Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,141 members, 7,829,075 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries (13845 Views)

Trustee Raises Alarm Over $50bn Mobolaji Bank Anthony Property / LAWMA Seals Shops And Plazas At Ogudu-ojota Road Over Dumping Of Waste On Roads / 10 African Countries With The Highest Debt To China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by Ahmeduana(m): 9:42am On Dec 22, 2017
NA GOD GO PUNISH UNA, WHY WON'T THEY FLOOD NIGERIA MARKET, EVEN RIGHT NOW I PREFER FOREIGN RED OIL THAN THE ONES PRODUCED BY THESE THIEVING NIGERIA PRODUCERS, ALL THE YEAR OF GROWING UP HAVE NEVER SEE OR HEARD WHERE RED OIL IS MORE COSTLIER THAN VEGETABLE OIL, NOT UNTIL THIS USELESS REGIME COME ON BOARD, OIL THAT WE USE TO BUY FOR 600 NAIRA, IS NOW 3,800 NAIRA.
Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by adecz: 9:45am On Dec 22, 2017
The problem is that bad APC govt
policies have made cost of agricultural
production so expensive that our
local farm produce come to the market
at very high prices.

Neighbouring countries with better policies
are able to produce a given produce at much
lower prices.

When they see how high such produce are
being sold in Nigeria, they struggle to bring
their produce in, to cash in on the inflation in
Nigeria.

APC is just bad news that have brought
poverty to all Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by Abee79(m): 9:53am On Dec 22, 2017
nawtyme:
How in the name of God would someone want to import palm oil into Nigeria bikonu?
Welcome to Naija where even tooth picks are imported . . . cry cry cry cry cry

Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by winterfell007(m): 10:10am On Dec 22, 2017
Pavore9:

But the products in question are not even produced in those West African countries rather imported into those countries with its final destination...Nigeria.

That's the problem, our neighbouring countries don't have strong manufacturing Base like Nigeria, so they rely on the strength of importation. Nigeria cannot single-handedly determine the trade policy of other West African countries. We all agreed to free trade of good and services (either local production within the region or importation into the region)

1 Like

Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by chiscolin101(m): 10:27am On Dec 22, 2017
Hi
3 plots of dry land at clay bus stop Oregun road behind juli estate with deed of conveyance for #90m asking price
Good for mini estate, school, hotel, church: call 08169830998

6 Plots of land at Alagbole
For #18m only for all.
In a good location
Deed of conveyance
Direct from the owner
Call me: 08169830998
Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by winnah(f): 10:35am On Dec 22, 2017
martineverest:
When u guys are bent on mixing oil with chemicals for more profits

no doubt my brother. palm oil is suppose to top the chat of lucrative business in this country. I have a greater passion for it. but people that are already there are as wicked as what.... after sourcing for the original oil this people will in turn add chemical to increase the quantity. that every 25lt of original palm oil will give they another 25lt(amounting to 50lt) after adding the chemical.
Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by preacherz: 10:57am On Dec 22, 2017
Meel:
Competition ,

Why are our local producers scared of competition, the government should not ban the product, they should allow the oil importers.

Our indigenous producers already have home advantage. Am sure if our indigenous farmers should bring down there price, no one will patronise the investors.

Last year, when there was dollar shortage, farms purposely increase yam price , ( saying other produce cost is high they must increase there's).

We need competitors for the benefit of Consumers and the populace @ large.

Highest level of ignorance. Do u know how many employments was created at all level when our local production was encouraged?

It was never banned get ur facts right it was only put in check(tariff levy) to encourage local production afterall malaysian oil is every wherer in Nigeria now.
Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by preacherz: 11:07am On Dec 22, 2017
winnah:

no doubt my brother. palm oil is suppose to top the chat of lucrative business in this country. I have a greater passion for it. but people that are already there are as wicked as what.... after sourcing for the original oil this people will in turn add chemical to increase the quantity. that every 25lt of original palm oil will give they another 25lt(amounting to 50lt) after adding the chemical.

What's the name of the chemical?
Where did u see it happen?
Which supplier indulged in this act?
Pics of the chemical sample

Provide verifiable answers to these quetions or eternally keep shut!
Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by winnah(f): 11:16am On Dec 22, 2017
Realsman405:
By Babatunde Jimoh

Major palm oil producers in the country have urged the federal government not to yield to the request of some foreign companies operating in the country to import crude oil palm into the country under the ECOWAS Trade Liberalisation Scheme (ETLS) as this will lead to dumping of palm oil in Nigeria.

Speaking on behalf of the Plantation Owners Forum of Nigeria (POFON); National Palm Produce Association of Nigeria (NPPAN) and Oil Palm Growers Association of Nigeria (OPGAN), in Lagos during the week, Mr. Emmanuel Ibru, the Chairman, Plantation Owners Forum of Nigeria, POFON, said they have received with shock the clamour by a company that has refused to invest in the Nigerian oil palm value chain to import 95,000 MT of crude palm oil, 50,000 MT of Stearin in bulk, 60,000MT of Crude Palm Olein and 50,000MT of Palm Fatty Acid Distillates under the West African Trade Liberalization Scheme(ETLS).

