Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,827 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (721) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1306738 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (718) (719) (720) (721) (722) (723) (724) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Beenkay(f): 2:09am On Aug 04, 2021
STENON:
thanks Engr. We have applied for a January admission for her . Na money be the koko now angry

@Stenon, your sister can apply for Chevening scholarship which is currently on or look out for Commonwealth scholarship which might start next month (that's if she's going for post graduate studies). All the best to her.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by yemi626: 4:59am On Aug 04, 2021
The Adebisi Custodians will be your best bet. They have manage the activities of High Networth individuals as well as the local affairs of Nigerians in diaspora.
level10:
Please any ideas

I am currently based in UK and I have a business running in Nigeria
Problem is ,I need help on how to transfer my (profits)money from my naira account to my uk account

Help me guys
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by flinton(m): 5:02am On Aug 04, 2021
EngrSaks:
I will just use my guys cases to give the limitations of help to buy

As the amount of the house increased, the amount he owed also increased

After 5 years, your interest rate increases, it also increased with the increase in value

Hard to remortgage to get out money to reinvest in another property

In a traditional "old" house, you can add a new toilet, refurbish the bathroom or upgrade the kitchen or add a conservatory and get instant increase in property value

In a new built, to make amendment you need plenty talk to get approval for minor renovation

Now I'm looking at home ownership as a means of wealth generation...if you can be remortgaging and buying new property every 5-8 years then at retirement you should have at least four houses without too much stress

Plus, everyone should get life insurance themselves and their partners o...na life insurance oyibo take dey ensure say their house go remain for the family after them die...insurance will pay off any unpaid mortgage after death

Wisdom

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tolvin: 5:42am On Aug 04, 2021
Please quote this if you're staying in Glasgow Scotland. Very urgent please!

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by bigtt76(f): 5:57am On Aug 04, 2021
What country are you based or renewing passport from?

twizzie:
You can get a lawyer to help send a letter to the home office. Not appeal as I don't think that is possible now.

Personal experience of someone I know, visit visa denied, 1st last 2 years, then this year. Got a lawyer here who sent a letter addressing what the VO stated as reason for denial cos it seemed they just copied what was in the last refusal.(Which was what the VO did)
They responded they will review and get back in 3 months. 3 months later, asked that he send his passport and visa was approved.

A more expensive route but was better than just re-applying which will have resulted in another definite refusal. (Stenon this advise is not for you, just try organize study visa for your sis, it's better for her.)

Please this innovate website no get Nigeria on list of Countries, thought we could apply for renewal now. Help a sister please.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Iphone123(f): 8:24am On Aug 04, 2021
Please house,is it possible to travel to Naija with an expired passport and proof of the passport renewal application if the person have a valid foreign passport?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 8:50am On Aug 04, 2021
Iphone123:
Please house,is it possible to travel to Naija with an expired passport and proof of the passport renewal application if the person has a valid foreign passport?

Yes. You might get the runaround when you get to Nigeria but its just the usual. Stand your ground and don't give shi shi!
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 9:10am On Aug 04, 2021
Estroller:
New builds are known to be generally more expensive than old builds because they are freshly minted and this gives the occupiers the privilege of being the first to live in the house but that privilege adds extra cost to the price hence the premium.

True there are no guarantees of price increase on an old build in 2 years, but you are much more likely to make that gain with an old build expecially one that you've added value to than you will with a new build within thesame time frame.

Your deposit and equity(which will be negligible because your lender will front load their interest in the first few years of the mortgage) will still amount to thesame initial stake you own in the property except you've paid off or significantly reduced the government loan. This I reckon won't exactly put you in a position to buy without another help or at best leave you with the option of buying with a high LTV which you could have done earlier anyway without the HTB equity loan.

HTB equity loan I will say is mostly suitable for those finding it difficult to save up a deposit, if saving up a deposit is not a challenge then steer off HTB equity loan and if you must use it be prepared to stay put for a while before considering selling.

