Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Man Wrongfully Convicted Of Rape After Spending 45 Years And Ten Months Says "I - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Man Wrongfully Convicted Of Rape After Spending 45 Years And Ten Months Says "I (760 Views)

79-Year-Old Squid Game Actor, O Yeong-Su Convicted Of Sexual Harrasment / Meet Amar Bharati Who Has Raised His Hand For 45 Years (Pictures) / D’banj Accused Of Rape After Voicing Out Against Rape On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Wrongfully Convicted Of Rape After Spending 45 Years And Ten Months Says "I by hotest9ja(f): 7:31am On Nov 17, 2017
A 65-year-old Louisiana man who was wrongly jailed at the age 19 without parole walked out of prison on Wednesday, after his rape conviction was overturned by a judge. According to reports, Wilbert Jones was arrested on suspicion of abducting a nurse at gunpoint from a Baton
Rouge hospital's parking lot and raping her behind a building on the night of Oct. 2, 1971. 

The nurse, who died in 2008, picked Jones out of a police lineup more than three months after the rape. Jones was convicted of aggravated rape at a 1974 retrial and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.   On Wednesday, State District Judge Richard Anderson overturned his conviction saying authorities withheld evidence that could have exonerated Wilbert Jones decades ago and their case against him was “weak at best,”. “Freedom. After more than 45 years and ten months. That’s going through my mind,” Jones said as he hugged his brother, Plem Jones, and other relatives outside the gates of the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison.

Speaking to journalists, he said: "Most of my life was taken away from me for something I didn't do. I feel wonderful and I thank God for this opportunity," Jones said. "And I thank God for this legal team." According to him, he holds no resentment against the harsh sentence. Doing all that time was “very difficult. I forgave. I forgive,” Jones said. “I didn’t have control of it. Why should I worry about it? I’m in charge of myself.”   On his plans for the day, he told them he would be enjoying a long-awaited meal of gumbo and potato salad with his family.  His brother, Plem Jones, said he's always known this meal would come.

"I might have missed (only) one or two visits while he was there. We'd sit and talk and cry together," Plem Jones said. "I never gave up on him. I knew that he didn't do it, so it was only a matter of time. I just didn't know when.
"https://.com.ng/2017/11/man-wrongfully-convicted-of-rape-after.html?m=1

1 Share

Re: Man Wrongfully Convicted Of Rape After Spending 45 Years And Ten Months Says "I by fadasss: 7:46am On Nov 17, 2017
waoh
Re: Man Wrongfully Convicted Of Rape After Spending 45 Years And Ten Months Says "I by slyrone(m): 7:46am On Nov 17, 2017
rape is a heinous crime, but I have never someone convicted to life without parole for rape. its too damn much, thank God the truth prevailed at the end though but the larger chunk of his life has been robbed off him
Re: Man Wrongfully Convicted Of Rape After Spending 45 Years And Ten Months Says "I by mikool007(m): 8:00am On Nov 17, 2017
Hmm
Re: Man Wrongfully Convicted Of Rape After Spending 45 Years And Ten Months Says "I by dushman04: 9:42am On Nov 17, 2017
[quote author=hotest9ja post=62453039]   On Wednesday, State District Judge Richard Anderson overturned his conviction saying authorities withheld evidence that could have exonerated Wilbert Jones decades ago and their case against him was “weak at best,”.

Authorities That country is a scary country,imagine someone going to bed every day knowing he has evidence that can exonerate a wrongly accused man and still did nothing about it

1 Like

Re: Man Wrongfully Convicted Of Rape After Spending 45 Years And Ten Months Says "I by doyinisaac(m): 9:45am On Nov 17, 2017
slyrone:
rape is a heinous crime, but I have never someone convicted to life without parole for rape. its too damn much, thank God the truth prevailed at the end though but the larger chunk of his life has been robbed off him
Akoba adaba olorun ma je kari....meaning that GOD should not allow us be in a situation That is going to make us pay for a crime we never committed..
Re: Man Wrongfully Convicted Of Rape After Spending 45 Years And Ten Months Says "I by Woly: 10:21am On Nov 17, 2017
This one weak me... 45 wetin ... Hmmmmmm!!!

(1) (Reply)

Banky W And Teebillz Have Fallen Out (udoka Jane) / Meet The Facebooker Who Asked God To Kill Him If Man City Wins Man United / Kemi Olunloyo Speaks From Prison, Wants Freedom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.