Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,213 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:30 AM

Can You Give Me An Estimate? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Can You Give Me An Estimate? (779 Views)

Rough Estimate For Building A Chicken Farm / What's The Estimate For Fish Farming / Pig Pen Roofing Estimate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Give Me An Estimate? by abescom: 10:19am On Nov 14, 2017
Hi everyone. I need the help of your guys please. I just bought an acre of land somewhere call Omi Adio in between Ibadan and Abeokuta. Can you guys give me an estimation of how much I can expect to send to fence it round?

I want to do fish ponds and poultry on the said land.
Re: Can You Give Me An Estimate? by janefarms2015: 4:50pm On Nov 14, 2017
Is the area water logged? And whats the height of the proposed fence?
Re: Can You Give Me An Estimate? by abescom: 2:15pm On Nov 16, 2017
janefarms2015:
Is the area water logged? And whats the height of the proposed fence?
The area is water locked yes. I want the fence to be as high as possible to make it impossible for anyone to climb over it.

As a matter of fact, I will be fencing just 3 plots rather than the full acre.
Re: Can You Give Me An Estimate? by abescom: 6:13am On Dec 01, 2017
Been sick for a while and not really able to make findings for this, can people please provide estimates here?
Re: Can You Give Me An Estimate? by Nobody: 7:34am On Dec 01, 2017
Making estimation requires high proeficiency in arithemetic. It is why even bricklayers who are illiterates many times return and start scatching their heads, and chewing their teeth that they need more money, bal bla bla. And that they did not know the materials they bought will not be enough or durable for the job.

Quantity surveyors are trained to do this kind of task you are have asked, and if you want a professional advice, it is wise to consult one or a structure/civil engineer. But if you are smart enough, you can manage to do the estimation by yourself.

Since you mentioned that your land is water logged, how do you expect most people to tell you the amount you need to spend to make a good foundation for your fence? Maybe a professional builder can easily tell you that if you describe the condition of the place very well but I think most of them will want to check the land first. No one wants to direct you and then you return to start accusing him of directing you to build a weak fence which collapses after 10 days, and it almost killed a beautiful virgin lady, which led to people almost killed you after beaten you severely grin grin grin

In any case, you want to measure the circumference of the area. Circumference is the total distance round the area you want to fence. Get a measuring tape, or a very good GPS, or an android/iphone with GPS to measure the perimeter. It will give you the area of the section too, but for the job you want to do, you need to get the accurate perimeter. Please, using plots to describe your land is wrong when doing this job. Few of the dimensions referred to as a plot of land in Nigeria are: 100ft × 100ft, 50ft × 100ft, 60ft × 100ft, 120ft × 100ft etc. The perimeter of each of the listed so called one plot of land above are all different. So, stop saying you want to enclose 3 plots. Say something like i want to enclose 400ft circumference which is that of 100ft × 100ft.

Then after, measure the length and width of the cement block you want to use. With the dimension of that single block you can know the number of blocks you need to go round the area of land on one single level. You just need to divide the circumference by the length of the block. (Circumference ÷ length of one cement block) = Number of the blocks on a level. [ C ÷ L = X]. Note that you will not need up to that number since you need gaps to feel cements while building it. But it is ok to use this answer as the accepted figure.

The next step is to get the total number of blocks you need. So, choose your required height and use the height of that single block to get the height you require. If you cannot do this, just pack as many blocks as possible on one another. When you get to the desired height, stop and count the number of blocks. Now that number is the required level you need. Let us say the number is Y.

Usually you need additional one level for the foundation of your fence. So, it may be Y + 1. But I advice you to consult well before doing this.

Total blocks you require might look like: X (Y + 1).

Next step is to understand how strong you want the blocks grip to one another. So, you need to consult well to know the right (sand:cement) proportion. I cannot do that for you.

And most importantly, you must know the right foundation and materials needed for it. This is very very important. Please consult very well and just do not build a killer fence.

If you understand the process I have described, no bricklayer or surveyor can cheat you or confuse you. Except, the person decides to buy inferior materials which I suggest you buy yourself.

Simple arithemetic, consulting professionals, and making use of my common sense are what I do when I want to do this kind of job. And like the saying " he who asks for road path direction, cannot get lost."

If you do not understand the process I have given you, or it is so confusing, please, I beg you, just go and be the ATM of your bricklayer or surveyor. But please, make sure it is well built. Life has no duplicate.

TO USE GALVANISED NET AS FENCE
Just get the circumference in feet and meters. Tell the seller your required height and then the total length which is the circumference. He will give you the number of net bundles that will complete the job. Then, ask for an installer there and negotiate with him. You have just saved yourself serious headache. But remember, you still need to consult well for the right foundation you must do. Of course, galvanised net might not kill like a cemented fence when badly built.

Blessings.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Best Harris Potatoes For Sales! / PIG Pen For Rent At Oke Aro. 10 Mins Drive From Lagos / Top 10 Most Profitable Agribusiness In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.