Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,715 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job (9522 Views)

How Much Was Your First Salary And Which Year / 5 Habits That Will Increase Your Chances Of Landing A Job / 6 Simple Tips For A Great Job Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by magazineguy(m): 7:38am On Nov 15, 2017
This is one of the most tricky and most vulnerable positions for some because they want to get the best salary they can from their new recruiter and are careful not to get underpaid. If you are ignorant about the salary range expectation you will be doing yourself a disservice and your recruiter a favour if you accept a salary offer that is way below what you should have received.

Therefore, before you begin salary negotiations with your new recruiter, you need to find out how much the job is worth in comparison to other companies and how much the company pays employers on your level and position.

Here’s how to negotiate for a good pay:

Wait for an Offer

During the interview process don’t jump the gun and mention your salary expectation. It throws the employer off and it shows you off as someone who is after the money and not for the love of the job. Wait for when the recruiter/employers makes an offer.

Hold back long enough

The truth is that your recruiter/ employer to be doesn’t need your previous salary or current salary for this new role. There is already a stipulated salary range for someone of your qualification and expertise. So if asked, hold back by not saying your salary or your expectation but give a range with which they can work with. If they get persistent, tell them …” you will like to know more about the responsibilities and the challenges of the job prior to discussing salary”… then base a range not a figure surrounding that information.

Take Your Time

Don’t rush to accept an offer. The goal is to always sleep over an offer and make a decision. If the contract details doesn’t sit well with you, refuse it, not all jobs we get are meant for us. Sometimes, thinking over an offer can give you a better offer.

If the job offer is below your expectation say NO. It’s not by force. Refuse it. Most times you will get a call back on a salary revision. Don’t just say yes and swallow it.

Salary With Benefits

What are their benefits like? Are the benefits that follow the “take home pay” preferable for you. What is the pay after tax and other benefits that follow like bonuses, vacation.

Don’t Refuse a Job you need

Intuition is a winner all the time. Don’t refuse a job offer you have always wanted in an industry and company you admire. A lot of people have left better paying jobs to start off another job that paid less but was a CV booster to them and they went on to occupying better positions and earning more money. The goal is to look for a better position in than your previous place.

source; http://tushmagazine.com.ng/5-tips-negotiating-better-salary/

cc
lalasticala, mynd44, dominique

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by magazineguy(m): 7:39am On Nov 15, 2017
this is front page worthy lalasticala
Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by Johngla(m): 8:45am On Nov 15, 2017
A
Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by Nobody: 8:46am On Nov 15, 2017
Great thread

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 15, 2017
pls what happens in a situation where you get an offer with a bigger pay in a smaller coy than the one you are in . . .
Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by Holuwahyomzzy: 8:47am On Nov 15, 2017
cool
Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by BruncleZuma: 8:47am On Nov 15, 2017
grin grin grin grin

Free your mind from some types of opinions...what is good for the goose may kill the gander.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by knight05(m): 8:48am On Nov 15, 2017
lol
Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by Marcelinho(m): 8:48am On Nov 15, 2017
Excellent but like you know there is always an exception
Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by BlueRayDick: 8:50am On Nov 15, 2017
All these things are just theory. Not practicable except you are an expatriate/consultant being brought in to do a certain job.

I remember attending an interview not quite long and I was asked what am expecting as salary. Knowing fully well there is a salary range for my level, I told them they should apply the salary range for my grade, but the boss was just insistent that I name my price because he knows I must definitely have an expectation.
I later mentioned a little above my researched figure and he asked if I would consider anything lower.

You see Nigerian recruiters are just twisted, you can't just follow some 5 steps in negotiating with them.

11 Likes

Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by Secretgis: 8:50am On Nov 15, 2017
nicki minaj goes topless to launch shes got boobs [url=http://newzpotter..com.ng/2017/11/topless-nicki-minaj-clones-herself-to.html][/url]
Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by slapandfall(m): 8:52am On Nov 15, 2017
I don't think point 3 is for Entry level jobs or Graduate trainee jobs except na your papa company.

Good enough points though.
Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by iihtlagos: 8:55am On Nov 15, 2017
nice...

Once you have the right skills, I believe you can be bold to negotiate a high salary. Majority of our students have landed jobs with very high pay, and we are proud of them.!!

We at IIHT are passionate about young people and we don't want you to end the year the same way you started it (Without a skill), that is why we have opened up this Digital Marketing Class (With lots of vacancies attached to it)

It is cheap and also affordable. In compliance with IIHT's policies, we are having only 10slots available. Classes starts on the 25th of November.

Click Here To Learn More
Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by silasweb(m): 8:56am On Nov 15, 2017
Nice tips
Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by donqx: 9:00am On Nov 15, 2017
oh
Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by ruby360: 9:01am On Nov 15, 2017
Very good.
Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by Chivasex: 9:10am On Nov 15, 2017
BruncleZuma:
grin grin grin grin

Free your mind from useless copied opinions...what is good for the goose may kill the gander.

I do not think the opinion is useless but rather, there are different responses to different scenarios. There are interviews where they make you an offer immediately and you don't have the luxury of time to sleep over it, then it comes down to either you accept it or its past on to the next person.
So it is the ultimate decision of the interviewee to read the situation and respond accordingly.

