Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,079 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:13 PM

Where Are The Java Programmers? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Where Are The Java Programmers? (5520 Views)

How Long Did It Take You Guys To Become Strong Java Programmers / Help Java Programmers: Need Help With A Java Assignment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by candylips(m): 4:21pm On May 06, 2010
gozzilla:

Absolute overkill. An IDE begins to make sense as you get to GUI building and particularly, my word particularly as you begin developing enterprise application. Its killing a fly with a missile.
Simple example consider the simple issue of package. Handled in a different way in an IDE, because IDEs make use of ant to build source code. and on and on

dude are u sure you know what you are saying here. IDE and Ant are two totally different things
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by gozzilla(m): 4:40pm On May 06, 2010
See question o,
Guess everybody hates ant. I know it is not an Ide or compiler blah blah blah. Just used it for illustration. Get it

Okay in the ant build file you actually say make this directory (referring to the package) after all a package is simply a folder. I know for you this example will not make sense but ask a beginner using Netbeans to explain the concept of package.
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by Michealeni: 7:24pm On May 14, 2010
pls people help me i just got admission to study computer science in a university pls i need some one to tell me wat to expect in my first year thanks.
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by innosoft: 10:49pm On Nov 25, 2012
i am a savvy java programmer, i dont mind helping.

naija_swag: I need a mentor as I started learning java newly.Although am beginning to grasp what it actually entails.I need an expert in the field to put me thru certain things.
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by naijaswag1: 12:13am On Nov 26, 2012
innosoft: i am a savvy java programmer, i dont mind helping.

This original post was dated 2010. Naija_swag is no more learning. In the world of Java he rules. He is been to codejam, facebook hackathon and a member of most algorithms site. He is now looking for big projects and money.
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by ektbear: 12:25am On Nov 26, 2012
I truly hate java and these c++ syntax-like languages.

But in hindsight, mastering and loving java would have been a good thing for me to do undecided

Oh well.
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by xterra2(m): 5:13pm On Nov 26, 2012
^^ Um why do you hate them ?
What language do you use instead?
I dont hate java, but Objective C i haaaate it, really such a crappy language
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by ektbear: 5:40pm On Nov 26, 2012
Just when you start using beautiful, functional programming language like Ruby with maps, nice iteration, lambda functions, and very easy to use data structures, it gets annoying to use something like Java where these things cannot be done very concisely sad

Even a simple anonymous function, I have to wrap it in a class first to use it in Java.
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by lordZOUGA(m): 6:21pm On Nov 26, 2012
ekt_bear: Just when you start using beautiful, functional programming language like Ruby with maps, nice iteration, lambda functions, and very easy to use data structures, it gets annoying to use something like Java where these things cannot be done very concisely sad

Even a simple anonymous function, I have to wrap it in a class first to use it in Java.
its the same with every language. The niceness you feel is all in your mind.
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by PrinceNN(m): 6:35pm On Nov 26, 2012
lordZOUGA:
its the same with every language. The niceness you feel is all in your mind.

lool true
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by ektbear: 6:50pm On Nov 26, 2012
Not really. Some languages really are just more concise than others. First class functions make a big difference. The map operator again makes a big difference in expressiveness.
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by Javanian: 6:56pm On Nov 26, 2012
One mans treasure another mans thrash...I hate all these scripting languages like python and ROR, how can some one read from an output stream, pass it to a string and split the string to an array in one line of code undecided undecided undecided ...its madness to me...i like languages which allow me express myself, learnt little of c++ once, very much like java just uglier syntax...but its a great language...it will certainly be my next language...
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by PrinceNN(m): 7:15pm On Nov 26, 2012
Javanian: One mans treasure another mans thrash...I hate all these scripting language, how can some one read from an output stream, pass it to a string and split the string to an array in one line of codeundecidedundecidedundecided ...its madness to me...i like languages which allow me express my self, learnt little of c++ once, very much like java just uglier syntax...but its a great language...it will certainly be my next language...

lool its basically the same thing....just the way you look at it...mind games
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by PrinceNN(m): 7:21pm On Nov 26, 2012
ekt_bear: Not really. Some languages really are just more concise than others. First class functions make a big difference. The map operator again makes a big difference in expressiveness.

yea that first class function does make a big difference
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by lordZOUGA(m): 7:37pm On Nov 26, 2012
Javanian: One mans treasure another mans thrash...I hate all these scripting languages like python and ROR, how can some one read from an output stream, pass it to a string and split the string to an array in one line of code undecided undecided undecided ...its madness to me...i like languages which allow me express myself, learnt little of c++ once, very much like java just uglier syntax...but its a great language...it will certainly be my next language...
thank you very much.. for me, expressiveness counts. most of python's syntax just doesn't make sense
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by lordZOUGA(m): 7:43pm On Nov 26, 2012
ekt_bear: Not really. Some languages really are just more concise than others. First class functions make a big difference. The map operator again makes a big difference in expressiveness.
show me. I do not know how a map operator looks like in ruby
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by ektbear: 1:19pm On Nov 27, 2012
lordZOUGA:
show me. I do not know how a map operator looks like in ruby

Here is a list comprehension in Python (python's version of the map operator).

import math
x = range(-9, 9)
y = [math.sin(t) for t in x]

Here is what the variables look like:
>>> x = range(-9, 9)
>>> y = [math.sin(t) for t in x]
>>> x
[-9, -8, -7, -6, -5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8]
>>> y
[-0.4121184852417566, -0.9893582466233818, -0.6569865987187891, 0.27941549819892586, 0.9589242746631385, 0.7568024953079282, -0.1411200080598672, -0.9092974268256817, -0.8414709848078965, 0.0, 0.8414709848078965, 0.9092974268256817, 0.1411200080598672, -0.7568024953079282, -0.9589242746631385, -0.27941549819892586, 0.6569865987187891, 0.9893582466233818]

And here I guess is the Java equivalent:

ArrayList<int> x = new ArrayList();
for (int i=-9; i<=8; i++)}
x.add(i);
}

ArrayList<int> y = new ArrayList();
for (int t : x){
y.add(Math.sin(t))
}

Isn't the Python version so much more clear and concise than the Java version?

