Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:16 AM

What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? (6302 Views)

Notes On Contact Between The Igala And The Ibo By J.S. Boston / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? by AxeLord: 4:40am On Dec 05, 2017
[s]
Olu317:
There is no need trying to stretch hands of brotherhood to these people if their known Oba of BINI could politicised our history by claiming Odu'a was their lost and a weakling ogiso only son. The same Ogiso called king of the sky within Edo world that has nothing to link him to maternal lineage but gave birth to another man by himself..... They are not worth the trouble. Thank God, we are more populous than them .Else their story might be seen as true rather than the grandeur lies to distort history. Yet the BINI knows Ogun or Oguum as god of iron . They are not worth it at all...
[/s]

Guy get out of Edo Threads we don't fvvcking care about you or your people!

And for your info every sane nigerian and historian knows the Edo version of history is the truth and most practical

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? by Olu317(m): 12:39pm On Dec 05, 2017
AxeLord:
[s][/s]

Guy get out of Edo Threads we don't fvvcking care about you or your people!

And for your info every sane nigerian and historian knows the Edo version of history is the truth and most practical
Get out of Edo thread? The owner of this thread is Yoruba. How come it is your pseudo community that is infested with lies owns this thread? Now let it pain you more because the Christians have Bible in their rooms to connect to God. The Muslim have Quran in their rooms to pray to God. Oba BINI has sculpture of OONI OF ILE IFE in his room to connect to God.... This is the statute below. Kiss the truth..

Re: What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? by ProudToBeAZombie: 3:31pm On Dec 05, 2017
Olu317:
Get out of Edo thread? The owner of this thread is Yoruba. How come it is your pseudo community that is infested with lies owns this thread? Now let it pain you more because the Christians have Bible in their rooms to connect to God. The Muslim have Quran in their rooms to pray to God. Oba BINI has sculpture of OONI OF ILE IFE in his room to connect to God.... This is the statute below. Kiss the truth..
I dealt with him some days ago before the mods banned me. Oyo alone is bigger than that mushroom called Bini.

1 Like

Re: What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? by Olu317(m): 6:43pm On Dec 05, 2017
ProudToBeAZombie:
I dealt with him some days ago before the mods banned me. Oyo alone is bigger than that mushroom called Bini.
I agree with you totally. These people with no known history and fake identity. They are the ones that want glory when infact we gave them Ogun to worship. We gave them olokun to worship. We gave them Esu to worship. yet they kept distorting history. My dear, continue in your good work. Omoulabi we Yorubas will forever remain.
Re: What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? by PrinceOgun: 9:16am On Dec 12, 2017
[[s]quote author=Olu317 post=63010205]I agree with you totally. These people with no known history and fake identity. They are the ones that want glory when infact we gave them Ogun to worship. We gave them olokun to worship. We gave them Esu to worship. yet they kept distorting history. My dear, continue in your good work. Omoulabi we Yorubas will forever remain. [/quote][/s]

You are talking rubbish
Re: What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? by bigfrancis21: 9:14am On Dec 14, 2017
RedboneSmith:

It is Oseloka. How is that an Edo name? What does it mean in Edo? Because you saw 'Ose' (which, I agree was borrowed from an Edoid word for God) in a name then that name must be an Edo name? What about the rest of the name --- what does Eloka mean in Edo?

It is like a Cross River man saying Nwobasi is a Cross River name because he saw Obasi in the name.

'Osa' as used in Igbo is the short form of 'Olisa'. I doubt it is of Edoid origin.
Re: What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? by bigfrancis21: 9:15am On Dec 14, 2017
ProudToBeAZombie:
Seeing that Igala thread on FP today, i am force to believe Yoruba, Ibo, and Bini have shared something in common during ancient times.

I just don't know if we are somehow connected, do you have any suggestions, researches, books regarding this topic?

The connections is indeed a complex one, lost in the annals of time.
Re: What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? by davidnazee: 11:49am On Dec 14, 2017
RedboneSmith:

It is Oseloka. How is that an Edo name? What does it mean in Edo? Because you saw 'Ose' (which, I agree was borrowed from an Edoid word for God) in a name then that name must be an Edo name? What about the rest of the name --- what does Eloka mean in Edo?

It is like a Cross River man saying Nwobasi is a Cross River name because he saw Obasi in the name.

His name is Osekola Obazee. That is clearly an Edo name and I believe he has Edo ancestry. Please what does Obazee mean in Igbo?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? by RedboneSmith(m): 12:15pm On Dec 14, 2017
davidnazee:

His name is Osekola Obazee. That is clearly an Edo name and I believe he has Edo ancestry. Please what does Obazee mean in Igbo?

