Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,941 members, 7,952,786 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:46 AM

Why Is It That The Fruits In America Taste So Different From The Ones Here In Nigeria. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Is It That The Fruits In America Taste So Different From The Ones Here In Nigeria. (1446 Views)

List Of The Most Expensive Fruits In The World / Top Ten Fruits In Nigeria And Its Benefits / Eat Fruits In Empty Stomach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It That The Fruits In America Taste So Different From The Ones Here In Nigeria. by peacettw: 9:07pm On Mar 20, 2010
This happened to be the first thing i noticed when i went to the states 2 years ago and if the truth is to be told, i literally starved. I hated the bagels, mexican food, chinese rice, mcdonalds, , and in the period of 3 months i stayed out, i fell in love with garri which prior to my leaving was one of my worst food. Pls, what's going on with their food over there?
Re: Why Is It That The Fruits In America Taste So Different From The Ones Here In Nigeria. by THEAMAKA(f): 9:11pm On Mar 20, 2010
could it be the environment in which they were grown and how Nigerian fruit is probably 100% natural with nothing added, unlike the US which add certain things to their produce (either to keep pesticides away or to enhance color/taste)
Re: Why Is It That The Fruits In America Taste So Different From The Ones Here In Nigeria. by OBLONG(m): 9:18pm On Mar 20, 2010
Fruits in America has lots and lots of chemicals in it. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Is It That The Fruits In America Taste So Different From The Ones Here In Nigeria. by peacettw: 9:36pm On Mar 20, 2010
If that is the case, then why on earth do people buy them knowing fully well it's altered? If they were tasteful, then i will understand but believe me when i say that those things had little or no taste.
Re: Why Is It That The Fruits In America Taste So Different From The Ones Here In Nigeria. by OBLONG(m): 9:39pm On Mar 20, 2010
^^^^^ some people have no choice. OTHERS STICK WITH THE FARMERS MARKET OR ORGANIC products vs.  china made and chemically- induced fruits shipped to America.
Re: Why Is It That The Fruits In America Taste So Different From The Ones Here In Nigeria. by peacettw: 9:45pm On Mar 20, 2010
Re: Why Is It That The Fruits In America Taste So Different From The Ones Here In Nigeria. by peacettw: 9:45pm On Mar 20, 2010
China made? That's a new one. Had heard about the organic food but had had no inkling on where to get them. Just remembered that their chicken, CHICKEN for the love of all that's good does not taste like chicken. Did they alter the poor birds too?
Re: Why Is It That The Fruits In America Taste So Different From The Ones Here In Nigeria. by THEAMAKA(f): 9:50pm On Mar 20, 2010
lol that's America for you!!!
people eat then knowing fully well that they are chemically enhanced because they are FDA approve, which means they are safe.
you can try a store called Trader Joe's because they are an organic store, but a bit pricey.
but if you think it's worth it, then. . .
or if you can't find that, try and look for other organic stores in your area.

the birds? probably. . .
undecided
Re: Why Is It That The Fruits In America Taste So Different From The Ones Here In Nigeria. by OBLONG(m): 9:56pm On Mar 20, 2010
peacettw:

China made? That's a new one. Had heard about the organic food but had had no inkling on where to get them. Just remembered that their chicken, CHICKEN for the love of all that's good does not taste like chicken. Did they alter the poor birds too?

unfortunately---- too many UNSAFE products coming from China. California experienced the drought when they had no rain for a while and their farmers couldn't supply the food demand. So they turned to CHINA for food. HOW SAD!!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Is It That The Fruits In America Taste So Different From The Ones Here In Nigeria. by Idowuogbo(f): 11:47pm On Mar 20, 2010
THE AMAKA:

could it be the environment in which they were grown and how Nigerian fruit is probably 100% natural with nothing added, unlike the US which add certain things to their produce (either to keep pesticides away or to enhance color/taste)

kwenu amaka tell dem dat d motherland soil is different dats y nigeria can neva grow grapes cheesy cheesy wink
Re: Why Is It That The Fruits In America Taste So Different From The Ones Here In Nigeria. by 190: 11:54pm On Mar 20, 2010
na lie ooh have u tried 9ja pineapples
or mango~

infact kerosene mango are the best ever~

america my backside~ angry angry
Re: Why Is It That The Fruits In America Taste So Different From The Ones Here In Nigeria. by peacettw: 5:13am On Mar 21, 2010
190:

na lie ooh have u tried 9ja pineapples
or mango~

infact kerosene mango are the best ever~

america my backside~ angry angry
You know, these are the 2 fruits u can easily tell their taste are dramatically different from the ones in America esp the mangoes. Add apples to the list and u re ready to do anything to magically import the fruits from home to retain your sanity
Re: Why Is It That The Fruits In America Taste So Different From The Ones Here In Nigeria. by platinumnk(f): 5:24am On Mar 21, 2010
I would fly home just to eat my Village Bush Mangoes!

and the Oranges! My grandma got a nice fruit farm, stay there all day plucking the fruit grin

mmmm the pineapple on chill are sooo sweet, gosh got me craving for home!

Though I wish 9ja grew grapes or strawberries or satumas

Im gonna sneak a mango seed back with next time, Mangos are tooo expensive here angry angry angry angry
almost 2 dol for just one silly mango!

/
Re: Why Is It That The Fruits In America Taste So Different From The Ones Here In Nigeria. by firestar(f): 3:20pm On Mar 21, 2010
Two dollars. . .?
For a mango. . .?

Seriously?!
I have two species of mango trees here that I partake of in its season that I've called off BUYING the fruit.
Hmm. . . Let's see: Pineapple, breadfruit, almond, banana, guava, agbalumo, awin, yeye, asala, abiodun(?), apple(the local white/pink/ bugurdy variety), Egg plant, vegetables. . .

Damn, the list's endless.
Re: Why Is It That The Fruits In America Taste So Different From The Ones Here In Nigeria. by kadman(m): 11:50pm On Mar 21, 2010
It's not just the US. . it's the UK too, just seeing the fruits massive and shiny you'll already suspect something is wrong. I've been trying to get in shape eating fruits, but the fruits here are worse than McDonald's. I guess organic is the way to go, but not for now as I'm a starving student.

(1) (Reply)

What's Your Favourite Soup? / BEANS : Wash And Cook , Soak And Bake / Ewa Agoyin: How To Cook Ewa Agoyin Beans (easy Mashed Beans Recipe)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.