Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,482 members, 7,861,391 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 11:27 AM

Meet The First Man To Undergo Head Transplant - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Meet The First Man To Undergo Head Transplant (714 Views)

Timothy Ray Brown Dies Of Cancer (First Man Cured Of HIV) / FG Orders Civil Servants To Undergo COVID-19 Tests / Craig Lewis: First Man To Live Without A Heart (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The First Man To Undergo Head Transplant by mammanbawa: 4:42pm On Nov 25, 2017
Valery Spiridonov, a 30 year-old Russian computer scientist, suffers from the rare muscle wasting disease Werdnig-Hoffman
A patient has volunteered to become the first person in the world to undergo a complete head transplant.

Valery Spiridonov, 30, says he is prepared to be operated on by surgeon Dr Sergio Canavero who claims he can remove a head and attach it to a healthy body.

Russian computer scientist Mr Spiridonov, 30, who suffers a potentially deadly rare genetic disorder called Werdnig-Hoffman disease, said: “My decision is final and I do not plan to change my mind.

“Am I afraid? Yes, of course I am,” he said. “But it is not just very scary, but also very interesting.

“But you have to understand that I don’t really have many choices.

“If I don’t try this chance my fate will be very sad. With every year my state is getting worse.”

Italian Dr Canavero said he has part of the funding secured, although, he said, he cannot yet disclose where the money is coming from as a condition of the funding.

He has identified Mr Spiridonov as the first patient.

Dr Canavero and Mr Spiridonov have talked via Skype but have not yet met and the doctor has not reviewed his medical records.

Dr Canavero and Mr Spiridonov
The surgeon said he has received many emails and letters from people seeking the procedure. Dr Canavero has named the procedure HEAVEN, an acronym for head anastomosis venture.

Anastomosis involves the surgical connecting of two parts. The new body would come from a transplant donor who is brain dead but otherwise healthy.

Dr Canavero said: “I say two years is the time needed for the team to reach perfect synchronization.”

He estimates a team of 150 doctors and nurses will be needed for what is estimated to be a 36-hour surgery.

The first monkey head transplant was performed 45 years ago in 1970.

The monkey died after eight days, because the body rejected the new head.

Before the monkey died, it was unable to move because the spinal cord of the head and body were not sufficiently connected.

The monkey could also not breathe on its own.

Dr Canavero said he will use a “magic ingredient” as a sealant to fuse the human spinal cords back together.

Arthur Caplan, director of medical ethics at New York University’s Langone Medical Centre, has described Dr Canavero as “nuts”.

He said the bodies of head transplant patients “would end up being overwhelmed with different pathways and chemistry than they are used to and they’d go crazy.”

He added: “It’s not like you can unscrew your head and put it on someone else.”

Dr Hunt Batjer, president elect of the American Association for Neurological Surgeons, added: “I would not wish this on anyone.

“I would not allow anyone to do it to me as there are a lot of things worse than death.”
Cc
Lalasticlala

Re: Meet The First Man To Undergo Head Transplant by poshestmina(f): 4:44pm On Nov 25, 2017
On behalf of my family and I ...rest in peace sad
Re: Meet The First Man To Undergo Head Transplant by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 25, 2017
God be with you till we meet again.

1 Like

Re: Meet The First Man To Undergo Head Transplant by NwaChibuzor: 4:54pm On Nov 25, 2017
Tho only thing their olodo nigerian counterpart know how to do is to strike over unpaid 160 k monthly salary

1 Like

Re: Meet The First Man To Undergo Head Transplant by vertueptime: 5:00pm On Nov 25, 2017
If he succeeds he will be glorifed, if he failed hmmmm be ready for law suit
Re: Meet The First Man To Undergo Head Transplant by vertueptime: 5:03pm On Nov 25, 2017
If he succeeds he will be glorifed, if he fails hmmmm be ready for law suit
Re: Meet The First Man To Undergo Head Transplant by Yhelay(m): 5:37pm On Nov 25, 2017
That's the beauty of science
but I wish he could do a sample operation on animal before human.... all the best, Record loading 50%
Re: Meet The First Man To Undergo Head Transplant by donolatunji(m): 7:12pm On Nov 25, 2017
NwaChibuzor:
Tho only thing their olodo nigerian counterpart know how to do is to strike over unpaid 160 k monthly salary
ogami you make me laff ........ and how many Nigerian doctors can ever think doing that kinda procedure in their life time! Na only money......
Re: Meet The First Man To Undergo Head Transplant by Decallionaire: 7:57pm On Nov 25, 2017
Some of the best doctors in the world are Nigerians. If the working atmosphere is right, nothing stops our doctors here from performing beyond expectation.

(1) (Reply)

Whats Gonorrhea cure? / Here Are Some Tips On How To Lose Weight By Eating More / Stem Cell Therapy Cure HIV, Sickle Cell Anaemia, Blindness & 100 More Diseseas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.