Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Is It Right Or Wrong For Women To Wear Trousers. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right Or Wrong For Women To Wear Trousers. (8689 Views)

New Changes For Jehovah's Witness: Women Can Wear Trousers, Men Must Not Wear.. / Evangelist Victor Edet: 'Ladies Who Wear Trousers Can Never Make Heaven' / Is It A Sin For Women To Wear Trousers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For Women To Wear Trousers. by Kolanist(m): 12:53pm On Jan 19, 2018
There is nothing wrong with a woman wearing trousers as far as she does it as a female, there are some women who wear trousers but does it as a male, that is wrong and the bible condems it. It is just as if u said a woman should not were boxers because it covers the legs to some extent. Some cultures males wears skirt, it is not wrong as far as they do it as a male. What the bible condems is behaving and dressing in the context(meaning) of the oposite sex .a male can wear skirt but in the context(meaning) that he is still a male but he is wrong to wear skirt in the context(meaning) that he is a female. I pray u get this in Jesus name
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For Women To Wear Trousers. by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jan 21, 2018
Kolanist:
There is nothing wrong with a woman wearing trousers as far as she does it as a female, there are some women who wear trousers but does it as a male, that is wrong and the bible condems it. It is just as if u said a woman should not were boxers because it covers the legs to some extent. Some cultures males wears skirt, it is not wrong as far as they do it as a male. What the bible condems is behaving and dressing in the context(meaning) of the oposite sex .a male can wear skirt but in the context(meaning) that he is still a male but he is wrong to wear skirt in the context(meaning) that he is a female. I pray u get this in Jesus name

Thank You, that's exactly what I explained in my post (opening post of this thread).
Re: Is It Right Or Wrong For Women To Wear Trousers. by Kolanist(m): 12:54pm On Jan 22, 2018
preciousuweh:
One of the question people most especially the women are asking in the Christendom today is:
IS IT RIGHT OR WRONG FOR WOMEN TO PUT ON TROUSERS.
The answer to the above question has always been two sided. Two sided in the sense that some set of people opposes it, i.e claims/say that it is wrong for women to put it on. And if asked why they say so, they will simply tell you that the bible kicks against it, and the passage they always quote or dish out is Deuteronomy 22:5.
While the other set of people proposes it, i.e claim/say that there is nothing wrong with it, and when asked why, they will simply say that there is no way where it is written in the bible that women shouldn't put on trousers.
And the argument continues while the billion dollar question lingers, is it wrong or right for women to put on trousers?
Well the answer to that is what we will be looking at in this article. It's gonna be a long thing, so buckle up.
Before I continue, let's look at what the bible says in Deuteronomy 22:5;

" The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God. "

What the above passage is saying is, a woman should not put on any attire that belongs to a man and a man also should not put on any attire that belongs to a woman. That's Awesome. But the question here is;
Is Trouser Only A Male Attire?
Well before I answer that, let's look at the below facts.
1.) The Indian women puts on trouser like attire culturally (i.e as their cultural attire).
2.) The Arab women puts on trouser like attire culturally (i.e as their cultural attire).
3.) The Hausa/Fulani women of the Northern Nigeria puts on trouser like attire culturally (i.e as their cultural attire where the women puts on trouser or trouser like attire sewn with local material or a jean trouser in which a long gown is being worn over).

Also, I will like us to consider the below facts also
1.) In Scotland, their men puts on skirt like attire culturally (i.e as their cultural attire).
2.) The Jewish, Arab, Greek, Roman men puts on gowns or gown like attire culturally (i.e as their cultural attire).
3.) The Efik, Ibibio, Anang and Oron men of the Niger Deltan states of Akwa Ibom and Cross River State tie wrappers culturally (i.e as their cultural attire).

Before we proceed, I will like you (reader) to ponder on the below questions:
1.) Will the Indian, Arab and Hausa/Fulani women be condemn to Hell because they put on trousers or trouser like attire which is their cultural attire?
2.) Will the Scottish, Jewish, Arab, Roman, Greek, Efik, Ibibio, Anang and Oron men be condemn to hell because they put on skirt like attire, gown or gown like attire and tie wrapper which is their respective cultural attires?
If your answer to the above question is yes i.e they will be condemn to hell, that means you are trying to tell me that, the Bible and GOD is against culture. And if that be the case, then what was the need for GOD to separate men into diverse language and culture at the tower of babel if HE was against it?
I will like someone to ponder on that.

