Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,721 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (125) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1311668 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 10:50pm On Mar 02, 2019
@shawtykel

I empathize with your situation,no parent wants to leave a very young baby to go and hustle.

It must be very difficult and I'm sure you will make the best decision with the baby's future and that of your family in mind.

I started work when my baby was 4 months old,it was hard!! Family came in to help as much as they could at the time.I'm sure many people would have sneered at me at the time and called me irresponsible.

I still feel guilt sometimes but it has been for the best,to provide stability, emotional, mental, and a decent lifestyle as well.

No one really knows what a child will turn out to be,you can only do what you can.

You are the one in that situation,think clearly and strategically then do what you believe is best!!

I wish you all the best ,I assure you that things will definitely get better with time.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Stoicbaba(m): 10:13am On Mar 03, 2019
My people, I am back on NL...been aware, as I was trying to find a "street corner" to avoid the cold. This so called central heating system ain't working jare...

But, first things first...can someone remind me of where to get that brioche abi brooch bread...please, hepp a broda. I am not too in love with salts grin

5 days now, yet I feel like I was sent on an exile...bored and lonely cry

@sutelk, congrats for the reunion with your family... I hope they brought "ofe nsala o"?

Come n show a broda around o grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 10:55am On Mar 03, 2019
imnotconfused:

Have you looked at jet2holidays? Ryanair holiday packages?onthebeach,lastminute dot com websites nko

Totstotravel also has holiday packages

The problem is going during school holidays.

You can also go to a travel agent and tell them what you want?

If it's going to be too hard,have you tried crieffhydro in Perth? It's alright if you don't mind dated rooms,loads for kids to do, pony rides,golfing,zip lining,tree adventures,spa for oldies,bowling,nice restaurants that do room service etc plus they have childcare you can book for some hours so you can chill out.

Centerparcs too,Belgium(erperheide or vossemeren) which is cheaper than the UK ones.Loads for kids to do.

Also go to Mumsnet and look for the travel/holiday section,you'll find so much information.

That's where I've gotten all our holiday recommendations which have turned out great.

Hope you find something oooo.Planning holidays is usually hellish.

I owe you lunch kiss You’re such a sweet soul, always helpful. Thanks a lot boo. Will make progress with this your post.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 10:56am On Mar 03, 2019
marylandcakes:

Go on google and type in all inclusive holidays or/and travel supermarket I’m sure you will fine something. There are some holidays that allow the first child free.

Thanks a lot. Will dig deeper. Gracias.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 1:30pm On Mar 03, 2019
sutelk:
My Queen and my Prince landed safely today. Family is reunited again after 8 months. I've been highly favoured by Baba God in the whole process, even me can't believe it happened so fast.
May God grant those of you that have similar aspirations the same favour.
In other news, cold is catching some people upon say I set thermostat at 25 degrees. Help me tell them sorry grin grin

Congratulations on the family reunion. They will soon adapt to our weather grin grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by firpemi(f): 11:27am On Mar 04, 2019
you can pay for @dooneyslifestyle webinar, she knows the trick and people are testifying to it. check her on IG
Mamatukwas:
Good Morning House.

I hear there are tricks to traveling the world (especially within Europe/Asia/Americas) on a budget both for flights and accommodation.

Abeg who sabi road should share. I’m begging.. I have a large family and want to plan our summer without breaking the bank. God bless you in advance.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Free100: 6:05pm On Mar 04, 2019
Is there an implication for writing plab 2 and GMC registration without doing NYSC?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 6:31pm On Mar 04, 2019
Free100:
Is there an implication for writing plab 2 and GMC registration without doing NYSC?

sorry but who gives a rat's ass about nysc...except u want to go back to run for political office
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 7:54pm On Mar 04, 2019
firpemi:
you can pay for @dooneyslifestyle webinar, she knows the trick and people are testifying to it. check her on IG

I do not have £250 to pay biko smiley
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:04pm On Mar 04, 2019
Mamatukwas:

I do not have £250 to pay biko smiley

Pay and come and share tips for us joor. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 9:05pm On Mar 04, 2019
fatima04:

Pay and come and share tips for us joor. grin grin

Hahaha Fati! You try cheesy You that we have not washed your new job! Shake body jor and take one for the team wink kiss
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 10:32pm On Mar 04, 2019
firpemi:

There are no secrets joor.... all it takes is constantly researching online or checking for last minute deals.

