Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:56 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1302527 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Hardeybohwarley(m): 10:41am On Mar 23, 2018
Mamatukwas:
Hi Guys, please help me clarify. This Security deposit house agents ask for in the process of renting a house, will they take our 1st Month rent from there? Or the money will be forever tied down? Coz it's a lot of money if it's going to be separate from rent.

Waiting for sabi elders. Thank you.
I wonder if such condition will ever be considered by a Nigerian Property Owner, whereas nearby Benin Republic practices it.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Hardeybohwarley(m): 10:43am On Mar 23, 2018
@ Inkredible, is any of the two ladies the one you've been eyeing before. That one that will stare at you but won't say anything. Also this might be late just take it bro. "Not just a year older, but a year better". More Blessings to follow.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 10:58am On Mar 23, 2018
Inkredible:
So today is my birthday 22-03...

I just got this last night from a colleague at work. A new chick. Very friendly and down to earth.
I don't know where you work but no single colleague will buy you such gift in the UK. They don't spend money like that. The only way you are getting this from your office is if they all contribute and decided to get this.

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 12:20pm On Mar 23, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

I don't know where you work but no single colleague will buy you such gift in the UK. They don't spend money like that. The only way you are getting this from your office is if they all contribute and decided to get this.

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Okay sir. I can't fault what you believe sir. Let me check and confirm if my visa and current residence is still in the UK. Maybe I was shipped off to Bulgaria and thought I was in the UK. grin grin grin

But wait o. You might be right somehow. Lemme ask her if it was a contributed money o.

Ps: last night surprise birthday gift from my team.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 12:25pm On Mar 23, 2018
Hardeybohwarley:
@ Inkredible, is any of the two ladies the one you've been eyeing before. That one that will stare at you but won't say anything. Also this might be late just take it bro. "Not just a year older, but a year better". More Blessings to follow.

Nope!! These two are new friends, given that e never tey wey I begin work with them. I don fashi that one level abeg. Who get time to dey look her face when there are people genuinely interested in knowing and being your friend.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 2:08pm On Mar 23, 2018
fatima04:

I believe it has been answered, d deposit should usually be 6weeks rent and will be registered by d agent or LL in a DPS. Some property has high deposit which is one of the things to look for and makes u decide to choose or let go of a ppty. Welldone dear. It will soon end.

Yeah I think it's 6 weeks equivalent they charged us. Can't even change now coz it's taken us a while to even find a house we like ... na to find the money. Thanks dear.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 2:10pm On Mar 23, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

And there is no way in this life that you're getting the full deposit back. Unless you have been flying around the house like an angel during your tenancy period.

Hahaha ain't that the truth! And I have 1 particular child who's very errmm 'inquisitive'... it's to draw his ear very well. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 5:34pm On Mar 23, 2018
Mamatukwas:

Hahaha ain't that the truth! And I have 1 particular child who's very errmm 'inquisitive'... it's to draw his ear very well. Thanks.
I received my full deposit after two years of renting so it is not true that you never get your deposit back. They cannot charge you for normal wear and tear and you can dispute any deduction if you feel it is not justified.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 6:32pm On Mar 23, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

And there is no way in this life that you're getting the full deposit back. Unless you have been flying around the house like an angel during your tenancy period.

grin grin grin this got me in stitches
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 6:35pm On Mar 23, 2018
Mamatukwas:

"inquisitive" grin you go fear future Einstein now
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 11:17pm On Mar 23, 2018
dustydee:

I received my full deposit after two years of renting so it is not true that you never get your deposit back. They cannot charge you for normal wear and tear and you can dispute any deduction if you feel it is not justified.

Good to know oh! Will try our best to get that cheddar back biko. No need to dash people money. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 11:19pm On Mar 23, 2018
Aphrodite007:

"inquisitive" grin you go fear future Einstein now

Nne mehn... you don't wanna know lipsrsealed smiley we follow him around like paid body guards... the moment you look away.. 'Ello everyone, Sumthin just appened.... in Lasisi's voice' It's well.

8 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 12:45am On Mar 24, 2018
Mamatukwas:

Nne mehn... you don't wanna know lipsrsealed smiley we follow him around like paid body guards... the moment you look away.. 'Ello everyone, Sumthin just appened.... in Lasisi's voice' It's well.

grin grin you’re a comedienne grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 2:05am On Mar 24, 2018
dustydee:

how long did it take to get your refund
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 9:38am On Mar 24, 2018
Geetrix:

About a week or so.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 9:42am On Mar 24, 2018
Geetrix:

About a week or so.
But there are some landlords that will want to stiff you for the littlest of things. So take pictures of any and everything wrong with the property before you move in and send it to the agency or landlord if you are dealing with him/her directly. You you stay long enough in the house they can't charge you for normal wear and tear.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 1:58pm On Mar 24, 2018
Is there anyone at Media House, Glasgow?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 10:03am On Mar 25, 2018
dustydee:

About a week or so.
But there are some landlords that will want to stiff you for the littlest of things. So take pictures of any and everything wrong with the property before you move in and send it to the agency or landlord if you are dealing with him/her directly. You you stay long enough in the house they can't charge you for normal wear and tear.

