Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,792 members, 7,831,570 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1317700 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:37am On Aug 09, 2018
DisGuy:
^^ so true, I saw the actual cost of some basic treatment in the NHS and i just double my likeness for this NHS model!!

not to talk of US Healthcare system *pukes* first world country?

An NHS bed would cost you £600 per night. That is just a night stay, imagine an admission in HDU, ITU etc etc..... Cost of A & E admission is about £124, a trip by ambulance is £200.00........ Now imagine all this costs combined with all the medical interventions and professionalism ......

Now get admitted for 3 weeks, you would easily see how the cost mounts up........ But now imagine not paying a dime at the point of use ?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 12:52pm On Aug 09, 2018
Lexusgs430:

An NHS bed would cost you £600 per night. That is just a night stay, imagine an admission in HDU, ITU etc etc..... Cost of A & E admission is about £124, a trip by ambulance is £200.00........ Now imagine all this costs combined with all the medical interventions and professionalism ......

Now get admitted for 3 weeks, you would easily see how the cost mounts up........ But now imagine not paying a dime at the point of use ?

Absolutely agree. That is one of the great advantages of the UK over US. Having access to everything without paying anything.

The fear or thought of having an emergency and calling an ambulance cripples people alot in the US
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ronvlaar: 11:42pm On Aug 09, 2018
Lexusgs430:
TV Licence aka Tax by theft..... BBC should be made to compete for advertising on the open market......

A very proud TV licence defaulter..... For many many many years and still counting......

Just don't open your door indiscriminately.........

Aunty Theresa must hear
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 11:47pm On Aug 09, 2018
ronvlaar:

Aunty Theresa must hear

They also have their own tax deal dodging schemes...... We are all in it together.....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by ronvlaar: 11:52pm On Aug 09, 2018
Lexusgs430:

They also have their own tax deal dodging schemes...... We are all in it together.....

Toh! Make I dey backyard dey observe ngbayen o
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 10:06am On Aug 10, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Me too wan dodge oo abeg, teach us the way grin,

Are childcare vouchers worth the stress, been reading up on it but want to ask people that do use it?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 10:34am On Aug 10, 2018
For those planning a trip to Europe, this holiday season.... Ensure you apply for your FREE EHIC card......

Part of the goodies of NHS & EEC.......

NB: Also ensure you have travel insurance, incase medical repatriation is required..........

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:21am On Aug 10, 2018
Lexusgs430:
For those planning a trip to Europe, this holiday season.... Ensure you apply for your FREE EHIC card......

Part of the goodies of NHS & EEC.......

NB: Also ensure you have travel insurance, incase medical repatriation is required..........

True bro. I have that card.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 9:50pm On Aug 10, 2018
fatima04:

Me too wan dodge oo abeg, teach us the way grin,

Are childcare vouchers worth the stress, been reading up on it but want to ask people that do use it?

It depends on your employer if they offer it then you can save £55 per week of your salary from the tax man. Go for it if your employer offers it .
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Heritagee: 1:02pm On Aug 11, 2018
Does NHS cover childbirth cost and postnatal care?

How feasible is if for a woman to care for 2 children all alone in the UK? I'll be going to Coleraine in Northern Ireland

Thank you in anticipation as I await your prompt responses and guidance

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 1:44pm On Aug 11, 2018
hunter777:

They have no advanced equipment to detect if one is watching TV or not. It was a con invented to scare people into paying up. They use their database of over 31 million addresses to check which ones do not have a licence and that is where the fun of them sending you letters start.

If you have ever received any form of letter from TV Licensing, you would notice that it follows a set pattern:
- Your address has no Licence registered to it
- We will be visiting you
- We have opened an investigation and will call at your address soon.. After this stage, they go back to the 1st letter and the cycle will go on.

Rule of thumb is to never allow them gain entrance into your house, do not reply their letters or call them for any reason at all. If you inadvertently open the door and it is one of their officers, DO NOT let them in no matter how polite the person(s) is(are). Do NOT give them your name either. They have no power to arrest neither do they have any power to forcibly enter your home.

