Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,956 members, 7,821,356 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? (4675 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by angeldiana(f): 6:15pm On Mar 27, 2010
Share your story!
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by kadman(m): 7:22pm On Mar 27, 2010
1. The process which Canada structures it's application; with no given date of return of visa application was very annoying to me,and I would never consider it.

2. This website - http://www.notcanada.com/ I'm smart enough to realize it might be bull crap,  but when I wanted to relocate info on this site turned me against Canada.

3. I just always felt Canada is an imitation of the U.S ,  why don't I just go for the real thing, but that is my feeling,and might be far from the truth.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by jonyjay(m): 9:53pm On Mar 27, 2010
kadman:

1. The process which Canada structures it's application, with no given date of return of visa application was very annoying to me,and I would never consider it.

2. This website - http://www.notcanada.com/ I'm smart enough to realize it might be bull crap, but when I wanted to relocate info on this site turned me against Canada.

3. I just always felt Canada is an imation of U.S , why don't I just go for the real thing, but that is [b]my feeling,and might be far from the truth.
[/b]
The bolded part. 100% correct. you aint far from the truth at all. canada is no way compare to america.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by AjanleKoko: 11:19pm On Mar 27, 2010
@kadman,

Don't quite agree. Canada is definitely not the US, but is okay for an African to migrate to.
Of course you need a lot of luck, as their economy isn't as diverse as the US. But I think it's a great place to start a business in.
If I wanted to migrate to Canada, it would not be for career, but for business (trading).
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by jonyjay(m): 11:54pm On Mar 27, 2010
@Ajanlekoko
Even business wise canada is not it. canada is only good to claim refugee. A UNITED NATIONS COUNTRY!
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Pittbaby(f): 12:08am On Mar 28, 2010
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by tunnytox(m): 1:55pm On Mar 28, 2010
I agree with some of the posts here the Canadian immigration Programm especially the Federal skilled migration program until recently takes too long to process, that itself is a major turn off for many people. I will use my on case as an instance, I applied for the skilled migration program to Canada nearly 7 years ago and I only just got my PR few weeks ago BUT I am in a dillemma now, after waiting for so long for the Canadian visa to get through I decided to move to UK. Now in the UK with all my family getting settled and will qualify for Indefinite leave to remain (ILR- equivalent to Canadian PR) in less than 2 years time, will it be worthwhile for me to now leave the UK and go to Canada to settle? I don't think I'm considering that alternative at the moment but since I have the visa I've decided to land in Canada 1st and return to to the UK to ponder on my options.
Secondly, on the issue of Canada being an immitation of the US, I want to disagree with that, there are lot of areas whereby Canada have adopted different policies and way of lives which are quite different from the USA. I think before anyone can jump to conlcusion and make such statement you'll need to have lived in these 2 countries otherwise such statement has no leg to stand on.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 3:33pm On Mar 28, 2010
@tunnytox , yea, just touch down in the country and then leave and den start looking for a job online and once you secure one, you can move there
Love your reply regarding Canada been like the US and dont know why a lot of Nigerians like making such comment. I'm even tired to reply, lol I shall be back
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by tunnytox(m): 6:24pm On Mar 28, 2010
Thank you Hotstepper, that's my plan i just need to gather money for the tickets for me and my family as I'm skint right now, hopefully I'll sort myself out in few months time.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Pittbaby(f): 12:51am On Mar 29, 2010
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 4:01am On Mar 29, 2010
@tunnytox, anytime dear, alwayz willing to render my help and suggestions.
If I may ask, what part of Canada are you looking at relocating to and what is you and your wife's career path? I can be able to suggest some job search engine
Good luck and God who gave you the PR will surely give you the resources to make the move.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by tunnytox(m): 5:47pm On Mar 29, 2010
@Hotsepper
I am planning to stay in Brampton Ontario, as for my career path, I am an Accountant. I have a B.SC degree in Accounting from Olabisi Onabanjo University Ago -Iwoye, I am also a qualified member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN). I am working towards getting my ACCA here its been a little bit difficult to read most times due to job and family commitments but I'm determined to finish this ACCA by next year. I learnt that with the ACCA getting a CMA qualification in Canada will be much easier.

At the moment I'm working for one of the councils in England as a Finance Officer (a low level posts compare to my past experiences but there's hope for career progression). I'll appreciate any useful suggestions from you on how to move my career forward if I intend to move to Canada in the end.

Thanks
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 5:54pm On Mar 29, 2010
oh nice, you are doing good for yourself I must say and your career path is one that wont be hard finding a job compare to others.
When you are ready, I can give you job websites you can look at and even getting govt. job wont be a bad idea as well.
Brampton is a good place though a lil bit far from Toronto and requires one to have a car, though there is bus services but comes more or less every 25 mins.
Do you have family or friends here?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by skfa1: 6:04pm On Mar 29, 2010
@ Hotstepper

What about somebody that study oil and gas management (UK postgraduate), will it be easier to secure Job in canada?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by skfa1: 6:06pm On Mar 29, 2010
@ tunnytox

