Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,790 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:00 PM

Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year (26993 Views)

Law Graduate Shares Sultry Photo To Celebrate Her Call To Bar / Amasa Firdaus: Why I Wore The Hijab Intentionally To Bar Ceremony / Nigerians React To The Hijab-Wearing Law Graduate Who Wasn't Called To Bar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by mu2sa2: 11:30am On Dec 17, 2017
aybabz101:
this ppl self. there are rules and regulations guiding an established institution. for now, d rule is if u ar to be called to bar, do not put on any form of vail.
mind u no b for only Muslims o. it includes christians, judaist, and traditional worshippers. A reverend sister had to remove her vail b4 she was called to bar.

if u like come next yr with ur hijab, na u no go b able to practice. u ar not d first muslim lady to b calld to bar n u wont b d last. i dont know mayb Allah has refused to answer d prayers of previous muslim ladies dat hav been calld to bar or they were chased out of heaven because dey remove their hijab to b calld to bar......dey go jst dey explode small issue.
The lady is saying the "rules & regulations" are inconsistent with the constitutionally guaranteed right of freedom to practice ones religion (hijab is decent dressing enjoined by her religion). They must resolve this first. The lady is fighting a cause and her courage is salutary, even though bigotry and sheer stup.idity have blinded some of her critics.
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by bigK001: 11:33am On Dec 17, 2017
Blue3k:
Dumb move they will simply not call you yo bar. All these women know from day one what dress code is and they want to complain. You don't have to be a lawyer.

And that is the end of the world baa?
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by FriendNG: 11:34am On Dec 17, 2017
Bari22:

Wai dama Hausa ne Kai?
Dafa? Tutaninka Yoruba?
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by Angelyna(f): 11:42am On Dec 17, 2017
We are all watching... But I decree as the true daughter of zion, any attempt from anybody either a Muslim or a Christian or a pagan to cause religion Wahala in this nation will never succeed in the name of Jesus Christ amen. Whosoever derive joy in war between religions, the Almighty God will strike them dead instantly. Amen
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by newoffer: 11:48am On Dec 17, 2017
Stubborn things. I think they gave herbs of insanity from childhood
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by Nasiruddeen(m): 11:49am On Dec 17, 2017
In a multi cultural and multi religious society like Nigeria, violation of basic rights breeds chaos and disobedience.

While discrimination, especially on the basis of religion causes disunity among people, sentiments on the other hand, causes fracture and motivate the feeling of revenge.

This is why every lover of peace and unity must at all times, be sensitive to the basic rights of others and not be seen as obstacle for no just cause.

Following my publication on the hijab controversy at the Nigerian law school few days ago, titled ‘’Nigerian Law School and the need for change’’, several people had reached out to me to give their views on the subject matter. In view of the numerous messages, I feel that i owe them further explanation in the interest of public good. So, this publication is a follow up to the first one, hoping that people might learn to understand the implication of their actions and its effect on peaceful coexistence, which will directly or indirectly have effect on their own living.

Apart from the fact that hijab is a legal right, already upheld in several court in the country, what we are contending with is our level of intolerance, discrimination and sentiments, not for any personal good or benefit, but for the satisfaction of bias.
The idea that people who share different faith, culture or tradition must not be accommodated or their rights not be protected is a fundamental flaw in our reasoning that must not be left unchallenged. This is an archaic reasoning in all ramifications.

For example, in February 2017, the Court of Appeal Lagos Division dismissed an application filed by the Lagos State Government seeking an injunction to suspend Hijab use by Muslim female pupils in public schools. While dismissing the suite, the Judge held that the ban on hijab was discriminatory. The panel upheld the contention that the ban violated their rights to freedom of thought, conscience, religion, dignity of human persons and freedom from discrimination guaranteed by the 1999 Constitution. So, there is no argument on whether or not, hijab is a right. The contention is about our level of intolerance, discrimination and sentiments.

When I see people opposing the use of hijab, I ask myself only one question. On what basis are they opposing it? Does wearing hijab by one person, infringes the right of the other person who don’t want to wear it? If not, how does the person who enjoys the right of not using hijab, justify his or her opposition to those who want to wear it? Only one answer surfaces here and it is intolerance.

Unfortunately, by opposing hijab, you are not fighting for your own right, but instead, fighting against the right of others. This is really a dangerous mindset, not against the people you oppose per se, but against your own self, because the same reasoning you use to justify your opposition to the rights of others will be brought into the quality of decisions you make for yourself.

But here is even a greater danger. When you oppose the right of others for no sane reason or benefits to you, they will also oppose you for no sane reason or benefit to them when the opportunity comes. Both of you would then continue to oppose each other for no sane reason, thereby leading to unnecessary tension, suspicion and even violence. This is what has breed insecurity in our country. The unnecessary suspicion manifest in virtually every aspect of our lives and it continues to escalate and breed tension even in the most unexpected places.