After all said though, to pay TV Licence that goes into the coffers of BBC or not is a decision only you can make.

You pretty much nailed it. I will pay TV license if the money goes to all TV stations in the U.K and not just BBC alone even if you don't watch BBC. If BBC need money to pay their over hyped stars they should go commercial.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 11, 2018
Good day friends, pls could anyone let me in on life in North West and Yorkshire & The Humber, especially as it relates to how hospitable they are, how they treat foreigners and whatever else is necessary to make an informed decision between both regions.
Thanks much.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 1:54pm On Aug 11, 2018
Frenchfriez:
Good day friends, pls could anyone let me in on life in North West and Yorkshire & The Humber, especially as it relates to how hospitable they are, how they treat foreigners and whatever else is necessary to make an informed decision between both regions.
Thanks much.

Which city in Yorkshire?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 11, 2018
justwise:

Which city in Yorkshire?
North Yorkshire and Lancaster in NW
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 2:48pm On Aug 11, 2018
Frenchfriez:

North Yorkshire and Lancaster in NW

Sorry you are not being specific, north Yorkshire is not a city, pretty much a county.

I don't much about Lancaster, i know a lot about Yorkshire which is why i'm asking you about city or town in Yorkshire you want to live in.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 3:08pm On Aug 11, 2018
Funny, people are not paying BBC license and complaining the money is going to overhyped celebrities...But, you no dey pay anything yet now! So how is Chris Evans chopping your money?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 11, 2018
justwise:

Sorry you are not being specific, north Yorkshire is not a city, pretty much a county.

I don't much about Lancaster, i know a lot about Yorkshire which is why i'm asking you about city or town in Yorkshire you want to live in.
Well, I'm not be soo conversant with the geography of Yorkshire, but the much info I got is that the location isn't too distant from NYorkshire.
Could you pls let me know wosup about Yorkshire. At least generally.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 4:37pm On Aug 11, 2018
DaveChapelle:
Funny, people are not paying BBC license and complaining the money is going to overhyped celebrities...But, you no dey pay anything yet now! So how is Chris Evans chopping your money?

You seems to be more concerned about TV license than BBC, you can volunteer to pay for those who are not paying.

I pay my council tax, NL, employment tax and you want me to pay TV license to BBC even when i don't watch any live program from BBC?

Nice one.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 4:52pm On Aug 11, 2018
Heritagee:
Good day everyone and happy weekend[b][/b]
Please I need your candid advice on this issue.
I'm a tier 2 applicant awaiting decision. I'm married with a son though my husband is not relocating with us. I will go alone and bring my child over when I'm fully settled.
My problem now is I got to know I was pregnant when I went for TB test. I had secondary infertility for about two years.
My questions now are
1. My recruitment agency is aware of the pregnancy through the TB test report, am I expected to inform my employer? If yes, how soon?
2. Does NHS cover childbirth cost and postnatal care?
3. I'm hoping to resume for work in the early weeks of September. I'm due to deliver around March next year. How soon can I invite my mum over?
4. How feasible is if for a woman to care for 2 children all alone in the UK? I'll be going to Coleraine in Northern Ireland

Thank you in anticipation as I await your prompt responses and guidance

1. I believe your recruitment agency should do that for you but confirm from them as well to be on the safe side and check your contract.

2. Yes it covers all and you are entitled to dental care too whilst pregnant.

3. You can invite your mum over once you are settled in and all. No hard or fast rule to this.

4. It is doable but tough if you are only one as a new migrant and family support is key but if your mum will be coming over, you should be fine.

All the best
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 5:00pm On Aug 11, 2018
Frenchfriez:

Well, I'm not be soo conversant with the geography of Yorkshire, but the much info I got is that the location isn't too distant from NYorkshire.
Could you pls let me know wosup about Yorkshire. At least generally.

Yorkshire is a big county with only one well popular city..Leeds. Leeds is like London of Yorkshire and more developed than other cities around.

Second to Leeds is Bradford which is about 20mins away by train and 45mins by bus, Bradford used to be an industrial city mainly textile and museums and affordable to live though more populated by Asians and recently Eastern Europeans.

