Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,173 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:46 AM

Why Exactly Is There No Power In Nigeria? - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why Exactly Is There No Power In Nigeria? (1938 Views)

Power Your Basic Home Appliances Such As Tv, Decoder, Fan,etc. - No Power Outage / A 50,000-Year-Old Lake In India Turns Pink And Experts Don't Know Exactly Why / This White-Necked Raven Sounds Exactly Like A Human! (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Exactly Is There No Power In Nigeria? by LordeCalifornia: 9:32am On Nov 09, 2017
xdos:
Feraz, sorry for my late response. I am currently at Odukpani power plant conducting some test on their units.
Concerning the question, I have seen very true responses from some gentlemen. I didnt pick their names.
Reason we dont have power in Nigeria. First, the govt regulatory agencies e.g. NERC are not living up to their responsibilities.
They are not puting pressure on the DISCOs to meter their customers and also upgrade their hardwares. Hence the reason for load rejection and power outages. Here in Calabar, five units are available but there are only two producing energy and the grid frequency is 50.46hz which is quite high. Infact they had 3 on the grid but they were told to shutdown one because of high frequency. And I am very sure a lot of homes in Calabar do not have light at the moment.

Secondly, the law that states that energy generated must pass through our dilapidated grid system also is another reason. The grid is not capable of carrying all the energy generated.
Our country needs to embrace the smart grid solution. If this is handled, I see a powerboom.
The FG managing power generation, transmission and distribution is another reason we dont have power. The FG has no business managing power. They should allow the states handle it.
Let me drop my pen here...
Alas, someone's talking about Transmission.

Sir, what exactly is the present state of our grid system? How is it dilapidated? Or did you mean to say outdated?

And Talking about smart grid, has it ever been suggested to the federal government? Or are you just solely coming up with the idea

Finally, about metering,
Some states in the north are already metering all their customers (I don't know about the south)
Re: Why Exactly Is There No Power In Nigeria? by Just30: 10:23am On Nov 09, 2017
4kings:

What is no longer an issue?
what you were talking about
we have excess capacity
Now we have to decommission some plants
Re: Why Exactly Is There No Power In Nigeria? by greatface(m): 10:54am On Nov 09, 2017
4kings:
Okay

Lol, apparently so are you.
grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Is There No Power In Nigeria? by 4kings: 10:56am On Nov 09, 2017
Just30:
what you were talking about
we have excess capacity
Now we have to decommission some plants
Oh, you're a Ghanian.
My emphasis was not on your current state.
But what do you mean by "excess capacity"?
Re: Why Exactly Is There No Power In Nigeria? by xdos(m): 12:12pm On Nov 09, 2017
Ermm... I carelessly used the word 'dilapidated' cos' a lot of things have failed in there. Yea you may say outdated.

I cant say here if the smart grid solution idea has been sold to the FG but Smart Grid solution is an open secret.
The metering ongoing is a very good thing. I think for the South, it is based on Customer request.
LordeCalifornia:

Alas, someone's talking about Transmission
Re: Why Exactly Is There No Power In Nigeria? by LordeCalifornia: 12:15pm On Nov 09, 2017
xdos:
Ermm... I carelessly used the word 'dilapidated' cos' a lot of things have failed in there. Yea you may say outdated.

I cant say here if the smart grid solution idea has been sold to the FG but Smart Grid solution is an open secret.
The metering ongoing is a very good thing. I think for the South, it is based on Customer request.
Alright. Thanks for the enlightenment.

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Is There No Power In Nigeria? by Just30: 7:42pm On Nov 09, 2017
4kings:

Oh, you're a Ghanian.
My emphasis was not on your current state.
But what do you mean by "excess capacity"?
at peak ours of demand in power supply, we turn to have 500MW available power that cannot be use.
Re: Why Exactly Is There No Power In Nigeria? by Feraz(m): 8:52pm On Nov 10, 2017
xdos:
Feraz, sorry for my late response. I am currently at Odukpani power plant conducting some test on their units.
Concerning the question, I have seen very true responses from some gentlemen. I didnt pick their names.
Reason we dont have power in Nigeria. First, the govt regulatory agencies e.g. NERC are not living up to their responsibilities.
They are not puting pressure on the DISCOs to meter their customers and also upgrade their hardwares. Hence the reason for load rejection and power outages. Here in Calabar, five units are available but there are only two producing energy and the grid frequency is 50.46hz which is quite high. Infact they had 3 on the grid but they were told to shutdown one because of high frequency. And I am very sure a lot of homes in Calabar do not have light at the moment.

Secondly, the law that states that energy generated must pass through our dilapidated grid system also is another reason. The grid is not capable of carrying all the energy generated. Our country needs to embrace the smart grid solution. If this is handled, I see a powerboom.
The FG managing power generation, transmission and distribution is another reason we dont have power. The FG has no business managing power. They should allow the states handle it.
Let me drop my pen here...
Thanks boss for the comment. Glad to learn from you as usual. smiley

Had an idea of some of them but I just couldn't place how to write them down.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Exactly Is There No Power In Nigeria? by xdos(m): 8:47pm On Nov 11, 2017
Anytime Farez
Feraz:
Thanks boss for the comment. Glad to learn from you as usual. smiley

Had an idea of some of them but I just couldn't place how to write them down.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Use Online Tools To Deliver Learning / Nigerian Type Of Wiring In US / Scientists Are Creating Glow In The Dark Trees To Replace Street Lamps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.