Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,486 members, 7,826,835 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off (1968 Views)

Which Car Can I Buy For 3.5m / Tesla Car Spotted On The Mainland Bridge In Lagos Runs Out Of Battery / What Happens If You Fuel A Car Without First Turning Off The Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by Davidlanny: 6:15am On Nov 06, 2017
Dear guys,

When I turn off ignition in my toyota camry 1996, the engine still runs for like 2 secs and the exhausts still bring out gases like twice, shakes a little and turn off. This just started suddenly without anyone working on the car.

Your response will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:41am On Nov 06, 2017
Davidlanny:
Dear guys,

When I turn off ignition in my toyota camry 1996, the engine still runs for like 2 secs and the exhausts still bring out gases like twice, shakes a little and turn off. This just started suddenly without anyone working on the car.

Your response will be highly appreciated.
Thanks

2 possible causes.

1. Excessive carbon buildup in a very hot engine

2. Fans wired directly to ignition.
Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by cardoctor(m): 6:54am On Nov 06, 2017
Your car is suffering from Pre-ignition issues which means the ignition of the fuel/air charge from an extremely heated source prior to the spark plug firing. Pre-ignition may be caused by some other ignition source such as an overheated spark plug tip, carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and, rarely, a burned exhaust valve; all act as a glow plug to ignite the charge.

Your injector nozzles may also be bad and dripping fuel into the combustion chamber after switching off the engine. Have these checked or changed as well.
Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by Tyche(m): 9:58am On Nov 06, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

2 possible causes.

Op pay attention to this, no 2 mostly
Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by Davidlanny: 11:43am On Nov 06, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

2 possible causes.

Thanks will get this checked in 2 days. I actually got a fan fixed and the rewire said he was putting one on relay and the other directly incase d relay fails. However I never thought this could be a reason as he did not touch the engine. Will check this and get back. Thanks for the tips.
Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by Davidlanny: 11:45am On Nov 06, 2017
cardoctor:
Your car is suffering from Pre-ignition issues which means the ignition of the fuel/air charge from an extremely heated source prior to the spark plug firing. Pre-ignition may be caused by some other ignition source such as an overheated spark plug tip, carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and, rarely, a burned exhaust valve; all act as a glow plug to ignite the charge.

Your injector nozzles may also be bad and dripping fuel into the combustion chamber after switching off the engine. Have these checked or changed as well.

Thank, I will pay attention to these also as I need to get thus issue sorted out. As I do n8tification know the negative effect all these can have on d engine.
Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by Davidlanny: 1:47pm On Nov 08, 2017
Davidlanny:

Thanks will get this checked in 2 days. I actually got a fan fixed and the rewire said he was putting one on relay and the other directly incase d relay fails. However I never thought this could be a reason as he did not touch the engine. Will check this and get back. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks guys for your assistance. D rewire removed d cable he connected toward d engine side close to the ignition and connected it to the fuse box and problem solved. Thanks alot.

1 Like

Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:26pm On Nov 08, 2017
Davidlanny:

Thanks guys for your assistance. D rewire removed d cable he connected toward d engine side close to the ignition and connected it to the fuse box and problem solved. Thanks alot.

congrats number 2 worked wink

1 Like

Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:40am On Nov 09, 2017
oga boss throw more light on the no2 I'd like to know how directly connected fans can cause the dieseling effect
Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by SmartchoiceNGR: 11:51am On Nov 09, 2017
you are a demeanour
obekediamondfuto:
oga boss throw more light on the no2
Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by obekediamondfuto(m): 1:29pm On Nov 09, 2017
SmartchoiceNGR:
you are a demeanour
yes I am boss, thank you for the due recognition.

1 Like

Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:44pm On Nov 09, 2017
obekediamondfuto:
oga boss throw more light on the no2 I'd like to know how directly connected fans can cause the dieseling effect

I explained on another thread previously, but ill explain again.

The fans were wired to (inintion power supply ) directly. To stop an engine from running, you shut down powersupply to engine ecu, coils and any accessories that utilze inition for engine to run.

Fans are usually connected via a series of relays, that way it can be controled (turned off and on) it is also connected to a resistor (not every car), resistor determines speed of fan (slow/fast speeds)

In this particular case, power source to engine ECU and accessories were connected straight to fan (went to jail did not pass go).

