Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,969 members, 7,952,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:07 AM

Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? (14967 Views)

DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl / At What Mileage Would A Car Stop Moving? / Honda-accord 2005: O2 Sensor/fuel Issues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sbm4real(m): 1:30pm On Apr 02, 2010
Guys,

I drive a 2002 Nissan Altima. I posted some issues here sometimes ago about the car. About a month ago, the car suddenly stopped on the road. It was diagnosed and the mechanic said the camshaft, MAF and O2 sensors are bad.

I changed the camshaft sensor and MAF sensor. The car has been fine since then.

A few days back, I was driving and as I made to negotiate a turn, the power went off, I turned off the ignition and put it on again and it came on. Yesterday, the power went off a couple of times on motion and it came back afterr a hard try.

The mechanic said to me on the phone that it may be becos we didnt change the O2 sensor. I used to think that O2 sensor cant make a car behave that way.

Auto Doctors, please advise,
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by arsenal4va(m): 3:01pm On Apr 02, 2010
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by KunleA2(m): 3:59pm On Apr 02, 2010
Without seeing the vehicle, its hard to say. But i will narrow the problem to 2 area. The distributor area/component or the or the ignition or fuel pump relay. I had a similar problem with my relay long time ago with another nissan. It will just cut off during driving all of a sudden. I will have to wait for like 5 seconds and then restart it.

What i will do, if i were you is that try and switch around the relays (do one at a time. they are interchangeable) and see if the problem stop. Switch the fuel pump first. Drive for 2 days and see if problem stop. If not switch out the ignition relay etc.

The relay box should be very accessible without much hassle. Another major culprit is the distributor itself. Some of them are know to fail and creat such problem.

I am pretty sure your 02 sensor cannot create the type of problem you are describing. 02 is more for emission issues.

Good luck
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by ikeyman00(m): 7:27pm On Apr 02, 2010
^^^^

well like i always say im not an expert but ikeyman will always speak what he knows

kule got the answers to your wahala

1;its likely the ignition brushes in the key has worn out which stall your car
if it doesnt work then 2

2;also check the emm fuel cut off relay; there might be bad soldering on it; this is usually associated with hard starting in honda cars as for bad soldering on its main relay cuz oxidation might give in instantly with the weather condition; eg in waking up in cold moring and your car playing hard to start; u feel me

but if u ask me i will rest my case on option one

therefore i can tell u that u have wasted your moeny on repairing wrong issues

this is by no way a sensor issue!!!! gbam
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sbm4real(m): 7:35pm On Apr 02, 2010
Thanks guys,

Can the issue be discovered thru diagnosis? So that I can have it diagnosed and bring back the codes to you experts here.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by ikeyman00(m): 7:44pm On Apr 02, 2010
^^^^^

to be honest im not a mechanic or expert but commonsense rules

u are driving a car and it stall as it did!!! right

the issues u should be looking at has been highlighted and u best believe it!! it wouldnt cost u checking your ignition brushes which i believe its the wahala

main relay and distributor

as i know not all wahala are reported on the scanner!!

this is a straight foward issue

apart from distributor most of these component are under ur dash so whats the deal
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sbm4real(m): 7:46pm On Apr 02, 2010
@ikey,

Many thanks, I will have that checked 2moro.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by ikeyman00(m): 7:47pm On Apr 02, 2010
@@@
no wahala
hahha u will be fine
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sbm4real(m): 8:03pm On Apr 02, 2010
Is it a similar issue that makes the car behave funny in the mornings or when I have packed it for a long time. By funny, I mean:

When I start it in the morning, instead of the RPM going up and then coming down like every normal car, my car starts on a low RPM (almost 0) and then struggles to balance up. Sometimes, it even dies like once or twice b4 picking up.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by ikeyman00(m): 8:11pm On Apr 02, 2010
^^^^ definitely not

but let kule clearify issues on this one
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by KunleA2(m): 9:17pm On Apr 02, 2010
sbm4real:

Is it a similar issue that makes the car behave funny in the mornings or when I have packed it for a long time. By funny, I mean:

When I start it in the morning, instead of the RPM going up and then coming down like every normal car, my car starts on a low RPM (almost 0) and then struggles to balance up. Sometimes, it even dies like once or twice b4 picking up.

Again, without seeing the car it is hard to say. But my hunch will be that the "cold start valve" might be faulty. The cold start valve is similar to a choke of early cars. It works in conjuction with the fuel system and make more petrol mixture go into the engine upon starting in the morning.

Another possible culprit is the "temperature sensor". that one is like a bolt with 2 wires at the end of it. Usually situated near the thermostat housing on the engine block. Measures the temp of the engine and sends signal to the car to adjust the fuel mixture into the car.

Thats all i can think of at this point.

In the meantime, if you cant get to those problems now, i suggest you take out the plugs and clean them and dust off the air filter pending the time you can have the time and money to get to the aforementioned issues.

At least you can do those yourself or pay some roadside mechanic small money to remove the plugs and clean the tips and the air filter.

Good luck.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by Fhemmmy: 9:33pm On Apr 02, 2010
Hope you dont mind if i contribute to the discussion. . . . . . . . Here Are Symptoms of a Bad Oxygen Sensor?

