Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? (18570 Views)

Should I Accept The New Job Offer??? / Should I Accept The Job Offer From Him Or Not? Pls Help! / Advice Me. Should I Accept The Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by BabaIbo: 9:16am On Dec 29, 2017
optimisticson:
tho half buredi is beta dan none buh d terms attached to d probation is not cool,i got a job here in Ghana in July wit same 3 months probation ish buh I was paid fully until d 3 month elapsed. ur employer no get church mind coz d work u gon' do during dis probation period is d same thing u'll do after it,I.e if by His grace u get fully employed after d 3 months. abeg tel ur employer to reconsider. he or she shud pay u fully.
God bless you, you understand my message fully...
imagine, I was a bit confused because of my allowance(not my slary) and I will be spending close to that on transport monthly excluding feeding.
I love the job and I'm ready to give it my best but look at the conditions I stated above is given me concern
Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by whodeyhere: 9:18am On Dec 29, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:
Many wrong responses here all predicated on you selling your dignity because the economic situation in the country is bad.

A job is an agreement to trade your skills and time for emolument. If you are working free then you don't have a job.
The probationary period is to allow for time to prove that there is a fit between you and the company without legally committing either party. It does not include working for free.

Any good manager should know that an entry level staffer will need funds and should be supported as much as possible. That is why big companies grant clothing, housing, transport and other allowances. Not all companies are equally buoyant but that should not be used as an excuse for maltreating staff.
The issue here as I see it, is not allowances, but that they are not even prepared to pay you a salary.

Based on my personal experience in, and observation of the Nigerian work space, I can assure you that any organization that can ask this of you, will unpleasantly surprise you in the future. In fact, I can guarantee it.

Go back to the MD or HR. Explain to him that your financial situation will not permit you to work for free. Gauge his / her response. It will give you a guide as to what to expect from the company.

In the final analysis, it's your decision whether to accept or reject the 'offer'. Perhaps there are peculiar advantages to be gained or skills to be acquired from this arrangement. If so, you can bend the arrangement to work to your advantage.

Good luck.

Nice one brother, I was amazed at the kind of responses I have getting so far.............. the bad economy has done worse to people.

1 Like

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by Nobody: 9:19am On Dec 29, 2017
smiley

1 Like

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by webngnews: 9:20am On Dec 29, 2017
No

1 Like

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by Psoul(m): 9:20am On Dec 29, 2017
Every company has her own probation period for new employees. It is normal. Just go ahead and take the job. 3 months is not much. Gain experience from the company. It can be used to update ur profile even if u wish not to continue wt dem after the probation period.

1 Like

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by BabaIbo: 9:25am On Dec 29, 2017
Kwenty:
Employers in this country are just using the helpless situation of lack of employment to frustrate job seekers. No doubt that most structured organisations has a policy of probation period but salary should be fully paid or a reasonable amount and not allowance. I am not surprised at the comments here because Nigeria graduates has been dealt with in terms of job that many are ready to take anything.
Please ask questions on their pay package, staff welfare and other working conditions before taking up the offer. Some yeye organisations after the 3 months cheap labour probation period will cook up stories and kick you out claiming you did not perform.
Thank you for this words, I will do that when I resume
Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by guru90: 9:32am On Dec 29, 2017
BabaIbo:
Help, I just got a job but my employer told me I will be put on a 3-month probation before being fully taken as a staff.
meanwhile I will only be given an allowance during the course of the probation and my full induction as a staff will depend on my performance.
I need an advice on what to do since am new to the employment wirld, so I won't take the wrong step please

It is up to you....

If you like the job....kindly put on your best interest so that they will take you Permanently.

1 Like

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by Bashtundex(m): 9:36am On Dec 29, 2017
My brother half bread is better than none...try it out and give in your best and see how of plays out.
Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by nkemjacob2(m): 9:37am On Dec 29, 2017
if u like the job and the salary is fat after probation. don't think it twice before accepting. no job for naija

1 Like

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by BabaIbo: 9:38am On Dec 29, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:
Many wrong responses here all predicated on you selling your dignity because the economic situation in the country is bad.

A job is an agreement to trade your skills and time for emolument. If you are working free then you don't have a job.
The probationary period is to allow for time to prove that there is a fit between you and the company without legally committing either party. It does not include working for free.

Any good manager should know that an entry level staffer will need funds and should be supported as much as possible. That is why big companies grant clothing, housing, transport and other allowances. Not all companies are equally buoyant but that should not be used as an excuse for maltreating staff.
The issue here as I see it, is not allowances, but that they are not even prepared to pay you a salary.

Based on my personal experience in, and observation of the Nigerian work space, I can assure you that any organization that can ask this of you, will unpleasantly surprise you in the future. In fact, I can guarantee it.

Go back to the MD or HR. Explain to him that your financial situation will not permit you to work for free. Gauge his / her response. It will give you a guide as to what to expect from the company.

In the final analysis, it's your decision whether to accept or reject the 'offer'. Perhaps there are peculiar advantages to be gained or skills to be acquired from this arrangement. If so, you can bend the arrangement to work to your advantage.

Good luck.

wow, Thanks and God bless Bro... I will do just that,
There is this African adage that says person wey dey ask question no dey miss road... nice one
Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by BabaIbo: 9:54am On Dec 29, 2017
Richy4:
I might be wrong but my instinct tells me you have taken the job already.. .

and u wants to now know if you made the right decision...