My friend, his name is not Osekola. His name is Oseloka. And that is not an Edo name. It has an Igbo meaning. I never said his surname Obaze is Igbo in origin. I was clearly talking about first name; don't change topic.

He may have Benin ancestry or he may not. He comes from Ogbaru which has mixed ancestry, tracing to many different places, including aboriginal Igbo, Igala and Benin.

My original point still stands: Oseloka is not a Benin name. Benin people do not answer Oseloka. Only Igbo people answer it. It has a clear Igbo meaning. (Even if 'Ose' originally filtered into Igbo-speaking areas from Edo-speaking areas, it doesn't change this fact.)

1 Like

Re: What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? by davidnazee: 12:23pm On Dec 14, 2017
RedboneSmith:

My friend, his name is not Osekola. His name is Oseloka. And that is not an Edo name. It has an Igbo meaning. I never said his surname Obaze is Igbo in origin. I was clearly talking about first name; don't change topic.

He may have Benin ancestry or he may not. He comes from Ogbaru which has mixed ancestry, tracing to many different places, including aboriginal Igbo, Igala and Benin.

My original point still stands: Oseloka is not a Benin name. Benin people do not answer Oseloka. Only Igbo people answer it. It has a clear Igbo meaning. (Even if 'Ose' originally filtered into Igbo-speaking areas from Edo-speaking areas, it doesn't change this fact.)

We use last name/family name to trace ancestry or tribal connections. First name doesn’t matter here. His first name could be John doesn’t mean he is English man or an Igbo man living in Lagos names his son Tunde doesn’t mean he is Yoruba.

Many Anambra Igbos have Benin ancestry.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? by RedboneSmith(m): 12:31pm On Dec 14, 2017
davidnazee:

We use last name/family name to trace ancestry or tribal connections. First name doesn’t matter here. His first name could be John doesn’t mean he is English man or an Igbo man living in Lagos names his son Tunde doesn’t mean he is Yoruba.

You have changed topic. Real really changed topic.

Go back to my earlier comment. I was only interested in setting the record straight about Oseloka NOT being an Edo name.

All this Benin-ancestry-surname sia m'osiroya, you are veering into now, I didn't come here for that.

If we have agreed that Oseloka is not an Edo name, then my work here is done.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? by Probz(m): 10:35pm On Dec 16, 2017
davidnazee:

Where outside Onitsha?
Re: What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? by olawalepopoola: 5:56am On Dec 19, 2017
I have some Binis friends with Yoruba names like O'yemi and O'Remi.
I see Binis as my kinsmen and women.
Leave the Igbos to say anything they want.
ProudToBeAZombie:
Olawalepoopola & proudlyYoruba, i appreciate your comments. I'm sure that there was a time in history when we were brothers and sisters but that doesn't mean the Binis or Yorubas won't have fought each other to conquer territories just like the ancient Han nation of China and Korea.

I think we should put our differences aside and accept our similar heritages and history for our betterment.

Last week my bini neighbour told me that in her village, yoruba names are still given to children till this day. Funnily she named her daughter a Yoruba name.
Re: What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? by olawalepopoola: 6:01am On Dec 19, 2017
Binis do give their children Yoruba names. I have so many of them as friends.
So pack well.
PrinceOgun:

What stupid names?

Let's hear dem, don't just talk rubbish...

You come hear talking rubbish about what you know nothing about , so now the few akoko Edo settlement at the outskirts of Edo State who refused to join their kit and kin in ondo state are the ones you are reffering!

Smh , you better start getting articulate in your reasoning!!

Like I said I get una time for this thread!
Re: What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? by sherlock229(m): 10:42am On Dec 21, 2017
why would any sane yoruba try to associate with edo people? especially as they have made it clear ,"we are not the same"We've achieved far more than the binis in every way(no competition really) and it hasn't stopped, the Igbos are better competition intellectually to us,than an average bini person.

bini will be better off dragging with those minor tribes like igala, and speaking of igala, we have more similarities with them than we do with edos and igbos.

3 Likes

Re: What's The Ibo-yoruba-bini Connection? by ehinmowo: 9:36pm On Dec 28, 2017
Diiet:
please stop saying or believing that Edo and yoruba are one and same, most Edo folks don't see it that way. Edo is Edo and yoruba is yoruba. We are completely different people.

Hmmm. I dnt wnt to call u names. Bt it's either u dnt read history or u are jst been deviant

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Beading Tutorial - How To Make An Ocean Blue Seed Bead Cluster Necklace Easily. / How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? / Silent Night In Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.