Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,196 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

Yakubu Aiyegbeni: Unforgettable And Unforgivable. See His Wonderful Achievements - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Yakubu Aiyegbeni: Unforgettable And Unforgivable. See His Wonderful Achievements (573 Views)

I Still Get Attacked By People - Yakubu Aiyegbeni Reveals / Yakubu Aiyegbeni Celebrates His 39th Birthday Today / Yakubu Aiyegbeni: 'Gernot Rohr Is The Worst Coach In Nigeria History' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Yakubu Aiyegbeni: Unforgettable And Unforgivable. See His Wonderful Achievements by magazineguy(m): 2:35pm On Nov 24, 2017
After gracing the green and white stripes of the Nigerian national team colours, Yakubu has decided to call it a day, ending his professional status as a footballer. While he enjoyed the goal records abroad, especially in the Barclays Premier League (now known as English Premier League), there were some milestones he achieved in the Super Eagles colours; he recorded 21 goals in 57 appearances for the Super Eagles of Nigeria, ranking him the 3rd best all-time goalscorer ever in the history of the senior team.

Yakubu was the first African to hit hat-trick in the UEFA Champions league while playing for Maccabi Haifa (He was only 19 at that time). He is also the Nigerian with the highest and 3rd African goalscorer in the Premier league (95 goals). In his career, he scored 4 hat-tricks in the Premier League.

Yakubu was very adventurous as a footballer and this mark saw him play for 14 teams in 5 different countries in his professional career. I personally remember him playing in white and blue colours of Portsmouth. Looking at the records, it is of worth to know that Yakubu has more premier league goals than Fernando Torres, Luis Suarez, Dennis Bergkamp, Carlos Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Yakubu would then go on to face shame and hate after missing an opportunity from 3 metres against South Korea in the 2010 FIFA World Cup in which fellow Africans, South Africa hosted. A goal which would have seen us make it out of group stage. He later went on to score a penalty in the same game but it was not enough for his redemption and Super Eagles qualification.

The 35-year old big forward announced his retirement on his birthday, a significant day in his life. Big Yak would hope he is remembered for his prolific goal-scoring ability and not for his woes in the latter stage of his career.

source; http://tushmagazine.com.ng/yakubu-unforgettable-unforgivable/

cc
lalasticala, mynd44 please take to frontpage, let's celebrate Big Yak
Re: Yakubu Aiyegbeni: Unforgettable And Unforgivable. See His Wonderful Achievements by gotaheart: 3:32pm On Nov 24, 2017
That guy fu.. Up then. But I have forgiven him. If you have forgiven him click like if not click share.

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Aiyegbeni: Unforgettable And Unforgivable. See His Wonderful Achievements by MicheyJ1: 3:42pm On Nov 24, 2017
I think we have been to harsh on him. He is the third highest go scorer for us. And has the highest number of goals for an African player in the epl history. And after the huge miss vs S.Korea he still scored the equalizer.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ronaldo: I’m The Best Player In History / Lionel Messi Reportedly Blasts Super Eagles Ahead Of World Cup / Earn With Easy Both Website Owners And Internet Users

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.