Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,072 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

How Do You Handle Angry Customers? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Do You Handle Angry Customers? (7838 Views)

Zenith Bank Staff Climb Fence To Escape Angry Customers / Bank Staff Escape Angry Customers By Using The Back Fence To Exit Bank / VID: Angry Customers Storm Nigerian Bank As Huge Sums Go Missing From Their Acc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by Nobody: 12:55am On Nov 21, 2017
Hello NL,

Please I need your advice. My name is Bob, I own (and work in) a Grocery store where I'm privileged to see and meet different kinds of people on daily basis. Both classic and classless, young and old, fresh and gowdy, overbearing and sentimental... Name it.

Sometimes, we see customers who are always bent on frustrating our lives, ranging from..buying stuffs and threatening to return the goods demanding for a cash refund after the goods might have stayed with them for some couple of days to buying and refusing to pay.

There's this woman, (not really a regular customer) who called and ordered for a full bag of Rice. After we had arranged and supplied the rice, she was supposed to make a mobile transfer to our account, she informed us that she had a minor issue with her mobile App which she was supposed to get fixed before making the transfer.

Being an old cash paying customer, we agreed to part away with the rice pending when she settle the matter with her bank, she would make the transfer, meanwhile she had already have our account number cos she used to buy stuff from us before.

One week slipped by, no response! Two weeks gone, I didn't hear from her. Then I became worried and put three successive calls through immediately after the fifteenth day of the supply to know why she hadn't make the transfer, she didn't pick my calls. I allowed her, hoping that she may call back when she sees my missed calls. As she was the busy type. But she never called.

I became perplexed. Being concerned for her safety as this was unusual. Alas! She was fine, hale and hearty.

The following day, I called again and she didn't pick. Then I subsequently sent a text message informing her that her debt has been marked as an overdue, (After I had enquired for her work, family and life) that she should kindly make the transfer to my account details that was attached below the text message.

Then she replied me almost immediately, telling me to stop bombarding her with unnecessary calls and to stop sending her silly texts, then I should learn how to be courteous when writing to my customers.

Yeeyyy!..... Courteous?, Silly?, Bombarding?, what have those words got to do with my simple, honest and innocent text message?

Well, having been in this business for long, I have been accustomed to handling antagonism with diplomacy. So immediately as I received her response, I quickly sent her another text message apologizing for "not being courteous on my text" as she put it. But here, I tried to read in between the lines to see where I got it all wrong but I didn't come to term with anything tangible...

To cut the long story short, from that moment I received her text, I chose not to call her again until whenever she made up her mind to pay.

Two weeks after, that was barely a month after the supply, I got a call from her. At first, she asked me why I don't want to give her a breathing space simply because she bought a common bag of rice from us? I was almost getting pissed, but I tried as much as I can and remained very calm but right inside me, I was deeply infuriated that I almost yelled at her.

I apologized again and assured her it won't happen again.( I have already made up my mind not to supply any other thing to her house without making payment upfront)Then she went further and dropped off the missile which was exactly what informed this post...

She said she's no longer buying the rice, that we should come carry it, owing to the fact that the rice is rebagged, half-full and substandard... All these she never noticed until after one full blown month. Jesu! And beside, the Rice I delivered to her house was an original Thailand Rice that's filled to the brim.

I simply said OK and hung the call, promised to call back to(morrow)day.

The question is...

How do you handle overbearing customers and what would you have done if you are in my shoes??

Sombody help!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by Nobody: 1:11am On Nov 21, 2017
Stay wicked

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by dingbang(m): 1:24am On Nov 21, 2017
Common bag of rice? Wtf!!!

E be like say she never sleep for Sars office

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by Nobody: 1:47am On Nov 21, 2017
dingbang:
Common bag of rice? Wtf!!!

E be like say she never sleep for Sars office

Yes! Common bag of rice. Those are the things we see when we are trying to please our customers. Some will appreciate it while some will be bent on frustrating our businesses.

Kindly help a brother. Your useful advice will go along way.

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by uboma(m): 2:03am On Nov 21, 2017
Bobugee:
Hello NL,

Please I need your advice. I own and work in a Grocery store where I'm privileged to see and meet different kinds of people on daily basis. Both classic and classless, young and old, fresh and gowdy, overbearing and sentimental... Name it.

Sometimes, we meet customers who are always bent on frustrating our lives, ranging from..buying stuffs and threatening to return the goods demanding for a cash refund after the goods might have stayed with them for some couple of days.

