Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,448 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:48 AM

5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 (3002 Views)

6 Singers Who Became Popular Through The Influence Of Olamide / 10 Nollywood Stars Whose Stage Names Became Popular Than Their Real Names / Ghanaian Actors Who Became Popular Through Nollywood! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by TourismMan(m): 1:29pm On Dec 14, 2017
Ok, let's digress a bit from political and economic downsides in the country and dwell a little on those whose social media has helped made them popular in 2017. These are people who have become popular in 2017 due to their constant engagement on social media for whatever reasons. In no particular order, let's start...

1) Daddy Freeze: This personality became popular in the country due to his constant activities on social media primarily aimed at kicking against payment of tithes to pastors especially billionaire pastors in the country who have owned private jets and fleet of cars already but the members who pay the said tithes live in penury. It was a joke when he started it but today, everyone talks about Daddy Freeze and tithing. His constant videos on Instagram and other social media platforms gave him this popularity. He may have been an OAP but what actually gave him this fame nationally emanated from his constant posts on Instagram against pastors taking home the entire tithe paid by members of the church.

2) HushPuppi: The assumed Malaysian based Nigerian big boy became popular due to his constant flaunting of riches on Instagram which caught the attention of Nigerians and before you said Jack Robinson, he was a very famous personality. Another scenario that brought him to popularity was when he accused Phyno and Kcee to be wearing fake wristwatches but how would someone like me know if the wristwatches were fake or not when all I have bought in this my poor life is Aba Made?

3) Odunlade Adekola: He may have been a Yoruba Nollywood actor but most of us who are not Yoruba descendants never knew about the existence of such personality in movie or anywhere else. What actually brought the young man to nationwide fame is the meme he creates constantly which have been dominating social media platforms throughout the year.

4) Dino Melaye: Dino may have been a senator but only few Nigerians know about him but the controversial senator became widely popular due to his constant controversial posts and flaunting of wealth especially exotic cars on his social media handles.

5) Bobrisky: This gay uses social media to his advantage as he became popular through the platform. The controversial man/woman constantly posts things I cannot type here which he gained popularity from.

If you have any, feel free to add yours.

P.S. As I type this, 1naira is not in my account as shown below but many financial problems at hand to solve. If you are touched to put a smile on someone's face today and on this Christmas, pls drop whatever amount you can in the account (0004762679). We all know how hard the country is to some of us. So blame me not for this open appeal for financial assistance. God bless you.
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by davostar: 1:30pm On Dec 14, 2017
okay cheesy
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by emmanuelrabb(m): 1:34pm On Dec 14, 2017
This list is incomplete without the bleached body Toke Makinwa, Mompha (Huspuppi's Ex-Friends), etc..
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by Nobody: 1:38pm On Dec 14, 2017
Odunlade became popular because of his memes? Are you okay?

Freeze didn't become popular because of his anti-tithe movement, he only became more popular. There is a difference, alright? undecided
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by mazimee(m): 1:42pm On Dec 14, 2017
Mariinee:

Freeze didn't become popular because of his anti-tithe movement, he only became more popular. There is a difference, alright? undecided

You think na everybody dey watch Nigerian movie, talk more of yoruba one? I never knew that Odunlade was an actor, Nairaland commentors fed me with that information. I knew him from his memes
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by debssycharles(f): 1:43pm On Dec 14, 2017
More
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by sweetmaami(f): 2:02pm On Dec 14, 2017
Mariinee:

Exactly....

And dino have been popular right from his days in the green chambers to his anti corruption crusade, so he too shouldn't be on that list
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by falcon01: 2:02pm On Dec 14, 2017
Mariinee:

i knew odunlade from his memes
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by Threebear(m): 2:07pm On Dec 14, 2017
Op Adjust your title to more popular. I visited osun state about 3 days ago, it's ridiculous to see how popular odudanle was. Every store or billboard had his poster, social media didn't do Jack for him, it only made his meme famous.
You were spot on on the bleached tyranny though, along with hushdog.
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by Nobody: 2:14pm On Dec 14, 2017
falcon01:
i knew odunlade from his memes
That doesn't mean he wasn't popular. You are the one who didn't know him.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by Nobody: 2:16pm On Dec 14, 2017
mazimee:

You think na everybody dey watch Nigerian movie, talk more of yoruba one? I never knew that Odunlade was an actor, Nairaland commentors fed me with that information. I knew him from his memes
You, not everyone. I didn't know Juliet Ibrahim before until I came across her on NL. Does that mean she wasn't popular? No.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by mazimee(m): 2:21pm On Dec 14, 2017
Mariinee:
You, not everyone. I didn't know Juliet Ibrahim before until I came across her on NL. Does that mean she wasn't popular? No.

Odunlade is not that popular as you are trying to make him look. If he has any form of Popularity, he owns it to the memes
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by TourismMan(m): 2:24pm On Dec 14, 2017
Mariinee:

Some of us never knew him from anywhere before. His memes made him popular to us.
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by Nobody: 2:25pm On Dec 14, 2017
mazimee:

Odunlade is not that popular as you are trying to make him look. If he has any form of Popularity, he owns it to the memes
He actually is. Where did the memes come from? His movies. How did people get their hand on the memes if they didn't watch the movies?

1 Like

Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by Nobody: 2:26pm On Dec 14, 2017
TourismMan:

Some of us never knew him from anywhere before. His memes made him popular to us.
The point is Odunlade's memes didn't make him popular. They made him more popular and viral. He doesn't owe bis popularity to his memes ahbeg.