Is it really compulsory to have working experience to apply for the Permanent Residence pls?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Pittbaby(f): 6:08pm On Mar 29, 2010
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 6:18pm On Mar 29, 2010
@skfa1, yes, its even no 1 as far as I know and you will be looking at the province of Alberta (cities like Edmonton and Calgary etc)
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by skfa1: 6:23pm On Mar 29, 2010
Hotstepper:

@skfa1, yes, its even no 1 as far as I know and you will be looking at the province of Alberta (cities like Edmonton and Calgary etc)

Thank you, i really appreciate. Do you know if I will need working experience to apply for the Permanent Residence pls? and do they require to have postgraduate to apply for the PR (UK postgraduate)?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 6:26pm On Mar 29, 2010
visit http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp to find out an in depth requirement for that, anything you need to know about migrating to Canada or coming to Canada can be seen there
On a general note, you need education, skills,etc, look at that link to see
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by tunnytox(m): 6:28pm On Mar 29, 2010
@Hotstepper
Yes I do have some friends in Canada, one of them have agreed already to accomodate me for a short period and to assist in putting me through for the first few weeks. Anyway, my plan is to spend just 3 weeks and return to the UK after which I'll be looking for job through websites. I am planning to travel around august/sept so i'll keep you informed so you can give me those websites as soon as i'm ready.

@skfa1
Yes you'll require to have a minimum of 1 year experience in your nominated occupation but pls check the CIC website to know if your occupation among those listed and qualify to apply for  PR in Canada. www.cic.gc.ca also visit http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/skilled-worker-professional-immigration-b4.0/
for some guidance from senior applicants.
goodluck
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by skfa1: 6:34pm On Mar 29, 2010
Thank you guys, I really appreciate.
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 6:35pm On Mar 29, 2010
@tunnytox, thats good, at least you can use that 3 weeks to apply for your SIM card, health card and all them imp. documents.
Sure let me know
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Liss: 11:14pm On Mar 29, 2010

@tunnytox, thats good, at least you can use that 3 weeks to apply for your SIM card, health card and all them imp. documents.
Sure let me know as me myself is planning on [b]moving back to Nigeria[/b] by the 3rd week in September

@Hotstepper, do you mean moving back to Nigeria as in permanently? shocked shocked
I sure hope not o!
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 11:20pm On Mar 29, 2010
@ Liss, yes permanently and is there anything I should be concerned about?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Liss: 11:26pm On Mar 29, 2010
shocked, waoh!

Well, I would suggest you research your move extremely well. Plus, your decision should be based on jobs and their prospects, environment where you intend to live permanently, schools for your kids etc.

Read on NL about some families who intended relocating but changed there minds after they doing some research! Would suggest you do the same. For one, you could try visiting in order to answer the questions above.

BTW, what's your motive for wanting to move back?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Pittbaby(f): 3:48pm On Mar 30, 2010
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by dancewith: 7:47pm On Mar 30, 2010
@ Tunnytux, is there any special reason why you would wish to settle in Brampton? I lived there for eight months and always get this feeling is a village. too lonely and kind of deserted most times!
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 9:05pm On Mar 30, 2010
@Liss, I will be done skool next month and want to go and do my youth service and continue my life there
B/w, I'm a Development Studies student so my field is not in da developed nations, get?
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by tunnytox(m): 6:51pm On Mar 31, 2010
@dancewith
i won't be living in Brampton, I'm only going to stay their for few weeks and that's because my friend who will be accomadating me lives there. If i eventually decided to live in Canada then I believe Toronto will be my best bet for jobs.

@Hotstepper
I salute your courage but for me i believe its always good to at least secure your canadian passport/PR before returning to naija in case things didn't go as planned, its always good to have a plan B
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Liss: 5:44pm On Apr 01, 2010
[quote

@Hotstepper
I salute your courage but for me i believe its always good to at least secure your canadian passport/PR before returning to naija in case things didn't go as planned, its always good to have a plan B
[quote][/quote]

Same here o! I seriously salute her courage! NYSC Seriously? I hope you are going to "runs" it o, cos even those in Nigeria don't end up serving, they just use "leg" to get their certificates! Abeg think long and hard o!

Plus, Development Studies can still be of relevance in Canada, right? I mean not everywhere is developed there too, right?

I doubt I can do this o, person wey get cap no get head lipsrsealed, I agree you should at least get your PR first before returning o
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by Hotstepper(f): 8:12pm On Apr 01, 2010
@tunnytox and Liss, thanks for your reply
I will do everything in regards to youth service and not the k-leg cuz I believe that's being corrupt and Nigerians always think that its when you steal money or a politician, u den become corrupt.
Liss, I did Int. development Studies and its only the execs. that stay here and peeps like me sent to any developing country
I have plan B but I am optimistic that things will work out tongue

@dancewith, wen was the last time u went to Brampton? you will be suprised to see Brampton of 2day lipsrsealed
Re: What 's Your Excuse For Keeping Off Your Immigration To Canada? by cayesworld(m): 10:24pm On Apr 01, 2010
Hotstepper:

I believe that's being corrupt and Nigerians always think that its when you steal money or a politician, u den become corrupt.

WORD!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Arik Air International Flights / Douala: The Economic Capital Of Cameroon / Need Honeymoon Destination!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.