Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,936 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl (32482 Views)

Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan. / Married But I'm Not Connected With My Husband, Hence I'm Depressed / Parents, Don't Allow Your Kids To Run To Meet You When You Return Home. See Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by munas: 3:45pm On Dec 19, 2017
Hello people.

I have a very good friend of mind who wants to get married,but his dad and mum are kicking against his choice.
The guy's dad is from edo state,while hos mum is from Abia state.All well educated and they attend Catholic church.

Now the girl in question is from Anambra and attends penticostal church.

The parents of this my friend sad he should not married the girl because Amambra women are not good and she is not catholic.

This guy has convinced the girl to move to catholic and she agreed,but the parenst are still saying no.

The mum even said she will die if he goes ahead and marry the girl.

My friend really loves this girl and he wants to marry her.

Any advice on how to go about this?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by thesicilian: 3:47pm On Dec 19, 2017
Some will say marriage is between you and your partner and your parents have no right to interfere. That may be true, but what an elderly person sees sitting down, a child may not see while standing up

83 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Nobody: 3:48pm On Dec 19, 2017
You or the guy!
Anyway am not good at giving advice.

Lemme try, tell your guy to pump her tommy cheesy

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Jochabed(f): 3:49pm On Dec 19, 2017
Tribalism will not take us anywhere. Let him kindly tell his parents that love knows no bounds.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Nobody: 4:05pm On Dec 19, 2017
And you say they are educated?! undecided

Anyways, I think the guy or your bf should sit his parents down and have a heart to heart discussion with them as a man. They complained about her church, now she has agreed to become a catholic.......what else do they want? He should be sure she's from a good home and let them know. She didn't make her self come from Anambra. He should make them understand that tribe does not determine one's character or personality.
He's the one that would live with the girl or you, for the rest of his life, not them.

And then again, he should really ask them their reason, cos there could be something they're seeing and he's not. Cos all they complained about to me is no good reason!

#Tribalism and Religion has dealt with us!

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by boldx(m): 4:11pm On Dec 19, 2017
thesicilian:
Some will say marriage is between you and your partner and your parents have no right to interfere. Thay be true, but what elderly person sees sitting down, a child may not see while standing up
Based on state of origin and religion abi?

8 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by munas: 4:13pm On Dec 19, 2017
sarafa68:
You or the guy!

My guy not me...
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by MicheyJ1: 4:13pm On Dec 19, 2017
A marriage without the blessings of your parents would never bode well.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by munas: 4:17pm On Dec 19, 2017
pp802:
And you say they are educated?! undecided

Anyways, I think the guy or your bf should sit his parents down and have a heart to heart discussion with them as a man. They complained about her church, now she has agreed to become a catholic.......what else do they want? He should be sure she's from a good home and let them know. She didn't make her self come from Anambra. He should make them understand that tribe does not determine one's character or personality.
He's the one that would live with the girl or you, for the rest of his life, not them.

And then again, he should really ask them their reason, cos there could be something they're seeing and he's not. Cos all they complained about to me is no good reason!

Thanks...

The only two reasons they initially gave is the church and state of origin.After she agreed to change to catholic,the mum came up with having bad revelation about the girl and all that.
The funny thing here is that this girl is a homely girl and friend said he has prayed severally about it and he is convinced she is his.
Note:Sshe stood with him even in trying times of no cash and all that

#Tribalism and Religion has dealt with us!
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 19, 2017
munas, did he tell you the bad revelation?
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by MrHistorian: 10:00pm On Dec 19, 2017
MicheyJ1:
Will you stop this nonsense!?

Who mandates Parents' consent for mutual blissful conjugation of two adults?

Cases where one of the bride or groom is an orphan,Where does he/she then solicit consent from?

Bitter truth is,our parents are human as we are and as such fallible for very petty things such as tribalism or religious inclinations.Ours is to rectify it by defying their ideas or paying NO attention.

Tell your friend to go ahead and marry her. . . That's if it's not even you.

125 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Ruggedfitness: 10:01pm On Dec 19, 2017
hmmmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Kekx(m): 10:01pm On Dec 19, 2017
[s]
thesicilian:
Some will say marriage is between you and your partner and your parents have no right to interfere. Thay be true, but what elderly person sees sitting down, a child may not see while standing up
[/s]

Lies brO!, Big Lie!!

What is it they saw that they can't tell their son, what?
Did they come from the future?

