Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,826 members, 7,828,020 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

Is HOW ARE YOU? A Greeting? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is HOW ARE YOU? A Greeting? (691 Views)

Ooni of ife, Oba of Benin and Oba of Lagos greeting people [PICS] / Yoruba Vocabulary And Greeting / Yoruba Entrance Greeting And Wrong Insertion Of Sir (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is HOW ARE YOU? A Greeting? by GideonIdaboh(f): 7:54am On Nov 30, 2017
You greet someone, Good morning sir/ma and the person just replies how are you? Is it a proper response? especially when the person you're greeting is not older than you. Or someone sees you and consistently asks you, how are you? I really want to know if it is a greeting.
I hope our supposed western citizens do not derail this thread as it seeks resolution.

Cc: lalasticlala
Re: Is HOW ARE YOU? A Greeting? by NwaAmaikpe: 7:56am On Nov 30, 2017
shocked

How are you is not a greeting, it is a mockery.
We are all not fine but they want us to say it with our mouth.

So when I am asked, 'How are you?'
I always reply, 'better than you Sir.'

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is HOW ARE YOU? A Greeting? by Lionbite(m): 8:01am On Nov 30, 2017
Who are your supposed western citizens
Re: Is HOW ARE YOU? A Greeting? by kocvalour(m): 8:14am On Nov 30, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

How are you is not a greeting, it is a mockery. We are all not fine but they want us to say it with our mouth.

So when I am asked, 'How are you?' I always reply, 'better than you Sir.'
Nice response.
Re: Is HOW ARE YOU? A Greeting? by Nbote(m): 8:19am On Nov 30, 2017
We jus attach too much importance to irrelevant things... "How are u" is obviously a question which has become more of a courtesy response.

1 Like

Re: Is HOW ARE YOU? A Greeting? by eTECTIVe(m): 8:26am On Nov 30, 2017
OP, D response to "Gud morning" is "Gud morning" and vice versa. "How are u" is jus to kip d conversation going.. I'm pretty sure u'll assume a person doesn't like U if dey jus reply "Gud morning" to ur greeting nd move on

NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

How are you is not a greeting, it is a mockery.
We are all not fine but they want us to say it with our mouth.

So when I am asked, 'How are you?'
I always reply, 'better than you Sir.'

In ur mind now U made sense.... If "How are u" is a mockery, what is Gud about d morning or wateva time of d day it is? It is what it is as "How are U" is merely a question ppl ask to show interest in ur wellbeing or probably start a conversation.

1 Like

Re: Is HOW ARE YOU? A Greeting? by Evablizin(f): 9:06am On Nov 30, 2017
Is not a greeting.
Re: Is HOW ARE YOU? A Greeting? by Nobody: 9:37am On Nov 30, 2017
It's both a greeting and question
Re: Is HOW ARE YOU? A Greeting? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Nov 30, 2017
eTECTIVe:
OP, D response to "Gud morning" is "Gud morning" and vice versa. "How are u" is jus to kip d conversation going.. I'm pretty sure u'll assume a person doesn't like U if dey jus reply "Gud morning" to ur greeting nd move on

In ur mind now U made sense.... If "How are u" is a mockery, what is Gud about d morning or wateva time of d day it is? It is what it is as "How are U" is merely a question ppl ask to show interest in ur wellbeing or probably start a conversation.
GBAM

(1) (Reply)

Ifá Heritage Institute Admission / Money Found Hidden Under A Mattress By A Guest In My Home. What Does This Mean? / A Bronze Cockerel Stolen In The 19th Century To Be Returned To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.