1 Like

Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by TourismMan(m): 2:27pm On Dec 14, 2017
sweetmaami:

Exactly....

And dino have been popular right from his days in the green chambers to his anti corruption crusade, so he too shouldn't be on that list

Most people came to know Dino during his time of recall earlier in the year
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by TourismMan(m): 2:30pm On Dec 14, 2017
Threebear:
Op Adjust your title to more popular. I visited osun state about 3 days ago, it's ridiculous to see how popular odudanle was. Every store or billboard had his poster, social media didn't do Jack for him, it only made his meme famous.
You were spot on on the bleached tyranny though, along with hushdog.

You said in Osun state but we are considering Nigeria in this context. There is a difference.
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by TourismMan(m): 2:34pm On Dec 14, 2017
Mariinee:
That doesn't mean he wasn't popular. You are the one who didn't know him.

So if you mention names like Yim Iyke, Ini Edo, Mercy Johnson etc within Nigeria, do people still need to ask you who are they? Meanwhile before now, if you mentioned Odunlade Adekola, people would ask you who he is?
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by Nobody: 2:36pm On Dec 14, 2017
TourismMan:

So if you mention names like Yim Iyke, Ini Edo, Mercy Johnson etc within Nigeria, do people still need to ask you who are they? Meanwhile before now, if you mentioned Odunlade Adekola, people would ask you who he is?
How many people? Please, stop trying to prove a point that isn't founded.
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by TourismMan(m): 2:42pm On Dec 14, 2017
Mariinee:
How many people? Please, stop trying to prove a point that isn't founded.

I can tell you beyond Yoruba land, people would ask who Odunlade is. Point is, he may have been popular in Yoruba land, not in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by Nobody: 2:46pm On Dec 14, 2017
TourismMan:

I can tell you beyond Yoruba land, people would ask who Odunlade is. Point is, he may have been popular in Yoruba land, not in Nigeria
Cool. But he was popular, right? Bingo.
And it's not necessarily about being popular in Yorubaland. Odun was popular but his memes made him go viral. It's as simple as that.
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by Threebear(m): 2:46pm On Dec 14, 2017
TourismMan:

You said in Osun state but we are considering Nigeria in this context. There is a difference.
Don't sound daft, I gave you an example with Osun state, that does not mean I meant he was only popular in Osun state. That was an allusion to his popularity in the Yoruba, middle belt and some part of the north where social media is not exactly popular.
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by mazimee(m): 2:54pm On Dec 14, 2017
Mariinee:
He actually is. Where did the memes come from? His movies. How did people get their hand on the memes if they didn't watch the movies?

Using your logic, if I watch a movie of one random guy and screen shot some potential memes from it, posts on Nairaland and twitter and it goes viral, boom the random guy was popular before the memes because I watched and liked his movie?

1 Like

Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by earthsync(f): 3:03pm On Dec 14, 2017
nawa o. so freeze became popular for calling pastors out freeze has always been popular, the man is one of the most popular OAP and sometimes host Ay show. undecided

Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by TourismMan(m): 3:19pm On Dec 14, 2017
Threebear:

Don't sound daft, I gave you an example with Osun state, that does not mean I meant he was only popular in Osun state. That was an allusion to his popularity in the Yoruba, middle belt and some part of the north where social media is not exactly popular.

Unfortunately the daft ones like you are those who are quick to call others daft and other unprintable names. The topic referred to Nigeria and you made your points surrounding Osun state and I countered such giving generality of Nigeria in the context but all your shallow brain could bring out next is to call someone whom you don't even know daft. I don't argue extensively with people of your type, so have a great day Mr.

1 Like

Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by Threebear(m): 3:33pm On Dec 14, 2017
TourismMan:

Unfortunately the daft ones like you are those who are quick to call others daft and other unprintable names. The topic referred to Nigeria and you made your points surrounding Osun state and I countered such giving generality of Nigeria in the context but all your shallow brain could bring out next is to call someone whom you don't even know daft. I don't argue extensively with people of your type, so have a great day Mr.
No sir the daft one is you.
People can be popular in some regions and not as popular in others. The names you mentioned like daddy freeze isn't exactly popular outside social media, daddy freeze or hushpuppi won't be walking along the street and have numerous fans trudging to get autographs, so dear sir, your post was soiled from the get go. If you do not understand the point I'm trying to make, then you truly do not deserve to be argued with.
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by Yemiie: 4:07pm On Dec 14, 2017
Lasisi elenu undecided
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by owem19(m): 6:25pm On Dec 14, 2017
Buhari
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by donblade85555(m): 7:24pm On Dec 14, 2017
Mariinee:

odunlade became popular bcaz of his meme.. here in the south we don't know any of his movies.
maybe his movies are popular in the west

2 Likes

Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by agadez007(m): 9:09pm On Dec 14, 2017
That Odukola guys popularity is restricted to the Southwest only,I don't think a Non Nairalander Somewhere In Owerri would know him,if he was to walk around (Let's say) South south or the East am sure People would not even take notice of him except for those who have lived in Lagos
Re: 5 Persons who became popular through Social Media In 2017 by honey001(m): 9:38pm On Dec 14, 2017
What of Evans

(1) (2) (Reply)

#BBNaijaAudition: Popular slay queen Simply Tacha spotted on queue / Pictures From Encomium Magazine Black N White Party / Fatai Rolling Dollar Confessed To His Wife Before He Died

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.