I'm an Igbo man, but I must tell you this, when it comes to religion, marriage, helping and business patnering.

The igbos aren't that united, they do invite tribalism inside a tribe(within themselves)

Don't be surprise his parents reasons might be a result of a dealing they had with anambra fellows in the past.

Bleep whatever they are seeing while squating or shitting.

Africans needs cleansing.

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Offpoint: 10:02pm On Dec 19, 2017
Oh here we go again!
op tell ya friend to kidnap the girl in question, run away with her to Dubai. get a pastor and tie the knot and live happily ever after. life's is too short for headaches.
Return back to Nigeria after 4 years with 3 kids..... then your problem is solved...

what do I even know sef, I'm just offpoint.. don't even have a pillow at home talk more of girlfriend.

Spaxon I'm coming for you

17 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by SuperSuave(m): 10:02pm On Dec 19, 2017
Jochabed:
Tribalism will not take us anywhere. Let him kindly tell his parents that love knows no bounds.
To even think the guy's mom, an Igbo woman is kicking against an Igbo girl is surprising. What would she have done if the guy brought an Hausa girl? grin

I think the parents have hidden reason(s) for kicking against the union and they feel their boy is too small to let him in on the know so they are using denomination and tribalism to cover up

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Narldon: 10:03pm On Dec 19, 2017
Ok

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Nobody: 10:03pm On Dec 19, 2017
MicheyJ1:
story

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by ElPadrino33: 10:03pm On Dec 19, 2017
He should do whatever he likes but must first of all agree that his parents are extremely stupid

14 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by ceezarhh(m): 10:03pm On Dec 19, 2017
this matter strong gan!...
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Nobody: 10:03pm On Dec 19, 2017
It's always a friend. Smh.

1 Like

sarafa68:
You or the guy!

correct guy!!!

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by MrOwonikoko: 10:04pm On Dec 19, 2017
Wu send u make u marry now? undecided
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by blessedweapon(m): 10:04pm On Dec 19, 2017
Nollywood......... Grab your copy now!!!

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Osucoward: 10:04pm On Dec 19, 2017
The mom is Igbo and the girl is Igbo too. how is his tribalism?

Intra-tribalism?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by arherfish(m): 10:04pm On Dec 19, 2017
I feel for your friend but if gets married to the lady against his parents wishes and issues arises later, na oyo be dat for him.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by blackbeau1(f): 10:04pm On Dec 19, 2017
If she's willing to spend the rest of her life fighting her in laws , fine. Go ahead. If not , ask him to let her go because eventually all the fighting would wear him down and one day he's gonna have to choose sides between his wife and his family .most often than not, the family wins

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Roon9(m): 10:05pm On Dec 19, 2017
African parents try to exert way too much power. Well, if I'm the guy nobody can stop me from marrying the lady of my choice.

It was this kind of song my mom was singing initially, my elder bro heeded to her and married from her place..... The lady is currently showing her Shege. Like my bro doesn't seem to be they Way we knew him to be.

The other day she (my mom) was confessing to me how she was never going to interfere in my own marital plans. In fact my current Gf n by God's grace future wife is from the very place she never wanted.

My point is, it's not always about the place but the person. However, the above doesn't hold true for a lady, seeing that she's going into a famil unlike the man....

21 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by johnstar(m): 10:05pm On Dec 19, 2017
Na wao

Dis looks like a nollywood to me

Dis kind tn stil dey happen?
Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Marcofranz(m): 10:06pm On Dec 19, 2017
Anambra women some are very terrible they pretend to be good at first after marriage they start acting strange. It seems it's innate. But I know people differs, she might be different .

6 Likes

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by SILVA112(m): 10:06pm On Dec 19, 2017
Children obey ur parents for it is right ' and its the 1st commandment with a blessing

1 Like

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Onyinye15(f): 10:06pm On Dec 19, 2017
Let ur friend surrender to his parents

The hatred might linger to their unborn children

And d fight go turn season film

[b][/b] WAR WITHOUT END

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Get Married, But My Parents Don't Like The Girl by Nobody: 10:07pm On Dec 19, 2017
If your parents dont like the girl then change the girl .. Or change your Parents

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Mother In-Law Checks My Phone, How Do I Stop Her? / Girl Being Breastfed By Her Mum In Taraba After In Viral Photo Has Died / What's Your Plan B If Nobody Marries You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.