A bad oxygen sensor can negatively impact an engine's performance in a variety of ways. Due to the importance an oxygen sensor plays in the maintenance of proper air and fuel levels in a running engine, any abnormal or faulty oxygen sensor function can create a wide array of abnormal engine symptoms. What follows is a brief description of the most common symptoms of a bad oxygen sensor.

Poor Gas Mileage
Oxygen sensors play a huge role in adjusting a vehicle engine's air/fuel ratio, the unique combination of gas and air that an engine burns to produce power. A faulty oxygen sensor may allow too much fuel to be added to the air/fuel ratio, resulting in poor gas mileage.

Increased Vehicle Emissions
Oxygen sensors continually monitor and adjust an engine's air/fuel mixture to ensure proper engine combustion, vehicle emissions and performance. A bad oxygen sensor will, oftentimes, result in poor air/fuel mixtures or lean or rich fuel injection delivery, all of which can cause improper or inefficient engine combustion and increased vehicle emissions.

Rough Engine Idle
Proper engine combustion is crucial for maximizing engine performance. A bad oxygen sensor, due to its negative impact on engine combustion and air/fuel ratios, can cause a car's engine to idle in a choppy, rough manner. This is caused by the less-than-optimum engine combustion firings that result in poor engine performance.

Engine Missing
If a bad oxygen sensor causes an engine's air/fuel mixture to become too lean or restricted, the explosions within an engine's cylinders(engine combustion) will be altered. Normally, an air/fuel mixture that is too lean (too much air, not enough fuel) will cause an engine to miss, or misfire, especially when an engine is idling.

Engine Hesitation
Engine hesitation is very similar to engine missing. However, engine hesitation is experienced only during acceleration, whereas an engine miss can be experienced both during engine acceleration and idle. A bad oxygen sensor may misread or misinterpret an engine's air/fuel mixture or air/fuel requirements and cause too little or too much air and/or fuel to enter an engine's cylinders, especially during acceleration. This can cause an engine to hesitate, or stumble.

Just like human needs oxygen in the brain . . . . . . . .
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sbm4real(m): 1:19pm On Apr 03, 2010
Thanks Kunle, I will try those out and see where I get to,
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sultaan(m): 6:32pm On Apr 03, 2010
Check codes again
FYI
http://www.samarins.com/diagnose/checkengine.html

There was a recall for Altimas to reprogram ecm, check if you have a sticker for that.

The recall is for sensors that shows the problems you've been having I thought I metioned it before
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm

Check the MAF part number to make sure you replace with right part
Hitachi p/n W0133-1723137, OR Nissan 22680-AM600, 22680-CA000 (same sensor pins but different harness connector) or the older 22680-8J000
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sbm4real(m): 10:02am On Apr 05, 2010
Gentlemen,

My mechanic pulled off some codes this morning:

PO300- RANDOM MISFIRE DETECTED

PO460- FUEL LEVEL SENSOR

POO57- H02S HEATER CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW (BANK2 SENSOR2)

P1572- NOT DEFINED

PO113- INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR HIGH INPUT

It is worthy to note that I changed the MAF and CAMSHAFT sensors about a month ago. Please advise on way forward and I also need to have an idea of how much each of these sensors cost so that he doesnt give me overbloated bill.

Also, please read the history and issues with the car in earlier posts on this same thread and advise if the issues I raised are caused by the failure of the sensors above or different issues altogether.

Kindly advise a brother sirs.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by chelseabmw(m): 12:03pm On Apr 05, 2010
[size=13pt]Kunle are u an internet mechanic?[/size]
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by KunleA2(m): 2:56pm On Apr 05, 2010
i think i will have to defer some of these issues to Siena. Some of them don pass me.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by GeorgeD1(m): 3:05pm On Apr 05, 2010
na wao! na so this nissan altima dey worry person? 

very flashy shape but underneath its something else!
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by Fhemmmy: 3:26pm On Apr 05, 2010
sbm4real:

Gentlemen,

My mechanic pulled off some codes this morning:

PO300- RANDOM MISFIRE DETECTED

PO460- FUEL LEVEL SENSOR

POO57- H02S HEATER CONTROL CIRCUIT LOW (BANK2 SENSOR2)

P1572- NOT DEFINED

PO113- INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR HIGH INPUT

It is worthy to note that I changed the MAF and CAMSHAFT sensors about a month ago. Please advise on way forward and I also need to have an idea of how much each of these sensors cost so that he doesnt give me overbloated bill.

Also, please read the history and issues with the car in earlier posts on this same thread and advise if the issues I raised are caused by the failure of the sensors above or different issues altogether.

Kindly advise a brother sirs.

PO300- RANDOM MISFIRE DETECTED - Means that one of the cylinder is not firing properly . . . . if the last digit was a number, that would have correspond to the number of the cylinder that is misfiring, however, with the kinda code u have, it is not telling much that telling you that one is misfiring.

PO460- FUEL LEVEL SENSOR - means the fuel guage might fluctuate sometimes, and that could be dangerous cos it cld show full gas in the tank and meanwhile it is not full . . . .