1 Like

Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by henrylace(m): 9:19am On Nov 15, 2017
Nice cool
Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by Akexstinger(m): 9:30am On Nov 15, 2017
Stories! Don't go and shoot yourself oh! If you have experience and skills, just do a little research about their pay then add ur own and call a figure for them. No need for ranges. If u give them ranges, they will always take the least. And when you say the company has a structure or a system so you will go with their own pay, they can decide to pay you the smallest of their ranges in their system.
I recently got a job, but during the interview, i was asked of the salary and was beating about the bush like mouse until they finally forced me to name a figure which I stated. Only for these guys to call me to resume out of 15 guys that did the interview. Not only that, they changed my reporting station from the one that was closer to my area which I called the salary for to another location that was fking far from my place. Above all, they also indicated in the employment letter that I will be supervising 5 locations that were darn far apart. Though the pay was far higher than my previous place of work oh...Obob for wetin na! I took leave from my place of work and proceeded to the new place of work to test run..mehn! I was always waking up by 3:30am and leaving the house by 4am just to meet up with the resumption time of 7:30am. My guy, I did the job for 3 days nobody tell me say na death warrant be this, I just tendered my resignation letter asap. They called me back and I told them the workload/stress was too much and not measurable with the pay. They asked me what I wanted, I told them salary review and additional worker. Dem just add small thing, I no gree oh, I still resigned and went back to my previous place of work.
The bottomline of the story is, don't shoot yourself, everything is negotiating power with confidence and making them to realized the stern stuff u are made of.
I went for one interview like that, with all my trainings/certs/experience, I called what was obtainable as salary for the position in the company. Only that I added some amount to it. Immediately I mentioned that, the interviewer replied by saying " you mean with all these certs, experience and training/exposure, u called this amount, na na, u no try at all, they all shook their heads in disappointments" , they were like I under-priced myself, for that reason I was not taken. Na one guy wey go call better money dem pick jare. The thing is just know ur worth and that's all.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by anthonyuncle(m): 10:03am On Nov 15, 2017
when u go for a job interview & u see op (that is always writing about jobs on #land) also waiting to be interviewed

2 Likes

Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by OdaNobunaga(m): 12:16pm On Nov 15, 2017
Akexstinger:
Stories! Don't go and shoot yourself oh! If you have experience and skills, just do a little research about their pay then add ur own and call a figure for them. No need for ranges. If u give them ranges, they will always take the least. And when you say the company has a structure or a system so you will go with their own pay, they can decide to pay you the smallest of their ranges in their system.
I recently got a job, but during the interview, i was asked of the salary and was beating about the bush like mouse until they finally forced me to name a figure which I stated. Only for these guys to call me to resume out of 15 guys that did the interview. Not only that, they changed my reporting station from the one that was closer to my area which I called the salary for to another location that was fking far from my place. Above all, they also indicated in the employment letter that I will be supervising 5 locations that were darn far apart. Though the pay was far higher than my previous place of work oh...Obob for wetin na! I took leave from my place of work and proceeded to the new place of work to test run..mehn! I was always waking up by 3:30am and leaving the house by 4am just to meet up with the resumption time of 7:30am. My guy, I did the job for 3 days nobody tell me say na death warrant be this, I just tendered my resignation letter asap. They called me back and I told them the workload/stress was too much and not measurable with the pay. They asked me what I wanted, I told them salary review and additional worker. Dem just add small thing, I no gree oh, I still resigned and went back to my previous place of work.
The bottomline of the story is, don't shoot yourself, everything is negotiating power with confidence and making them to realized the stern stuff u are made of.
I went for one interview like that, with all my trainings/certs/experience, I called what was obtainable as salary for the position in the company. Only that I added some amount to it. Immediately I mentioned that, the interviewer replied by saying " you mean with all these certs, experience and training/exposure, u called this amount, na na, u no try at all, they all shook their heads in disappointments" , they were like I under-priced myself, for that reason I was not taken. Na one guy wey go call better money dem pick jare. The thing is just know ur worth and that's all.

Bro please what are the certs, experience and training/exposure you were referring to? Thanks.
Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by Akexstinger(m): 1:42pm On Nov 15, 2017
OdaNobunaga:

Bro please what are the certs, experience and training/exposure you were referring to? Thanks.

Your degree, international certification, in-house trainings done outside the country, and having the chance to have worked with one of the best coys in the world outside Nigeria for a short period, and then work experience in naija.
Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by OdaNobunaga(m): 9:31pm On Nov 15, 2017
Akexstinger:

Your degree, international certification, in-house trainings done outside the country, and having the chance to have worked with one of the best coys in the world outside Nigeria for a short period, and then work experience in naija.

You have gone very far, I was looking at something easily obtainable.
Re: 5 Tips To Negotiating A Better Salary And Landing A Great Job by Smartjob1(f): 2:31am On Nov 16, 2017
Great tips for the discerning minds.

Need a job? Easy HR solutions? Join the world's smartest job network www.bejite.com today. Find jobs easily, recruit smartly, connect to employers, businesss mentor and partners. Sign up and up your CV, profile. Grow and expand your career through your connections. Sign up is free!

(1) (Reply)

Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company (IKEDC) Young Engineers Program 2018 / Forum For Drilling Rig Jobs / Npower Successful Applicants In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.