Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (915362 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dayoseun70: 5:54pm On Dec 12, 2017
Was delayed at the Lagos embassy this morning. And here goes my transcript:
Me:Good morning
VO: Good morning how are you doing today
Me: Fine and you
VO: pass me your passport and I20
VO: why are you going to the US
Me: to obtain a masters degree in environmental studies at point park university (Vo cuts in)
VO: Tell me about this program
Me: environmental studies encompasses not just scientific approach of solving environmental challenges but includes environmental law, environmental communication and most importantly Government policies and environment which is are the major problems that face the Nigeria environment as at now. The ...(VO cuts in)
VO: how many school did you apply to
Me:2 point park university and Marshall university
Vo: why point park over marshall
Me: the program at point park is career oriented which offers opportunity to obtain beyond class experience due to its contribution towards fighting environmental challenge in Pittsburgh, working tirelessly with Allegheny firm to restore and conserve the green land scape which welcomes lots of tourist, also the lectures at point park have both teaching and professional experience and through mentorship would pass this first hand experience to me (Vo cuts in again)
VO: what did you do during your Nysc
Me: worked at the product development department developing green techniques in production aimed at reducing the effect of the industrial process on the environment and... (VP again)
Vo:are you married?
Me:no
Vo:any children
Vo: GRE?
Me: wasn't required by the university for my study choice
Started typing like forever
Vo: who is your sponsor
Me: my dad
V(: what does he do
Me: told him
VO started typing for Africa........
Then Ask again did you say point park aren't asking for GRE
Me:was not required for my study program and because I had a GPA above 3.0
This time puts his hand in his mouth and started thinking staring at his system
Vo: what did you say you did after NYSC
Me: was explaining ,in between he asked for salary and I told him I was volunteering. Then he tells me to continue.
Before I could finish the next statement all I heard was I'm sorry this paper explains why I couldn't grant your visa, you're free to reapply. Reaches for the blue paper and gave it to me.

Really I was frustrated though after the interview. I was blank till I got home. I agreed with Twoods on a particular post about the top schools, but still this School has a very good opportunity within and I had scholarship from them too.
But please @Twoods @lagosismyhome and every other person who would constructively criticize me I need your help . I might have said something wrong during my interview please be a light to this path.
Thanks would appreciate your help

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by thefacelessguy: 5:55pm On Dec 12, 2017
I thought I was going to act like Uncle TWoods about Visa application and interview- less sentimental, be logical and just be a genuine Student and apply to a good school....but mehn, I'd be sincere, I had to resort to trusting God.

No doubt I did my bit, did all that's humanly possible but then, even folks I felt were better qualified were denied today. It was almost a foray of blue paper!

Luckily, I got the White Paper

My detailed interview in a bit.

Plenty thanks to everyone! it's been over a year on this thread and I must confess, it contributed to 90% of the success story.

Thanks fam!

For those going this week, my only advice: Pray and do your best!

10 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Ijebuboy525: 6:00pm On Dec 12, 2017
I don't know if I'm getting things wrong here.
You said 2 schools admitted you, one offered you computer science and the other offered you Mathematics, but you choosed Cleveland cos they admitted you for the major of your choice which is statistics, If I'm right that three acceptance not two.

chingynas:
VISA DELAYED 6:45 AM TODAY BY THE WHITE LADY IN WINDOW 3

VO: GOOD MORNING
ME: GOOD MORNING

VO: WHAT'S YOUR HIGHEST DEGREE
ME: BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN MATHEMATICS AND STATISTICS

VO: AND YOU'RE ALSO GOING FOR MASTERS IN MATHEMATICS
ME: YES MAAM

VO: WHAT WILL YOU BE SPECIALIZING IN
ME: STATISTICS

VO: WHAT DID YOU SPECIALIZE IN DURING YOUR UNDERGRADUATE
ME: STATISTICS ALSO

VO: WHAT WILL THIS DEGREE DO FOR YOU
ME: I INTEND TO WORK WITH THIS DEGREE WITH THE NIGERIAN CAPITAL MARKET IN PREDICTION OF STOCK PRICES USING MY RESEARCH WORK AND ALSO I WILL LIKE TO OPEN A VIRTUAL CONSULTANT FIRM TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THE EVER-GROWING CAPITAL MARKET IN NIGERIA

VO: WHEN DID YOU FINISH
ME: 2015

VO; WHERE DID U WORK:
ME: TOLD HER

VO: WHERE IS IT LOCATED
ME: TOLD HER.