Then you have Hull, Hull is arguably the poorest city but with a very good university and an average football club.

Then you have cities like Wakefield, Doncaster, Huddersfield, Sheffield, Sheffield is developed as well with one very good university and another not-so-good university and two football clubs.

North Yorkshire is more quiet with one of the best universities located in York and in North Yorkshire you have a lot of tourist attractions like National park, Yorkshire dales etc

If you are family oriented then North Yorkshire is for you else head to Leeds and Leeds is just 45mins away from Manchester which is a mega city

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 5:34pm On Aug 11, 2018
Much appreciated @justwise
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 6:18pm On Aug 11, 2018
justwise:
[/b]

Yorkshire is a big county with only one well popular city..Leeds. Leeds is like London of Yorkshire and more developed than other cities around.

Second to Leeds is Bradford which is about 20mins away by train and 45mins by bus, Bradford used to be an industrial city mainly textile and museums and affordable to live though more populated by Asians and recently Eastern Europeans.

Then you have Hull, Hull is arguably the poorest city but with a very good university and an average football club.

Then you have cities like Wakefield, Doncaster, Huddersfield, Sheffield, Sheffield is developed as well with one very good university and another not-so-good university and two football clubs.

North Yorkshire is more quiet with one of the best universities located in York and in North Yorkshire you have a lot of tourist attractions like National park, Yorkshire dales etc

If you are family oriented then North Yorkshire is for you else head to Leeds and Leeds is just 45mins away from Manchester which is a mega city
Lol, our zone before before cheesy Bradistan lover for life smiley
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 6:19pm On Aug 11, 2018
Mamatukwas:

Lol, our zone before before cheesy Bradistan lover for life smiley

grin grin An advanced Pakistan

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 7:10pm On Aug 11, 2018
DaveChapelle:

No o, nah pity we just dey pity..... Accept our SIM PARTY....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 9:52pm On Aug 11, 2018
justwise:

grin grin An advanced Pakistan

Ehn we laik eet like dat grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Heritagee: 9:59pm On Aug 11, 2018
fatima04:

1. I believe your recruitment agency should do that for you but confirm from them as well to be on the safe side and check your contract.

2. Yes it covers all and you are entitled to dental care too whilst pregnant.

3. You can invite your mum over once you are settled in and all. No hard or fast rule to this.

4. It is doable but tough if you are only one as a new migrant and family support is key but if your mum will be coming over, you should be fine.

All the best

Thank you so much. Fears allayed
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ukprospect: 6:40am On Aug 12, 2018
justwise:
[/b]

Pls can I get an overview like this too about Nottingham? God bless
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:51am On Aug 12, 2018
Mamatukwas:

Ehn we laik eet like dat grin

lol..i'm not bad mouthing Bradford, spent 6yrs of my life there with mixed experiences
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:59am On Aug 12, 2018
Ukprospect:

Pls can I get an overview like this too about Nottingham? God bless

I really don't know much about Nottingham at the moment, i haven't lived or visited that city though a friend will be moving there next month.

If you want to know anything specific then ask i will get the info from him.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 10:12am On Aug 12, 2018
justwise:

lol..i'm not bad mouthing Bradford, spent 6yrs of my life there with mixed experiences

Lol I know you weren’t hating. Braddy is really a hotbed of mixed experiences. The University is the best though! Would definitely recommend. Good to know you lived there at a point, who knows I might even have met the almighty and elusive Justwise wink
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 10:22am On Aug 12, 2018
Mamatukwas:

Lol I know you weren’t hating. Braddy is really a hotbed of mixed experiences. The University is the best though! Would definitely recommend. Good to know you lived there at a point, who knows I might even have met the almighty and elusive Justwise wink

hmmmm..when did you move to Bradford?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Babyvet: 1:57pm On Aug 12, 2018
fatima04:

Absolutely agree. That is one of the great advantages of the UK over US. Having access to everything without paying anything.

The fear or thought of having an emergency and calling an ambulance cripples people alot in the US

yea the the us healthcare is expensive but is superior to the UK.

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.