Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,627 members, 7,816,575 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (311) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1306623 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:59pm On May 09, 2020
valcorp:

God bless the skylover,Death from above, even the birds are jealous cos on that day the devil himself screamed AIRBORNE(You mentioned being an airborne regiment vet). I really need clarification, can an army officer from Nigeria whose wife owns a tier 2 visa in the UK join the British armed forces? If yes can u please be kind enough to explain how? If no,what can/would u advice a 33year old lieutenant to do? I love the army (I am a infantry man THROUGH AND THROUGH though ours has a lot of issues but Some of us just love the career)but leaving a woman with an 8 month old in another man land(I love my family to pieces) is another issue and I'd rather leave Nigerian army than be an absent father.

This 33 year old lieutenant, is caught between a rock and a very very very hard place.........

I would not advice you to resign from the army, because unfortunately you cannot transfer your appointment, to the British Army.....

Age would disqualify you from joining the British Army (i think)......

Find out a way your present situation would work with your new normal......

Let's assume you resign your appointment, it would be a fresh start for you in the UK. Do you have the stomach for this and possibly not regret your decision, blaming or attempting to blame your new normal situation or your beautiful wife!!!!!!

Think about it critically..........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 3:57am On May 10, 2020
chic2pimp:

It's not in your head , it pretty much is. The both aim to educate the brightest of the bright in the society.

The slight difference being Grammar Schools were set up to help bridge the Gap between the Rich and Poor of the society whilst unity schools were set up to create an environment that would help foster the integration of the Various tribes in Nigeria.

Ohh, thanks makese sense then. Thanks for the analogy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 4:00am On May 10, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Really .... I guess it depends on when this was. My family of 5 kids are all pro unitate school . Fabulous back then

Same here. I probably will go for a different option now though. But those were the best and formative part of my life

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Kenny242(m): 4:57pm On May 10, 2020
Following��
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by valcorp: 6:02pm On May 10, 2020
[quote author=Lexusgs430 post=89376404]

This 33 year old lieutenant, is caught between a rock and a very very very hard place.........

I would not advice you to resign from the army, because unfortunately you cannot transfer your appointment, to the British Army.....

Age would disqualify you from joining the British Army (i think)......

Find out a way your present situation would work with your new normal......

Let's assume you resign your appointment, it would be a fresh start for you in the UK. Do you have the stomach for this and possibly not regret your decision, blaming or attempting to blame your new normal situation or your beautiful wife!!!!!!

Think about it critically..........[/quote

Thanks a lot for your response cos I'm thinking of a fresh start because its a dicey situation.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:07pm On May 10, 2020
[quote author=valcorp post=89402602][/quote]

Indeed, very dicey......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by eiete(f): 4:53am On May 12, 2020
LuvlyIva:
Many thanks for all your responses I appreciate. One more question she works with St. Andrew health care. Northampton. I want to confirm is this hospital is under NHS? Is there anybody that knows the hospital. They you

St. Andrew's healthcare is a private mental health hospital (Charity). They provide Mental health services for the NHS, and is one of three major employers in Northampton. Northampton is the main site of the Hospital, with branches in Birmingham, Nottingham and Essex. More info on the webpage below.

https://www.stah.org/
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by toyclicks: 3:19pm On May 12, 2020
A family friend of mine who is pressing for me to migrate recently just asked me if I am interested in joining any force work. We had concluded that we are working on going through the school route. But he started thinking in this line cos (based on his findings) :

1. It seems the UK military is requesting for more recruitments at the moment

2. They are going to take over your academic funding and sustenance fully once you join

Also, I am 34 and I am sure my friend is aware, so your age of 33 is +1 year advantage compared to mine.

So, I think you should do more digging.