VO: HOW MANY SCHOOL DID U CHOOSE:
ME: I CHOOSE 4 SCHOOLS

VO: WHY CLEVELAND
ME: AMONG THE FOUR SCHOOLS THAT I CONSIDERED CLEVELAND IS THE ONLY SCHOOL THAT OFFERS MY SPECIALIZTION IN STATISTICS WHICH IS INLINE WITH MY UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES AND ALSO PROF RICHARD FAN IS WORKING ON DATA ANALYSIS WHICH IS ALSO INLINE WITH MY RESEARCH AND THAT'S WHY I DECISED TO GO TO CLEVELAND

VO: SO YOU MEAN THE OTHER SCHOOLS DID NOT OFFER YOU YOUR SPECIALIZATION
ME: ONE OFFER ME MATHEMATICS WITH SPECIALIZATION IN COMPUTER SCIENCE WHILE THE OTHER OFFER ME JUST MATHEMATICS

VO: HOW MANY ACCEPTANCE
ME: 2

VO: SO WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING AFTER YOUR GRADUATION
ME: I WORK AT BLEEP COMPANY AS A DATA ANALYST AND MY JOB IS TO COMPUTE DAILY RECORDS AND ALSO ANALYSE PROJECT REPORTS USING SPSS AND THEN INTERPRETE MY RESULT IN SUCH A WAY THE MANAGEMENT WILL UNDERSTANDS AND MAKE DECISIONS
SHE NODED HER HEAD HERE OO

VO: SO YOUR COMPANY IS UNDER WHAT
ME; CONSTRUCTION COMPANY I.E ENGINEERING

VO: WHO IS PAYING FOR THIS
ME : MY DAD

VO: WHAT DOES HE DO
ME: HE'S A NATIONWIDE DISTRIBUTOR OF BUILDING MATERIALS.

VO: I'M SORRY I WILL NOT APPROVE YOUR VISA AT THIS TIME
ME: THANK YOU..

PLEASE CORRECT ME HOUSE....IM ABOUT TO REAPPLY...

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by aanu007(m): 6:06pm On Dec 12, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:

http://hotels.ng is a good tool

Thanks. I got one through the site.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Beautyaddy: 6:15pm On Dec 12, 2017
TWoods:

He’s a child, I would ignore him. grin in 10 years he’ll be here excusing his failure by saying all fingers are not equal.
Please do...and please don't stoop so low responding to his post.

He will keep trolling you all over the thread or forum...lol!

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Beautyaddy: 6:24pm On Dec 12, 2017
texrem:

Please, stop saying all this here. Nobody goes there with that. angry angry angry

Yeah Right! How do you know that?

I know the bitter truth hurts...lol!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 6:25pm On Dec 12, 2017
dayoseun70:
Me: to obtain a masters degree in environmental studies at point park university (Vo cuts in)
Me: environmental studies encompasses not just scientific approach of solving environmental challenges but includes environmental law, environmental communication and most importantly Government policies and environment which is are the major problems that face the Nigeria environment as at now. The ...(VO cuts in)
Me: the program at point park is career oriented which offers opportunity to obtain beyond class experience due to its contribution towards fighting environmental challenge in Pittsburgh, working tirelessly with Allegheny firm to restore and conserve the green land scape which welcomes lots of tourist, also the lectures at point park have both teaching and professional experience and through mentorship would pass this first hand experience to me (Vo cuts in again)
Me: worked at the product development department developing green techniques in production aimed at reducing the effect of the industrial process on the environment and... (VP again)
Me: was explaining ,in between he asked for salary and I told him I was volunteering. Then he tells me to continue.
Before I could finish the next statement all I heard was I'm sorry this paper explains why I couldn't grant your visa, you're free to reapply. Reaches for the blue paper and gave it to me.

