Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

Spouse Of British Citizen Planning Travel To Italy: Which Visa Do I Need? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Spouse Of British Citizen Planning Travel To Italy: Which Visa Do I Need? (676 Views)

29 African Migrants Trying To Cross To Italy Die As Boat Sinks In Tunisia / Which Visa Is Easy For Nigerians To Get In 2023 / Canada Spouse Family Sponsorship Visa/appeal Process (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spouse Of British Citizen Planning Travel To Italy: Which Visa Do I Need? by Mfdoom1: 3:49pm On Dec 23, 2017
Hello,

I got married this year to a British citizen. I then applied for a uk spouse visa, which was refused because I overstayed (I met every other requirement). I appealed the refusal, and now I have to wait for over a year (in the worst case scenario). In the meantime, I'll like to travel to Italy for a short period to maintain a relationship with my wife. My wife will come to join me in Italy, but she's currently working in UK and can take only 3 weeks off. Which visa do I need to travel to Italy? Tourist or spouse of EU citizen.

Please note that my wife can't live permanently in Italy.

Your response will be most appreciated
Re: Spouse Of British Citizen Planning Travel To Italy: Which Visa Do I Need? by GavelSlam: 3:55pm On Dec 23, 2017
Tourist Schengen.

Re: Spouse Of British Citizen Planning Travel To Italy: Which Visa Do I Need? by Mfdoom1: 5:01pm On Dec 23, 2017
Okay thank you. I've gone through the requirements. It looks straightforward. But I don't really know about the international travelling insurance. Can i buy one in Lagos? I'll probably be in Italy for 3 weeks
Re: Spouse Of British Citizen Planning Travel To Italy: Which Visa Do I Need? by Mille: 6:14pm On Dec 23, 2017
You need a tourist visa like someone earlier said. And you can get a travel insurance at any insurance company in Lagos.

I don't understand what you mean by your wife cannot live permanently in Italy. She is allowed by EU law to live in Italy. Perhaps you mean she won't want to because has a job in UK.

Lastly, her bringing a married spouse to UK means strict UK immigration laws, and strict financial requirements. If you are both truly married for the right reasons, she can come work in Italy for 3 months. Then you apply using the easy Surinder route.
Re: Spouse Of British Citizen Planning Travel To Italy: Which Visa Do I Need? by Mfdoom1: 7:30pm On Dec 23, 2017
Many thanks for your response.

She has a research job in the UK (she's a fully funded PhD researcher), and will not be able to leave that for a job in Italy. We are really married. Our appeal was refused because I overstayed in July the UK- but we are currently waiting for the outcome of our appeal. In the meantime, we want to go to any Schengen country (Italy seems to be the easiest to acquire a visa from what I've heard) for about 3 weeks, after which I will be coming back to Nigeria. I've heard of the Surinder route but I don't think it will work, given that she has work commitments in the UK.

I've gone through the tourist visa application for Italy and looks a bit tricky. Not sure what to put in the employment bit, as I'm currently unemployed. I do have sufficient funds in my bank account though. I'm also not sure of what to put in the part where they ask for passport details of my host in Italy. Don't know how this will work if me and my wife will stay at a hotel.
Re: Spouse Of British Citizen Planning Travel To Italy: Which Visa Do I Need? by Lexusgs430: 7:56pm On Dec 23, 2017
Mfdoom1:
Many thanks for your response.

She has a research job in the UK (she's a fully funded PhD researcher), and will not be able to leave that for a job in Italy. We are really married. Our appeal was refused because I overstayed in July the UK- but we are currently waiting for the outcome of our appeal. In the meantime, we want to go to any Schengen country (Italy seems to be the easiest to acquire a visa from what I've heard) for about 3 weeks, after which I will be coming back to Nigeria. I've heard of the Surinder route but I don't think it will work, given that she has work commitments in the UK.

I've gone through the tourist visa application for Italy and looks a bit tricky. Not sure what to put in the employment bit, as I'm currently unemployed. I do have sufficient funds in my bank account though. I'm also not sure of what to put in the part where they ask for passport details of my host in Italy. Don't know how this will work if me and my wife will stay at a hotel.

She should simply visit you in Nigeria.......
Re: Spouse Of British Citizen Planning Travel To Italy: Which Visa Do I Need? by Mille: 12:07pm On Dec 25, 2017
Mfdoom1

I am sorry I cannot help you there. I haven't applied for a tourist visa and I don't know way around it. But I'm guessing it will be easier since you already have some travel history.

I also hope her funded PhD will be enough for the financial requirements.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Apply
You either get approved or refused.
Re: Spouse Of British Citizen Planning Travel To Italy: Which Visa Do I Need? by claremont(m): 12:39pm On Dec 25, 2017
Mfdoom1:
Hello,

I got married this year to a British citizen. I then applied for a uk spouse visa, which was refused because I overstayed (I met every other requirement). I appealed the refusal, and now I have to wait for over a year (in the worst case scenario). In the meantime, I'll like to travel to Italy for a short period to maintain a relationship with my wife. My wife will come to join me in Italy, but she's currently working in UK and can take only 3 weeks off. Which visa do I need to travel to Italy? Tourist or spouse of EU citizen.

Please note that my wife can't live permanently in Italy.

Your response will be most appreciated

You don't have to go to Italy for this, your wife can come see you in Nigeria or any African country for a holiday. You will most likely get refused the schengen visa by reason of the fact that you have overstayed in an EU country, no harm in trying though. Good luck.

(1) (Reply)

Brb / The Federal Government Wants You To Name The New National Carrier / The Cost And Difficulty In Traveling From Nigeria To Egypt By Air.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.