Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,110 members, 7,835,750 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Peremobowei Shedrack Erebulu Visits Oboro Gbaraun In Delta State. Photos - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Peremobowei Shedrack Erebulu Visits Oboro Gbaraun In Delta State. Photos (33089 Views)

3 Young Women Who Are Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Rivers State (Photos) / 19 Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Okrika, Rivers State. Photos / Peremobowei Shedrack Erebulu Becomes The Youngest King In Ijaw Nation. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peremobowei Shedrack Erebulu Visits Oboro Gbaraun In Delta State. Photos by Nobody: 6:52pm On Dec 29, 2017
Although this arrogant Ijaw guy called nengibo is nowhere to be found online, I'll go ahead with my post. There are some wrong information being spread that the title "Olu of Warri" came into existence in less than 80 years ago. I'll say this, as far as Delta is concerned, the Olu of Warri is the number 1 king. This has been on since time immemorial, the Portuguese and English men know this. I won't quote an Itsekiri website because you all may doubt. Below is an Urhobo website that has the story, read and understand.

Excerpt from the page:

"The Itsekiri call themselves Itsekiri or Iwere, … In English literature they are known as Warri or Jekri,…. Warri and Itsekiri have been spelt in many different though recognizable ways by European writers e.g. Oere, Ouere, Awerri, Owerri, Jekri and Jakri."

Historical accounts show usage of several anglicized versions of the name and references to the Olu of Warri. On pages 66 and 67 of Michael Crowder's The Story of Nigeria, reference is made to Dapper who wrote in the 17th century and referred to the "King of Ouwerre." Also in 1862, Father Jerome Merolla referred to the "reigning Olu of Warri." Sir Alan Burns G.C.M.G. gives account of the "King of Warri" who lived in 1644 on page 75 of his History of Nigeria. A.F.C. Ryder on page 14 of his work, Missionary Activity in the Kingdom of Warri to the early 19th century, in collaboration with a six-man editorial board headed by Dr. Kenneth O. Dike states "… in 1685 the Olu of Warri had again petitioned the King of Portugal to send missionaries …."

http://www.waado.org/Organizations/UHS/WarriPeaceCongress/BackgroundPapers/ItekiriBackgroundPaper.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gani Adams Rolling On The Floor In Church During Thanksgiving (Photos) / Kingmakers Announce Lekan Balogun As Olubadan-Elect / Popular Omens/superstitions In Idoma Land And Their Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.