Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,622 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive (1225 Views)

Lagos Ranks 5th Best African City To Live, Work In – Brand Finance City Index / Lagos Ranks Second On World’s Least Livable Cities - EIU / Lagos Ranked As The Second Cheapest City In The World For Expatriates (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by Danladi7: 6:45pm On Nov 06, 2017
Nigeria commercial nerve centre , Lagos, has been
ranked the second cheapest city in the world for
expatriates.

According to a report by the Economic Intelligence
Unit on Monday , Lagos which fell 16 places to
132 nd place on the world priciest cities index joins
Kazakhstan ’ s Almaty at the bottom .

The report said, “Although Nigeria has been
attracting significant interest and investment in
recent years, the fall in global oil prices has driven
a collapse in the value of the Nigerian naira ,
which pushed down relative pricing , despite
strong local inflation. The relative cost of living in
Lagos has more than halved since 2008 , which
might signal renewed interest from foreign
investors , with price levels so low by international
standards. “

The Worldwide Cost of Living 2017 report saw
Asian cities take five of the top ten spots, thanks to
a sustained recovery in the strength of the
Japanese yen that propelled Tokyo and Osaka back
into the top ten, alongside Singapore and Seoul .

Singapore was ranked the most expensive city in
the world for expatriates for the fourth
consecutive year .

Western Europe accounted for a further four
cities , with stalwarts Zurich and Geneva in third
and seventh position respectively.
Paris , the only Eurozone city , came in eighth
position and the Danish capital Copenhagen , which
pegs its currency to the Euro, rounded off the top
ten.

New York was the lone North American
representative, falling to ninth position owing to a
slight weakening of the U .S . dollar , which also
affected the position of other US cities .
In spite of topping the ranking , “Singapore still
offers relative value in some categories, especially
compared with its regional peers ,” the report said .
It remains significantly cheaper for categories such
as household goods, personal care and domestic
help , but is still the most expensive place in the
world to buy and run a car , the report found .
In contrast , Seoul , Tokyo and Osaka were the three
most expensive places in the world to buy staple
goods.

The Worldwide Cost of Living is a twice- yearly
survey that compares more than 400 individual
prices across 160 products and services that
include food , rent, transport and recreational
costs , among others .

www.punchng.com/lagos-ranked-second-cheapest-city-worldwide-singapore-worlds-priciest/

Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by sarrki(m): 6:46pm On Nov 06, 2017
Following

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by joystickextend1(m): 6:46pm On Nov 06, 2017
Lagos cheapest? undecided wrong
Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by Danladi7: 6:46pm On Nov 06, 2017
grin yorubaland and Igbo people's benin land or no mans land or whatever!
Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by Airforce1(m): 6:46pm On Nov 06, 2017
Lagos is not cheap
Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by sarrki(m): 6:48pm On Nov 06, 2017
If Lagos ranked 132

I can bet you no states from the east side can ranked 15,000 on the list

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by Donald50: 6:53pm On Nov 06, 2017
cheapest..,,, and Nigerians are struggling to stay or live in Lagos...,the naira is weak,the govt is weak,our leaders are weak,economy is weak..,,,Nigeria,as a system is weak!!!!
Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by Donald50: 6:54pm On Nov 06, 2017
sarrki:
If Lagos ranked 132

...See u, see weakness...you are a weak man...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by Donald50: 6:56pm On Nov 06, 2017
Airforce1:
Lagos is not cheap
As weak as anything u can think of ..
Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by sarrki(m): 6:57pm On Nov 06, 2017
Donald50:
...See u, see weakness...you are a weak man...

Mechonu

Where have I wronged you in my statement ?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by Sylver247: 6:57pm On Nov 06, 2017
Cheapest ke. Are they talking about Agege and Iyana paja?
Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by sarrki(m): 6:58pm On Nov 06, 2017
Donald50:
As weak as anything u can think of ..

Mr developer

Abi nah emergency analyst Tell us what we don't know
Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by nerodenero: 6:58pm On Nov 06, 2017
For expatriates, maybe Yes because a dollar is like N360 and you bring huge amount of dollars into Nigera, nna, you be lordgringringrincheesy.

We Nigerians believe and sabi say Lagos is not only the most expensive but toughest place to live for Nigeria. Only the gallant and strong dey survive. If you survive for Lasgidi, no where wey you no fit live, fact!!!
Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by Horlufemi(m): 7:01pm On Nov 06, 2017
Na lie
Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by CrtlAltDel: 7:03pm On Nov 06, 2017
Sylver247:
Cheapest ke. Are they talking about Agege and Iyana paja?
Yes, chepeast city not cheapest Village…. Hope you can see the other cities on the list grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by NCP: 7:05pm On Nov 06, 2017
Lagos is a World Renowned City. So l expect it to be London, New York or America to some specific groups of people.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by olojowon: 7:07pm On Nov 06, 2017
Donald50:
cheapest..,,, and Nigerians are struggling to stay or live in Lagos...,the naira is weak,the govt is weak,our leaders are weak,economy is weak..,,,Nigeria,as a system is weak!!!!
and you yourself is the weakest!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by Nobody: 7:11pm On Nov 06, 2017
sarrki:
If Lagos ranked 132

Go and repair your manhood
Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by Donald50: 7:14pm On Nov 06, 2017
sarrki:

Mechonu
Where have I wronged you in my statement ?
..if u ask me,na who I go ask
Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by python1: 7:19pm On Nov 06, 2017
sarrki:
If Lagos ranked 132

Sarrki, no take laff kee me abeg grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by python1: 7:21pm On Nov 06, 2017
sarrki:

Mr developer

Abi nah emergency analyst Tell us what we don't know
Sarrki again? I swear you be comedian. grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by mgbadike81: 7:26pm On Nov 06, 2017
unless they consider Lagos as the only city in Nigeria. Onitsha is far more affordable than Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by Danielnino00(m): 8:02pm On Nov 06, 2017
Are u f#####g kidding me?? Lagos is cheap??
Well it could be due to the falling naira..
Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by Marcelo290(m): 9:01pm On Nov 06, 2017
sarrki:
If Lagos ranked 132

Who do you this thing Salaki? must everything be all about Ipob, East, Buhari, Apc etc? tufiakwa gi!

Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by sarrki(m): 5:17am On Nov 07, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
Go and repair your manhood

How will that help you my dear ?
Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by Nobody: 5:36am On Nov 07, 2017
sarrki:
If Lagos ranked 132

Savagery grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by Nobody: 6:58am On Nov 07, 2017
Donald50:

Your parents are weak to produce an offspring like you undecided
Re: Lagos Ranks World’s Second Cheapest City, Singapore Most Expensive by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:09am On Nov 07, 2017
Lagos is cheap for foreigners who live there . Our weak currency contributed to that . Read the article first.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Sandstorm In Nigeria / Relocating To Hongkong / Port Harcourt Is The Third Most Developed City In Nigeria (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.