Cheers.

valcorp:

God bless the skylover,Death from above, even the birds are jealous cos on that day the devil himself screamed AIRBORNE(You mentioned being an airborne regiment vet). I really need clarification, can an army officer from Nigeria whose wife owns a tier 2 visa in the UK join the British armed forces? If yes can u please be kind enough to explain how? If no,what can/would u advice a 33year old lieutenant to do? I love the army (I am a infantry man THROUGH AND THROUGH though ours has a lot of issues but Some of us just love the career)but leaving a woman with an 8 month old in another man land(I love my family to pieces) is another issue and I'd rather leave Nigerian army than be an absent father.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by subcbouy: 4:37pm On May 12, 2020
toyclicks:
A family friend of mine who is pressing for me to migrate recently just asked me if I am interested in joining any force work. We had concluded that we are working on going through the school route. But he started thinking in this line cos (based on his findings) :

1. It seems the UK military is requesting for more recruitments at the moment

2. They are going to take over your academic funding and sustenance fully once you join

Also, I am 34 and I am sure my friend is aware, so your age of 33 is +1 year advantage compared to mine.

So, I think you should do more digging.

Cheers.

You must have stayed in the UK for 5 yrs atleast to be considered.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lotusflowerbomb: 6:17pm On May 12, 2020
subcbouy:
You must have stayed in the UK for 5 yrs atleast to be considered.
That rule doesn't apply anymore. Although, I am more concerned about their age.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by logophilia: 7:34pm On May 12, 2020
Lotusflowerbomb:

It does, I checked last month and noticed they have brought back the rule. They might change it after the crisis, since there still seems to be a shortage ...
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lotusflowerbomb: 8:07pm On May 12, 2020
logophilia:

It does, I checked last month and noticed they have brought back the rule. They might change it after the crisis, since there still seems to be a shortage ...
They have not, if not they would have posted it on their website. They only said they are not receiving applications from commonwealth for now. Once the pandemic is over, and the travel ban is lifted, they will start sending invitations. Post evidence of what you saw. People have being joining from Nigeria since 2012.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by subcbouy: 8:33pm On May 12, 2020
logophilia:

Thank you. I did apply last year, too
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by valcorp: 12:21am On May 13, 2020
Lotusflowerbomb:
a
would have become a capt by the end of this year (which was why i supported her migration in the first place but the bureaucracy and God knows what made them add extensions). I know it will be a hard fresh start (thinking of picking up a nursing degree/radiography when I arrive). Are these routes possible considering the age factor rather than spend an entire lifetime,training (done Basic airborne, counter terrorism, tracker and crazy courses which have no direct impact on my career and wish I had done more book related courses) and with uncertainties
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lotusflowerbomb: 9:27am On May 13, 2020
valcorp:
a
would have become a capt by the end of this year (which was why i supported her migration in the first place but the bureaucracy and God knows what made them add extensions). I know it will be a hard fresh start (thinking of picking up a nursing degree/radiography when I arrive). Are these routes possible considering the age factor rather than spend an entire lifetime,training (done Basic airborne, counter terrorism, tracker and crazy courses which have no direct impact on my career and wish I had done more book related courses) and with uncertainties
I have limited knowledge on this as I am a hopeful just like you. However, you can check the roles on their website, there are requirements that must be met if you must do nursing or radiography.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 8:42pm On May 13, 2020
hello All...

Finally gt to the last page.. been a lot of lovely learnings as i read..

@Lexus and other doctos/nurses/HCAs/med professionals in this forum.. God keep u all safe..

never easyyy..

hmmmm Ace Money Transfer tho.. never knew about them and i sent money some days ago *sobs*

Pls how do i manage to get my name on bills like Council Tax that comes 1ce in a year (March)... even when i get my name on council tax.. there will be no bill to show my name for 2020 cos it already came in March 2020 for the period March 2020 - February 2021?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by BJ4REEL(m): 11:49am On May 14, 2020
subcbouy:
Thank you. I did apply last year, too
Hi, how does one apply from Nigeria? I have a brother that will be also interested, thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by subcbouy: 1:58pm On May 14, 2020
BJ4REEL:

Hi, how does one apply from Nigeria? I have a brother that will be also interested, thanks.
Check from their site or Google them up.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by boyka1: 3:36pm On May 14, 2020
Lotusflowerbomb:
They have not, if not they would have posted it on their website. They only said they are not receiving applications from commonwealth for now. Once the pandemic is over, and the travel ban is lifted, they will start sending invitations. Post evidence of what you saw. People have being joining from Nigeria since 2012.