HTB is designed to help those without enough money to make a huge deposit to get on the property ladder. If the government takes a portion of the profit(or loss) on the property, I don't see anything wrong with that.
I bought a property about 2 years ago using HTB. My decision was based on the fact that I was looking for a bigger house and the ones available had ridiculous rent (almost what i will pay as mortgage). I instead opted to use the HTB scheme with the 5% equity I had.
Now when I remortgage this year, My house was valued at £27k higher than I bought meaning if I paid off the HTB scheme, they will take 20% or £5400 of the "profit" leaving me with £21k "profit". In the lat 2 years, I have also built up equity such that if I sold at current rate, I will have more than what I would have saved while still renting. The rent would have gone to the agency while also looking for spare funds to save towards my deposit. For me it worked and I know the feeling of having to part with some of the value appreciation of the building but it is what it is. I plan on remortgaging when my current rate expires and use part of it to payoff the HTB.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Adewumi2888(m): 9:48am On Aug 04, 2021
Please gurus in the house!!!
What masters scholarship can a person on Spousal visa apply to in this UK?
I was categorized as an International Student.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by justwise(m): 9:53am On Aug 04, 2021
olaness:
Guidance needed, our Ancients! Securing accommodation has really been a great challenge for my husband and I. We are a family of four. His school is in Bradford.
Now my uncle is strongly suggesting we stay in Manchester and my husband who is the student takes the train to Bradford to attend classes. A little more than an hour journey. My uncle has in-laws in Manchester who are already working on getting accommodation for us in Manchester.

Our concerns are:
* The accommodation is a room in a shared flat. (rem, we are a family of four) they say it's doable.
* Manchester is more expensive than Bradford and living costs and childcare are likely to be more expensive too.
* Are there informal arrangements for childcare that will be much cheaper, as this is what my uncle is suggesting?
* If we get airbnb in Bradford for 20 days, are we likely to secure an apartment before the end of the 20 days stay?
* We would really have preferred to be in Bradford, but they are saying that we are going to experience more racism there especially as there are more Pakistanis and Indians there, so finding work will be a challenge.

What can we do please? We need all the guidance and advice we can get. Especially as we are relocating with our kids and want the best option possible.

Living in Manchester and travelling to Bradford for lectures? Your husband must be loaded, bad idea to be honest.

Book Airbnb for a week in Bradford and within that period you people should be able to get a house.

I lived in Bradford for about 6yrs and I know that Bradford is not as bad as people make it. Search for house in these post codes: BD5 and BD7, they are within the university and college proximity and loads of student accommodations. Bradford is not dominated by Asians alone , Eastern Europeans has taken over and you also have a good number of Africans there.

If you don’t like Bradford then Leeds is an alternate, 20mins away by train, 45mins by First bus, Leeds is like London of Yorkshire , well developed, a bit of all races there and also affordable to live.

As always before leaving Nigeria search for houses, book viewing appointments , when you get to the Uk have a look at the university notice board for accommodation ads, Internatioal centre also has list of private landlords you can contact for accommodation

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 11:14am On Aug 04, 2021
That's not bad, like I said it's not a bad option but it's not the best.

In 2 years with renovations to your old house you would have been able to move to a new one and put the current one on rent

Looking at a situation where we can all increase the number of property we own in the shortest time

Africans are not very well represented in the property market. Its something we should all be actively thinking about

dustydee:

HTB is designed to help those without enough money to make a huge deposit to get on the property ladder. If the government takes a portion of the profit(or loss) on the property, I don't see anything wrong with that.
I bought a property about 2 years ago using HTB. My decision was based on the fact that I was looking for a bigger house and the ones available had ridiculous rent (almost what i will pay as mortgage). I instead opted to use the HTB scheme with the 5% equity I had.
Now when I remortgage this year, My house was valued at £27k higher than I bought meaning if I paid off the HTB scheme, they will take 20% or £5400 of the "profit" leaving me with £21k "profit". In the lat 2 years, I have also built up equity such that if I sold at current rate, I will have more than what I would have saved while still renting. The rent would have gone to the agency while also looking for spare funds to save towards my deposit. For me it worked and I know the feeling of having to part with some of the value appreciation of the building but it is what it is. I plan on remortgaging when my current rate expires and use part of it to payoff the HTB.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Tolvin: 11:16am On Aug 04, 2021
Anyone please?
Tolvin:
Please quote this if you're staying in Glasgow Scotland. Very urgent please!

Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 11:21am On Aug 04, 2021
EngrSaks:
That's not bad, like I said it's not a bad option but it's not the best.

In 2 years with renovations to your old house you would have been able to move to a new one and put the current one on rent

Looking at a situation where we can all increase the number of property we own in the shortest time

Africans are not very well represented in the property market. Its something we should all be actively thinking about

No, in 2 years, I would have been paying rent while waiting to save up for my deposit. If I had the 25% deposit from the outset, why would I go for HTB except if I have other investments to put the money into?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Iphone123(f): 11:36am On Aug 04, 2021
DisGuy:

Yes. You might get the runaround when you get to Nigeria but its just the usual. Stand your ground and don't give shi shi!
Much appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by SamReinvented: 2:40pm On Aug 04, 2021
Hi everyone… please I have a question.

Can statement from eToro be submitted as proof of funds to the British embassy when sponsoring someone’s trip from Nigeria? That’s practically where all my money is being housed right now. Only self-sustenance funds stay in my savings account.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by realone2012: 3:01pm On Aug 04, 2021
Good day bosses.
I got an MSc admission for Sept intake at Nottingham. What is the prospect of jobs for a graduate student that is a Chartered Accountant with ACCA over there that can be done as we study?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Aderin0la: 3:18pm On Aug 04, 2021
Hello all,

Please I’ll like to clarify an issue. The last update by home office stated that international students working in the health and care sector can work full time for the time being (because of covid). I wanna confirm if this ONLY applies to people working under the NHS as doctors/nurses/carers, or if it applies also to those working for private health and care companies.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:38pm On Aug 04, 2021
SamReinvented:
Hi everyone… please I have a question.

Can statement from eToro be submitted as proof of funds to the British embassy when sponsoring someone’s trip from Nigeria? That’s practically where all my money is being housed right now. Only self-sustenance funds stay in my savings account.

Are funds already invested or on etoro debit card ..........

What happened to your salary account..........

Is your salary account overdrawn ............

An account balance of £1,000,000, is not required to proof funds ........

Running the account on usual activities + a positive balance, is more important than silver or gold ...... cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Faithluv5(f): 3:59pm On Aug 04, 2021
Thank you very much
TheGuyFromHR:

It's a typically Nigerian process, that's what it is.
The embassy says there's a walk-in process for a 100 pounds, perhaps if someone's tried that they can give us feedback.
Best bet - as you enter the UK in August, sign up and pay for a renewal on the Innovate/NIS website. Then given the current 10 - month backlogs, your turn will probably arrive by the time your passport is expiring in June.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by SamReinvented: 4:07pm On Aug 04, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Are funds already invested or on etoro debit card ..........

What happened to your salary account..........

Is your salary account overdrawn ............

An account balance of £1,000,000, is not required to proof funds ........

Running the account on usual activities + a positive balance, is more important than silver or gold ...... cheesy

Wawu. You asked me so many questions without answering the one question I asked cheesy grin. But the funds are mostly invested.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:13pm On Aug 04, 2021
SamReinvented:

Wawu. You asked me so many questions without answering the one question I asked cheesy grin. But the funds are mostly invested.

I already answered your question ........... grin

The devil is usually in the unseen detail ........ tongue
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:17pm On Aug 04, 2021
SamReinvented:

You can provide your etoro portfolio balance, because you can easily TP or liquidate position. But the etoro statement, would only play a backup role, whilst your salary account would be the wizkid ......... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 4:50pm On Aug 04, 2021
STENON:
Goodafternoon. I applied for my younger sister for 6 months visiting visa but she was refused. She is a graduate, worked with a private hospital in Nigeria for 1 year prior to January 2021. She left her job, moved to stay with my Parents as Home Care Assistant because they are old and now wanted to visit for holiday. I and My husband are sponsoring her trip but I was disappointed based on the reason for refusing her visa. Why are they interested in her bank details ??