Yes some people have other things to do and can't be checking every 5 mins. .... but what she has to tell you she got it online

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sgtponzihater1(m): 10:36pm On Mar 04, 2019
Free100:

Depends on ur future plans. If u wish to contest elective positions, or return back to Nigeria for government appointment etc, u never can tell. Personally I feel I should have shunned it, as it delayed my plans a whole year.

Going forward, I wish u luck on ur Plab2 exams.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:02am On Mar 05, 2019
DaveChapelle:

sorry but who gives a rat's ass about nysc...except u want to go back to run for political office

We know some ministers that never endured Now Your Suffering Continues.............. I mention no names.... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 9:55am On Mar 05, 2019
Thing is everyone and their grandma is holding out for a govt appointment in the "future".

It's almost like some sort of retirement plan...people are so fixated with that....'you never know scenario'

It's like a pact with naija. We all wanna taste the national cake if not today in the future so collect ya nysc sharp sharp
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nazzy007(f): 4:27pm On Mar 06, 2019
Good day House!

I'm kinda new to this thread and I have learnt alot thanks a bunch to you all. But I do have some questions please.

Thing is Hubby travelled last month after our marriage ceremony on a tier 2 visa to UK. I decided to back so he can sort himself out and settle in properly without me being a burden and all esp financially. Plus I have a job here and other commitments currently holding me back.

I just wanna find out my chances over there as regards getting a job. I have a B.Sc in Geology with several work experiences.

Do I have to write IELTS or do an MSc Programme first when I come over before applications for job or what?

I really do not want to come over and just sit around all day. Trying to weigh my options before visa application. Kindly assist with your opinions.

Thank you all.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 6:56pm On Mar 06, 2019
Outside of Health, Law and some other professions

Actual degree studied is somewhat inconsequential in the UK. Your (current)work experience and transferable skills will be the main criteria
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mim1031: 6:57pm On Mar 06, 2019
Elders in the house, thanks for always putting your girl through in this UK, it's not easy for JJC like us
I bank with Barclays and was offered a credit card with 29.9% APR. I had applied for one with 19.9% APR which was declined but they offered me this one instead. Is it a good bargain or I should continue in my search for a card with lesser APR?
Also, I would really appreciate if someone can tell me more about credit cards, no matter how much I read, all cards are the same to me except their different APR
I only need the card for building my credit score, please enlighten me
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by claremont(m): 7:27pm On Mar 06, 2019
mim1031:
Elders in the house, thanks for always putting your girl through in this UK, it's not easy for JJC like us
I bank with Barclays and was offered a credit card with 29.9% APR. I had applied for one with 19.9% APR which was declined but they offered me this one instead. Is it a good bargain or I should continue in my search for a card with lesser APR?
Also, I would really appreciate if someone can tell me more about credit cards, no matter how much I read, all cards are the same to me except their different APR
Thanks

Take anyone you are offered. Use it sparingly and make sure you pay it off before the interest kicks in. You should see you credit profile improve after a few months of using credit facilities, this will put you in line for a 0% interest-free credit card deal, good mortgage deals etc. I know that some people advise against credit cards, but personally, I think they are a valuable resource when used wisely. It's not the credit card that is the problem, the problem is the small number of users who use them inappropriately like they are free money, and they end up in massive debt. No free money anywhere, even in Freetown.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mimzyy(f): 8:16pm On Mar 06, 2019
I took one carton from naija plus other foodstuffs grin, I scattered it in my bag and I went through hassle free smiley

Yinkzy03:
Hello,

Carry on should be 7kg i think....

Yes you can travel with Indomie but the quantity is what i don't know, i think a reasonable number that wouldn't make anyone think you wana go sell it thereby evading duty payments...

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 8:56pm On Mar 06, 2019
claremont:

Take anyone you are offered. Use it sparingly and make sure you pay it off before the interest kicks in. You should see you credit profile improve after a few months of using credit facilities, this will put you in line for a 0% interest-free credit card deal, good mortgage deals etc. I know that some people advise against credit cards, but personally, I think they are a valuable resource when used wisely. It's not the credit card that is the problem, the problem is the small number of users who use them inappropriately like they are free money, and they end up in massive debt. No free money anywhere, even in Freetown.