Python version say, "Take this list x, apply this function sin() to each element of the list and give me back a new list."

Java version says the same thing, but in a more clunky manner.
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by lordZOUGA(m): 2:05pm On Nov 27, 2012
@ekt_bear, the python's syntax is smaller but the java code makes more sense to read.
-create an empty integer list x
-fill it with numbers
-create another int(float) list y
-fill it with sin of the numbers in list x
This also shows the amount of control or functionality a language like java can give you. Any language like java just has to be that complex to deliver.

1 Like

Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by Nobody: 2:35am On Aug 13, 2015
love java anyday anytime. Check out what i did in java which i latter compiled to windows exe format
@ http://www.4shared.com/file/Rp7waBjAce/OVO_Software.html

Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by Droidguy: 2:34pm On Oct 29, 2015
\Please show your code for the program... :-
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by Droidguy: 2:38pm On Oct 29, 2015
Please I have a problem of re-sizing a JLabel icon image, i.e. the IconImage is too big for the Panel created to contain it. Any help? undecided
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by orobogenius: 5:38pm On Oct 29, 2015
Droidguy:
Please I have a problem of re-sizing a JLabel icon image, i.e. the IconImage is too big for the Panel created to contain it. Any help? undecided

[b]

First the easy way.....

ImageIcon icon = new ImageIcon("imageName" );
Image img = icon.getImage();
Image newImg = img.getScaledInstance(400, 200, java.awt.Image.SCALE_SMOOTH);
newIcon = new ImageIcon(newImg);

However there are some issues with the getScaledInstace method one of which is

Image.getScaledInstance() does not return a finished, scaled image. It leaves much of the scaling work for a later time when the image pixels are used.

To overcome such problem you can override
getPreferredSize()
of JLabel and return the dimensions you want from the function however a JLabel will size itself to its content and you will just need to resize the picture (imageicon) you add to the JLabel.

To autosize the image in the JLabel you have to resize your image according to your desired width and height and then add it to the JLabel.

To resize the image, you will need to create a BufferedImage with the picture and the desired dimensions. Here are two examples of what you want:

1. Using a function to create and return the BufferedImage.

//the method takes an image, and its corresponding dimension as argument and returns a BufferedImage
public BufferedImage resizeImage(BufferedImage image, int width, int height) {
BufferedImage bi = new BufferedImage(width, height, BufferedImage.TRANSLUCENT);
Graphics2D g2d = (Graphics2D) bi.createGraphics();
g2d.addRenderingHints(new RenderingHints(RenderingHints.KEY_RENDERING, RenderingHints.VALUE_RENDER_QUALITY));
g2d.drawImage(image, 0, 0, width, height, null);
g2d.dispose();
return bi;
}

and then calling the function like so

BufferedImage image=ImageIO.read("imageName" );
BufferedImage resizedImage=resize(image,400,200);//resize the image to 400x200

2. Create a buffered image without a function

ImageIcon icon = new ImageIcon("imageName" );
//Make sure the reference you create is an ImageIcon reference. Then use getImage() to grab the image from the ImageIcon:
Image img = icon.getImage();
//Now create a buffered image the same size as the image:
BufferedImage bi = new BufferedImage(img.getWidth(null), img.getHeight(null), BufferedImage.TYPE_INT_ARGB);
Graphics g = bi.createGraphics();
g.drawImage(img, 0, 0, WIDTH, HEIGHT, null);
//create an image icon from the bufferedimage
IconImage newIcon = new IconImage(bi);

then go ahead to add the imageicon to the JLabel
[/b]
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jan 09, 2016
Droidguy:
\Please show your code for the program... :-

Source code is at
https://github.com/Ovoke/OVO-Multimedia
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by Nobody: 5:22am On Nov 13, 2020
ektbear:
Just when you start using beautiful, functional programming language like Ruby with maps, nice iteration, lambda functions, and very easy to use data structures, it gets annoying to use something like Java where these things cannot be done very concisely sad

Even a simple anonymous function, I have top wrap it in a class first to use it in Java.

Oh, Ektbear. Such a fantastic human being. I wish you well wherever you are.
Re: Where Are The Java Programmers? by edicied: 10:24am On Nov 15, 2020
Seun:
If you don't use an IDE with Java, then there is something wrong with you. That's all I'm going to say. Nobody uses Java without an IDE; the IDE is part of Java. Netbeans is preferred, because that's what Sun officially supports, but Eclipse is not too bad either. The IDE is part of Java. Thanks.
Lol, I use Vim for java development and nothing is wrong with me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should We Have "programmers' Conference" In Nigeria? / Scanning Images From Php / How Do I Change The Color Of A Grid In Bootstrap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.