Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,881 members, 7,810,378 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:57 AM

Help! My Family Barrister Is At It - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help! My Family Barrister Is At It (1024 Views)

There Is No Need For DNA Test, There Is Love In My Family - Woman Says (Video) / I Want To Get Married But My Family Is Insisting I Must Settle Everybody First / My New Wife Hates My Family Without Provocation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Family Barrister Is At It by joideviv(m): 6:57am On Nov 20, 2017
Good morning to y'all
Sorry I want to seek your legal advise for I have been having short sleeps for days now.
I lost my dad in 2015 leaving behind my siblings and my mum, he had an estate which is been looked after by a Barrister. Now, since my father's death the rent has not been coming in as usual, for the past 2 years now the rents are not always complete, when we complain the barrister would start defending the tenants- that things are hard this days. Right now, we hardly call him on phone and he pick the calls, sometimes he call back days later claiming that he's busy and giving excuses, I asked him to send me a comprehensive financial statement of the rents for the past 5 months since last week but till now I've not receive it.
Now we have resolved to change the barrister for another one who would be more responsive and respectful but the problem is....
What if he refuses to let go of the property, what steps do you think we could take?
Thanks as I await your humble and professional advice
Re: Help! My Family Barrister Is At It by iPrevail(m): 7:14am On Nov 20, 2017
Drag him to court. He's a fraud.
Re: Help! My Family Barrister Is At It by amunkita(m): 7:19am On Nov 20, 2017
Get the new lawyer, let him advise you on the steps to take..

Don't forget to take the new lawyer to ur tenants for introduction nd warning them not to deal with the former..

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Family Barrister Is At It by Richy4(m): 7:41am On Nov 20, 2017
OP are u asking Us If he wouldn't let go of the properties? On what grounds?
He Was not your dad's son. your dad did not mention that he must inherit part of the estate..So your fear is unfounded..

I just want you to know that he was there / paid to take care of your interest and your family well-being with the best of his ability. And if he is not measuring up to that expectations, you have to replace him.. it's not rocket science... Highest thing that he can do is to demand that you pay him all outstanding fee that u owe him before handing over all the necessary document.
Re: Help! My Family Barrister Is At It by duduade: 7:51am On Nov 20, 2017
iPrevail:
Drag him to court. He's a fraud.

Obviously... Humans are just unreliable!!!!
Re: Help! My Family Barrister Is At It by obicentlis: 8:15am On Nov 20, 2017
So many crooked lawyers. We had this experience after my dad's demise. We requested for the financial record, he falsified an agreement that we authorized him to take 20% of the rent per annum. We fought him and he soft pedal to the original agreement of 10% commission. Involve another honest and sincere lawyer to handle the job. He should collect receipts from the tenants to know their last payments and give you a report. From.there, you can take it up or leave him to karma.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Family Barrister Is At It by powerkey: 8:18am On Nov 20, 2017
@op you should call me let me advise you on steps to take....
lawyers are terrible people very cunning and greedy.....
Re: Help! My Family Barrister Is At It by joideviv(m): 8:43am On Nov 20, 2017
Richy4:
OP are u asking Us If he wouldn't let go of the properties? On what grounds?
He Was not your dad's son. your dad did not mention that he must inherit part of the estate..So your fear is unfounded..

I just want you to know that he was there / paid to take care of your interest and your family well-being with the best of his ability. And if he is not measuring up to that expectations, you have to replace him.. it's not rocket science... Highest thing that he can do is to demand that you pay him all outstanding fee that u owe him before handing over all the necessary document.
We don't even owe him any outstanding fee, in fact the tenants pay the money to his account and after withdrawing his percentage he would send the remainder to us.
Re: Help! My Family Barrister Is At It by joideviv(m): 9:01am On Nov 20, 2017
powerkey:

How can I call you?
Re: Help! My Family Barrister Is At It by Richy4(m): 9:25am On Nov 20, 2017
joideviv:

We don't even owe him any outstanding fee, in fact the tenants pay the money to his account and after withdrawing his percentage he would send the remainder to us.

So u don't have to be afraid. Contact the new lawyer. Have a heart to heart discussion with him /her with your family.. tell him the reason why the predecessor was removed..That u don't trust him any more .. tell him /her to write a letter informing the lawyer that he/ she is taking over.. that he should forward all necessary document that belongs to your family.. infact I need not go on and on.. he/she knows what to do..

And please in future Do not be afraid of someone u are paying for legal services ... for god's sakes it was not free... U have every right to say to any of them that you were through with them full stop.
Re: Help! My Family Barrister Is At It by ibkn(m): 10:06am On Nov 20, 2017
@ Op contact me.
Wait he was your dads lawyer, he owes you a duty to provide accounts annually, even if he is a SAN. He must also provide receipts of all rents collected
Re: Help! My Family Barrister Is At It by iamphill: 8:06pm On Nov 20, 2017
Good day people please if you know any lawyer or you are a lawyer versed in family law please do contact me we need your advice as regards some family issues as regards ownership and possession of a child due to the demise of the mother. Thank you. God bless.
Re: Help! My Family Barrister Is At It by joideviv(m): 9:36pm On Nov 20, 2017
Richy4:

So u don't have to be afraid. Contact the new lawyer. Have a heart to heart discussion with him /her with your family.. tell him the reason why the predecessor was removed..That u don't trust him any more .. tell him /her to write a letter informing the lawyer that he/ she is taking over.. that he should forward all necessary document that belongs to your family.. infact I need not go on and on.. he/she knows what to do..

And please in future Do not be afraid of someone u are paying for legal services ... for god's sakes it was not free... U have every right to say to any of them that you were through with them full stop.
Thanks a million for the advice
Re: Help! My Family Barrister Is At It by joideviv(m): 9:48pm On Nov 20, 2017
powerkey:

You can send me the mail through this ID: ikejioffor91@gmail.com, just updated my profile
Re: Help! My Family Barrister Is At It by powerkey: 10:09pm On Nov 20, 2017
joideviv:

You can send me the mail through this ID: ikejioffor91@gmail.com, just updated my profile

got your mail and I confirmed

(1) (Reply)

Mothers..at What Age Should You Stop Your Husband From Bathing Your Daughter(s) / Man Orders All His Properties To Be Buried With Him Leaving His Wife Alone / Husband Divorced Wife For Refusing Sex At Her Work Place

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.