Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,980 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads (14579 Views)

5 Ways To Identify Bullet Proof Cars On Nigerian Roads. / 11 Cars You Won’t See On Nigerian Roads / My Car Makes A Squealing/whistling Sound When Ac Is Turned On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by Nobody: 6:16pm On Mar 01, 2015
I drive a Toyota Corolla 2004 that makes very terrible noise when I move on rough roads. I won't hear any sound when the road is smooth but the moment I enter a pothole or on a rough surfaced road the noise becomes something else. My mechanic examined it and said two of the shock absorbers are bad and some boris needs to be changed. I changed all these yet its still the same story. Pls help
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:07pm On Mar 04, 2015
sanky346:
I drive a Toyota Corolla 2004 that makes very terrible noise when I move on rough roads. I won't hear any sound when the road is smooth but the moment I enter a pothole or on a rough surfaced road the noise becomes something else. My mechanic examined it and said two of the shock absorbers are bad and some boris needs to be changed. I changed all these yet its still the same story. Pls help

Next time you are on rough roads put your left foot slightly on the brake pedal and check if the noise is still there.
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by Nobody: 2:05am On Mar 05, 2015
Thanks. I will try it in the morning and get back to you
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by Exponental(m): 6:45am On Mar 05, 2015
where is d sound(s) coming from?
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by DrBlack(m): 5:15pm On Mar 05, 2015
check stabilizer links
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by senator2k9(m): 6:33pm On Mar 05, 2015
Obviously ur stabiliser linkages
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by Emekayoung(m): 7:10pm On Mar 05, 2015
sanky346:
Check ur bushing

1 Like

Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by jayuuk: 7:47pm On Mar 05, 2015
How long have you used the car on Nigerian road,Check your bushings they might be weak,this creates resonating effect on the car as its moving on a rough road.
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by Nobody: 10:15pm On Mar 05, 2015
I have been using the car for three years now..I will check the stabiliser linkage and the bushings. Thanks all
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by blackfm: 10:23pm On Mar 05, 2015
sanky346:
I have been using the car for three years now..I will check the stabiliser linkage and the bushings. Thanks all
I have the same issue with my 05 corolla. Changed my stabiliser linkage 2 days ago but status is still the same. I'll check the bushing but I don't know what to look out for there. Please advise
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by Emekayoung(m): 6:17pm On Mar 09, 2015
Same issue am having wit my own car.
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by Nobody: 1:45pm On Mar 10, 2015
Its makes driving in rough roads so irritating
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by blackfm: 9:14pm On Mar 10, 2015
Feels like your wheel is gonna fall off
sanky346:
Its makes driving in rough roads so irritating

1 Like

Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by Nobody: 9:33pm On Mar 10, 2015
Exactly. That's exactly how it sounds
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by cmoney22222: 11:20am On Mar 11, 2015
Same with me ooo
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by blackfm: 8:11pm On Mar 11, 2015
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by blackfm: 8:11pm On Mar 11, 2015
The feedback I've been getting so far are these:
1. Stabliser linkage is bad if the shock absorbers are ok
2. Bushing needs to be changed
Or tyres are bad
I'm not going with any for now till I can get feedback frm someone who isn't guessing as wildly

1 Like

Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by Nobody: 12:22am On Mar 12, 2015
It can't be tyre. My tyres are good. It has to be something mechanical. I also want to get a more accurate opinion so I can just address the fault directly. Its going to cost money if one changed stabiliser linkage and bushing and it turns out not to be the fault
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by jayuuk: 9:12am On Mar 12, 2015
I once had that experience in my camry 01,u need to know your car has issues and tackle it tactfully,it will be time consuming,i replaced all 4 shock absorbers with OEM,bought KYB bushings for the cambers,changed my brake pads and mada sure they r all fitted properly,i changed the steady rod cos the bushings were bad,please am not good with the correct names for the parts but i changed all these and the noise was no more.
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by disloman(m): 10:07am On Mar 12, 2015
All these try n error sh1t is killing.@op:look 4 a competent technician 2 thoroughly check d car.
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by blackfm: 7:55pm On Mar 16, 2015
It's not even expensive to change the linkage, got mine done for 6k but it seems to av worsened the problem. I don't speed past 60 for fear of an unforseen failure pending when I'm chanced to have it checked out
sanky346:
It can't be tyre. My tyres are good. It has to be something mechanical. I also want to get a more accurate opinion so I can just address the fault directly. Its going to cost money if one changed stabiliser linkage and bushing and it turns out not to be the fault

