Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,262 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:57 AM

39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago (9253 Views)

I Ran Into My Classmate After 10 Years And She Did This / Melissa Giebel & Anejodo Paul: Boy I Picked From 18 Years Ago Now Medical Doctor / Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by AjalaJ(m): 3:57am On Nov 22, 2017
About two years ago I started a list called “Things I wish I had known earlier” in my journal.

I initially came up with 25 lessons about life, career, love, and relationships. Things I’ve learned from mentors, books, friends, readers, etc.
I created the list for myself because I realized that I forgot important lessons at the same rate I learned new lessons.

And when I shared the list on my blog for the first time, a lot of people thought it was useful. Two years later, I still read the list a few times a year. Plus, I added new lessons I’ve learned recently.

Here’s the latest edition. I hope you find it useful.

1. Struggle Is Good
Never say “I can’t take it anymore.” Say “Bring it on!”

2. Don’t Complain
Complaining is the biggest waste of time there is. Either do something about it, and if you can’t, shut up about it.

3. Always Strive For Something
When you wake up in the morning, think about what you’re trying to achieve. Humans need a vision to wake up every morning. After you picture your vision, go after it. Every day.

4. Spend Time With People You Love
That’s your family and best friends. If you don’t have a family, create one. Most people in life are only visitors. Family is for life.

5. Don’t Start A Relationship If You’re Not In Love
I’ve done this more than once. You kind of like someone and think: “We might as well give it a shot.” Not a good idea. You’re either in love, or you are not. Don’t fool yourself. It’s not fair to you and the other person.

6. Exercise Daily
A healthy body is where you have to start everything in life. If you can’t build a healthy and strong body, what can you build in life?

7. Keep A Journal
No, keeping a journal is not for children. It helps you to become a better thinker and writer. “I don’t want to be a writer” you might think. Well, how many emails and texts do you send a day? Everybody is a writer.

8. Be Grateful
Say ‘thank you’ to everyone and everything. “Thank you for this beautiful day.” “Thank you for your email.” “Thank you for being there for me.”

9. Don’t Care About What People Think
We all die in the end, do you really think it matters what people think of you?

10. Take More Risks
Don’t be such a wimp. Seriously.

11. Pick An Industry, Not A Job
If you want to become good at something, you need to spend years and years doing that. You can’t do that if you hop from industry to industry. Pick an industry you love and start at the bottom. You will find the perfect role for you eventually.

12. Lead The Way
When you find yourself in a situation where everyone looks at each other, it’s time for you to lead. You‘re a leader when you decide to become one. There’s no initiation or a title. Just a decision.

13. Things Are Not What They Seem
If something sounds too good to be true, it is. A little skepticism never hurts.

14. Money Is Not The Most Important Thing
You have to train yourself not to care about money and focus on providing value instead. Also, don’t become too dependent on the stuff you own — otherwise, the stuff will own you.

15. Be Nice
I don’t mean you should be a pushover. You can be someone that doesn’t take shit and be nice about it. Just don’t insult people, think you’re better than them, or act like an idiot.

16. Strain Yourself
Take on challenging things in your life. No strain no gain.

17. Get Comfortable With Being Uncomfortable
Life, work, relationships, challenges. It’s all uncomfortable. So get comfortable with that.

18. Learn Every Day
You’ve got to train your brain to stay alert. You don’t have to read a book a day to learn every day. Learn from your mistakes. Learn from the people around you — be open to what they can teach you.

19. Rest Before You Are Tired
Even if you love your job, and every day seems like a holiday, you need to take time to rest. You’re a human and not an android, never forget that.

20. Don’t Judge
Just because people make different choices than you, they are not stupid. Also, you don’t know everything about people, so don’t judge them — help them.

21. Value Yourself
“Who am I to say something?” Well, you’re a human being who wakes up every morning and contributes something to this world. You have the right to say and do anything you want. Recognize that.

22. Have Patience
Rome wasn’t built in a day, right? But that’s too obvious. Rome also wasn’t built in a year, or even two years, or even five years. Some things take decades to make happen. How’s that for your perspective?

23. Think About Others
Just be mindful, that’s all. We all have families, bills to pay, and our own issues. Don’t always make everything about yourself.

24. Give Without Expecting Something In Return
Don’t keep score. You will become a bitter person if you do that. Give solely for the joy of giving. If you get something in return, great, if you don’t, great.

25. There’s No End Game
We, as a species, just are. Don’t try to figure it all out. Enjoy your journey.

26. Enjoy Small Things
I like clichés because they are true. Especially this one. You know why? Everyone says they know it, but no one lives up to it. They just chase big things.

27. Don’t Take Yourself Seriously
Yeah, yeah, you’re an individual, and people have to take you seriously, I get it. But at the end of the day, we’re all a bunch of ants trying to chase the same things. Lighten up.

28. Take On More Responsibilities
Sounds paradoxical (like many things in life), but believe me on this one. The more responsibilities you have, the more purpose you have in life. Just don’t get overwhelmed. You’re not that important.

29. Don’t Blame People
What’s the point? Do you want to punish them? You don’t do that to people. Also, don’t blame yourself — you’re only human.