It does.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lotusflowerbomb: 3:38pm On May 14, 2020
boyka1:

It does.
Post evidence
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:14pm On May 14, 2020
profemebee:
hello All...

@Lexus and other doctos/nurses/HCAs/med professionals in this forum.. God keep u all safe..

never easyyy..

hmmmm Ace Money Transfer tho.. never knew about them and i sent money some days ago *sobs*

Pls how do i manage to get my name on bills like Council Tax that comes 1ce in a year (March)... even when i get my name on council tax.. there will be no bill to show my name for 2020 cos it already came in March 2020 for the period March 2020 - February 2021?

Do you personally presently pay council tax?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 5:35pm On May 14, 2020
profemebee:
hello All...

never easyyy..

Are you on the tenancy agreement...council Tax can be amended at any time and same with any bill..... You call council at any point , amend it and tell them to send in the post to you a revised bill that shows the additional name

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Jayvallia: 6:02pm On May 14, 2020
profemebee:
hello All...

never easyyy..

Sent money with Ace since morning. Nothing till now.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by penurypredator(m): 7:24pm On May 14, 2020
Jayvallia:

Same issue with me but i called their customer care and the money went through 40mins after i called.
You can try calling them and they'll ask for only the transaction ID.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 7:38pm On May 14, 2020
Nope.. i send to wifey and she pays via her bank account..

Its still wifey and wifey's sisters names that are on the council flat bill ..

thats what i want to rectify now..

Lexusgs430:

Do you personally presently pay council tax?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 7:41pm On May 14, 2020
perfectttt..

this looks like a good way of doing it..

i just hope it works

the landlord said i need to get Right to rent from estate agent and i'm wondering why this wasn't done since i moved..

the thing is .. the landlords' changed in december 2019 after i moved.. so this is a new landlord..

N.B. I'm not yet on Tenancy Agreement.. i'm trying to get that done once i get Right to Rent done.

LagosismyHome:

Are you on the tenancy agreement...council Tax can be amended at any time and same with any bill..... You call council at any point , amend it and tell them to send in the post to you a revised bill that shows the additional name
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 7:42pm On May 14, 2020
this can be scary..

i'm sure there will be a reason

Jayvallia:

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 8:48pm On May 14, 2020
profemebee:
Nope.. i send to wifey and she pays via her bank account..

Its still wifey and wifey's sisters names that are on the council flat bill ..

thats what i want to rectify now..

If your wife name is on there then I dont think they ask for any proof self. Just call them and say you want to add someone else ... the spouse of someone on the bill.. and then before you end the call ask them to mail a revised bill

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by STENON(f): 9:29pm On May 14, 2020
https://www.nairaland.com/5857711/career-abroad-almost-ruined-within

Strange but true.
Human in devil uniform all because of dependant embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 10:25pm On May 14, 2020
looks like a plan..

thanks i will

I have to get my name on the Tenancy Agreement first tho

LagosismyHome:

If your wife name is on there then I dont think they ask for any proof self. Just call them and say you want to add someone else ... the spouse of someone on the bill.. and then before you end the call ask them to mail a revised bill
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by LagosismyHome(f): 7:12am On May 15, 2020
STENON:
https://www.nairaland.com/5857711/career-abroad-almost-ruined-within

Strange but true.
Human in devil uniform all because of dependant embarassed lipsrsealed

Many unions are together for the wrong reason and it takes two not one to build a home. Once one party has lost the will to work together like this story then sadly it will never work

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Smoke47: 10:12am On May 15, 2020
valcorp:
a
you are eligible to join, your Age is no problem at all.But you'll be joining as a soldier not as an officer. You'll have to provide your service number, and some forms will be sent to you, to be filled by your unit/ commanding officer in Nigeria. If you have a nursing degree in Nigeria it'll be easier for you to join as a nurse or a radiographer, other than that, I guess your best bet will be combat medic, that's if you're interested in going the medical line.

(1) (2) (3) ... (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.