Really I was frustrated though after the interview. I was blank till I got home. I agreed with Twoods on a particular post about the top schools, but still this School has a very good opportunity within and I had scholarship from them too.
But please @Twoods @lagosismyhome and every other person who would constructively criticize me I need your help . I might have said something wrong during my interview please be a light to this path.

I'm new to this thread but have sufficient experience in this. Bro, sincerely, you've said nothing wrong as there's no right or wrong answers. It's just about the delivery of your answers. As a potential graduate student, much is expected of you and you'll be held to those 'high-standards'. Again, I think you said the right things but, you need to be saying what they need to hear.

In the U.S, Graduate students are considered 'semi-professionals' and as a such, your verbiage and terminologies utilized are very imperative. During the course of your conversation regarding your past engagements (NYSC, Volunteer etc..) you should make use of professional terminologies and verbiage relating to that field to appear as a 'qualified' candidate.

Make sure you re-apply ASAP before the Spring'18 semester starts in Jan.'18 (Shows your determination and persistence)Just revisit the whole convo you had with the VO and try and scrutinize (devil-advocate) yourself on what you said right but could have worded better.
I know you'll do better next time. Good luck!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by paulavon: 6:33pm On Dec 12, 2017
They require just one passport photograph. Print same one you uploaded in your Ds-160 form.
Frankaka8:
pls is 2 passports photograph important for f1 applicant??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 6:51pm On Dec 12, 2017
dayoseun70:

I’m not sure what else to tell you other than to try again. I read through your transcript a couple of times, it seems that you answered the questions ok. Again my concern goes back to choice of school. Why point park (which is a liberal arts college) but not univ of Pittsburgh which is bigger and more widely recognized? Going to schools with lax admissions requirements just opens you up to these kind of questions.

Have you ever heard a VO ask a kid admitted to Harvard or Yale how many other schools they applied to?

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by jerrypeacelinks(m): 6:57pm On Dec 12, 2017
dayoseun70:

I was thinking the sentence in BOLD meant TELL ME ABOUT YOUR STUDY PLAN... Who agrees with me?

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by biikeys(m): 7:04pm On Dec 12, 2017
dayoseun70:

I wouldn't be surprised if the VO checked went to the university website him/herself and some something contradicting your claim about the school's GRE requirement.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 7:05pm On Dec 12, 2017
dayoseun70:

Seems you answer the questions right even though there is no right or wrong answer. The VO probably made his/her decision based on your choice or school and not writing GRE. For him to ask again about GRE, it means he was probably checking online. This is the problem with applying to schools with soft admission requirements. The best you can do is apply again. Its not the end of the world.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 7:06pm On Dec 12, 2017
biikeys:

I wouldn't be surprised if the VO checked went to the university website him/herself and some something contradicting your claim about the school's GRE requirement.
ofcourse he did
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by flairlady(f): 7:16pm On Dec 12, 2017
paulavon:
They require just one passport photograph. Print same one you uploaded in your Ds-160 form.
It has to be same one uploaded on the Ds-160?is that a must please?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by RoninSignals: 7:22pm On Dec 12, 2017
okonlahwon:
please OOO! i need help i was late to us embassy lagos on 5th Dec,2017 for F1 and i was turn back to re book appointment after 3days..now the latest available time is 25th jan,2018....the school resumes on 8th Jan2018. plesase I DONT KNOW WAT TO DO!
I know things do happen sometimes, I wouldn't judge you. I once attended EducationUSA General public Programme. it comprises of two sections - educationUS officials speaks and any invite VO too.
The VO mentioned preferences given to student with Regards to booking appointments,he said they have the power to squeeze out spaces for students with similar situation.you can contact the US embassy's call center I belief they should be able to proffer solution to your problem.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 7:22pm On Dec 12, 2017
biikeys:

Even I checked. It’s an accelerated 11 month program. Quite different from the traditional 24 month masters program. It’s not clear why he chose this program but not others.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by RoninSignals: 7:38pm On Dec 12, 2017
good evening house, I need TOEFL and GRE materials.. help your boy oo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by paulavon: 7:40pm On Dec 12, 2017
There are lots of good community colleges in Texas you can apply to in addition to HCC. Through ApplyTexas the applications are free so why will you apply to just one school?You can take a look at Lee college, Texas state technical college and San Jacinto college.
Niv25:
hello guys...I intend starting my application by January next year...and I intend applying to only one community college which is HCC...I hope that won't be a problem..after making my inquiries and research I made up my mind to go with the school...I hope that won't raise a suspicion..Again I intend applying with my high school results...pls I you guys advice and suggestion..�

@ Twoods, @EZEIGBO, will really appreciate you GUYS candid advice TOO

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by GraceofGodfollo: 7:40pm On Dec 12, 2017
smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by texrem(m): 7:42pm On Dec 12, 2017
Beautyaddy:

Yeah Right! How do you know that?

I know the bitter truth hurts...lol!

Tell the house if that's what you used?

Nobody should come down here and keep tarnishing our image as Nigerians. This is a public forum, you don't mess it up with assumptions and unconfirmed info.

All i want is keep everything on low key, unless you can prove we do on this forum.. As far as i am concern, people on this forum are sane.

Everybody, keep your head up and do what is right!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by morgandy(m): 7:52pm On Dec 12, 2017
Hi people,

I've been on this thread for a while and finally my interview is this week.

I've been trying to reach guys for mock interviews but none is forthcoming yet.

So based on likely questions I've seen here, I decided to type out possible answers to likely VO questions.

My Presumed Interview

VO: Pass your documents(i-20, passport and Sevis)
Me: I do as instructed

VO: why are you going the US?
Me: To further my education in Msc of computer information systems at Cleveland state university

VO: Why CSU
me: Ans1: It has a cooperative and experiential educational program which integrate classroom experience into real life it has a small student body that will help me adjust in the educational system in america faster.

VO: What will this course do for you?
Me: it will equip me with the technical know-how which is needed to excel in my field, which i will in turn use for the industrial development of my country, it will also help turn around the fortune of my company which will equate higher salary

VO: How many schools did you apply to?
Me: 3 namely Ohio state university, Cleveland state university and California university of management.

VO: How many admitted you?
Me: 2

VO: Where do you work and what do you do?
Me: I work with XYZ networking company as a NOC engineer where i remotely monitor company base station, configuration of LTE,WIMAX radio visitation and maintenance of company base station, remote troubleshooting of client network both enterprise and personal link

VO: who is your sponsor?
me: my dad he is bla bla

VO: Are you married?
Me: No

Expected outcome: Please take this White Paper and get out of Nigeria! smiley

Please I will appreciate your critique, correction and advice. How best should I arrange the answers?

I look forward to your replies.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:55pm On Dec 12, 2017
texrem:

Nobody should come down here and keep tarnishing our image as Nigerians. This is a public forum, you don't mess it up with assumptions and unconfirmed info.

All i want is keep everything on low key, unless you can prove we do on this forum.. As far as i am concern, people on this forum are sane.

I know right ... some people just need to receive sense.

Baseless comments makes it harder for incoming... think people before you comment . Please i beg you

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dayoseun70: 7:55pm On Dec 12, 2017
Thanks Alot I really appreciate this
And I do understand your point I would take note of this.
Follysho707:

I'm new to this thread but have sufficient experience in this. Bro, sincerely, you've said nothing wrong as there's no right or wrong answers. It's just about the delivery of your answers. As a potential graduate student, much is expected of you and you'll be held to those 'high-standards'. Again, I think you said the right things but, you need to be saying what they need to hear.