So sorry about this refusal, the same happened to me when I applied for my sister who was not working and was being sponsored by me. In her case the reason stated was because she didn't provide a bank statement even though I was sponsoring and my dad who was her sponsor wrote a letter showed his statement and mine.

What I have discovered is UKVI are not particularly favorable to single, unemployed persons applying from Nigeria and in your case maybe the annual income was a little bit lower than they expected.

My advise if possible get a stable income to show strong ties and plan a short stay to start with.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 5:08pm On Aug 04, 2021
dustydee:

No, in 2 years, I would have been paying rent while waiting to save up for my deposit. If I had the 25% deposit from the outset, why would I go for HTB except if I have other investments to put the money into?

Just to add, the HTB equity loan also enables a reduced mortgage cost because you have a higher deposit and better interest rate for a 75% LTV mortgage.

Essentially, it helps people get on the property ladder quickly and start building equity (know a lot of people buy houses within 2years of getting to the UK).

In all buying a house is a big financial decision, best thing is to map out a plan and check the feasibility and viability to ones situation..

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 5:12pm On Aug 04, 2021
EngrSaks:
I will just use my guys cases to give the limitations of help to buy

As the amount of the house increased, the amount he owed also increased

After 5 years, your interest rate increases, it also increased with the increase in value

Hard to remortgage to get out money to reinvest in another property

In a traditional "old" house, you can add a new toilet, refurbish the bathroom or upgrade the kitchen or add a conservatory and get instant increase in property value

In a new built, to make amendment you need plenty talk to get approval for minor renovation

Now I'm looking at home ownership as a means of wealth generation...if you can be remortgaging and buying new property every 5-8 years then at retirement you should have at least four houses without too much stress

Plus, everyone should get life insurance themselves and their partners o...na life insurance oyibo take dey ensure say their house go remain for the family after them die...insurance will pay off any unpaid mortgage after death

I think the bolded is what we don't talk about enough. For those with families, please try and get a Life insurance.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 5:23pm On Aug 04, 2021
fatima04:

I think the bolded is what we don't talk about enough. For those with families, please try and get a Life insurance.

Life insurance is a MUST ....... But you know our people always think, death is usually only for the next person..........

Death never gives warning and if it does, it's too late .......... grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by profemebee(m): 6:13pm On Aug 04, 2021
hi hi, please i still need answers to the provisional driving license question

profemebee:
hi,

Thanks for all the knowledge received.

Please i have some questions:

- I applied for Provisional license and got something in the postcode asking i send in my BRP, passport pics, etc.. I was to travel in 2weeks time so i couldn't follow up with the application. Do i get the 34 pounds back? [/b]or [b]can i just re-apply when i know i wont be travelling? i dont have any means of contacting them..

- I also checked the naija portal where you pay for the Day7 covid test before leaving UK.. when i select Lagos, i dont see the list of covid test providers.. this is strange as the other states display the list of covid test providers.. How does one manage that?

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 6:36pm On Aug 04, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Life insurance is a MUST ....... But you know our people always think, death is usually only for the next person..........

Death never gives warning and if it does, it's too late .......... grin

No one wan die but they wan go heaven grin grin,. How do we know a good provider though if people don't make a claim during their lifetime grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 6:38pm On Aug 04, 2021
profemebee:
hi hi, please i still need answers to the provisional driving license question

You get your money back as long as you don't submit the form within the time frame (precovid). You can check if you can cancel as well. For the covid19 test, no idea could be a glitch in the system, if worried maybe change it to a closer location like ibadan or ogun state.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:47pm On Aug 04, 2021
fatima04:

No one wan die but they wan go heaven grin grin,. How do we know a good provider though if people don't make a claim during their lifetime grin

A claim would be made, at some point ........ cheesy

Life insurance, is actually life assurance....... grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:49pm On Aug 04, 2021
fatima04:

Use platforms like moneysupermarket, confused.com, gocompare etc etc .....

(1) (2) (3) ... (718) (719) (720) (721) (722) (723) (724) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.