Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,585 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? (15140 Views)

How Much Will I Need To Roof This 3 Bedroom Bungalow - / How Much Will It Cost To Roof This House? / How Much Does It Take To Roof A 3 Bedroom Apartment In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by maxiuc(m): 7:43am On Nov 08, 2017
cheesy
Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by canalily(m): 7:51am On Nov 08, 2017
Ask mr Rufus pls:-(
Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by twinskenny(m): 7:52am On Nov 08, 2017
Trendy247:
Pls I need advice on this... And please what is the cost difference between using hardwood and palm tree wood

My neighbour used it no wood treatment needed

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by metroid(m): 7:55am On Nov 08, 2017
KingMicky3286:

No. We used coconut tree and its been there since 40 years now and strong... hard like that rod under my legs...

Mehn your discomfort and pains no be here oh! shocked
With your hard rod under your legs grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by Sleemut09: 7:59am On Nov 08, 2017
https://www.nairaland.com/4055684/believe-me-it-cost-less

Follow that my post, every information you need is embedded
Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by robotix: 8:13am On Nov 08, 2017
Ndkings1:
Using palm tree wood to roof a house?
Never heard of it before....
it is coconut tree that he meant. Those woods strong OK. Termite no fit eat am

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by wildchild02: 8:17am On Nov 08, 2017
No it's not

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get it customized FREE OF CHARGE
Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by Temidayo9(m): 8:18am On Nov 08, 2017
Palm tree is good and long lasting, but it easily gives way for nail , don't hold on to nail in for long time, especially storm prone area, you will loose your roof easily to storm.

And its also very difficult to achieve roofing neatness compare to wooden .

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by princeleo2017(m): 8:45am On Nov 08, 2017
I will suggests you use Mango wood ( ubia or red wood) I think is stronger and more reliable den you can use bitter kola wood to do the crossing (2x2).
Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by Shegman22(m): 8:47am On Nov 08, 2017
Structurally is not good for modern structures
Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by Ajalekoko76(m): 8:54am On Nov 08, 2017
EngrMarve:
In engineering there's study for strength of material, if you are building with bricks (which shows it's a modern structure), please do not use palm trees, the composition(bond) of matter in palm trees is not good for modern structures
Pls. Educate us more. Pros and cons of Igi Agbon have not be discussed properly for instance if there is need for me change my house zinc in future,will nails penetrate into Igi Agbon then ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by Teeboi56: 9:23am On Nov 08, 2017
Go ask everywhere
Palm oil wood is d best
But only if u don't allow rain to drop on it
Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by modsRbastard: 10:17am On Nov 08, 2017
EngrMarve:
In engineering there's study for strength of material, if you are building with bricks (which shows it's a modern structure), please do not use palm trees, the composition(bond) of matter in palm trees is not good for modern structures

You have successfully said nothing. Just a bunch of supposed intellectual words mumbled up there. I'm sure you know in that's same Strenght of material there's a study for tensile strength, I've seen trees rip off branches and stem in storms but all I see a palm tree do is take a bow and assume it's position after the storm.

If you may, kindly elucidate how a sparsely layed out 2x4 wood would affect a brick structure...or maybe you forgot the part of Engineering that teaches "wood seasoning".
Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by blackhinstan: 10:20am On Nov 08, 2017
palm tree is not made of wood but fibre
Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by modsRbastard: 10:24am On Nov 08, 2017
Temidayo9:
Palm tree is good and long lasting, but it easily gives way for nail , don't hold on to nail in for long time, especially storm prone area, you will loose your roof easily to storm.

And its also very difficult to achieve roofing neatness compare to wooden .

I agree with you on the neatness but not totally on the part with holding on to nails, the ones that don't hold on to nails are those that has been tapped for Palm wine, if you're using palm tree for roofing, make sure it's the untapped one. Trust me, your carpenters will stop work midway and renegotiate the fee.
Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by modsRbastard: 10:32am On Nov 08, 2017
Teeboi56:
Go ask everywhere
Palm oil wood is d best
But only if u don't allow rain to drop on it

This is also true, water is palm trees bane. Palm tries are composed of fibre which tends to degrade once exposed to water, that explains why the outer shell is toughest and nearly water proof. If you're going to roof with it, dry season is the best to do so.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by Chukazu: 10:53am On Nov 08, 2017
Ndkings1:
Using palm tree wood to roof a house? Never heard of it before....
must be a mud house
Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by Trendy247: 12:10pm On Nov 08, 2017
robotix:
it is coconut tree that he meant. Those woods strong OK. Termite no fit eat am
Nah.. I mean red oil palm tree
Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by robotix: 1:29pm On Nov 08, 2017
Trendy247:

Nah.. I mean red oil palm tree
Well, Coconut tree is the closest we have heard of but not palm tree. Give it a try and let us know the outcome.
Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by wilfrik200(m): 1:34pm On Nov 08, 2017
Trendy247:
Pls I need advice on this... And please what is the cost difference between using hardwood and palm tree wood

It's the best if you can find the good one
Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by saydfact(m): 2:47pm On Nov 08, 2017
if well cut and treated - you can...
Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by EngrMarve(m): 3:10pm On Nov 08, 2017
modsRbastard:

You have successfully said nothing. Just a bunch of supposed intellectual words mumbled up there. I'm sure you know in that's same Strenght of material there's a study for tensile strength, I've seen trees rip off branches and stem in storms but all I see a palm tree do is take a bow and assume it's position after the storm.

If you may, kindly elucidate how a sparsely layed out 2x4 wood would affect a brick structure...or maybe you forgot the part of Engineering that teaches "wood seasoning".
so because it took a bow and stand, then it has what it takes.
The sense wey you dey claim, you finally no get sense. Go and read your book. We have more to it which I can't disclose here. You ain't an engineer to know, OK?
Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by malawe(m): 3:12pm On Nov 08, 2017
yes of cause, but has to be well treated..
Re: Is It Advisable To Roof A House Using Palm Tree Wood? by money121(m): 11:51pm On Oct 27, 2018

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wetin be this??? / Toyota Coaster Bus For Hire In Lagos At Reduced Price / Do You Need A Land To Buy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.