I have observed over the years that most of the conflicts we have in Nigeria are not real conflicts, they are mostly unnecessary conflicts born out of nothing and to achieve nothing. More importantly, they cannot be resolved, because they are nothing. You cannot resolve nothing, when there is nothing. Our conflicts are imaginary, born out of psychological misconception and the need to oppose others for opposition sake. This is why even those who claimed to be human right activists or lawyers fall into this ditch of inconsistency without seeing their bias. From claiming to be proponent of rule of law, they will take a 360 degree U-turn against the right of others and still feel the need to justify their absurdity.

For example, just few months ago, we defended the right of a female Muslim Central Bank Deputy Governor Aisha Ahmad, who chooses not to wear hijab, but today, those who defended her right not to use hijab are the same set of people are opposing the right of another female Muslim, who chooses to wear hijab. How can one lady have the right not wear hijab, and the other won’t have the right to wear it? This is where the inconsistency in activism comes in. It appeared they are not really interested in the law or the rightness of an action, but merely taking a position that is only consistent with their sentiment, interest or affiliation at a particular time.

On a final note, let me remind us all that, if we oppose other peoples right because it infringes on our own right, this is understandable. If we also oppose other people’s practices because it prevents us from practicing ours, this may also be understandable. And even if we oppose the right of others because it affects our own interest, that maybe acceptable as well. But, what could never be understandable is the fact that, we oppose other people’s right, not because it infringes on ours or prevent us from enjoying our own interest, but simply because we do not want others to enjoy their own right. This is a disjointed reasoning that we must expunge from our society if we are to achieve cohesion, stability and tranquility.
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by LaClickLaBend: 11:52am On Dec 17, 2017
this is what happens when a country is deeply rooted in Religion. I weep for this country. Religion that is not your forefathers
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by abbasajao(m): 12:15pm On Dec 17, 2017
aybabz101:
this ppl self. there are rules and regulations guiding an established institution. for now, d rule is if u ar to be called to bar, do not put on any form of vail.
mind u no b for only Muslims o. it includes christians, judaist, and traditional worshippers. A reverend sister had to remove her vail b4 she was called to bar.

if u like come next yr with ur hijab, na u no go b able to practice. u ar not d first muslim lady to b calld to bar n u wont b d last. i dont know mayb Allah has refused to answer d prayers of previous muslim ladies dat hav been calld to bar or they were chased out of heaven because dey remove their hijab to b calld to bar......dey go jst dey explode small issue.

No offence please. Can any organization's rule and regulation violate a section of Nigeria constitution? Is Nigeria constitution not supersede any other regulations?
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by Nobody: 12:20pm On Dec 17, 2017
MrDude:
Why can't the sane world learn from the Japanese??

I want a country where Islam is ban! mosques demolish and Muslims kicked out of the country - giving them a chance to abandon their cult of course. 

JAPAN has NO TROUBLE at all with Islam: 1 mosque in the entire country, 10,000 Muslims in a population of 130 million; Muslims not allowed to own property or evangelise and are deported the minute they do something Islamic, such as protesting about Japanese culture.

Can't we LEARN something from the Japanese?

Before any mod move to hide this post let's us be clear to ourselves here, I have written fact!
Now you talk like a snail. Is like your brain is watery cos you've made no sense. Think before you talk next time. God bless you as you do so.
Not supporting the lady mind you.
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by valentineuwakwe(m): 12:26pm On Dec 17, 2017
why do we like making up issues in this country, hijab again...I think this will be the topic to reign till 2018...am asking is she the first Moslem student to be called to bar....what is wrong here to remove your hijab and wear the lawyer wigs and be called to bar...see me see case o...is it not unilorin you attended, a mix school or unilorin is now a Muslim university...does wearing a hijab an makes you holy or what? wen will all this nonsense stop in this country.....very soon a Christian law student go wear scarf to law school and refuse to remove it...

1 Like

Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by Nobody: 12:28pm On Dec 17, 2017
hillsate:

Every institution has its rules and regulations. You can impose your personal belief on any institution. If the rules and regulations of any institution is not in line with your personal belief, leave the institution alone and do something else. Nigeria is a secular nation and does not do the bidding of individuals.

The Amasa lady in question attended the call to bar dinner without Hijab. Why is she insisting on attending the swearing in with Hijab if she has no motive.

The regulation involving dressing in the law school is clear about Hijab. The law school is not against wearing it or did Amasa complain that she was not allowed to wear Hijab while in the school? The law school demands that the ears must be visible for the ceremony. Put on your Hijab but your ears must be visible.

