Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,302 members, 7,829,710 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached (4080 Views)

Please Help! My Chicks Legs Are Getting Bent Day By Day!! / Pls Help My Chicks / Help! My Chicks Don't Grow Fast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by 2map(m): 11:36pm On Nov 11, 2017
Just last month, i bought six 7weeks old turkey chicks. Unfortunately i lost one to a chronic infection, now remaining five. Since then, the infection still persists despite using 'poxformular', a drug recommended.
At first, 3 of the 5 chicks were badly infected with swollen eyes ( like the swelling is filled with water), but presently they all have the same infection, the worst ever. I'm so worried right now. I'll be glad if anyone can recommend a drug, mixture or whatever to make it go away. It's been like this for 4 weeks plus now.
They are about 11 weeks old.

Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by princetom1(m): 11:48pm On Nov 11, 2017
2map:
Just last month, i bought six 7weeks old turkey chicks. Unfortunately i lost one to a chronic infection, now remaining five. Since then, the infection still persists despite using 'poxformular', a drug recommended.
At first, 3 of the 5 chicks were badly infected with swollen eyes ( like the swelling is filled with water), but presently they all have the same infection, the worst ever. I'm so worried right now. I'll be glad if anyone can recommend a drug, mixture or whatever to make it go away. It's been like this for 4 weeks plus now.

No pics
Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by dokita001(m): 11:52pm On Nov 11, 2017
2map:

Get Qei's NARV-P and mix in their drinking water.

They'll all be fine in 1week.

Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by 2map(m): 11:53pm On Nov 11, 2017
princetom1:

No pics
I've attached the pictures.
Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by 2map(m): 11:54pm On Nov 11, 2017
dokita001:

How do i get this?
Please see the pictures to understand what I'm talking about.
Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by Martinez19(m): 12:12am On Nov 12, 2017
dokita001:

undecided

Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by Baroba(m): 12:18am On Nov 12, 2017
Contact your vet before you lose the remaining birds..
Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by dokita001(m): 12:42am On Nov 12, 2017
2map:

How do i get this?
Please see the pictures to understand what I'm talking about.

I have seen the pictures already.

Get what I recommended & thank me later.

Place an order for it via whatsapp 07066620720 & it will be waybilled to you wherever you are.
Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by Oxster(m): 12:51am On Nov 12, 2017
The second pics can b use as meme grin
Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by Oxster(m): 12:52am On Nov 12, 2017
Like,,you think u doing me?u r doing urself grin

Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by Nobody: 12:59am On Nov 12, 2017
2map:
This is my personal advice, you need an antibiotic that deals with a mycoplasma disease. It's a common disease in poultry. Its likely one of the two pathogens below in your turkey flock.

Mycoplasma gallisepticum: signs can include foamy eyes, sneezing, nasal discharge, swollen eyelids and sinuses, reduced egg production and gasping in chickens, turkeys and pheasants, swollen sinuses in waterfowl. This one is the main culprit in backyard flocks.

Mycoplasma synoviae: signs include swollen and hot joints in chickens and turkeys and/or respiratory signs as above, or thin, deformed shells at the broad (apical) end of the egg.

Recommended Drug: Est mix wsp for five days
Use recommended dosage of at least 3ml in 6 litres per day.

A good multivitamin like powervit is also needed.
Good luck.
Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by Nobody: 1:23am On Nov 12, 2017
Prevention (Medical recommendations)

Keep stressors to a minimum or if a known stressor such as a show is imminent, give vitamin supplementation. There are several useful products on the market which contain probiotics and/or vitamins, administered in the water.
Stressors here include heat, low feed quality, pecking order, etc.

Use a suitable disinfectant for both huts and equipment.
Polidine disinfectant will work wonders here

Keep dust and ammonia levels low by having ventilation on two sides of the room and never closing it off.
Most people are guilty of this

Feed high quality commercial food for the stage of growth and the species of bird.
What feed are you using?
Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by obstead200(m): 1:29am On Nov 12, 2017
EMMAACHILE:

This is my personal advice, you need an antibiotic that deals with a mycoplasma disease. It's a common disease in poultry. Its likely one of the two pathogens below in your turkey flock.

Mycoplasma gallisepticum: signs can include foamy eyes, sneezing, nasal discharge, swollen eyelids and sinuses, reduced egg production and gasping in chickens, turkeys and pheasants, swollen sinuses in waterfowl. This one is the main culprit in backyard flocks.

Mycoplasma synoviae: signs include swollen and hot joints in chickens and turkeys and/or respiratory signs as above, or thin, deformed shells at the broad (apical) end of the egg.

Recommended Drug: Est mix wsp for five days
Use recommended dosage of at least 3ml in 6 litres per day.

A good multivitamin like power it is also needed.
Good luck.
on point.
Looks like an upper respiratory tract infection and also some symptoms of wet pox.
Revaccinate against fowl pox. Then Use a combination of these drugs below:
Viracid
Bio GMP (mycoplasma)
Any other drug containing ciprofloxaxin.

Any good vet store will have them. Act fast. They will be fine in one week. Problem is that for just 6 birds, these drugs would cost u a lot (about 4k in all). May not be worth it.
Would suggest u leave EST mix for now.
Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by obstead200(m): 1:31am On Nov 12, 2017
EMMAACHILE:

Keep stressors to a minimum or if a known stressor such as a show is imminent, give vitamin supplementation. There are several useful products on the market which contain probiotics and/or vitamins, administered in the water.

Keep dust and ammonia levels low by having ventilation on two sides of the room and never closing it off.

