Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,207 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

4 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Drink Water While Eating - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 4 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Drink Water While Eating (1147 Views)

Surprising Ways To Enjoy Nigerian Jollof Rice / 6 Surprising Health Benefits Of Kiwifruit You Should Know / 4 Surprising Tips For Healthy Eating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Drink Water While Eating by Revolva(m): 1:17pm On Nov 25, 2017
One of the most common sights you see on a daily basis is drinking water in between meals. While some people think it is necessary to have a glass of water with your meals, this habit could be highly damaging to your health. Here are six reasons why you should stop drinking water along with your meals.

Makes digestion difficult

Your stomach contains digestive acids that help in the digestion and breakdown of food. Apart from this, the acids are also responsible for killing any infectious agents that might be ingested along with food. These digestive enzymes are essential for our overall well-being as they also allow the stomach to contract and pulverize the food we eat.

Makes you add weight

Drinking water with your meals is the fact that you do tend to put on weight. There is a surge in insulin levels and the food is broken down to make fat which is stored. Apart from that, it is believed that a weak digestive system is one of the leading reasons for obesity.

Reduces amount of saliva

Your saliva is the first step to digestion. Not only does it contain enzymes that help break down food, but it also helps stimulate the stomach to release digestive enzymes and ready itself for the process of digestion. When you drink water during your meals, your saliva gets diluted. This not only sends weaker signals to the stomach but also stops the breakdown of food in your mouth.

Increases the amount of insulin in your body

Drinking water while you are eating can also lead to an increase in your insulin levels. This is because when your body is not able to digest foods well enough it tends to convert the glucose filled part of that food into fat and stores it. This process then requires a surge of insulin in the body increasing your overall blood sugar levels.
Re: 4 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Drink Water While Eating by Dottore: 1:20pm On Nov 25, 2017
Which one person go follow again. Some say drink water while eating to help break the food and whatever other reasons. na that one I know from childhood. others say u shouldn't for a list of other whatever reasons.

I never see person wey die or hospitalized because they drank water while eating but I've seen some choked even to medical emergency because they didn't drink water while eating.

This your article and many others alike sound more like food shouldn't be accompanied with our precious table water and food vendors shouldn't be selling water and drinks since we have saliva to do the work.

1 Like

Re: 4 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Drink Water While Eating by shortgun(m): 1:23pm On Nov 25, 2017
I don't want to live forever let me enjoy my food with chilled water for d borrowed time I have here.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Drink Water While Eating by kingxsamz(m): 1:26pm On Nov 25, 2017
I hate drinking water while eating cus I won't be able to finish the food.

1 Like

Re: 4 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Drink Water While Eating by uzoormah(m): 1:27pm On Nov 25, 2017
Hian!
Re: 4 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Drink Water While Eating by IVORY2009(m): 5:09pm On Nov 25, 2017
shortgun:
I don't want to live forever let me enjoy my food with chilled water for d borrowed time I have here.

Kindly swallow back ur words grin
Re: 4 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Drink Water While Eating by NIJJAking(m): 11:38pm On Nov 27, 2017
Everything written as reasons are all rubbish. It is good to drink water and plenty of it is actually required for proper digestion. Water helps the eaten food to go down to the stomach and soften the waste for easy excrement.
Re: 4 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Drink Water While Eating by Probz(m): 1:22am On Nov 28, 2017
Do this, don’t do that. That’s the stage we’re at in 2017.
Re: 4 Surprising Reasons You Should Not Drink Water While Eating by hisgrace090: 7:48am On Nov 28, 2017
Water no get enemy

(1) (Reply)

New Gas Cylinder, Tables And Chairs 4 Sale / Trending Drips Cake -very Affordable! / Free Online Training On Snacks, Cooking, And Organic Skin Care By First Touch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.