Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:22 PM

My Table Talk Experience With ‘A Megalomaniac Friend’ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Table Talk Experience With ‘A Megalomaniac Friend’ (333 Views)

The Meaning Of I Will Prepare A table Before You In The Presence Of Your Enemies / Church Gives N1M To Man Who Sleeps On Meat Seller's Table In Abuja / Apostle Suleman & Wife, Lizzy, Playing Football & Table Tennis (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Table Talk Experience With ‘A Megalomaniac Friend’ by ken2015: 1:00pm On Nov 23, 2017
My Table Talk Experience With ‘A Megalomaniac Friend’
“Lord,” said Thomas, “we do not know where You are going, so how can we know the way?” Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you had known Me, you would know My Father as well. From now on you do know Him and have seen Him.”… John 14:6
Sometime not quite long, I got engaged in a discussion with this gentleman, a fine and well decorated “Church man” whose claim of possessing numerous academic laurels, intellectual power and sound sapience in varied disciplines almost got me boxed into a corner. While our discussion lasted, he would literally cut up every topic brought to the table; and this he did with this quire look in his eyes that reads, “forget it champ! I am way beyond your level.” He would often boast about his rich experience garnered through his many travels to many countries of the world. Methinks he's even become nomadic, kinda.
“All religions lead to God; and you are in good standing with him if you live well and practice virtues. Your religion does not matter but the way you live. People can connect to God and consequently make heaven through Buddhism, Shintoi, Hinduism, (ATR) African traditional religion, just name it.” It doesn't matter what religion you practice. Christianity is just one of the organized religions of the world…” This was the wisdom of my itinerant 'table friend.' The words hit me like a thunderbolt that I actually didn't know when I literally pulled a question at him.
“What's your major, please?” He quickly shot the answer back at me, “Religion of course.” His voice at this point sunk so deep as though he wore a lace over his neck. “It's like my second nature. I've done a lot of research on it. That's the reason am always in the air flying all over the world. We are the Church!” He spitefully chipped in. At this point, I couldn't believe my ears anymore. The both tingled seriously with every vomit he made. I felt as though one trapped in a malaria-induced dream. But I wasn't. In a bid to make sure I got his rhetoric right, I asked very calmly, “Yeahhh…the Church… I believe that includes us, right?” “But you are not a clergy” he retorted. Bewildered by this statement that shows gross ignorance of what the word Church truly means, I calmly asked again, “Could you throw more light on that, please?”
“But, as a Brother you ought to know where you belong in the house. I mean…I need not to lecture you on this. Of course, this is something they should have taught you from the first day of your formation. I guess you know you are not a clergy?” My amazement grew more this time. Hitherto I had never discussed with such a megalomaniac before. Slowly but cautiously I gave him a reply:
''You are somewhat right. But I was taught that every baptized child of God shares in the priesthood and kingship of our brother and Savior, Jesus Christ; and that's far more important than the clergy role. I was taught that being a member of the Body is fundamental and precedes whatever role one is playing in the Body. I was taught that your certificate to eternal bliss with God in heaven is not your clergy role and title but your realistic faith in the Son of God, which reveals itself in the way you live your Christian life. I was taught that one could be a clergy and still miss heaven but one cannot be a true Christian and miss eternity with God.”
“I was taught that the term 'Church' embraces the entire people of God—all those redeemed by the blood of the Lamb—and does not in any way mean a hierarchical structure capturing but a few in the Body.”
“I was taught that every religion claims exclusivity, as each religion makes different truth claims on a number of basic issues. This, hence, doesn't suggest unification pointing towards the one path. I was taught that Buddhism had existed for quite a long time before the advent of Jesus Christ into the world. And not being ignorant of that fact, Jesus went on to make the most daring and emphatic statement regarding the lone Way to God: “Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” John 14:6. This literally means you can't get any other Way leading to God outside Christ; and only Christ among all religious leaders dared to make such a claim.”
“I was taught that it takes one with a childlike disposition to uncover the mysteries of the kingdom of God. Very often these mysteries are not given to the learned even in all their learning.”
“I was taught that flying all over the world in search of the truth or enrolling in the ivy universities of the world in search of knowledge does not dispose one to the Wisdom of God; rather God gives it to the humble of heart. I was taught that one could be preaching Christ from the most decorated pulpit and with such eloquence as mesmerizing as it is electrifying, yet he doesn't know Christ for himself. I was taught that education without Christ is the true definition of idiocy. I was taught that you need Christ to know God; you need the Holy Spirit to know Christ but you need silent introspection to know your true self. I was taught that character is assassinated when learning seeks to work in isolation of truth and common sense.” God bless you!
By Kenneth Chigozie Alamezie, BSS (Rev. Br.)

(1) (Reply)

A Thousand Years Like A Day! / Can Man Be Moral Without Jesus? / Daddy Freeze Is A Prophet!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.