There was this woman, (not really a regular customer) who called and ordered for a full bag of rice. After we have arranged and supplied the rice, she was supposed to make a mobile transfer to our account, she informed us that she had a minor issue she was supposed to get fixed with her bank before making the transaction.

Being an old cash paying customer, we agreed to part away with the rice pending when she settle the matter with her bank, she would make the transfer, meanwhile she had already have our account number cos she used to buy stuff from us before.

One week gradually slipped by, no response! Two weeks gone, I didn't hear from her. Then I became worried and I put three successive calls through immediately after the fifteenth day of the supply to know why she hasn't make the transfer, she didn't pick my call. I allowed her, hoping that she may call back when she sees my missed calls. As she was the busy type. But she never called.

I became worried. Been concerned for her safety. Alas! She was fine, hale and hearty.

The following day, I called again and she didn't pick. Then I subsequently sent a text message informing her that her debt has been marked as an overdue, she should kindly make the transfer to my account details attached below the text message.

Then she replied me almost immediately telling me to stop bombardeding her with unnecessary calls and to stop sending her silly texts and I should learn how to be courteous to my customers.

Yeeyyy!..... Courteous?, Silly?, Bombardeding?, what does those words has to do with my simple, honest and innocent text message?

Well, having been in this business long, I have been accustomed to handling antagonism with diplomacy. So immediately as I got her reply, I quickly sent her another text message apologizing for "not being courteous on my text" as she put it. But here, I tried to read in between the lines to see where I got it all wrong but I didn't come to term with ...

To cut the long story short, from that moment I received her text, I chose not to call her again until whenever she made up her mind to pay. Two weeks after, that was barely a month after the supply, I got a call from her. At first, she asked me why I don't want to give her a breathing space simply because she bought a bag of rice from us? I was almost getting pissed, but I tried as much as I can and remained very calm but right inside me, I was deeply infuriated that I almost yelled at her.

I apologized again and assured her it won't happen again.( I have already made up my mind not to supply any other thing to her house without making payment upfront)Then she went further and dropped off the missile which was exactly what informed this post...

She said she's no longer buying the rice, that we should come carry it, owing to the fact that the rice is rebagged, half full and substandard... All these she never noticed until after one full blown month. Beside, the rice is original Thailand rice that's filled to the brim.

I simply said OK and hung the call, promised to call back to(morrow)day.

How do you handle overbearing customers and what would you have done if you are in my shoes??

First, I need more clarification please.

You pointed out that the bag of rice was filled to the brim. I am aware that no bag of rice is filled to the brim except of course it was repacked. Is this the case with the bag of rice in question?

As it is, the mistake has been done by you. Never sell your provisions on credit. Get a POS machine to encourage customers who have no cash to pay with their debit cards. This rules out the issue of buying on credit.

I must commend you for the way you handled the situation with this particular customer though. You played along with her. If you had done otherwise, she would have probably created a negative scene and this isn't good for businesses.

Go retrieve your bag of rice. Accept it as a loss.

14 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by Nobody: 2:15am On Nov 21, 2017
uboma:

You pointed out that the bag of rice was filled to the brim. I am aware that no bag of rice is filled to the brim except of course it was repacked. Is this the case with the bag of rice in question?

As it is, the mistake has been done by you. Never sell your provisions on credit. Get a POS machine to encourage customers who have no cash to pay with their debit cards. This rules out the issue of buying on credit.

I must commend you for the way you handled the situation with this particular customer though. You played along with her. If you had done otherwise, she would have probably created a negative scene and this isn't good for businesses.

When I said that it was filled to the brim, I mean it was a complete 50kg bag of rice..Yeah.

I didn't know she'd never wanted to make payment from the outset. She used it to trick us into leaving the Rice with her. We have POS machines, accept Mcash and equally accept mobile transfers.

Thanks man. I will.
Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by Nobody: 9:14am On Nov 21, 2017
Lalasticlala, please help a brother.
Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by nairaman66(m): 11:50am On Nov 21, 2017
Hmnn
Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by ShitHead(m): 11:50am On Nov 21, 2017
We settle with fight. It works.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by olumaxi(m): 11:51am On Nov 21, 2017
No tym for long stories....even i don't stay long in church
Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by Nobody: 11:51am On Nov 21, 2017
The customer is king
Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by Nobody: 11:52am On Nov 21, 2017
Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by Nickymichy(m): 11:52am On Nov 21, 2017
Send dem away
Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by miqos02(m): 11:57am On Nov 21, 2017
hmmm
Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Nov 21, 2017
Honestly it's frustrating. Me don hail for grocery store. Thinking of branching into full scale sale of igbo. Talk say you no go pay...