Feed high quality commercial food for the stage of growth and the species of bird.
What feed are you using?
OP, note the above advice too. Stress increases this disease in birds. I had a major outbreak in my farm when I moved my birds into the cage during broad daylight. Now I only do it at night when they are quiet

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by Nobody: 1:59am On Nov 12, 2017
obstead200:
on point.
Looks like an upper respiratory tract infection and also some symptoms of wet pox.
Revaccinate against fowl pox. Then Use a combination of these drugs below:
Viracid
Bio GMP (mycoplasma)
Any other drug containing ciprofloxaxin

Any good vet store will have them. Act fast. They will be fine in one week. Problem is that for just 6 birds, these drugs would cost u a lot (about 4k in all). May not be worth it.
Would suggest u leave EST mix for now.
Good advice though Est mix wsp can replace those drugs you listed over there with a broader spectrum including almost all respiratory poultry disease, antifungal, anticocci and some cold related ones.
Remember its a combination of three powerful active ingredients
Erythromycin (as thiocyanate) 180 mg
Sulphadiazine (as sodium) 150 mg
Trimethoprim 30 mg
Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by obstead200(m): 2:05am On Nov 12, 2017
EMMAACHILE:

Good advice though Est mix wsp can replace those drugs you listed over there with a broader spectrum including almost all respiratory poultry disease, antifungal, anticocci and some cold related ones.
Remember its a combination of three powerful active ingredients
Erythromycin (as thiocyanate) 180 mg
Sulphadiazine (as sodium) 150 mg
Trimethoprim 30 mg
if u use EST for infections for which u could use a narrower spectrum antibiotic, some bacteria not specifically targeted will develop resistance. What will u now do if such bacteria cause a future ailment, seeing that they have built resistance?
EST mix shud be last resort. But anyway his flock is small. He can save money by using EST but I wud not do that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by Dimejimichael(m): 9:43am On Nov 12, 2017
Good morning guys.
I have been battling with fowl pox for the pass 2weeks now, I bought a drugs to treat the fowl, I administer the drugs to my cockerel for 5 consecutively days, after the administration, there is no improve, I now repeat the same procedure for another 3days.. Things begins to worst.
Some of them comb is decaying , some are not active, some as lost weight..
Someone told me what can feed I do give to them , I told him I do fed dem with top feed , but I do mix the feed with Eri Ogi ( a kind of maize meal extracted from maize wen processing pap ).
He told me to stop mixing it to the feed, so I stopped , that was 5days ago
Eva since then , no still improvement.
Pls guys I need you gurus to help me out bf Iose all my cockerel
Thanks
Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by Dimejimichael(m): 9:44am On Nov 12, 2017
Dimejimichael:
Good morning guys.
I have been battling with fowl pox for the pass 2weeks now, I bought a drugs to treat the fowl, I administer the drugs to my cockerel for 5 consecutively days, after the administration, there is no improve, I now repeat the same procedure for another 3days.. Things begins to worst.
Someone told me what can feed I do give to them , I told him I do fed dem with top feed , but I do mix the feed with Eri Ogi ( a kind of maize meal extracted from maize wen processing pap ).
Thanks

Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by jfkenny(m): 10:25am On Nov 12, 2017
I used vitacox plus wsp on my turkey..
Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by obstead200(m): 10:36am On Nov 12, 2017
Dimejimichael:
Good morning guys.
Thanks
solution is simple.
Vaccinate them for fowl pox. If u have done it before, just do it again. Stop all treatment. It will clear within 2 weeks
Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by obstead200(m): 10:39am On Nov 12, 2017
jfkenny:
I used vitacox plus wsp on my turkey..
that was not what cleared the pox. It simply ran its natural circle. The vitacox only managed opportunistic infections that came with the pox

1 Like

Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by jfkenny(m): 11:04am On Nov 12, 2017
obstead200:
that was not what cleared the pox. It simply ran its natural circle. The vitacox only managed opportunistic infections that came with the pox
Okay
Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by 2map(m): 1:51pm On Nov 12, 2017
EMMAACHILE:

What feed are you using?

I started with broiler starter, then changed to 'grower', it's what I'm using currently.

EMMAACHILE:

It is exactly these symptoms they have, gasping, foamy eyes, sneezing...

Someone suggested vaccination, is that equally okay?
Thank you for the response.
Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by Nobody: 2:48pm On Nov 12, 2017
2map:

I started with broiler starter, then changed to 'grower', it's what I'm using currently.

It is exactly these symptoms they have, gasping, foamy eyes, sneezing...

Someone suggested vaccination, is that equally okay?
Thank you for the response.
What vaccination? Treat it using the advice I gave or the one obstead200 offered.

Viracid
Bio GMP (mycoplasma)
Add any good multivitamin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 12, 2017
Using grower from which feed? I advice you go on finisher though depending on your target.
Which company feed are you using? I recommend the following feed
Chikun or Rico Gado grower since their grower is richer than some other company's finisher!

1 Like

Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by GenyEbere(f): 3:35pm On Nov 12, 2017
Dimejimichael:
Good morning guys.
Thanks
Get lime cut it open half for each bird,squeeze some drops into the mouth of the bird,scrap the pox with stick note the word scrap not cut then rub the lime juice repeat morning and night(but scraping is once) fr 3 days and watch it. If your flock is not large give all fresh lime juice(not in water but few drops in their mouth). I used it on my cockerel
Re: My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached by obstead200(m): 7:28pm On Nov 12, 2017
EMMAACHILE:

What vaccination? Treat it using the advice I gave or the one obstead200 offered.

Viracid
Bio GMP (mycoplasma)
Add any good multivitamin
I suggested re vaccination too

(1) (Reply)

#400 Pepper And #100 Tomatoe In My PPA (PIX) / Catfish Problems And Solutions / Please What Could Be Killing My Chickens?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.