introduce an additional security layer.

Olusola Ayoola

cc: lalasticlala
source:https://www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb/264/722/203/gtbank-must-stop-exposing-our-money-to-the-737-fraud/?taf_id=45143347&cid=fb_na
Re: Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum by Cutehector(m): 9:11am On Nov 05, 2017
Which customers please... Guy speak only for your mischievous self.
Re: Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum by Nobody: 9:21am On Nov 05, 2017
Cutehector:
Which customers please... Guy speak only for your mischievous self.
You don't need to act like you are in your period. Read a similar thread here www.nairaland.com/3493432/fraud-alert-gtbank-737-very

I understand we cannot all be wealthy upstairs, but there is a wise saying that goes thus, "a foolish man who learns to keep quiet may sometimes be mistaken for a wise man"

Word of Advice

1 Like

Re: Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum by ettybaba(m): 9:25am On Nov 05, 2017
Cacawa2:
You don't need to act like you are in your period. Read a similar thread here www.nairaland.com/3493432/fraud-alert-gtbank-737-very

I understand we cannot all be wealthy upstairs, but there is a wise saying that goes thus, "a foolish man who learns to keep quiet may sometimes be mistaken for a wise man"

Word of Advice

Whammy.

1 Like

Re: Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum by LUGBE: 9:30am On Nov 05, 2017
I will be withdrawing all my monies in my Gtb account anything i will be free this week, i will move it to another bank, i bank with.

Gtbank have poor services these days, for almost 6months + now, i have not received any SMS or mail of my balance with them even despite my several mails to them.
Re: Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum by ayodijex(m): 9:48am On Nov 05, 2017
Cacawa2:

Word of Advice

Lol. you're just ridiculous man, if you have any ish with Gtbank, get it settled, I'm not disputing the fact that more security measures can be put it place,at least it's cos of such agitations that they made it possible to create a unique pin if you feel your the last 4digits of your card can be accessed by anyone for your mobile banking but it's not for you to just rubbish all their efforts to aid easy banking.

you that know a particular phone number is attached to a large sum of money in a bank, why travel out without securing such phone number or even changing the number attached to your account to another one you are sure it's safe there?.

Don't expect the bank to do everything for you, it's your duty to guard your phone, Atm card and pin jealously.

and the scenario that a Telecom staff and a bank staff stole from a person, that's beyond him/her, it's not the person fault again and with evidences the culprits should be apprehended of which cases like that are very very very rare and of course, not impossible. it can happen to anyone.

If no one in the bank is involved in any dubious actions, your money is 100% safe with mobile banking. keep your petition to yourself, it's going nowhere.

3 Likes

Re: Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum by ayodijex(m): 9:53am On Nov 05, 2017
This is just pure campaign against the 737 style, nothing more. I can't imagine my life without 737 or mobile banking as a whole right now.
Re: Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum by Nobody: 11:07am On Nov 05, 2017
lalasticlala pls
Re: Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum by sonerkind(m): 3:30pm On Nov 05, 2017
This is ridiculous, one isolated case doesn't mean u should rubbish the efforts of a bank trying to reduce numbers of queues in our banking hall. I agree more security layers could be added to the 737, but then ur submission is fraught with halftruths, for example u didn't mention that u av to create a 4 digit pin for ur 737 . Moreover, why single out GTB? Every other bank has a ussd platform. This is just a pure campaign of calumny.
Re: Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum by eodejai: 3:51pm On Nov 05, 2017
Doing SimSwap is not as easy as you think. You can just walk to a Telco and do a sim swap on just anyone's line without insider fraudulent help. I know the product has its challenges but its not that bad
Re: Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum by eodejai: 3:52pm On Nov 05, 2017
I dont think its that bad. 737 is secured with personalized pin that you create yourself

1 Like

Re: Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum by iamshola: 4:00pm On Nov 05, 2017
My own question is why does this bank single out one bank, isn't the same USSD offered by all Nigerian Banks. I say we go after all of them
Re: Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum by saintcasmir(m): 7:30pm On Nov 05, 2017
Your account can be secured by creating a PIN on your phone. Notwithstanding, it will be good if extra security layer is added.

...I love that bank �
Re: Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum by naija911: 4:38am On Nov 06, 2017
You complain banking is too stressful, the banks take initiative and you complain its exposing you to fraud. Abi you won go banking hall go cue.
Re: Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum by ollyruffy: 2:51pm On Dec 19, 2017
This is to confirm what OP said. This just happened to me. I have called GTB. They said they will get back to me. The thief just stole 150,000 from my account using this porous GTB mobile banking.
Re: Petition Against GTB *737* Porous Security Gathers Momentum by ollyruffy: 6:29pm On Dec 19, 2017
If you have money in GTBank. Please take this warning. I never believed it until it happened to me today. GTB 737 service is very porous. 

You don't have to subscribe to be defrauded on this service. The thief just need your phone number registered with GTBank and last 4 digits of your ATM card. Now this two information are available to GTBank staff. All the staff need is to have a contact in the telecom operator of your line. His contact in the telecom operator can dial the 747 on your line as if the code is dialed from your phone. Then the transaction is completed.

This is what I think happened in my case as my phone was even switch off when it happened.

The blame goes to GTB for only having only such porous and 1 level security on this service. In fact , there is no security because the last four digital of your ATM card will always show on the POS or ATM receipt. Using that as a security is unthinkable. 

What happened to pin set by the account wner, passwords, security questions, token, OTP as it is done for GTB online banking. Whu cant GTB put all these security on this service. Why leave this 737 with no security.

(1) (Reply)

Trusted And Secure / How To Open US Bank Account For Non-residents / Contemporary Dynamics Of Non-oil Export Trade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.