Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

Gross But Educative (You've Probably Experienced It) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Gross But Educative (You've Probably Experienced It) (1884 Views)

A New Mental Disorder You've Probably Never Heard Of! / Lost My Sense, Of Smell And Taste Who Else Experienced It? / 10 Morning Wood (Erection) Facts You Probably Didn't Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gross But Educative (You've Probably Experienced It) by Nobody: 1:41am On Dec 14, 2017
WHAT ARE TONSIL STONES?

Tonsil stones, or tonsilloliths, are hard white or yellow formations that are located on or within the tonsils.

It’s common for people with tonsil stones to not even realize they have them. Tonsil stones aren’t always easy to see and they can range from rice-sized to the size of a large grape. Tonsil stones rarely cause larger health complications. However, sometimes they can grow into larger formations that can cause your tonsils to swell, and they often have an unpleasant odor.

How do Tonsil Stones Form?

Your tonsils are made up of crevices, tunnels, and pits called tonsil crypts. Different types of debris, such as dead cells, mucus, saliva, and food, can get trapped in these pockets and build up. Bacteria and fungi feed on this buildup and cause a distinct odor.

The formation of tonsil stones is caused by an accumulation of sulfur-producing bacteria and debris that become lodged in the tonsils. The debris may include food particles and mucus from postnasal drip. This matter decays in the back of the throat and collects in the small crevices (crypts) on the surface of the tonsils. The affected area attracts additional debris and after enough accumulates, it begins to calcify, resulting in hard white or yellow formations. In some cases, a single large stone will form on a tonsil, while in other cases, multiple small stones will appear. The debris that comprises a tonsil stone comes from many sources, but does not require the presence of a tonsil infection to form. While tonsil stones may be or may not result from tonsil inflammation, there is evidence they occur more frequently in people who have repeated bouts of tonsillitis.

Tonsil Stone Diagnosis
Tonsil stones are often not visible to the naked eye because tonsils have twists and folds that provide a hiding place for stones to form. The organic nature of the stones also makes them difficult to detect. Due to their small size and the structure of the tonsils, they may not be visible, even when the mouth is wide open. Tonsil stones are often diagnosed coincidentally during dental x-rays or CT scans.

Tonsil Stone Symptoms
After a period of time, it is not uncommon to cough up small, hard whitish spheres, which are stones that have dislodged from your tonsils. Tonsil stones are not as hard as organic stones and will not cause damage if swallowed accidentally.

When tonsil stones combine with the volatile sulfur compounds produced by bacteria beneath the surface of the tongue, they can cause chronic and severe bad breath (halitosis). If you have bad breath that does not improve with the use of regular toothpastes, mouthwashes and other products, you may have tonsil stones. The stones may cause difficulty swallowing, especially when they are large or the tonsils are inflamed.

Some patients don't notice the formation of stones in their mouths, and the stones may remain asymptomatic, even as they harden. The size and placement of the tonsil stones dictate the symptoms to a large degree. In many patients, there are a number of cardinal symptoms that can indicate tonsil stones, including:

A sore throat or feeling that the throat is restricted

Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)

Coughing or choking

Persistent ear pain due to shared nerve
pathways

Foul and long-lasting bad breath that is not related to food or morning breath

Metallic taste in the mouth

Visible white spots when large stones emerge from the tonsil crevices

Tonsil inflammation and swelling

Dizziness (rare)

Tonsil Stone Prevention
Most people whose tonsils have been removed will not develop tonsil stones. However, having tonsils removed is not a practical or optimal solution in most cases. Tonsil removal in children is relatively risk-free. However, adults who undergo tonsillectomies often experience longer recuperation times, greater pain, and occasional problems resulting from adverse anesthesia reactions.

Unless tonsil stones are manually removed or prevented, bad breath will persist. This problem may become so severe that a person is too ashamed to interact with friends or family. Fortunately, there are several things you can do to help prevent tonsil stones from forming without having your tonsils removed.

Tips for Reducing the Formation of Tonsil Stones

Brush your teeth and tongue twice a day

Rinse your mouth with an oxygenating
mouthwash

Drink water after a meal to wash down food particles that may remain in the throat

Irrigate the tonsils weekly with an oral irrigator to prevent debris and bacteria from accumulating in tonsil crevices

Clean nasal passages to decrease postnasal drip, an underlying cause of tonsil stones

Limit dairy products in your diet because these foods are rich in the protein anaerobic bacteria thrive on

Avoid excessive alcohol consumption because alcohol is a diuretic and causes dry mouth.

Re: Gross But Educative (You've Probably Experienced It) by Nobody: 12:07am On Jan 26, 2018
Who's having this experience?
Re: Gross But Educative (You've Probably Experienced It) by Norabay(f): 9:31pm On May 09, 2018
I
Re: Gross But Educative (You've Probably Experienced It) by Nobody: 8:25am On Mar 15, 2020
HI i have tonsil stone any cure for it please i will appreciate homemade remedy.

Hello!

1 Like

Re: Gross But Educative (You've Probably Experienced It) by Percival9(m): 12:28pm On Jan 17, 2021
MikeAterezzi:
HI i have tonsil stone any cure for it please i will appreciate homemade remedy.

Hello!
none ooo

U need tonsilectomy to remove them 150k

They make breath smell like shit undecided
Re: Gross But Educative (You've Probably Experienced It) by BirdPHS: 3:12pm On Jan 17, 2021
MikeAterezzi:

Hello!

You need tonsillectomy to remove them.

I only treat genital warts.
Check my signature if need me.
Re: Gross But Educative (You've Probably Experienced It) by Oralissue10: 8:20am On Jun 21, 2021
BirdPHS:

You need tonsillectomy to remove them.

I only treat genital warts.
Check my signature if need me.
Do you know the cost of tonsil removal
Re: Gross But Educative (You've Probably Experienced It) by Norabay(f): 1:58pm On Jun 28, 2021
PLS any home remedy for it

(1) (Reply)

Superlife Cures / MLSCN Has Mandate To Regulate Ivds' And Laboratory Equipments Importation. / R. Brown Adult Diapers (large Size) In Large Quantity For The Cheapest Price Eve

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.