Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,617 members, 7,823,702 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

What Went Wrong With This Christmas Season - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Went Wrong With This Christmas Season (958 Views)

What Are You Giving Yourself This Christmas? / What Are You Gifting Yourself This Christmas? / Nairalanders Whose Pre-Wedding Pictures Went Viral Welcome A Baby Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Went Wrong With This Christmas Season by ifyan(m): 11:11am On Dec 11, 2017
I still can't come to terms with the fact that we are in that month of celebration and I don't have the slightest feeling of excitement that comes with it. Nobody is anticipating Christmas. Everyone looking angry and indifferent. Everyone seems to have one problem or the other. Nobody is ready for excessive spending, all of a sudden we turned wise savers or am I too over grown?
Our mothers would go to the market to buy us Christmas clothes and shoes. I and my sibling would stand very close to the door paying attention to any thing that sounded like a knock. Several times we got disappointed. We would shout on Kelechi for his unwanted visit and the way he knocked on the door like our mother would. He was confused. He would leave wondering what he did that got his playmates so Livid. We cleaned the house like a guy expecting a new catch so that mummy won't have a reason not to give us our Christmas clothes. 'This Children are already sleeping' my mother mutters as she enters the house. We jumped off the couch and ran to mummy. We attacked her like highway robbers, collected the bags and dug into the contents, tested the clothes and refused to pull it off. We sometimes went to bed with our new clothes.
Those days it would be unwise to shop by this time of the year because prices of things would have doubled. Women screaming on top of their voices in the market. Chickens looking helpless in their cage awaiting death sentence. Mischievous Children using Knockouts to scare Girls. Most of us can still remember that long black stick that shines Light for about 15 seconds and goes off. We were amazed and we ended up buying more sticks with our pocket money.
There was nothing like tribal or religious segregation on Christmas day. No Ibibio man, No Yoruba Man, No esan woman, no Christians No Muslims. Differences were immediately settled and died a natural death at the sight of your neighbour standing in front of your door with a bowl of Jollof Rice and Chicken. We would parade the neighbourhood in our new clothes with those plastic glasses and Wrist-watches. Our parents Never looked for us; they just knew we were safe.. We watched the movie "Home Alone" countless times without getting bored, we believe Santa Claus existed. Though we call it father Christmas here in Nigeria LOL
There was enough to eat and drink. Today is the direct opposite of what we use to know. Any family that eats a bowl of Beans and Plantain will be so happy they have something to eat at least. Your neighbour may appear in your house with 3 Gala and Zobo and be like "My sister help me manage am e go better". Parents will now have a huge task convincing their kids that the clothes they wore during easter is still very beautiful. My Igbo neighbours would be spending Christmas in lagos for the first time in 10 years. Who's buying Chicken? They come up with stories like Chicken is high in fat, fish is nutritional. Any girl that looses her hair now will pack it like that till new year. I miss the Good old days! I miss Christmas!
- Victor

Copied from Facebook
Re: What Went Wrong With This Christmas Season by duduade: 11:12am On Dec 11, 2017
No money is what has happened....

The rich getting richer

The poor getting wretched
Re: What Went Wrong With This Christmas Season by ifyan(m): 11:16am On Dec 11, 2017
Parents in the house come and tell us what went wrong because l am sure went you were little, yours was fun but now despite Christmas haven't reach or come to an end l am not feeling or seeing any thing to say we are in Christmas season unlike what we use to experience back then.
Re: What Went Wrong With This Christmas Season by nairalandbuzz(m): 11:16am On Dec 11, 2017
The fear of Buhari is the cause
Re: What Went Wrong With This Christmas Season by ifyan(m): 11:17am On Dec 11, 2017
@duduade

Don't tell me you aren't preparing anything for the kids.
Re: What Went Wrong With This Christmas Season by ifyan(m): 11:20am On Dec 11, 2017
@nairalandbuzz

It's once a year naa

Our children ought to be in high,joyful, exciting spirit etc.

You know how you (we)celebrated yours (ours) then
Re: What Went Wrong With This Christmas Season by Homeboiy: 11:42am On Dec 11, 2017
Maybe in your hood

Here in my hood its getting hot

Gunshots n not knockouts sounding everywhere
Re: What Went Wrong With This Christmas Season by HallaDaTruth: 11:42am On Dec 11, 2017
APC : CHAAAAAAAANGE
Re: What Went Wrong With This Christmas Season by gentle136(m): 12:15pm On Dec 11, 2017
Nigeria economy went wrong to wrong d xmas.
No job, no payment of salaries, business is not moving.

Dis xmas is going to be d worst xmas of my life am sad to type dis cry but it's d utmost truth.

I can't wait 4 my dear country to be in good shape again.
Re: What Went Wrong With This Christmas Season by ifyan(m): 12:23pm On Dec 11, 2017
@Homeboiy

I hope not your hood alone but U and your people took

Enjoy from another bro.
Re: What Went Wrong With This Christmas Season by CakezbyMarie: 9:11pm On Dec 11, 2017
The problem starts with B, ends with I cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: What Went Wrong With This Christmas Season by ifyan(m): 10:38am On Dec 12, 2017
I will love you guys to type in your experience as a kid so that indomie generation can see what de miss

(1) (Reply)

Fireman 3kv Used Generator For Sale / What Exactly Is The Importance Of HUMILITY? / Triplets Meets Their Mother In Hospital After Delivery Of Their Baby Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.