Different cultures and their different ways of dressing. And they are cultures that allow men to put on skirt like or gown like attires, and they are also cultures that allow women to put on trouser like attire.
In those cultures that allow men to put on skirt like or gown like attires, their women also dress in like manner but there is always a difference.
In such cultures, the gown like attire or skirt like atttire been worn by the males is always different from the gown like or skirt like attire been worn by the women, for e.g the Jewish men put on gown like attires just like their female counterparts, but the type of gowns be worn, how it is been worn and the manners by which it is been worn is different from that of the female in such a way that some one can be able to different between a male gown and a female gown.
The Efiks also, the way and manner in which a male ties his wrapper is different from the way a female do theirs. Same applicable to cultures that allow women to put on trousers or trouser like attires. The way and manner by which a female puts on trousers and trouser like attires is different from the way the male does theirs in such a way one will be able to differentiate between that of the females and the males.
In essence all I'm trying to say is that trouser is not only a male attire because they are cultures that allows women to put on such.
Another point to show that trouser is not a male attire is if we go back to the garden of Eden after the fall of man when GOD sew clothes for Adam and Eve. HE didn't sew trouser or trouser like attire for Adam, how are you sure? you may ask. Well if HE did that, the early men would have been putting on trousers or trouser like attires but that didn't happen, because the early men put on gown like attire which shows that GOD himself sew a gown like attire for Adam whose pattern he then passed over to his children and eventually the early men but the way and manner in which the male gown was and was been worn was different to that of the females.

So now what the Bible in Deuteronomy 22:5 (which is our opening bible passage) which at first was commanded to the Jews but has now been extended to gentiles also by reason of salvation and grace through our LORD JESUS CHRIST ( and the gentiles are people with diverse cultural backgrounds) is saying is:
Any dressing or attire that has been seen, allowed, noticed, permitted as a man's attire culturally (i.e in a particular culture), a woman shouldn't put it on. Likewise any dressing or attire that has been seen, allowed, noticed, permitted as a woman's attire culturally (i.e in a particular culture), as man shouldn't put it on. Because it is an abomination and sin in the sight of GOD. For e.g if a Scottish male puts on a skirt like attire that is for a female (given the fact that Scottish male put on skirt like atire) then that male has committed a sin and abomination in the sight of GOD. Likewise also if a Jewish woman puts on a gown that is for a man, then that woman has committed a sin and abomination in the sight of GOD. And also if me, as an oron man tie my wrapper the way oron women tie theirs, then I have committed a sin and abomination in the sight of GOD. And also if an oron woman ties her wrapper the way oron men tie theirs, then certainly that woman has committed sin and abomination in the sight of GOD.
But if a male of a particular cultural background puts on any attire (be it skirt, trousers, gowns and wrappers) that is for males, then he hasn't committed any sin or done anything wrong. Likewise if a female of a particular cultural background puts on any attire (be it skirt, trousers, gowns and wrappers) that is for females, then she hasn't committed any sin or done anything wrong. For e.g if a Scottish male puts on a skirt like attire that is for a male (given the fact that Scottish male put on skirt like atire) then that male has not committed any sin or abomination in the sight of GOD. Likewise also if a Jewish woman puts on a gown that is for a woman, then that woman has not committed any sin or abomination in the sight of GOD. And also if me, as an oron man tie my wrapper the way oron men tie theirs, then I have not committed any sin or abomination in the sight of GOD. And also if an oron woman ties her wrapper the way oron women tie theirs, then certainly that woman hasn't committed any sin or abomination in the sight of GOD.
I know the thought on your mind will be: "But all the above statements and facts are all about or related to the cultural background of the said people. How is that related to the modern way of dressing which involves women putting on trousers?"
That's a nice question up there but before I answer that question, I will like you to ponder on the questions below:
1.) The modern attire we put on today, is it our cultural attire i.e is that the attire been worn and recognized by people of our culture as our cultural attire? Of course our answer to the above question is a capital NO.
2.) Since it's not our cultural attire, then where did it originate from? what culture, cultural background or people did it originate from? because such attires wouldn't just have originated from nowhere or from mars to Earth and be termed "modern attires".
The answer to the above question is that the so called modern attire of today actually originated from the west which includes the US, UK, North American and European countries which means that the so called modern attires of our world today are the cultural attires of the west but due to unknown reasons they became so popular and widespread that they are now term modern attires rather than western attires.
Another question I will like to ask is:
The modern trousers been worn by men today, which culture did it originate from? Of course the answer to that is the westerners. There is no other culture to the best of my knowledge right from time immemorial (the biblical times) that allow men to put on or that recognises the modern trousers (which is been worn by men today) as their cultural attire. The westerners introduced that and today, it is now been regarded as a world wide thing.
If you look at the western culture, the issue of women putting on trousers wasn't part of their culture but they came a time when their culture evolved in such a way women starting putting on trousers i.e trousers designed and made for women were been produced.
You may ask, why must their culture evolve?
Well the answers to that are in the below points:
1.) Life is dynamic. And for something to be dynamic, change must occur. To evolve means to change. Change is constant, it can never be stopped.
2.) Ask yourself this question (This question is targeted at the Africans, most especially Nigerians). The way people of your culture dress currently culturally, is it the same way they were dressing during the pre-colonial era (i.e Before colonisation, before the white men came to Africa, before the white men conquered the African continent.)? The answer to the above question is NO (but if you are uncertain about it, a little research on your part will be useful). So the same way your culture evolve from the what they use to dress then to the way they dress now, that is the same way the western culture evolve to the culture it is today, the culture which allows women to put on trousers.
If you still insist that the western culture for evolving is wrong then that means our respective cultures are also wrong for evolving.
So in essence what I'm saying is that the western culture is a culture that allows both women and men to put on trousers.
But in all this, there are trousers specifically designed for the male folks likewise they are also trousers designed for the female folks and they are trousers designed as unisex i.e they can be worn by both the male and female folks. And also the way and manner by which a woman dresses even if she is putting on trouser is different from the way and manner a man dresses in such a way that whenever someone sees a female or female attire he/she will be able to identify her as a female even from a distance or he/she will also be able to recognize the attire as one pertaining to feminism. Same thing applicable to the male attire or manner of dressing which also enables one to be able to identify a male even from a distance or be able to identify such attire as one pertaining to masculinity.
So if a man puts on trousers designed for a woman e.g leggings (which is a trouser like attire designed for women), then he has committed a sin or an abomination in the sight of GOD according to Deuteronomy 22:5. And also if a woman puts on trousers designed for a man, then she has committed a sin or an abomination in the sight of GOD according to Deuteronomy 22:5. But if a man puts on trousers designed for a man, then he hasn't committed any sin or abomination in the sight of GOD according to Deuteronomy 22:5. Likewise if a woman puts on trousers designed for a woman e.g leggings (which is a trouser like attire designed for women), then she hasn't committed any sin or abomination in the sight of GOD according to Deuteronomy 22:5.
So if you say that the trouser is only a man's attire and all women that put them on irrespective of cultural background will be condemned to hell, then that means the skirt or skirt like attire, gowns or gown like attire and the wrappers are all female attires and all men that puts them on will be condemned to hell.
That means the male Jews, Arabs, Romans, Greeks etc will all be condemn to hell for putting on gown or gown like attires which is their culture.
That means the Scottish men will be sent to hell for putting on skirt like attires which is their culture.
That means the men of Efik, Ibibio, Anang and some part of Igbo will be sent to hell for tying wrappers which is their culture.
That also means me and my fellow oron men will be condemn to hell for tying wrappers which is our culture also.
That means JESUS CHRIST should be in hell fire or is already in hell fire since HE Himself wore gown like attires which was the culture of the Jews.
That also means the apostles and the prophets should be in hell fire since they themself wore gown like attires which was the culture of the Jews.
That generally means GOD will condemn people of an entire cultural background to hell simply because they dressed culturally or chooses to dress culturally.
WHAT AN IDEOLOGY!!!!!
Of course the answer to the above statements is a capital NO.
That is why you can't go and tell a western woman that because she is putting on trousers (which is her cultural attire), she will go to hell. She will look at a you like someone that has problem upstairs.
An also imagine a white man coming to tell me that because i'm tying wrapper as an oron man (which is my cultural attire), I will go to hell. I will look at that white man like someone that has brain tumour.