Why not continue with it and show them your best behavior and why they should convert you to a permanent staff by working hard. .. by the way congratulations.. smiley
Sharp guy smiley
Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 10:01am On Dec 29, 2017
I did 1 year probation before I was confirmed as a full staff...

1 Like

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by BabaIbo: 10:07am On Dec 29, 2017
smithsydny:
Any salary withing the period?
yeah, allowance
Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by BabaIbo: 10:17am On Dec 29, 2017
Thank you all... I will give it my best. By God's grace it will work out in my favour
Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by Nobody: 10:23am On Dec 29, 2017
BabaIbo:

yeah, allowance
good take it and learn

1 Like

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by BabaIbo: 10:30am On Dec 29, 2017
smithsydny:
good take it and learn
Thanks Bro
Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by Nobody: 10:34am On Dec 29, 2017
You've gotten the job, but on the basis you prove to your employers you're capable of getting your tasks done; by using your initiative with less supervision.

Be reliable, friendly and punctual. Ask questions if something isn't clear to you. Wish you best of luck!

1 Like

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by Nobody: 10:36am On Dec 29, 2017
BabaIbo:

Thanks Bro
bless u bro.. Still look out for better opportunity

1 Like

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by Bluehill1051: 11:16am On Dec 29, 2017
If you have a better alternative, go ahead but if u don't, maybe you should stick with this. Likely you'll be fully employed in the later and like my bro above said, "half bread is better than none "

1 Like

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by Chiccly(f): 11:43am On Dec 29, 2017
If you have a choice,then you can personally decide.Otherwise,no let hunger kill you for house.At all at all na him bad. cool cool cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by BabaIbo: 2:26pm On Dec 29, 2017
smithsydny:
bless u bro.. Still look out for better opportunity
yeah sure
Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by beyondwalls: 4:24pm On Dec 29, 2017
Nice one @ IamaNigerianGuy

The other thing you may need to do is clarify your KPI in clear and smart terms. So that at the end of your probation, there wont be any mago mago. Btw, almost every coy has a probation period for new entrants some even do 6months but not with peanuts pay.

1 Like

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by KeVN9: 4:41pm On Dec 29, 2017
BabaIbo:
Help, I just got a job but my employer told me I will be put on a 3-month probation before being fully taken as a staff.
meanwhile I will only be given an allowance during the course of the probation and my full induction as a staff will depend on my performance.
I need an advice on what to do since am new to the employment wirld, so I won't take the wrong step please

Would advise you not to accept such offer. Speaking from experience

1 Like

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by thesicilian: 5:37pm On Dec 29, 2017
tstx:
Its like you have another choice
Lol. I tire o.

2 Likes

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by Showie84(m): 7:58pm On Dec 29, 2017
BabaIbo:
meanwhile, I will only be given an allowance during the course of the probation and my full induction as a staff will depend on my performance.
I need an advice on what to do since am new to the employment world, so I won't take the wrong step please

Skill acquisition matters a lot. If the allowance covers your basic needs (feeding, accommodation.....) and the work environment offers some form of mentorship and skill acquisition, please go ahead. I moved to Kano 7 years ago to work under these same conditions (3 months probation and 30k monthly salary afterwards). A lot of my friends and family, if not all believed i was mad. Today, the experience i gained while on that job is probably the reason why, 7 years later, i work as a project manager/business analyst in Canada. Most of the folks that discouraged me are still stuck in the same ol same ol comfort zone jobs in Lagos, waiting for the next month's pay to survive.
there are no hard and fast rules to life, only sometimes, you have to leave your comfort zone and take a risk into the unknown. The choice is yours

1 Like

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by Patokegod: 6:07pm On Dec 30, 2017
Please Accept It O, Because Someone Is Looking For An Opportunity Like That. Keep Yourself Buzy And God Will See You Through.

1 Like

Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by BabaIbo: 10:31am On Jun 05, 2018
Showie84:

Skill acquisition matters a lot. If the allowance covers your basic needs (feeding, accommodation.....) and the work environment offers some form of mentorship and skill acquisition, please go ahead. I moved to Kano 7 years ago to work under these same conditions (3 months probation and 30k monthly salary afterwards). A lot of my friends and family, if not all believed i was mad. Today, the experience i gained while on that job is probably the reason why, 7 years later, i work as a project manager/business analyst in Canada. Most of the folks that discouraged me are still stuck in the same ol same ol comfort zone jobs in Lagos, waiting for the next month's pay to survive.
there are no hard and fast rules to life, only sometimes, you have to leave your comfort zone and take a risk into the unknown. The choice is yours

Thanks
Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by BabaIbo: 10:31am On Jun 05, 2018
Patokegod:
Please Accept It O, Because Someone Is Looking For An Opportunity Like That. Keep Yourself Buzy And God Will See You Through.

Thanks
Re: Help, Should I Accept The Condition Of 3 Months Probation For A New Job Or Not? by vickijamal: 12:37pm On Jun 05, 2018
Find out d pay,if it's favourable go ahead with allowance

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Takes Over Recruitment Duties From Teaching Hospitals / My Experience Today, Searching For Job As A Corp Member / Employer Wants To Hold My NYSC DISCHARGE CERTIFICATE On Resumption.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.