People always say credit card improves your credit score but is it really true in Uk?.... America yes but don't know if its applicable in uk and i tell you why

I got a credit card maybe 10 years ago. Just one. I never used it one day and manage my life around my debit card meaning i am as good as not having a credit card... i went to check my credit score online and nothing came up .

I got a mortage easily .... all that was checked was earnings .. This made me think if you had a bad credit history yet it affects but if you have no history it probably makes no difference
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 10:57pm On Mar 06, 2019
LagosismyHome:

People always say credit card improves your credit score but is it really true in Uk?.... America yes but don't know if its applicable in uk and i tell you why

I got a credit card maybe 10 years ago. Just one. I never used it one day amd manage my life around my debit card meaning i am as good as not having a credit card... i went to get my credit score online and nothing came up .

I got a mortage easily .... all that was check was earnings .. This made me think if you had a bad credit history yet it affects but if you have no history it probably makes no difference

If you don't use the CC, it wont have an impact on your credit score and I would say it's one of the fastest way to build credit score.

Case in point, hubby and some colleagues got HSBC CC at the same time, but we utilised it wisely, while the other colleague did not use it at all, few months after we decided to get a loan from HSBC and we got it @3.9% APR and the other colleague wanted the same loan for the exact duration and all but the best he could get was @8% APR, which is still better than my yeye Halifax offer sha.

I believe without CC, you can definitely get things done but the interest rate goes higher

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mim1031: 1:46am On Mar 07, 2019
claremont:

Thanks for this
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:59am On Mar 07, 2019
A shocking news from Nigeria...........

PLAB 1 exams in March 2019, we have 6240 Doctors booked for this exam.....

I say no more..........

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:01am On Mar 07, 2019
mim1031:
Thanks

I would personally advice you to stay off this debt card for now, till you fully understand financial/debt management in the UK.............

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 8:04am On Mar 07, 2019
claremont:

You stylishly did not mention me, make i take style mention myself............ grin

An advocate against debt card ownership............
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mim1031: 9:30am On Mar 07, 2019
Lexusgs430:

I would personally advice you to stay off this debt card for now, till you fully understand financial/debt management in the UK.............

Thanks, i really needs to understand how this things work
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:24am On Mar 07, 2019
mim1031:

Thanks, i really needs to understand how this things work

First and foremost, a credit card is not required to build up credit history.......

Does a credit card help in building up credit history? YES..

People misconstrue the concept of credit/debt card, viewed like free money........ It is 100% not......

Infact, it is a very expensive way to borrow money...... Non - payment of credit card would ruin your financial history completely.....

You decide the cost and financial implications, at the end of the day, it's a personal decision.......

And if people are fooled that credit/debt card is a non - secured loan, think again.............

When and if you eventually buy a property, the credit/debt card debt, would be charged to your property.......

Is it worth the hassle in my opinion? NO

Look at it this way, the banks give you ẹ-money and in return they collect real money........

You decide..............
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by veleta: 10:52am On Mar 07, 2019
Lexusgs430:
A shocking news from Nigeria...........

PLAB 1 exams in March 2019, we have 6240 Doctors booked for this exam.....

I say no more..........

@Lexus430,GMC yesterday refuted that figure,I think it's actually 750 .I knew that 6240 was exaggerated.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:17am On Mar 07, 2019
veleta:

@Lexus430,GMC yesterday refuted that figure,I think it's actually 750 .I knew that 6240 was exaggerated.

And you expect them to accept?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:21am On Mar 07, 2019
veleta:

If only PLAB organisers could release real figures...... Let me tell you a true tale.......

I was at Ibadan last week (mauve21 precisely). Mauve21 is a test centre, for intending migrants.....

The amount of people I personally saw writing exams during my short stay at the hotel, was truly truly shocking/amazing................

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by davide470(m): 1:05pm On Mar 07, 2019
veleta:

This same GMC is "massively" encouraging overseas doctors to apply to the UK. Advanced Chicken and Egg Strategy!

(1) (2) (3) ... (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: hyzich(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.