I wonder why some of our churches, people and society label and condemn women that puts on trousers (which is the culture of a particular set of people whom they copied from) to hell why they label and approve those that puts on modern/western skirt(s) or gown(s) (which is also the culture of the same particular set of people whom they are copying from) as those that will be save from the condemnation of hell. Why do they approve a part of the culture of a particular set of people in terms of their dressing and condemn to hell and criticize another part of the culture of that same particular set of people in terms of their dressing also i.e why do they approve the wearing of modern/western skirts and gowns by women and condemn/criticize the wearing of trousers by women ( given the fact that both are the cultural attires of the same set of people from a particular cultural background).
Is That Not Hypocrisy And Mediocrity?

That is why I say as a result of the above facts that putting on of trousers by women is not wrong neither is it a sin or neither does it contradict with Deuteronomy 22:5 because it's the cultural attire of the westerners whom we have also copied from because people tend to copy other people's culture.

So instead of condemning putting on of trousers by women, we (the Christians) should be preaching, advocating and promoting decent, modest and godly dressing irrespective of what one is putting on be it a skirt, gown, wrapper or trouser.
We should also be preaching against cross dressing i.e a man putting on a female attire and a female putting on a male attire.
Our focus shouldn't be on what we dress in or put on but how we dress.

Previously, i was also of the opinion that wearing of trousers by women was wrong and a sin and that they will be condemn to hell Fire until the day I decided to ask questions, research deeply into the bible and examined between diverse cultures and their dressings, dug out the above point and facts I've shared with you, that was when I realized that women putting on trousers is not wrong neither is it a sin.
Although it took me days to come to this conclusion.

NOTE: I'm not condemning or against those churches that are against wearing of trousers by women because every church has their do's and donts which I call church doctrines and they have their reasons why they say or choose to do so.
So if you are woman and your church is against women putting on trousers,then avoid putting it on, do not rebel but if your church allows it then put it on but if your church do not allow putting it on (trousers) to church but permits it outside the church i.e at home, then do likewise, do not rebel.
All I'm trying to say is that putting on trousers by women is not wrong neither is it a sin.
So we should stop labeling women putting on trousers as candidates of Hell Fire.

THANK YOU, NAMASTEY.

#XAVIER

Cc seun, lalasticlala.
I believe you

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meaning Of Isee And Amen: Why You Must Not Speak In Strange Languages / Was There Any Black Man Prophet Of GOD In The Bible Or Quran? / I Had A Vision; I Saw Satan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.