1 Like

Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by erico2k2(m): 8:57pm On Mar 16, 2015
sanky346:
For starters, you said this noise is observed when on rough rd, not that steers you to you wheels and suspension system.This you need to tell us, is it a cracking/clicking noise? a rubbing noise or noise with vibration? is it from the back or the front? left or right?is it a rattling noise? reason Im asking is cos I suffered same with a diff kind of car and I changed a specific part and it stopped.
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by blackfm: 10:55pm On Mar 16, 2015
Mine is a clunking sound like something is loose under the car or In the wheel, I've checked but found nothing. It's started to affect d balance of the car now as it feels like it's swaying at time on motion
erico2k2:

For starters, you said this noise is observed when on rough rd, not that steers you to you wheels and suspension system.This you need to tell us, is it a cracking/clicking noise? a rubbing noise or noise with vibration? is it from the back or the front? left or right?is it a rattling noise? reason Im asking is cos I suffered same with a diff kind of car and I changed a specific part and it stopped.
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by luvinhubby(m): 7:59am On Mar 17, 2015
blackfm:
Mine is a clunking sound like something is loose under the car or In the wheel, I've checked but found nothing. It's started to affect d balance of the car now as it feels like it's swaying at time on motion
Go get your tie rod sockets replaced.
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by samally: 12:11pm On Mar 17, 2015
jayuuk:
I once had that experience in my camry 01,u need to know your car has issues and tackle it tactfully,it will be time consuming,i replaced all 4 shock absorbers with OEM,bought KYB bushings for the cambers,changed my brake pads and mada sure they r all fitted properly,i changed the steady rod cos the bushings were bad,please am not good with the correct names for the parts but i changed all these and the noise was no more.

Please how much does the whole above mentioned item cost...
i have camry and the shocks they're fixing for me does not last...i will be glad if i can have the total cost of changing them all.
sam
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by OduduwaYoruba: 4:31pm On Sep 21, 2016
luvinhubby:

my car sway as you said and what i did was to change the camber, the mechanic told me he will change the camber but when he finished, he did not give me the replace camber and i quess he only replace the bushes. the issue of wandering or swaying stop.
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by IlorinBoy1: 9:50pm On Feb 12, 2018
Oga Gazzuzz

Please help me o. My corolla 2003 also makes noise on rough roads like the OP. But it stops when i put my left foot on the brake, the noise stops. What do you think?

GAZZUZZ:

Next time you are on rough roads put your left foot slightly on the brake pedal and check if the noise is still there.
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by PAQ(m): 12:46pm On May 07, 2019
I am beginning to thinks its a corolla thing. My car hasnt been same this year after changing my stabilizer linkage and shocks. whenever i drive on an un-even road, the whole car and cabin vibrates like the car wants to fall apart... This is a 2012 corolla!!

B4 i forget, my turning radius increased too. Its like turning a truck.
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by Contumely: 11:41pm On May 07, 2019
gazzuzz
please what is this called
"boiless"
I mean the proper spelling
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by Kingsdave(m): 7:36am On Dec 17, 2020
luvinhubby:

My car makes a woooooooo woooooooo sound when ever I drive on a rough terrain but fine in a good road... what's the issue
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by Kingsdave(m): 7:38am On Dec 17, 2020
What was really the problem... stabilizer linkages??
Re: My Car Makes Terrible Noise On Rough Roads by femarse: 7:55am On Dec 17, 2020
I have exact problem
something make noise once I am on uneven road ....this noise comes from the right wheel ... mech checked and said it's the stabilizer .... got it changed the clunking noise stopped ... actually when the stab was removed, it's almost chop off

(1) (Reply)

Get Your Direct Tokunbo Engines And Gearbox For Your Toyota And Lexus Vehicles / Innoson: 5 Modern Accessories In The IVM G80 / Toyota Camry Transmission Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.