There are sessions that require certain dress codes which am sure the lady knows. Why did she have to wait for the D day before beginning her protest? Are there write ups or petitions she has presented to the law school? Didn't she sign agreeing to abide by the rules and regulations of the law school?

For the Lady preparing to do hers next year, she should please begin testing her might at bar dinner.

Thank you very much. I usually read posts and comments on Nairaland as a guest but on this day I had to login in order to like your post. You said it all. This is the best post I've read pertaining to this topic.

1 Like

Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by Nobody: 12:28pm On Dec 17, 2017
potential terrorist!
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by bilms(m): 12:38pm On Dec 17, 2017
Dilish007:

Thank you very much. I usually read posts and comments on Nairaland as a guest but on this day I had to login in order to like your post. You said it all. This is the best post I've read pertaining to this topic.

No institution is above the law. Constitution is above them all.
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by phineas: 12:48pm On Dec 17, 2017
Another Ilorin person....
So Evil thrives when good men stay silent, thats the only reason I will speak on this matter.

As a legal practitioner,the lady who started this controversy should demonstrate that she had explored all legal and advocacy based solutions before her individual protest at the bar.

She must have written the school seeking permission
Petitioned the courts for the rights to wear her hijab under her wig
Written a letter to the Head of school
Raised a petition with 1000 signatuures

If she had done any of these or any thing at all to support her cause and was denied, then are actions are permissible and justified

If not, her actions fall in the category of lawlessness "capable of breaching the public peace". A learned one should know better and her education and graduating institution should be called to question. Afterall its about learning and character.

Peace is a fragile thing, we should teach younger ones due process, we should not reward gangsterism and hooliganism against set laws,laws can be changed modified and adapted, but the how matters .This ladies actions sets precedence and the response of those in authority matter because it sets a tone that such actions are acceptable and the dangerous spiral of lawlessness capable of breaching fragile peace is justified

No one should support that, the lady in question as a learned one should know better, others who seek to follow in her steps ought to do better.

Lastly I suggest the authorities to look closely at activities and messages in the University of Ilorin capable of radicalizing the younger generation into lawlessness capable of breaching the public peace

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by Abdulhakeem78(m): 12:50pm On Dec 17, 2017
MrDude:
Islam and confusion are like Siamese twins connected by brain. It's becoming even more glaring by the hour that Satan himself; the great "confusionist" its a Muslim. If ever there was a Satan to begin with.
Must you intervene in other people's affairs while you're not called.Leave her super confusionist.
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by aybabz101: 12:53pm On Dec 17, 2017
abbasajao:

No offence please. Can any organization's rule and regulation violate a section of Nigeria constitution? Is Nigeria constitution not supersede any other regulations?

ppl.ar jst trying to make dis a human right stuf. dis is a professional matter. in schls today, law students have a strict dress code of to b in corporate dress when coming to class. in banks and financial institutions today, u ar to dress in a corporate manner if u ar an employee of d institution. likewise in d health sector. if u belong to one force or d other, u ar to b in uniform. this same principle i believe is applicable if u ar to b calld to bar.

i am not saying it is right coz i'm indifferent about it. ppl should b appealing to the NBA to change the rule and not supporting erring or breaking of the rules. dis is what i am against.

mind u freedom of expression also mean one can come naked next year expecting to b called to bar

1 Like

Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by naturalmikky(m): 1:04pm On Dec 17, 2017
The problem with this people will not be following the Quran to the later but following the part, the clerics have asked them to do.
This kind of girls will have no problem fornicating or be committing adultery which the Quran specifically say is wrong but to follow what is a negligible law is OK. You see them all around going to the mosque to pray and sleeping with another man's wife. A lot of them says tobacco is bad and you will see them working in places where tobacco is made. In Northern Nigeria, they divorce, the first wife in order to allow for another young girl to come in so as not to break the law but twist around the law. Isn't that hypocrisy?
1000 Shia Muslims were killed and the other Muslims turned mute because they don't belong to the same sect. Isn't that hypocrisy?
I think Muslims should be ready to ask themselves which profession will allow them to worship their God well before deciding to enter it.

3 Likes

Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by Pylony(m): 1:08pm On Dec 17, 2017
Rubbish of the first order. Next news jare
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by maasoap(m): 1:35pm On Dec 17, 2017
MrDude:
Islam and confusion are like Siamese twins connected by brain. It's becoming even more glaring by the hour that Satan himself; the great "confusionist" its a Muslim. If ever there was a Satan to begin with.
Are you losing sleep over this? I hope that your BP is not overshooting.
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by maasoap(m): 1:37pm On Dec 17, 2017
MrDude:

I want a country where Islam is ban! mosques demolish and Muslims kicked out of the country - giving them a chance to abandon their cult of course. 