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Nov 21, 2017
uboma:

Exactly my thoughts. its a bad debt, go claim ur rice and repack it in smaller bits to gain little change on it...

1 Like

Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by chukzyfcbb: 12:02pm On Nov 21, 2017
its stories like this that makes me rule out
No credit during sales. wholesale/retail whatever.

Customers take sellers for granted when the ball swing in their area. They begin to toss u around, but they forget how they came crawling on their knees just to have the product sold on credit.

#Team No credit during sales

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by Opistorincos(m): 12:03pm On Nov 21, 2017
Just smile and allow them rant till they are tired and realise they are stupid for not opting to settle whatever it is amicably
Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by theunnamed: 12:04pm On Nov 21, 2017
In my experience standing in front of them and just starring with a blank and nonchalant expression seems to make them slow down
Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by basic23111: 12:05pm On Nov 21, 2017
in business, both customer and criminal will try u...then u treat them accordingly when u identify them, its not good for ur business when treat a criminal like a customer

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by sirjentul05(m): 12:06pm On Nov 21, 2017
If it was a lady, I will slap her breast and smile, then if she responds, I will finger her and both of us will live happily ever after
Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by theunnamed: 12:07pm On Nov 21, 2017
sirjentul05:
If it was a lady, I will slap her breast and smile, then if she responds, I will finger her and both of us will live happily ever after

Those yaba nurses sef angry

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by DWJOBScom(m): 12:09pm On Nov 21, 2017
Just don't say am sorry about it ma or sir

or I understand how you feel...cos you don't especially they have a certain expectation.

Just assure him that the reason for the challenge will be taken care of immediately. Do the ones within your power as a little victory will calm the customer down then quietly explain why the one that couldn't be done can't be accomplished(this you will have to do with tact in-order not to get yourself into trouble as some customers are something else these days).

Don't worry you will be good
Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 12:11pm On Nov 21, 2017
Bobugee:

Yes! Common bag of rice. Those are the things we see when we are trying to please our customers. Some will appreciate it while some will be bent on frustrating our businesses.

Kindly help a brother. Your useful advice will go along way.

Thanks in advance.
I have a business,I no dey use ear hear I would pay later, I don't sell on credit no matter what,when it comes to money,human being show their true colour.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by queenfav(f): 12:11pm On Nov 21, 2017
It can be tough, but i try to remedy whatever the issue may be to the best of my ability. A business person must be patient sha, you will meet all sorts. Some clients will abuse your generation, some can never be pleased no matter what!You have learnt, never sell on credit.My clients know me well, that credit is not in my dictionary. If you don't want have enough money, i can reserve it for you after making a deposit. Just collect ur rice and move on! Most clients are just sent to bring out the worst in you, while some want to just test you and see how far you would go before breaking! When i try to be diplomatic, e no dey work at times.. Na bluntness and warri madness some dey understand fast!

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by gen2lpat(m): 12:12pm On Nov 21, 2017
I dont see anything wrong in how you handled the whole situation. I must say you did excellent with that.

There is no better way to handle customers like her. The one sure way is to give them a chance to introduce their real self and shut your door of kindness to them.

Go retrieve your rice and even say thank you. Let her comman buy credit again. Anuofia!

Some women eeehhh.... Na person wife fit be that oooo. Damn!

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by Jerrick(m): 12:12pm On Nov 21, 2017
SnakeXenzia:
Stay wicked
funny� lipsrsealed undecided
Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by pocohantas(f): 12:12pm On Nov 21, 2017
You handled her right.
I must commend your patience. You should also know some customers carry around problems that's bigger than your customer service etiquette. You can never please them, this woman falls in that category...

Go collect your bag of rice.
It's experiences that makes businesses adopt stiffer policies.
This is your own experience. Customer is always king, but your business wouldn't be the commoner, protect your business against future occurrences.

8 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by joenor(m): 12:14pm On Nov 21, 2017
Thank God sha.. I nor dey work for that Grocery shop I for dey fight everyday... Lord! if what you said was what actually happen... Then that woman that took her bath with New improve Power Soap for hear word from me.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Handle Angry Customers? by lelvin(m): 12:18pm On Nov 21, 2017
You don't do anything, just smile because you need the money.

(1) (2) (Reply)

MTN Plans $500 Million Share Sale In Nigeria / Money Transfer From Nigeria To India. What's The Easiest Way? / 8 Reasons The eNaira Could Fail In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.