30. Never Look Back Too Long
Reflecting on the past is only good for one thing: Learning.

31. It’s Okay To Be Sad
Life’s not always great. We all know that. But why do we pretend we’re okay while we’re not? Because we’re too proud. If you’re not doing well, admit it. Now, you can work on getting better.

32. Avoid Negative Situations And People
You can’t underestimate the impact others have on you. Get away from negativity at all cost.

33. Invest In Yourself
Skills are worth more than a good job, career, money, and even a reputation.Why? The world always needs people who can do something well. Be that person.

34. Rely On Yourself
Because it’s the best feeling in the world to know you can figure things out by yourself. But don’t overdo it. Ask for help when you need it.

35. Don’t Listen To “No”
The best things in life only happened after people heard “no.” Did they quit? No.

36. Buy A House
A lot of wealthy people say they never buy a property to live in it because it’s not an investment. They’re right. But a lot of people still don’t care because they like to own the house they live in. I agree. And if you move on, rent it out. It’s an investment.

37. Hold Yourself To A High Standard
When you do something, do it well or not at all. Always strive for outperforming yourself.

38. Create Something
Not to leave a legacy, you won’t be here to see it anyway, but to be of use. Make music, write a book, build a table, anything. You’ll feel good about yourself, plus you give something back to people to use or enjoy.

39. Take Action
Don’t just sit there, do something. Without action, there is no outcome.

You might know a lot. But just like Socrates, who believed he knew nothing, you and I also know nothing at all.
So we have to keep learning.

Source: https://medium.com/@dariusforoux/39-things-about-life-i-wish-i-had-known-10-years-ago-152e383d0712

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller: www..com.ng

52 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by yanabasee(m): 4:06am On Nov 22, 2017
Good!!! had to put some things down!!!

3 Likes

Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by Donald3d(m): 5:14am On Nov 22, 2017
cool
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by DonALdep(m): 5:22am On Nov 22, 2017
Great piece op.

1 Like

Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by chidiebere2020(m): 5:34am On Nov 22, 2017
Wonderful
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by gabinogem(m): 6:25am On Nov 22, 2017
Food for thought cool
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by Olachase(m): 6:32am On Nov 22, 2017
M
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by Adebowhales(m): 7:01am On Nov 22, 2017
God bless you and your family

1 Like

Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by Nobody: 7:06am On Nov 22, 2017
40. Don't waste your time on Nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by Xerox01(m): 7:14am On Nov 22, 2017
I love this
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by NLbully(m): 7:14am On Nov 22, 2017
40: life na toxical sugar tongue
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by mikool007(m): 7:16am On Nov 22, 2017
OrestesDante:
You've already spent 1 month 6 days on nl and you only joined this year.
41. Take your own advice

21 Likes

Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by femi4: 7:28am On Nov 22, 2017
42. Don't force people to like you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by belloabd1914(m): 7:46am On Nov 22, 2017
School of hard knocks, "life"

1 Like

Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 22, 2017
mikool007:
41. Take your own advice

grin

42. Get the message and ignore the messenger.

5 Likes

Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by generalbush(m): 7:56am On Nov 22, 2017
Great
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by Nobody: 7:57am On Nov 22, 2017
OrestesDante:

mikool007:
41. Take your own advice

I felt it in my chest

12 Likes

Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by warmachine(m): 8:25am On Nov 22, 2017
Rwubeesh
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by snowwhyte607: 8:33am On Nov 22, 2017
Nice
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by optm(m): 8:38am On Nov 22, 2017
this is beautiful. nice one op
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by rukz: 9:02am On Nov 22, 2017
Booked
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by Oyindalb: 9:23am On Nov 22, 2017
Good piece.

on another hand, I am looking an experienced nail technician and a henna tatooist for a luxurious hair salon in Yaba. The nail technician must have at least 1 year work experience. We are an established hair salon with a huge customer base and a beautiful work environment. The pay is also very attractive and there are other staff benefits. If you are qualified for any of these roles, please put your first name and phone number in the comments below.
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by BizLifeE: 10:29am On Nov 22, 2017
Some of the points here are blatant truths that most people find difficult accepting.
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by dreamworld: 10:50am On Nov 22, 2017
Funk that puccy when u have the chance, because u might not have the opportunity to hit it again
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by DonnyE(m): 10:57am On Nov 22, 2017
One should save such for weekly consumption..a constant reminder of these good stuff will go along way in making you a better person
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by teekay213(m): 11:36am On Nov 22, 2017
cry
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by spy24(m): 11:51am On Nov 22, 2017
Great write up
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by tegamarro(m): 11:55am On Nov 22, 2017
Very Educative Front page please Op nice 1
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by mekcheun(m): 12:08pm On Nov 22, 2017
sense
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by Salex007(m): 1:08pm On Nov 22, 2017
page saved... 9ice write up
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 22, 2017
Re: 39 Things About Life I Wish I Had Known 10 Years Ago by JamesonJay(m): 9:33pm On Nov 22, 2017
This is good.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Science Students Believe That Art And Commercial Are Dumbs. / A Yabatech Student? / Checkout Top 10 Most Expensive Secondary Schools In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.