With ignition off, fans did not stop spinning, and generated powersupply for a short period of time which kept engine alive.

A fan can actually be reverse engineered to become a small turbine (power generator)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by obekediamondfuto(m): 8:25pm On Nov 09, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

The fans were wired to (inintion power supply ) directly. To stop an engine from running, you shut down powersupply to engine ecu, coils and any accessories that utilze inition for engine to run.

Fans are usually connected via a series of relays, that way it can be controled (turned off and on) it is also connected to a resistor (not every car), resistor determines speed of fan (slow/fast speeds)

In this particular case, power source to engine ECU and accessories were connected straight to fan (went to jail did not pass go).

With ignition off, fans did not stop spinning, and generated powersupply for a short period of time which kept engine alive.

A fan can actually be reverse engineered to become a small turbine (power generator)

hmmm that explains it, thank you
Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by goodieuzo: 4:47pm On Nov 10, 2017
oga gazzuzz,you know any one that want to sell his orobo?I have been searching since two month now with budget of 300k.
Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:39pm On Nov 10, 2017
goodieuzo:
oga gazzuzz,you know any one that want to sell his orobo?I have been searching since two month now with budget of 300k.

you are looking for a problem sir wink

1 Like

Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by goodieuzo: 7:24pm On Nov 10, 2017
How will I survive now.I need something to enter road and feed my family now.
Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by Tyche(m): 7:06am On Nov 12, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Boss, you gave me this advice, I have confirmed its the solution but have not been able to carry it out.

The rewires I met says my car system can't be wired such that the fan comes up only when temperature is exceeding 90.

What's the way out Chief! Peugeot D8, XU7 engine
Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:24am On Nov 12, 2017
Tyche:

Boss, you gave me this advice, I have confirmed its the solution but have not been able to carry it out.

The rewires I met says my car system can't be wired such that the fan comes up only when temperature is exceeding 90.

What's the way out Chief! Peugeot D8, XU7 engine

meeting wrong rewires
Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by buchilino(m): 12:06pm On Nov 13, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

congrats number 2 worked wink

IS IT TRUE DAT CAMRY 01 V6 CAN USE D SAME GEAR SYSTEM LIKE CAMRY 03, 04(BIG DADDY). D GEAR SYSTEM OF MY WIFE'S CAMRY 01 V6 ENGINE JUST PACKED UP N D MECHANIC IS SAYING THAT INSTEAD OF BUY SENNA GEAR SYSTEM, I SHOULD BUY D BIG DADDY'S GEAR SYSTEM. HIS TALKING ABOUT ONE HAVING 10 TEETH N D OTHER HAVING 13 TEETH, EVEN THOUGH I DON'T UNDERSTAND WAT D HELL HIS TALKING ABOUT. I NEED ADVICE.
Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:41pm On Nov 13, 2017
buchilino:

IS IT TRUE DAT CAMRY 01 V6 CAN USE D SAME GEAR SYSTEM LIKE CAMRY 03, 04(BIG DADDY). D GEAR SYSTEM OF MY WIFE'S CAMRY 01 V6 ENGINE JUST PACKED UP N D MECHANIC IS SAYING THAT INSTEAD OF BUY SENNA GEAR SYSTEM, I SHOULD BUY D BIG DADDY'S GEAR SYSTEM. HIS TALKING ABOUT ONE HAVING 10 TEETH N D OTHER HAVING 13 TEETH, EVEN THOUGH I DON'T UNDERSTAND WAT D HELL HIS TALKING ABOUT. I NEED ADVICE.

1. Please stop writing in capital letters.

2. Your exact gearbox is available in the market, it comes in a 10pin socket type costs between 80-120k.
Re: Toyota 1996 Still Runs For 3 Sec After Turning Off by CHISPAREPARTS(m): 6:46pm On Nov 13, 2017
If you need good auto parts, you can contact me.

(1) (Reply)

In The 80s, The Price Of This Car Was Less Than ₦4000 / Where Can I Buy A Nice Car For N600,000 / Toyota Camry(2000-2001) Vs Honda Accord(2001-2002)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.