In the U.S, Graduate students are considered 'semi-professionals' and as a such, your verbiage and terminologies utilized are very imperative. During the course of your conversation regarding your past engagements (NYSC, Volunteer etc..) you should make use of professional terminologies and verbiage relating to that field to appear as a 'qualified' candidate.

Make sure you re-apply ASAP before the Spring'18 semester starts in Jan.'18 (Shows your determination and persistence)Just revisit the whole convo you had with the VO and try and scrutinize (devil-advocate) yourself on what you said right but could have worded better.
I know you'll do better next time. Good luck!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sirhamilton(m): 7:56pm On Dec 12, 2017
texrem:

You got mail!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by gbaby4live: 8:09pm On Dec 12, 2017
morgandy:
Hi people,

I've been on this thread for a while and finally my interview is this week.

I've been trying to reach guys for mock interviews but none is forthcoming yet.

So based on likely questions I've seen here, I decided to type out possible answers to likely VO questions.

My Presumed Interview

VO: Pass your documents(i-20, passport and Sevis)
Me: I do as instructed

VO: why are you going the US?
Me: To futher my education in computer information systems at Cleveland state university

VO: Why CSU
me: Ans1: It has a cooperative and experiential educational program which integrate classroom experience into real life it has a small student body that will help me adjust in the educational system in america faster.

VO: What will this course do for you?
Me: it will equip me with the technical know-how which is needed in my field, which i will in turn use for the industria development of my country, it will also help turn around the fortune of my company which will equate higher salary

VO: How many schools did you apply to?
Me: 3 namely Ohio state university, Cleveland state university and California university of management.

VO: Where do you work and what do you do?
Me: I work with XYZ networking company as a NOC engineer where i remotely monitor company base station, configuration of LTE,WIMAX radio visitation and maintenance of company base station, remote troubleshooting of client network both enterprise and personal link

VO: who is your sponsor?
me: my dad he is bla bla

VO: Are you married?
Me: No

Expected outcome: Please take this White Paper and get out of Nigeria! smiley

Please I will appreciate your critique, correction and advice. How best should I arrange the answers?

I look forward to your replies.

Is it that you forgot or you don't wanna include the degree you are looking forward to...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dayoseun70: 8:13pm On Dec 12, 2017
femi312:
Seems you answer the questions right even though there is no right or wrong answer. The VO probably made his/her decision based on your choice or school and not writing GRE. For him to ask again about GRE, it means he was probably checking online. This is the problem with applying to schools with soft admission requirements. The best you can do is apply again. Its not the end of the world.

Yes I agree with you on this too bro, I've learnt my lessons the hard way though. But I liked the school and that's the truth I must say this. But what do you advice I do on this, reapply or forgo and do something bigger
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by dayoseun70: 8:16pm On Dec 12, 2017
TWoods:

I’m not sure what else to tell you other than to try again. I read through your transcript a couple of times, it seems that you answered the questions ok. Again my concern goes back to choice of school. Why point park (which is a liberal arts college) but not univ of Pittsburgh which is bigger and more widely recognized? Going to schools with lax admissions requirements just opens you up to these kind of questions.

Have you ever heard a VO ask a kid admitted to Harvard or Yale how many other schools they applied to?

Yes sir, you are definitely right about this. But please give me a sincere advice should I really reapply or wait and do every other thing. I had a 4.01/5.0 from FUTA
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by morgandy(m): 8:18pm On Dec 12, 2017
thank you @gbaby
gbaby4live:

Is that you forgot or you don't wanna include the degree you are looking forward to...

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by lionlee216(m): 8:26pm On Dec 12, 2017
@ Philadelphia, i sight you. I thought you chop ban before
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by texrem(m): 8:31pm On Dec 12, 2017
sirhamilton:

You got mail!

Seen! Hit me up this weekend.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.