Leave the rest for Oga Siena . . . . grin
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by platinumnk(f): 5:22pm On Apr 05, 2010
I thought the O2 sensors were for emmissions undecided
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Apr 05, 2010
platinumnk:

I thought the O2 sensors were for emmissions undecided

You're dead right, Plat, they are. cool

Back to the original query. Of all the items listed, only the CPS (camshaft position sensor) will stop the car from running. The CPS is only used upon start-up, for the injectors and coil packs to trigger in the right order, on the Altima, it's 1-3-4-2. Once the engine's running, the ECU has a base map to keep the engine running. The CPS failure will not stop the engine whilst it's running, it will certainly prevent it from firing, once it's switched off though.

The codes your mechanic pulled later in your post, will not prevent the car from running, or cause it to stall. The lambda sender will cause your emission control system to run open loop, with a base map. This will make your engine thirstier, and a bit sluggish at low to part throttle. Lambda has no control at high RPM, as it switches off, and runs open loop at this point. So, that's ruled out.

A faulty IAT (intake air temperature) sensor will cause an over rich mixture, so engine will be sluggish, and reluctant to rev, but it will start as normal, and not stall.

Random misfire will be caused by an over rich fuel mixture at low RPM, so can be safely ignored for now.

P1572 refers to your brake pedal switch. This is not just a regular brake lamp switch, it's also linked to the ECU, and fuel shut-off under certain conditions. It's possible your switch is faulty, or the connections / power feeding it are being interrupted periodically.

You mentioned the power went off a couple of times. Do you mean the car stalled, or the dash went completely dead? Another area to check would be your ignition switch itself, and / or earth connections under the steering column. Let's know how you get on.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by Onwan: 6:00pm On Apr 05, 2010
@OP
I think the best thing is for the poster to have the O2 sensor changed. Its easier when one has a clean diagnosis, then see whats next.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by platinumnk(f): 6:06pm On Apr 05, 2010
Siena:

You're dead right, Plat, they are. cool

Yay!
Dang Sienna you're so smart about cars cheesy grin cheesy
Onwan:

@OP
I think the best thing is for the poster to have the O2 sensor changed. Its easier when one has a clean diagnosis, then see whats next.

Na, let him focus on whats making the car stop, he will fix the sensor for the engine light to go back on. undecided
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by Onwan: 6:19pm On Apr 05, 2010
@Platinumnk
As long its a solution.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Apr 05, 2010
platinumnk:

Na, let him focus on whats making the car stop, he will fix the sensor for the engine light to go back on.  undecided

Plat, is someone tutoring you there?   Because again, you're correct.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by Onwan: 6:23pm On Apr 05, 2010
@Siena
Are you saying even with a clean diagnosis he can still have those issues? because I know those things can start from a simple P0141 to a lot of them if not sorted in time.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sbm4real(m): 6:30pm On Apr 05, 2010
Thanks all,

@siena,

when the car stops in motion, the engine goes off but the battery indicator,engine oil indicator and other indicators show on the dash board and the AC continues to run. If I start it again, it starts and goes off. Sometimes, the RPM indicators is struglling to move up but it keeps coming down and eventually stalls again, After a while and some firing, it stays ok and moves on, When it finally picks, it may drive 5mins without any issues,

Its so sick, i feel like dumping the car.

From the thread, it seems the advise is not to change the sensors right away because the sensors are not the issues causing the car to stall in motion.

From Siena's post, i should check:

The ignition switch
Earth connection under the steering column
The brake lamp switch, its connections and the power feeding the switch
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Apr 05, 2010
Another item that's ignition related (and doesn't always show up on a scan) is the crank[/b]shaft position sensor. Unlike the [b]cam[/b]shaft position sensor, this will always interrupt the ignition if it goes haywire. If it's very intermittent, the ECU may not flag it, and store it as a trouble code. Some OBD readers will not show it as a stored trouble code, but may show it as a [b]pending trouble code.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Apr 05, 2010
Onwan:

@Siena
Are you saying even with a clean diagnosis he can still have those issues? because I know those things can start from a simple P0141 to a lot of them if not sorted in time.

Onwan, not all trouble codes are flagged, and stored by the ECU. It all depends on how sporadic they are.
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sbm4real(m): 6:45pm On Apr 05, 2010
@siena,

are u saying i should change the crankshaft position sensor?
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by Onwan: 6:54pm On Apr 05, 2010
Nissan/Infiniti is prone to sensor issues. Mine at a time started with P0141 - even got that from my own tool before taking it to a shop. They had them erased and on ignition it came right up - the guy told me to drive off and ignore the lights and after 3 weeks they were 7 of those sensor codes and banks highlighted. I had them all changed and finally SES light hasn't come up ever since.

Like I said, its easier when you sort it now and change the sensors highlighted as a precaution to avoid things getting worse. Its just my experience with Nissan/Infiniti
Re: Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion? by sbm4real(m): 7:11pm On Apr 05, 2010
@onwan,

What model do you use?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FRSC Writes Toyota Over High Rate Of Crashes / My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads / Another Tesla Model S On Autopilot Crashes Into A Parked Fire Truck At 65 Mph

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.