I agree and always look thru d inventory given very very well though it may be lengthy . In my own case d inventory already shows pictures and de tailed notes of the house current situition including all d negatives, so that will be the Genesis of any fight sef grin. No be small kudi oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Hardeybohwarley(m): 10:07am On Mar 25, 2018
Inkredible:

Nope!! These two are new friends, given that e never tey wey I begin work with them. I don fashi that one level abeg. Who get time to dey look her face when there are people genuinely interested in knowing and being your friend.
That's the spirit bro.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 12:18pm On Mar 25, 2018
So in a bid to fix our broken glass door and protect our deposit, opted not to do DIY again and look for a professional and stumbled on a website (Mybuilder.com ),where u post your job and tradesmen can contact you and u decide if you like d person and schedule a meet.

Ended up using d website and got a fairy reasonable deal to fix it back to new and now mind is back at rest. It was cheaper Dan all what family nd friends even told us

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by simbaray: 6:35am On Mar 27, 2018
Hi all, I have searched everywhere on nairaland for this but could'nt find anything useful. I am about to apply for tier2 UK visa and tier 2 dependent visa for my wife and child. I however have another child born out of wedlock who is now 6years old and I intend to bring him to the UK too.

People tell me it is not likely to be approved because his case is more complicated. His name appears on my marriage certificate (single with a child) and my name is also on his birth certificate. His mother is willing to provide every necessary document and is in full support of this.

Could you please advice me on what to do, documents to provide and how I can proceed with this? Thank you.

cc: justwise

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 12:23pm On Mar 27, 2018
Does anybody have experience with marrying an overstayer? Someone who came for Masters, but overstayed her student visa? I have a friend who is in predicament....She's overstayed for like 3years...If she leaves and gets married in 9ja and re-applies as a dependent, would her previous history reflect in the applications....could she be denied? Or if she gets pregnant and claims her visa status that way...any experiences??
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dupyshoo: 12:30pm On Mar 27, 2018
It depends on who she is marrying. If the person is on limited leave to remain, the visa will likely be refused. If however the person is a British citizen, she can still get approval as a spouse despite that she overstayed her visa.

Geetrix:
Does anybody have experience with marrying an overstayer? Someone who came for Masters, but overstayed her student visa? I have a friend who is in predicament....She's overstayed for like 3years...If she leaves and gets married in 9ja and re-applies as a dependent, would her previous history reflect in the applications....could she be denied? Or if she gets pregnant and claims her visa status that way...any experiences??

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 12:47pm On Mar 27, 2018
dupyshoo:
It depends on who she is marrying. If the person is on limited leave to remain, the visa will likely be refused. If however the person is a British citizen, she can still get approval as a spouse despite that she overstayed her visa.

you mean, even if she went back to Nigeria or if she's applying if getting married in the UK?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dupyshoo: 2:11pm On Mar 27, 2018
I think she can't even apply for the dependant visa from the UK as she is an overstayer. Once she decides to leave UK and apply from outside, she will likely be refused cos she overstayed. UKVI only overlook overstaying for spouse of British citizens.

Geetrix:
you mean, even if she went back to Nigeria or if she's applying if getting married in the UK?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by simbaray: 5:51am On Mar 28, 2018
Geetrix:
Geetrix, na that overstayer wey you talk say dey like you that time grin grin Baba no let desperate ladies trap you o. You get clean profile. Why not maintain that. Arrange yourself a wife from naija or someone in the UK wey no get crooked path.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 9:24pm On Mar 29, 2018
simbaray:
Geetrix, na that overstayer wey you talk say dey like you that time grin grin Baba no let desperate ladies trap you o. You get clean profile. Why not maintain that. Arrange yourself a wife from naija or someone in the UK wey no get crooked path.

grin grin

If he loves her, I think it’s ok for him to try and help her out; the only problem is that he isn’t a citizen so it might not be successful.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 9:38pm On Mar 29, 2018
How do those overstayers who marry themselves do it?
Aphrodite007:

grin grin

If he loves her, I think it’s ok for him to try and help her out; the only problem is that he isn’t a citizen so it might not be successful.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sandraa(f): 10:12pm On Mar 29, 2018
Geetrix:

Good question.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ralphlauren(m): 8:59am On Mar 30, 2018
Geetrix:

They have kids, wait until when the child is aged 7-10 years and then apply for British citizenship for them. Once the kids are granted, the parents with the aid of seasoned immigration lawyers apply for discretionary leave to remain. They are usually granted. After that, they apply for indefinate leave to remain and later apply for citizenship.

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ralphlauren(m): 9:04am On Mar 30, 2018
Geetrix:

If the husband to be holds British/EU citizenship, then she can return to nigeria and apply to join him on a spousal visa.

If the husband to be is on any type of visa, she should forget it. Her application will be refused outrightly and she might even be banned for a while.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aphrodite007(f): 1:15pm On Mar 30, 2018
Ralphlauren:

They have kids, wait until when the child is aged 7-10 years and then apply for British citizenship for them. Once the kids are granted, the parents with the aid of seasoned immigration lawyers apply for discretionary leave to remain. They are usually granted. After that, they apply for indefinate leave to remain and later apply for citizenship.

All this stress! Nawa!

How do they work when their visas have expired? Like I’m in the north, and these people can obey laws eh, so annoying! It’s seems it’s the folks down south that can get employed without proof of work permit. For instance, a friend of mine returned to the UK for her graduation (from a southern Uni) and she was able to get care work to do during her 5-6 months stay. But another friend of mine that returned for her graduation in the north is just sitting pretty at her boyfriend’s house, Cos she doesn’t have a work permit.

with how strict employers in the north are, I wonder how overstayers in the north work!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (750)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.