ETLS is the main ECOWAS operational tool for promoting the West Africa region as a Free Trade Area.

He said acceding to the request is tantamount to economic sabotage, adding that any attempt or plot to import refined products amounts to smuggling, “because refined vegetable oil products remain on the import prohibition list.”

Ibru said: “It is in this light that we see the ongoing plot by the company as an attempt to procure official stamp to smuggling and commit economic crime against Nigeria.”

He disclosed that the current tariff regime of 35 percent (10 percent duty and 25 percent levy) on importation of palm oil and the inclusion of palm oil in the list of commodities that do not qualify for CBN FOREX allocation have been protective of the industry and at the same time the stimulant and tonic for growth.

“It has brought about phenomenal growth as witnessed in new plantings and processing capacities across the country. Moribund oil palm plantations have bounced back in production and smallholder planting has spread far beyond the traditional oil palm belt to now include the fringe states like Kogi, Kaduna and Nasarawa states.”

Consequently, he urged the government to remain steadfast in sustaining the policies in the face of mounting pressure from speculators and rent seekers in the industry.

Also speaking during the meeting, Mr. Fatai Afolabi disclosed that all available statistics point to the fact that the Crude Palm Oil (CPO) export data recorded for some West African countries are actually exported into Nigeria from CPO that were imported into those countries.

“ In essence, these West African countries are transit points for CPO destined for Nigeria. By so doing, these countries earn their own duty, whilst they and the Nigerian importers deny Nigeria from earning revenue. This should not be allowed to continue and we say a big no to ETLS crime.”

He added that the ETLS antics some of the companies operating in Nigeria is an indirect way of applying for waivers to import CPO and prohibited items, “which government has said several times that import waivers will not be granted and we pray that this resolve be maintained.”

www.vanguardngr.com/2017/12/palm-oil-investors-raise-alarm-dumping-wafrican-countries/

dominique FOD puskin naijacutee lalasticlala

in as much as I won't encourage importation of this product in to this country, let the truth be told.
our local producers are doing us no good. rather they do harm than good.
they are not for the interest of the nation. theirs is to make maximum profit(am not saying its bad. but the way they go about it is bad).
I am an entrepreneur that have a greater passion for investment in this product. I was shock and almost discouraged when I see what this people are doing in other to make money at the detriment of the citizen.
as a corper as at that time what I observed in the north is that, this people will mixed chemical to every drum of CPO and have equivalent. so if ur living in the north(kano) and you think you eat fresh or good palm oil you must be a liar. all you eat is chemical. even at that their prices are still of the high side.
evey company want to maximize profit so who will buy a substandard raw material at a very high cost that is not supposed to be so. so many things have to change.
no matter what, investment in this product is the best, it could give u an average return ranging from 30-100% respectively or even more. but this people are so bent to make more profit.
as a result of the ban (export ban on this product) they took advantage and inflate the price of this product that even house hole consumer can't even purchase. I wept. the return on this product last year was at it peak over 400%. imagine. 25lt that original could cost #5000during feb-june last year was sold for between #25000-#30000. do ur calculation that is more than 400% how will buying company cope. although in my little capacity I benefited but is not to be so. this is why they are crying because its not so this year. the return of this product this year is between 30-110%.
the product alone is not even enough. the supply capacity of this product is not enough. every body are storing it up to resale during off-peak season to make more money. we are after money and not to get it right.
instead of thinking on how to developed new seed like Malaysia do the research for chemical to use in other to increase the quantity to even more than 100%
Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by Kobicove(m): 11:17am On Dec 22, 2017
megatronXLR:
Y e nor go fall..... Ever since Nigeria sold dier destiny to Malaysia.....every tin go soon fall lyk Simi breast

...and who told you that her breasts have fallen? undecided
Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by Inexhaustible(m): 11:24am On Dec 22, 2017
This must be prevented from happening. I'm an insider in POFON, so I know how much effort the organisation is putting to ensuring Nigeria is sufficient in palm oil production as well as making palm oil an exporting commodity and foreign exchange earner to Nigeria. We should be encouraged by the Government.
Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by winnah(f): 4:13pm On Dec 22, 2017
preacherz:

I know you can talk.
allow the egocentricity of the African man in you to take a chill pill (pls no offence)

since u needed more clarity I will.
with this, am going attach a press report from NAFDAC agency.

I was in kano when dis happened

the name of the chemical in Hausa is called Jaws I don't know the English name(is not my biz)
have you not wondered that the cost of palm oil in kano when compared with from where the product is been sourced (produced) from is the same in price?

oh kano people don't like making profit(money) the cost of palm oil in kano is almost the same in Ebony, Enugu, akwa ibom etc. now the buying cost per 25lt in akwa ibom is 7-8000 and its the same thing in kano.

Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by winnah(f): 4:16pm On Dec 22, 2017
preacherz:

I know you can talk.
allow the egocentricity of the African man in you to take a chill pill (pls no offence)

with this, am going to attach a press report from NAFDAC agency.

the name of the chemical in Hausa is called Jaws I don't know the English name(is not my biz)
have you not wondered that the cost of palm oil in kano when compared with from where the product is been sourced (produced) from is the same in price?

oh kano people don't like making profit(money) the cost of palm oil in kano is almost the same in Ebony, Enugu, akwa ibom etc. now the buying cost per 25lt in akwa ibom is 7-8000 and its the same thing in kano.

Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by winnah(f): 4:19pm On Dec 22, 2017
preacherz:

I know you can talk.

kano state produce Zero of this product
kano state has no single stand of this product.

I stand to be corrected if am wrong

Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by preacherz: 8:36pm On Dec 22, 2017
winnah:

I know you can talk.

kano state produce Zero of this product
kano state has no single stand of this product.

I stand to be corrected if am wrong

There was no confession from the suppliers of indulging in the accused crime. Varriation in colour is usually as a result of source /location/production method and specie of palm fruite. Most Malaysian oil have a colour very different from ours
The price being same is because the market in the northern part of Nigeria is saturated with malaysian Oil because of its low price (not quality). Markets in the southern part are forced to sell at that price to be competitive. In other words its the Malaysian oil price that determines what Nigerian Palm Oil is sold.

Local Producers should be encouraged and not discouraged by magnifying their few flaws. how potent/healthy do u think the imported ones are?

Since we abandoned our local refineries for imported refined fuel, how available have this comodity become

It all started like this, today we import fuel when we use to refine. Never appreciating what we have until its too late.

The grass is not always greener at the other side.........................Arsene Wenger
Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by winnah(f): 10:08pm On Dec 22, 2017
preacherz:

There was no confession from the suppliers of indulging in the accused crime. Varriation in colour is usually as a result of source /location/production method and specie of palm fruite. Most Malaysian oil have a colour very different from ours
The price being same is because the market in the northern part of Nigeria is saturated with malaysian Oil because of its low price (not quality). Markets in the southern part are forced to sell at that price to be competitive. In other words its the Malaysian oil price that determines what Nigerian Palm Oil is sold.

Local Producers should be encouraged and not discouraged by magnifying their few flaws. how potent/healthy do u think the imported ones are?

Since we abandoned our local refineries for imported refined fuel, how available have this comodity become

It all started like this, today we import fuel when we use to refine. Never appreciating what we have until its too late.

The grass is not always greener at the other side.........................Arsene Wenger

oh!!! sweet Jesus. no one is encouraging the importation of this product.
crucified me not please.
importation does no good as compared to exportation (or having enough to satisfy ur local market.)
you asked for the name of the chemical used to increase the quantity and I think I did my homework well enough by telling you.
by importation, u import poverty/unemployment and sale out job to the other country.
it pains me, to see us import this product which is not supposed to be so.
government alone can not do the job alone. both government and private sector has to come together to achieve it.
there is so many potential in this sector to tap from.
blame not the government they have tried ( am not trying to speak in favouritism of the government but I think they are trying to make the sector attractive and that is why they are trying to discourage importation by way of partially banning it ( increasing vat)

I stand to correct this

"In other words its the Malaysian oil price that determines what Nigerian Palm Oil is sold" this is not true.
palm oil is a seasonal plant (that has both peak and off peak season)
going by the law of demand and supply.
palm tree produce less fruit during the peak season and produce more during the off peak season.
in a nutshell raining season and dry season

(produce more during dry season and less during raining season) no matter what the cost of it is always affordable at this time between 3-6 per 25lt but could rise to 7or 8 between June to august but research have it that new academic session (September) and Xmas speculation could also force and upward shift in the general price of the product.
so speculation and scarcity is the major determinant of it cost.
Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by lazygal: 11:43am On Dec 28, 2017
anonimi:

Like the Goggled One who imported Indian apples that killed him before his kwarupshion-fighting Fulani brother said he did not steal our money

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3040085_abachaaa_jpegb9b6ace1c002846314b86b3375f466a0

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3441929_img20160227001458_jpeg3fecf627d6b5447631b348f011e59b5a

Please no matter what do not insult the dead..okay? I actually respected you as a very intelligent person but youbshoe other wise

Most importantly you are not even properly informed as to the truth ...ABACHA did not die becasue of a woman or apple even mustapha that was the one that summoned all generals stated what happened....moreover this is the first time am reading a silly point that if imported apples

Stick to undermining present government and keep dead ones out please
Re: Palm Oil Investors Raise Alarm Over Dumping From W/african Countries by anonimi: 7:14am On Dec 31, 2017
lazygal:
Please no matter what do not insult the dead..okay? I actually respected you as a very intelligent person but youbshoe other wise
Most importantly you are not even properly informed as to the truth ...ABACHA did not die becasue of a woman or apple even mustapha that was the one that summoned all generals stated what happened....moreover this is the first time am reading a silly point that if imported apples
Stick to undermining present government and keep dead ones out please

My dear, please point out the insult in my post that you quoted.
Thanks.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can We Get Iron Ore & Zinc Ore Suppliers? / Central Bank Of Kenya Says Flutterwave And Chipper Cash Are Not Licensed / After $1bn Drop, Nigeria May Suffer Further Decline In FX Inflows – PWC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.