JAPAN has NO TROUBLE at all with Islam: 1 mosque in the entire country, 10,000 Muslims in a population of 130 million; Muslims not allowed to own property or evangelise and are deported the minute they do something Islamic, such as protesting about Japanese culture.

Before any mod move to hide this post let's us be clear to ourselves here, I have written fact!
Sane? Hitler try to do the same thing in another version but today everyone is forced to acknowledge holocaust. Hypocrite.
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by Nauttyprof(m): 1:47pm On Dec 17, 2017
Well, the daughter is also sick. Over flogging sick issues when matters religion should ward into and make Nigeria a better nation have been avoided.

Sick issues
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by Bari22: 2:27pm On Dec 17, 2017
FriendNG:

Dafa? Tutaninka Yoruba?
ka tabbata name dauka Kai bayarabe ne, daga wacce state kake
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by Opoki(m): 2:35pm On Dec 17, 2017
Muslims like to play the victim card in an aggressive manner just to get their way out of everything.
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by daddyzgal(f): 2:41pm On Dec 17, 2017
Religion is a mess
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by lookingfly: 2:45pm On Dec 17, 2017
Fanatics grin........cheap attention seeker undecided
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by Codyt(m): 2:50pm On Dec 17, 2017
DeLaRue:
[s]The level of suspicion amongst peoples of different religions, particularly Christians and Moslems is just out of all proportion.

Tolerance has to be given a chance.

From the picture I saw, the so-called veil did not cover the face of the lady that was denied a call to the bar.

It should be possible to accommodate such simple attire for call to bar ceremony. We see women wear this in offices, on the streets, in schools etc

Yes, the rules are the rules, but the body in charge of setting the rules should consider allowing a simple veil. Obviously, the type that covers the full face is a different thing entirely.
[/s]

Absolutely needless
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by Arielle: 2:58pm On Dec 17, 2017
MrDude:

I agree. But we have to have a seperate country first. I used to be liberal. But this hijab matter has really shocked me and opened my eyes. Some misguided souls are talking about "rights". What rights? You trained to join a profession that has laid down rules and regulations. No one forced her. The Legal profession has rules just like Islam has rules. If you want Islamic rules to supercede legal ethics in Nigeria, go to court and advocate for a change. Instead she waits until the day, and attempts to create a HUGE fuss. She knew she would not be allowed, so what was the point of this? Mischief. To trend? For Muslims to admire her? This one has no business being a lawyer. She is not capable of objectivity and impartiality. And neither, unfortunately, are a whole lot of her fellow muslims, going by comments on social media. I'm shocked i'm saying this because i consider myself a liberal, but we need to split this country. There is just no point.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 3:16pm On Dec 17, 2017
Except they resolve the issue before next year then you can be called to bar with your hijab.If not,just go to the new York law school or any other country that doesn't have a dresscode or you would be insulted just like firadaus.
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by FriendNG: 3:24pm On Dec 17, 2017
Bari22:

ka tabbata name dauka Kai bayarabe ne, daga wacce state kake
Koda me kazo anfika.
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by Iamzik: 3:53pm On Dec 17, 2017
skedman:
which of the religion is more confused. Your religion that has know unity. You critise yourselves. Cele will talk,jehovah witness,catholic and so on.
with evidence on my street you tend to find up to 10 churches.
The dressing code for the christain women is worse to the extent that they use handkerchief to cover thier hair on a sunday
Daddy frezze is becoming popular because of all the immoral act of the so call ed pastor .
you now saw a lady that graduated and passed the law school that stood on the ground based on her mode of dressing with reference to her religion. She never dressed nude nor indecent.you can never see a christain lady that will stand on her ground based on her religion .

We talk and criticize each other. That is what sane human beings do. As for you, shia will be killing sunni.
Between arguments/debates that enlighten people and your own killing and hatred which one is better?

You kill non Muslims, behead and torture them in obedience to your Quran, and when you are done you turn on each other!

Islam where a northerner will never allow a westerner lead prayer in the mosque. Hausas believe they know more than any other tribe in Nigeria when it comes to Islam. Oga I grew up in the north don't allow me to start narrating all your ills here
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by Bari22: 4:49pm On Dec 17, 2017
FriendNG:

Koda me kazo anfika.
Muna tare kenan
Re: Another Female Law Graduate Vow To Attend Call To Bar With Hijab Next Year by OyiboOyibo(m): 6:02pm On Dec 17, 2017
You will be disgraced also with ur holier than thou attitude....stupid religion

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What The Most Suitable Proffession For A Married Woman? / Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / Economists' Forum: (Students & Professionals)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.